Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: T-minus One Year And Counting: First Total Solar Eclipse in the USA Since 1979!

Blog Entries

T-minus One Year And Counting: First Total Solar Eclipse in the USA Since 1979!

VALID OPINION CENSORED -- TAKE BACK YOUR BOARD!

Insider
    I saw that in my newspaper a couple of days ago. Meant to post the alert.

I'll dig up that old apricot scarf again for this one.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Long-range forecast is calling for rain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by railroad View Post
    Long-range forecast is calling for rain.
    I plan on being very mobile that day.

I will stay overnight somewhere near Evansville. Then I'll head out early to the location with the best weather forecast. I'll have my favorite visible satellite web site up, and I'll drive to whatever location has clear skies heading up to the event.

I've been waiting for this all my life, and I don't want to have to wait until 2024 (when it will come to Indy, incidentally). I won't be shut out by clouds.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post

I will stay overnight somewhere near Evansville. Then I'll head out early to the location with the best weather forecast. I'll have my favorite visible satellite web site up, and I'll drive to whatever location has clear skies heading up to the event.

I've been waiting for this all my life, and I don't want to have to wait until 2024 (when it will come to Indy, incidentally). I won't be shut out by clouds.
    My second job may not happen next year or may not start as early as it usually does. Either way, if I am at all free, I will do something similar. Definitely worth the effort.
    Eff LBD!

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Learning to drive in the rain in Brownsburg, Indiana
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    * like*

* like*

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    My second job may not happen next year or may not start as early as it usually does. Either way, if I am at all free, I will do something similar. Definitely worth the effort.
    * like*
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    Gosh, aren't you the vain one?

Isn't there a total eclipse in the Indy area in 2018 or 2019?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greg b View Post
    Isn't there a total eclipse in the Indy area in 2018 or 2019?

There are some lucky folks in Southern Illinois...

Blog Entries
    I'd like to take my kids out of class to see the 2017 event with me. Hopefully it's considered enough of a legitimate scientific event that it would be an excused absence. I'd lead a field trip if they weren't so young (they'll be in third and first grades).

Ren, rent a houseboat on Kentucky Lake, less light pollution.

Blog Entries
    That would be awesome for night-time stargazing.

Light pollution doesn't come into play for a solar eclipse. Regular pollution can make the sky hazy though.

Anyway, I want to be very mobile. I'm planning to drive several hundred miles that day to avoid the clouds, if necessary.

Blog Entries
    That brings up an actual fact:

The often-repeated notion that you can't look directly at a total eclipse is erroneous, or at least misleading. The fleeting moments of totality are actually the only time you can should ever look directly at or near the sun.

(Yes, you can also get away with quick glimpses at a sun that is barely peeking above the horizon, or a sun almost entirely obscured by clouds. But that can still be damaging after a few seconds)

I'd like to take my kids out of class to see the 2017 event with me. Hopefully it's considered enough of a legitimate scientific event that it would be an excused absence. I'd lead a field trip if they weren't so young (they'll be in third and first grades).
    Even if it isn't excused, who cares? it will be the early days of school, they won't miss anything they can't make up. IMO, this is worth kids missing school.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Go for it. When your kids get back to school help them with a report to their class. They will benefit more from the experience than the missed time in school and their classmates will get a vicarious experience that will point them to 2024 enthusiastically.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stnkypete View Post
    Even if it isn't excused, who cares? it will be the early days of school, they won't miss anything they can't make up. IMO, this is worth kids missing school.
    I'm not the one who will need to be persuaded.

Blog Entries
    Y'all come on down here. Make it a TF meet up. I already have my spot picked out.
    "And our credo: 'Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc: We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.' Not just pretty words."

TrackForum Pick 5 International Sweepstakes Point Standings

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    Y'all come on down here. Make it a TF meet up. I already have my spot picked out.
    It's cool that it will come near you, but don't get too tethered down in case it's cloudy that day.

I'm not the one who will need to be persuaded.
    Gotcha!

Blog Entries
    Just missed the six-month mark. There are only 178 days to the eclipse!

Who else is making plans?

The wife is warming to the idea of taking the kids out of school because we believe it is a legitimate scientific field trip for them. We might drive down to Evansville and stay in a hotel Sunday evening. Then we'll use it as our base on Monday morning.

I think that's the day I organize my sock drawer.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Yeah, but imagine the sights our later generations will get to see in a few billion years when the Sun gets super bright and boils the oceans and such.

Yeaaah... But, I'm still gone ask on August 22nd why you didn't say something earlier?

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Blog Entries
    Totality at my house.

I've rented 100 folding chairs and will be renting them out. I'll throw in chips, a hotdog and a pair of eclipse glasses all for a mere $100. I'll be piping Floyd's DSM before, during and after the event.

It's gonna be epic.

from a place where the stars begin and end
    Blog Entries
    I've booked to do Route 66, arriving in St Louis for the eclipse. Just need to pay for the mofo now.
    "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Totality at my house.

I've rented 100 folding chairs and will be renting them out. I'll throw in chips, a hotdog and a pair of eclipse glasses all for a mere $100. I'll be piping Floyd's DSM before, during and after the event.

It's gonna be epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
    I've booked to do Route 66, arriving in St Louis for the eclipse. Just need to pay for the mofo now.
    Your location in the St. Louis area will be crucial. The north half of the city and most of downtown are NOT in the path of totality and will miss out on the truly spectacular event. The south side will technically be in the path of totality, but totality will be less than a minute.

You don't have to go too far south to double or even triple the duration of totality. The far southern suburbs get nearly two minutes of totality, and Washington, MO gets 2:30.

I highly recommend looking at an interactive map like this one. Zoom in and click on any location to see the duration of totality. The closer you are to the blue line, the better.

Also, if you plan to remain stationary, be aware that clouds could ruin everything.

from a place where the stars begin and end
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's going to be in vehicles to get to as close to the centre of the path of totality as possible. And if it is cloudy, then at least I will see Route 66.

Blog Entries
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

be aware that clouds could ruin everything.
    Excellent tip.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by window View Post
    Excellent tip.
    Sure, it seems obvious, but the point is that making big stationary plans could backfire. Rain can delay events, but you can often make them up when the rain clears. An eclipse, OTOH, can be ruined by a few puffy cumulus.

I take this seriously enough that I wouldn't dream of being stationary that day.