Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: IU Basketball 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    He's the same coach he was last year when he won the B1G and beat UK to advance to the Sweet 16.

I don't think anybody has quit. I think the team has no heart.
    Question, and not being argumentative, but playing with no heart and quitting is sort of the same thing to me. If you have no heart you quit, if you quit you have no heart.

Yes, that to me is the problem with Crean, he is the same coach doing the same thing game after game. If IU plays a team that can take away our offense, we seem to have nothing...

One thing about a Bob Knight coached team, IU dictated the game on both sides of the ball. That simply does not happen or happen very often with a Crean coached team IMHO
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Tom Crean isn't Bob Knight..I think we can all agree on that.

The rest I'm not going to debate as there's no point.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Tom Crean isn't Bob Knight..I think we can all agree on that.

The rest I'm not going to debate as there's no point.
    A. I wasn't comparing Knight to Crean
    B. Not wishing a debate.

One guy who I hope does not come to IU is Aflord, that train I believe has left the station.

No matter the take on Crean and his coaching, this team and its quit or heart.. we miss Yogi far more than I think almost anyone could have predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    A. I wasn't comparing Knight to Crean
    B. Not wishing a debate.

A. I know. It was a poorly worded attempt at stating that we aren't going to get another Bob Knight and expecting Crean or anybody else to measure up is asking to be unhappy

B. Again, that wasn't meant about you. It just meant that there is no winning on either part.

One guy who I hope does not come to IU is Aflord, that train I believe has left the station.
    You have lots of company and I don't understand it. Good coach. Class act. And he could recruit Indiana kids.

No matter the take on Crean and his coaching, this team and its quit or heart.. we miss Yogi far more than I think almost anyone could have predicted.

Alford didn't handle the Pierre Pierce "situation" well at all in Iowa, he jilted UNM to go to UCLA but more than that, I wonder if "his time" is past with IU. I will cheer for him and IU if he comes to IU at some point, but I have misgivings about how successful he would be...

Maybe you can add some perspective TD, but why would IU not take the home court advantage for the NIT game against Georgia Tech? Is Glass afraid of the attendance, or that fans will boo this coach?

My 2 cents from way out in the peanut gallery? IF attendance is poor, IF Crean gets booed and IF IU were to get beat, would the drum beat for Creans firing be so loud it could not be ignored???

I always thought and still think that when a coach gets the boot when somewhat successful, it is the alum that dictate ouster. Money talks, coaches walk.

Alford botched the Pierce deal. Can't blame him for pursuing a better opportunity.

I'm baffled by Glass. Whatever reason you think it is...is reason to fire the coach.

Alford didn't handle the Pierre Pierce "situation" well at all in Iowa, he jilted UNM to go to UCLA but more than that, I wonder if "his time" is past with IU. I will cheer for him and IU if he comes to IU at some point, but I have misgivings about how successful he would be...

Maybe you can add some perspective TD, but why would IU not take the home court advantage for the NIT game against Georgia Tech? Is Glass afraid of the attendance, or that fans will boo this coach?

My 2 cents from way out in the peanut gallery? IF attendance is poor, IF Crean gets booed and IF IU were to get beat, would the drum beat for Creans firing be so loud it could not be ignored???

I always thought and still think that when a coach gets the boot when somewhat successful, it is the alum that dictate ouster. Money talks, coaches walk.
    I don't think Crean gets fired...if anything he and IU agree to mutually part-ways. That only works if IU has a slum dunk hire in the hopper...a la Tony Bennett, Steve Alford, Sean Miller, Chris Mack, etc.

Crean's tenure has ran it's course, IMO.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Alford botched the Pierce deal. Can't blame him for pursuing a better opportunity.

I'm baffled by Glass. Whatever reason you think it is...is reason to fire the coach.
    I think maybe doyouloveit is right, whenever there is a coaching change, Crean will leave by mutual consent.

While that was an impressive list of potential replacements, wooing some of those names to Indiana will be tough as we do not have a blue blood program at this point and time. not knocking anyone, just the way it is.

I am not clamoring for Crean's ouster, but I also do not think he is the coach for IU either. That being said, it would be unwise and unlikely he will be replaced without a new hire ready in the wings.

I just wonder what the deep pocketed alum think of electing to not hosting a home game??

They aren't going to simply agree to part ways. Crean might leave to take another job but they won't just agree to part. To do so Crean would have to walk away from millions.

IU is still a blue blood and it is a basketball school. Its single biggest hurdle will be finding a coach who can tolerate its bat-**** crazy fans.

And somebody's going to have to explain to me why these other coaches would come to IU. Especially Miller.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Wichita State coach makes more than the IU coach.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Wichita State coach makes more than the IU coach.
    I know that's a shocker!
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

They aren't going to simply agree to part ways. Crean might leave to take another job but they won't just agree to part. To do so Crean would have to walk away from millions.

IU is still a blue blood and it is a basketball school. Its single biggest hurdle will be finding a coach who can tolerate its bat-**** crazy fans.

