Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: IU Basketball 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    And I just don't discount the regular season titles like you are so willing to do. He's won the B1G outright 2 of the last 4 years. He's regularly in the Sweet 16. He's a class act and we owe him a debt of gratitude for coming here when nobody else would even consider it. I'm not willing to trash him just because I feel its my birthright to go to Final Fours.

I'm recognize I'm in the minority but I'm okay with that. And until i hear a reasonable replacement I'm not impressed with the calls to fire him.
    But you are quick to point out the championship banners last won 30 years ago. IMO, that's a Butler mentality. I'm happy to see Butler in the Sweet 16. But as IU fans, given the history of the program, being #1 in the state from a media audience, alumni base, $$, etc., is Sweet 16's satisfying? If IU wants to be talked about in the same breath at Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc., don't they have to get a Final 4 at least once in 4 years?
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

It wasn't very long ago that everybody wanted Thad Matta, Shaka Smart, and the guy from Florida Gulf Coast. How are those guys doing?

Did you see Mark Few's comments on why he would never come to IU?
    Shaka is just getting his feet wet @ Texas. The cupboard is pretty bare apparently and top recruiting class coming in. How did Crean do in his first few years? Thad has had some not good seasons of late. Comparable to IU. But it's a football school, as long as the program is competitive, not much to worry about.

Why would Mark Few ever want to leave the conference Gonzaga is in??

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    But you are quick to point out the championship banners last won 30 years ago.
    Why wouldn't I be?

IMO, that's a Butler mentality.
    I was alive for the last three IU titles. No comparison to me.

I'm happy to see Butler in the Sweet 16. But as IU fans, given the history of the program, being #1 in the state from a media audience, alumni base, $$, etc., is Sweet 16's satisfying? If IU wants to be talked about in the same breath at Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc., don't they have to get a Final 4 at least once in 4 years?
    I really don't care how we compare to other schools. That's Purdue's thing. I would prefer to go deeper in the tournament but it doesn't change my life in any way. And I'm not willing to "FIRE HIM" if we don't make it.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Shaka is just getting his feet wet @ Texas. The cupboard is pretty bare apparently and top recruiting class coming in. How did Crean do in his first few years?
    I know you didn't just compare what Crean inherited to what Smart did.

Thad has had some not good seasons of late. Comparable to IU.
    Another shot at IU. Has tOSU won two of the last four B1G titles?

But it's a football school, as long as the program is competitive, not much to worry about.
    Not the point.

Why would Mark Few ever want to leave the conference Gonzaga is in??
    He isn't going to win a national championship where he is. And he isn't coming to IU because its fans are too whacked out.

Driver (PW, 1-putt, bird)
    I dunno man.

The 12-13 team was really the only "Indiana level" impressive team I have seen, and even they flamed out. Three NBA players on that team.

Last year's B10 title was more of taking advantage of the lopsided B10 scheduling. We won at Iowa, and held serve at home. We didn't play the #2 and #3 teams on the road. Just freaky weird how we got the good teams once....and at home...best schedule I have ever seen.

Even then, we did the typical BTT flame-out, got stuck with a #4 seed because of it, and made it no further than the regional semi's.

If you're the HC at Indiana, you need to get to a FF within your first 10 years. That should be expected.
    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

We were a #5 last year but beat the #4 team. Remember that?

But again...who do you replace him with?

We were a #5 last year but beat the #4 team. Remember that?

But again...who do you replace him with?
    A guy that knows defense?

Or at least has heard about it.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Side splittingly funny stuff.

Who?

Indiana had some offense last night.

They're trying to make me care before they let me down one more time this season.

Can't play slow

Blog Entries
    For those hoping Coach Knight will return to IU for a visit...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

He just said what everybody else who has been fired thinks.

He just said what everybody else who has been fired thinks.

He wished all of the former administration death!! What a sad old man.
    Last edited by beej; 03-11-2017 at 03:39 AM.
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

That also describes the guy who yelled at Crean after the game last night.

That also describes the guy who yelled at Crean after the game last night.
    Wow, angry white dude... wonder with this Maryland red sweater what his connection is to IU. He should at least get a participation trophy in this discussion of angry white men. .

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    For those hoping Coach Knight will return to IU for a visit...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
    I stopped wanting Knight to come back before he skipped the tribute to the 1976 team but showed up a week later to thump for Trump. His act was old before he left Texas Tech... And I was a Bobbyball Disciple.

Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

For what its worth i saw him a few weeks ago and don't believe his health to be good.

Not sure how medicated he was when he said that.

For what its worth i saw him a few weeks ago and don't believe his health to be good.

Not sure how medicated he was when he said that.
    Kind of interesting observation, when I heard the tape of the Patrick show, he didn't really sound like himself either, which made me wonder. That would make this latest saga even more sad. I was not a fan of his, even before his W's turned in to more L's but I do not wish him ill either.

It was obvious in his appearances of the last year or two that he either wasn't well or age had really come up hard on him.

IU is a #3 seed but has to play on the road due to renovations at Assembly Hall.

Now the truth: IU turned down the opportunity to host because the students are on spring break.

The N.I.T.s are already out?

Now the truth: IU turned down the opportunity to host because the students are on spring break.

IU will likely put forth about as much effort as Kentucky did a few years ago when they played at Robert Morris in the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    IU will likely put forth about as much effort as Kentucky did a few years ago when they played at Robert Morris in the NIT.

I predict JBJ won't guard anybody, Thomas Bryant will think he's a shooting guard, our little guys will dribble the ball until it bleeds, DeRon Davis will play well but get limited minutes, and IU will have twice the turnovers of its opponent.

I predict JBJ won't guard anybody, Thomas Bryant will think he's a shooting guard, our little guys will dribble the ball until it bleeds, DeRon Davis will play well but get limited minutes, and IU will have twice the turnovers of its opponent.
    So is this bad coaching? Any chance these guys realize that how they play in the NIT might contribute to Crean's future at IU? Or have they all checked out including the HC?

He's the same coach he was last year when he won the B1G and beat UK to advance to the Sweet 16.

I don't think anybody has quit. I think the team has no heart.

Insider
    He's the same coach he was last year when he won the B1G and beat UK to advance to the Sweet 16.

I don't think anybody has quit. I think the team has no heart.
    I know you guys hear him a lot more than folks outside the Indy area, but I heard Dakich talking about this maybe a month ago - I don't recall if it was an IU-UW game or I caught IU playing someone else. He basically said what you are here, TD. It sounded like he really thought the team had no leaders and his point was that without people who step up, a coach can really only do so much to keep them focused. Nothing we all haven't heard before about other teams, but the way he discussed it regarding IU seemed pretty on the mark. I don't follow them enough to know, but it made sense when he was discussing it.
    Eff LBD!

It's not all that involved... We have a defense that anbody can score on when pinch comes to shove.