Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NON-IU 2016-17 college basketball thread

I don't typically get caught up in the "insert name" of the year award. But how is possible that Butler's HC Chris Holtmann didn't make the Top 10 Naismath HC of the year award? Butler lost 65% of their scoring from last season and was picked to finish 6th in the Big East. To top that, Butler is 4-0 against the coaches on the list....Jay Wright, Sean Miller and Chris Collins.

Holtmann may very well win the Big East coach of the year.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Plays well with Others
    Ball State wins their 20th game tonight, finishing 20-11 and tied for 1st in the MAC West. First 20 win season since I was in school. They secure a first round bye in the MAC conference tournament with a Kent State loss...anyway a solid season to build on. They're not in the Dance without winning the MAC, but even the NIT would be nice for us.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Ball State's success brings back memories of Rick Majerus.

Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Plays well with Others
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Ball State's success brings back memories of Rick Majerus.

Those were the days...I came to school when Ray McCallum was there and they were pretty good those years. Having Bonzi Wells didn't hurt, but even after he left they were quite good. Made the Dance in 2000 and gave a great UCLA team a heck of a game for most of it. 2001 started great but fizzled, and then it was all downhill. There was once a time when Butler and Ball State were equals in hoops (see 2001, both schools ranked and playing at a sold out Worthen Arena). We all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    That's a killer. Alec Peters is a stud.
    Apparently so, losing to a 10-23 team. #1 and #2 out of the Horizon already.

Purdue is in a great position to have two great tourney showings this year, and with Swanigan moving onto the NBA next year they definitely need it.
    How can pork be wrong when people eat more pork than any other protein on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    Apparently so, losing to a 10-23 team. #1 and #2 out of the Horizon already.
    The number 3 seed is now also out of the horizon league tournament. Congrats again to the horizon league management for that change to venue and format ensuring they can win that coveted 16 seed. With just a little more effort they can reach up and grab the play in game for their tournament winner!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canth View Post
    The number 3 seed is now also out of the horizon league tournament. Congrats again to the horizon league management for that change to venue and format ensuring they can win that coveted 16 seed. With just a little more effort they can reach up and grab the play in game for their tournament winner!
    Relax, Northern Kentucky made it in with a respectable 24-10 record.

ESPN Bracketology has them as a #15 seed right now.
    I'm starting to understand why so many women feel negatively toward males. I had always assumed that the predators made up a small fraction of male-kind, but I may have been wrong. When you impose yourself on an unwilling target, you do great harm to both sexes. Time to grow up, boys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    The other big news is Northwestern. They will most likely be in the NCAA tournament for the first time ever. There are very few other teams that have never been in it -- Army, The Citadel and William & Mary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Teams get added to DI almost every year, and a few of them who have been eligible for only a couple years should also be included, such as NJIT.
    Northern Kentucky and Jacksonville State both just qualified for their first NCAA tournament. Granted, NKY joined DI in 2012, but Jacksonville State has been around since 1995.

BTW, St. Francis (NY) should be added to David's list of teams that have been around as long as the tourney (1939) but have never qualified.

Those teams, unless they win their Conference Championship, they ain't going. It's amazing to me Northwestern hasn't gone especially with the expansion to 64 teams, now 68. Basically, you're saying, they haven't finished in the top 3rd or half of the conference(depending on the season) the last 30 years. Futility.

Kind of like Indiana in Football

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    Those teams, unless they win their Conference Championship, they ain't going. It's amazing to me Northwestern hasn't gone especially with the expansion to 64 teams, now 68. Basically, you're saying, they haven't finished in the top 3rd or half of the conference(depending on the season) the last 30 years. Futility.

Kind of like Indiana in Football
    I'm pretty happy to see they will finally be going this year (knock on wood, I suppose). They are generally one of the easier Big Ten teams for me to pull for in bowls and now, presumably, the tourney.
    Eff LBD!

Blog Entries
    I know some people were pretty honked-off when the Big Ten scheduled its tournament in Washington DC this year and NYC next year.

Well, Jim Delaney has acknowledged that he doesn't expect a sellout for this year's tourney. The location, combined with a somewhat down year for the Big Ten, isn't helping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.54104774b292

At least Maryland is having a good year, but the other two eastern Big Ten teams are not. It will be interesting to see which fan bases will travel well.

So Purdue gets to play Michigan. Michigan is hot right now and of course their plane incident has everyone on the team convinced that they are playing for some sort of destiny. They are all united....

As a Purdue alum, is it bad that I see everything coming at us as bad luck?
    Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Blog Entries
    I too was thinking that it was an unfortunate draw for a #1 seed's first game.

But a good team needs to win games like this, regardless of the circumstances.

I too was thinking that it was an unfortunate draw for a #1 seed's first game.

But a good team needs to win games like this, regardless of the circumstances.

Truth right there!!

Blog Entries
    Speaking of good teams, Kansas just lost to TCU.

Blog Entries
    Oh, thank God.

I'm not being snarky. KU winning both the regular season and conference tournaments can be too much to bear in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
    So Purdue gets to play Michigan. Michigan is hot right now and of course their plane incident has everyone on the team convinced that they are playing for some sort of destiny. They are all united....

Isn't that a requirement to be a Purdue fan?

Biggie will handle Michigan.

Michigan's story is pretty crazy though.

Isn't that a requirement to be a Purdue fan?

Pretty much. lol

Insider
    Michigan's story is pretty crazy though.
    Yeah it is. I don't know if it is enough to get them past Purdue, but it certainly beats a little paintball or ropes course bonding.

Blog Entries
    Purdue hit a shot from beyond half-court to pull to within a point at halftime.

Insider
    Purdue hit a shot from beyond half-court to pull to within a point at halftime.
    That was pretty great.

Insider
    Not sure if I'm allowed to say this here or if it is supposed to be in the IU thread, but man I'm nervous about the Badgers this year. Maybe nervous isn't even the right word. When they are right they can beat anyone, but that has come so infrequently over the season it just seems unlikely they will make any kind of run. They may not win one tonight, though the UW's record against Craen is promising. Still, it will be no surprise if they are out without a win...or if they win one...or if? Basically, just not possible to get a good read on them this season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    That was pretty great.
    I calculated a distance of about 54 feet given the court's dimensions and his approximate location, about eight feet short of mid-court and ten feet from the sideline.

Blog Entries
    Purdue 5-11 free throws.

Make a couple more and you don't go to overtime.

I called it. The "plane crash" will be the story of this tournament. They are getting all the calls, it's a great story, ratings are going up. These are the best two teams in the BigTen, this should have been the Championship. Now Purdue will get a crap seed and out in the first round or two. It's the story of Purdue.... something always happens. ESPN is thrilled to see Michigan win, they can't hardly hold it in...

It's just unreal.

Insider
    I called it. The "plane crash" will be the story of this tournament. They are getting all the calls, it's a great story, ratings are going up. These are the best two teams in the BigTen, this should have been the Championship. Now Purdue will get a crap seed and out in the first round or two. It's the story of Purdue.... something always happens. ESPN is thrilled to see Michigan win, they can't hardly hold it in...

It's just unreal.
    Michigan didn't win because they got "all the calls". I'm sorry for Purdue fans, but that was a pretty great win (and the story is legitimately great).

Blog Entries
    I couldn't care less about their story, as it applies to the game itself. Their story didn't make Purdue miss easy layups and free throws that would have salted it away. It should have never gone to OT.

BTW, as far as officiating, it was terrible. Just plain terrible. But I'm not sure I noticed either team getting the benefit of it.

Basketball officiating, overall, is even worse than football's. I can't watch full basketball games anymore because it's so bad.