And somebody's going to have to explain to me why these other coaches would come to IU. Especially Miller.
    mutual consent would not mean it would not be a sweet deal for Crean, just that he would leave without being fired and terms would be negotiated

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Red View Post
    I know that's a shocker!

We're they named as a tribute to all the local linemen... Or just one late local lineman in particular?

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Walk away from millions to make millions....it would be wash.

Kentucky, Kansas, UNC et al all seem to get over the hurdle to find a HC that tolerate's bat-**** crazy fans. You find a coach that can recruit and win.

And to be honest, Crean has had PLENTY of time to get to a final 4. That's what "blue blood" schools do. Almost 10 years to get it done and still has a job....not sure how what would be a big red flag for a potential big hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Walk away from millions to make millions....it would be wash.
    If he has another job. I prefaced that.

Kentucky, Kansas, UNC et al all seem to get over the hurdle to find a HC that tolerate's bat-**** crazy fans. You find a coach that can recruit and win.
    Easy. Alford. Oops...the fans don't want him.

Besides, UK was easy as they have no moral compass to follow.

And to be honest, Crean has had PLENTY of time to get to a final 4. That's what "blue blood" schools do. Almost 10 years to get it done and still has a job....not sure how what would be a big red flag for a potential big hire.
    Bat **** crazy fans have wanted him fired since day one. I've read it on this very forum.

Bat **** crazy fans yell, "Tom Crean sucks" at his son's high school games.

Bat **** crazy fans totally ignore a great season if we lose to the ultimate champion or runner-up in the third round.

Bat **** crazy fans think '02 was a great season because we made the finals even though we were tremendous under-achievers all season.

Bat **** crazy fans care only about winning in the tournament and don't give a crap about character, regular season, education, or much of anything else.

If he has another job. I prefaced that.

Easy. Alford. Oops...the fans don't want him.

Besides, UK was easy as they have no moral compass to follow.

Bat **** crazy fans have wanted him fired since day one. I've read it on this very forum.

Bat **** crazy fans yell, "Tom Crean sucks" at his son's high school games.

Bat **** crazy fans totally ignore a great season if we lose to the ultimate champion or runner-up in the third round.

Bat **** crazy fans think '02 was a great season because we made the finals even though we were tremendous under-achievers all season.

Bat **** crazy fans care only about winning in the tournament and don't give a crap about character, regular season, education, or much of anything else.
    Wow, to quote the great Lady Grantham, " Does it ever get lonely on the high moral ground?" I appreciate your passion, but I think you are being a bit unfair to those who see the program s bit differently.

There are plenty who see it differently that I have no problem with.

Bat **** crazy I have a problem with. So did Mark Few when he was offered the job.

Nice insult though.

I desperately wanted Steve Alford to coach at IU, but the way they blew him off without as much as an offer when they really needed him I don't want him to take the job now, or at all.

He is a great guy, a helluva basketball mind, and a Hoosier through & through.

There are plenty who see it differently that I have no problem with.

Bat **** crazy I have a problem with. So did Mark Few when he was offered the job.

Nice insult though.
    Hey you have to do something special to bring out my inner Lady Grantham.

Yikes, Crean's hair!!

Still find IU giving up a home game irksome!!!! What is Glass saying???

Hey you have to do something special to bring out my inner Lady Grantham.
    I'll take that as a compliment.

I would love to know that answer.

IU is still a blue blood and it is a basketball school.

IU basketball has become Notre Dame football. Living off of their past success and non-sensical fans clinging to the past and thinking 1987 (for IU) or 1988 (for ND football) were just a few years ago. Those days are long gone and likely not coming back for either in any sort of consistent fashion.

Crean isn't a bad coach. His act is tired and his inane trash talking to opposing coaches a joke, but he's just like most coaches in college basketball. You get rid of him and all you are gonna do is get another Crean. Sean Miller would be beyond crazy to leave Arizona. Its a much better job now then IU. Alford would be crazy to leave UCLA. Its also better and IU has had chances to hire Alford before and never seemed interested. Tony Bennett's style would put IU fans to sleep and likely won't ever win anything big come March and he's much better suited to coach at a school like Virginia. Chris Mack is Tom Crean from about 12 years ago. The only reason he'd leave Xavier for any job is more cash.

IU and their fans just have to realize where they actually stand TODAY in the college basketball world. Its a lot closer to Ohio State or Michigan then it is Kentucky or Kansas. But that's OK you can still have a successful program and not be Kentucky or Kansas or the real top tier programs. But some of the IU fans egos won't allow that.

Blog Entries
    IU has the worst fans in the state. Not all IU fans are bad, but the ones that are (like the ones who today still make excuses for Knight) are just downright awful.
    Willo
    "If I believed in fairy tales, I never would have dropped out of Kindergarden"

From an IU forum:

I'm sick and tired of these so called boosters. They rather spend money on 3D technology and renovations than having a winning basketball program. All they are looking for is to put their name on something.
    /bat****crazy

And that's just one of many.

I would love to know that answer.
    It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. None.