Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: IU Basketball 2016-2017

I've never heard of Jeff Rabjohns... In fact I don't believe Rabjohns is a real last name of anybody.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Insider
    Barry Alvarez made a ton of money here over the years by not refuting rumors (particularly Miami and also Notre Dame). He got bumps in pay multiple times by letting everyone wonder if he was staying or going (the Miami one was probably the closest as Shalala was chancellor there at the time and they were pretty close still). I'm not comparing Alford's identity at UCLA with Barry's here as Barry built a program from nothing and became the guy. Anyone at UCLA will always be second to the guy there. I'd imagine from the outside Alford would have a significantly better chance of becoming that at IU because of his own history, so I don't think of those as particularly similar. Just a comment on how coaches do not mind letting stuff float out there in order to secure or improve the situation they are in right now.
    Eff LBD!

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    Barry Alvarez made a ton of money here over the years by not refuting rumors (particularly Miami and also Notre Dame). He got bumps in pay multiple times by letting everyone wonder if he was staying or going (the Miami one was probably the closest as Shalala was chancellor there at the time and they were pretty close still). I'm not comparing Alford's identity at UCLA with Barry's here as Barry built a program from nothing and became the guy. Anyone at UCLA will always be second to the guy there. I'd imagine from the outside Alford would have a significantly better chance of becoming that at IU because of his own history, so I don't think of those as particularly similar. Just a comment on how coaches do not mind letting stuff float out there in order to secure or improve the situation they are in right now.
    Guessing the one big difference is no one at Whisky wanted Alvarez to leave, I am not sure the same can be said for UCLA, even with this year.. Edited: I should have added that will only work if you were like Alvarez, wanted by anyone and everyone associated with or a fan of the prgram...
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Guessing the one big difference is no one at Whisky wanted Alvarez to leave, I am not sure the same can be said for UCLA, even with this year..
    Yeah, I tried to make it clear I wasn't really comparing them, more like a general comment about how coaches can and do profit by letting this stuff float. Barry not only was wanted, the perception (probably correct) around here was that if he'd taken the Miami gig, UW would have slipped, possibly quite far and fast. By the time he actually passed the torch (and stayed around as AD which is a mixed bag) he had the team pretty well set to continue. It is a very different situation than Alford at UCLA. Despite my belief that he won't weigh the annoying dad very high on the list of reasons to go, I can easily see him heading to IU. But, there is always the chance he isn't going anywhere and is just being smart about solidifying his position there. Barry is the example of that with which I'm most familiar, so I used that.

Yeah, I tried to make it clear I wasn't really comparing them, more like a general comment about how coaches can and do profit by letting this stuff float. Barry not only was wanted, the perception (probably correct) around here was that if he'd taken the Miami gig, UW would have slipped, possibly quite far and fast. By the time he actually passed the torch (and stayed around as AD which is a mixed bag) he had the team pretty well set to continue. It is a very different situation than Alford at UCLA. Despite my belief that he won't weigh the annoying dad very high on the list of reasons to go, I can easily see him heading to IU. But, there is always the chance he isn't going anywhere and is just being smart about solidifying his position there. Barry is the example of that with which I'm most familiar, so I used that.
    Sorry, I realized that after posting and I tried to clear mine up a little to account for that.. you were spot on... my bad

Insider
    Sorry, I realized that after posting and I tried to clear mine up a little to account for that.. you were spot on... my bad
    No worries - I went and used an example that is definitely different so I got that.

Driver (PW, 1-putt, bird)
    Not sure if legit or not, but Billy Donovan seems to be the hot candidate the last 36 hours....with some claiming to be "in the know" going as far as saying it's a done deal.

We'll see.

Losing to 'Cuse in the Reg Semi's, and then two months later seeing two guys going #2 and #4 in the draft was the beginning of the end for me on the Crean train. High points and low points, but I just think if you have an arguably top 6 CBB "franchise", you need to be IN the tournament 90% of the time, with 2-3 FF runs a decade....and even then...at IU...if you haven't hung a banner in 10 years...the seat would/could get hot.
    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

TD and I were discussing Donovan a few pages ago in one of these threads.

He makes over 6,000,000 at OKC. Has been successful(WC Finals last year) and beginning to find their way now without Durant(Currently 40-29). No, they're not going to beat either the Warriors or San Antonio and make it to the Finals, but neither is any other coach in the Conference. Only Portland, Phoenix, and Minnesota are younger than the Thunder in the Western Conference. All I'm saying, things aren't dead in OKC, why go back to College? Will Indiana match that salary? Can they wait til May possibly?

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    No worries - I went and used an example that is definitely different so I got that.
    Little quiz here for that example. What university has the longest simultaneous each year streak in participating in both a college bowl football game and an NCAA basketball tournament?
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    Little quiz here for that example. What university has the longest simultaneous each year streak in participating in both a college bowl football game and an NCAA basketball tournament?
    Oh, I'm well aware of it. I'm also aware that the Badgers were the only team to make the past three sweet 16s, now four. Also, The Badgers and Michigan are the only teams to play in one of the New Years Day 6 bowl games and make the sweet 16 this season. And, they have one of the longest current and historic streaks of making the basketball tourney. Facebook and the local paper are littered with this stuff down here. It has been a fun run of success in recent years - I always figure it can and will end, but it does feel like the two coaches in place are right for the gigs. And, they are both where they want to be which should help keep them here long-term.

When I was growing up and going to school here, we almost always stunk at anything but hockey. Now, hockey is climbing back up the hill and hopefully it will rejoin them.

I should add - basketball's success feels significantly weirder than football. It just wasn't on anyone's radar forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mattndallas View Post
    Not sure if legit or not, but Billy Donovan seems to be the hot candidate the last 36 hours....with some claiming to be "in the know" going as far as saying it's a done deal.

We'll see.

Losing to 'Cuse in the Reg Semi's, and then two months later seeing two guys going #2 and #4 in the draft was the beginning of the end for me on the Crean train. High points and low points, but I just think if you have an arguably top 6 CBB "franchise", you need to be IN the tournament 90% of the time, with 2-3 FF runs a decade....and even then...at IU...if you haven't hung a banner in 10 years...the seat would/could get hot.

I hear ya, but to split hairs...

Syracuse made the Final Four
    We lost in the third round to UK who won the title -- and we played them as well as anybody
    We lost in the third round last year to the runners-up and played them well

And the NBA drafts on NBA potential -- not college success.
    And that was admittedly a weak draft

And Victor was only a 3-star recruit who TC molded into a lottery pick

His time was definitely up...but the positives and negatives can both be asterisked
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

IU's 6'10" recruit has asked to be released from his national letter of intent.

That okay... Intent is always hard to prove anyway.

6'4" shooting guard asks for his release.

Boy the overall assessment of our recruiting class for next year skyrocketed over night.

It did?

Where?

How about Frank Martin? Being a bouncer, he'd be perfect to keep Knight in line if he ever showed up.

Seriously, he reinvented Kansas St and invented South Carolina. One of those things, is IU a dream job, one doesn't pass up, or stay at South Carolina and SEC second fiddle, tiny fiddle to Football.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    How about Frank Martin? Being a bouncer, he'd be perfect to keep Knight in line if he ever showed up.

Seriously, he reinvented Kansas St and invented South Carolina. One of those things, is IU a dream job, one doesn't pass up, or stay at South Carolina and SEC second fiddle, tiny fiddle to Football.
    DD said if not an IU guy, then try to get Martin. Martin has toned down a bit, players love to play for him, great response when Katz went all PC and tried to get Martin to comment on the Confederate flag outside the arena. The guy used to be uber scary, now he is just scary.. he would be a good hire for IU

Dakich keeps pining for a IU guy and they haven't had one in 17 years. Wasn't he the HC for a bit? How did that work out? I understand he was interim, but still. I think you go with the best coach available. As a Butler fan, a Frank Martin, Gregg Marshall, etc., scares me much more than Alford.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Dakich keeps pining for a IU guy and they haven't had one in 17 years. Wasn't he the HC for a bit? How did that work out?

He was the interim coach that came in to put out the Kelvin Sampson dumpster fire. Hardly how you should judge his knowledge or the success of "an IU guy".

Blog Entries
    DD said if not an IU guy, then try to get Martin. Martin has toned down a bit, players love to play for him, great response when Katz went all PC and tried to get Martin to comment on the Confederate flag outside the arena. The guy used to be uber scary, now he is just scary.. he would be a good hire for IU
    I agree, but... this little blog nugget from four years ago begs to differ.

http://jugofsnyder.com/2012/05/07/cult-of-frank/

Evidently Mr. Glass sort of fired Crean via text message. This according to an interesting article in Sports Illustrated by Pete Thamel in which Crean gave a post-release interview. Classy, Glassy. I am beginning to hope he is next out the door.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Evidently Mr. Glass sort of fired Crean via text message. This according to an interesting article in Sports Illustrated by Pete Thamel in which Crean gave a post-release interview. Classy, Glassy. I am beginning to hope he is next out the door.
    That is not quite accurate or at lest my understnsjnd of it. Crean's agent sent him s text that they needed to meet. Next morning Crean got a text from Glass asking for a meeting. Tom Crean chose not to meet as he figured out what was about to happen. Instead he headed for a already planned flight and vacation.

Well yeah, your boss asks you to meet and you leave town... "Fired" sounds about right.

That is not quite accurate or at lest my understnsjnd of it. Crean's agent sent him s text that they needed to meet. Next morning Crean got a text from Glass asking for a meeting. Tom Crean chose not to meet as he figured out what was about to happen. Instead he headed for a already planned flight and vacation.

Not doubting your story even a little but the Thursday meeting was set as soon as they lost in the NIT. Its an annual meeting after each season.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Not doubting your story even a little but the Thursday meeting was set as soon as they lost in the NIT. Its an annual meeting after each season.
    Agreed, and Tom Crean indeed saw the handwriting on his phone , but he was not notified via a text..

Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    I agree, but... this little blog nugget from four years ago begs to differ.

http://jugofsnyder.com/2012/05/07/cult-of-frank/
    Yeah, Martin had real anger management issues back then, I do wonder if since then he realized he could not let his anger/frustration get the better of him.

Keeping that in mind, I really watched him during the game, and even more afterwords in the locker room, his team really brought him in to the locker room celebration and he seemed to respond like a beloved coach.

Maybe he has not changed, but then again, in this day and age, I don't think he is a HC in Div 1 if he hasn't..

This whole "Indiana guy" pushed by Dakich is pandering to the 50 plus year old crowd. IU could do so much better than Alford. Strip the IU factor away from him, he is just another above-average coach who as hopped around from job to job.

Alford will take this job this time... Simply because he's no longer scared of how Knight might react.