Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NON-IU 2016-17 college basketball thread

Quote Originally Posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
    I called it. The "plane crash" will be the story of this tournament. They are getting all the calls, it's a great story, ratings are going up. These are the best two teams in the BigTen, this should have been the Championship. Now Purdue will get a crap seed and out in the first round or two. It's the story of Purdue.... something always happens. ESPN is thrilled to see Michigan win, they can't hardly hold it in...

It's just unreal.
    OMG, seriously, that was just a poorly called game, the refs were bad on both sides of the ball..
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    I couldn't care less about their story, as it applies to the game itself. Their story didn't make Purdue miss easy layups and free throws that would have salted it away. It should have never gone to OT.

BTW, as far as officiating, it was terrible. Just plain terrible. But I'm not sure I noticed either team getting the benefit of it.

Basketball officiating, overall, is even worse than football's.
    I can't watch full basketball games anymore because it's so bad.
    So just curious, since the reffing is bad, how do you chose which part to watch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    So just curious, since the reffing is bad, how do you chose which part to watch?
    I watch until it gets too bad to watch, then check the score throughout, and watch the last few minutes if it's still close.
    If you agree with ISIS and really think God/Nature sends hurricanes as punishment, please explain why he is so angry at Barbuda...

I was specifically referring to the call on Swanigan the ended the game, that was not a foul. The calls went against Purdue the whole 2nd half. Sure, Dackich was whining about the Michigan calls in the first half but they were freaking fouls every single time. I'm sorry Haas doesn't budge when you hack him, but they are still fouls.

And yes, Purdue wins if they hit their free throws. I totally understand that aspect.

I'm just really bummed when run into the Michigan buzz saw in round one. Oh well, time to rest up and get ready for our 6 or 7 seed game... Ugh.
    Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Incredibly disappointing Showing from Purdue today, but then again not surprising.
    How can pork be wrong when people eat more pork than any other protein on the planet.

An OT loss to the hottest team in the BigTen? One of the most entertaining games of the year and it's "incredibly disappointing"? lol How so?

I knew this was going to happen, no one will be beating Michigan in the BigTen, that was the Championship game and Purdue lost in OT on a wacky call (and by not hitting free throws).

Regroup, get healthy and be ready for the NCAA. Being Purdue and sure something else will happen, we expect it but this doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things other than maybe dropping a seed.

I'm just really bummed when run into the Michigan buzz saw in round one. Oh well, time to rest up and get ready for our 6 or 7 seed game... Ugh.
    The B1G Regular season champ a 6 or 7 seed?, doubt they go that low even in a supposed mediocre year for the Big 10.

Thinking probably a 5 seed then be in everyone's pool as that annual 5/12 upset victim

Hey, IU may end up being the last Indiana team standing this week, who predicted that?

Blog Entries
    An OT loss to the hottest team in the BigTen? One of the most entertaining games of the year and it's "incredibly disappointing"? lol How so?
    I echo the "lol."

ARegroup, get healthy and be ready for the NCAA. Being Purdue and sure something else will happen, we expect it but this doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things other than maybe dropping a seed.
    Agreed. Purdue is in no matter what, and now they're at least going to be better rested. (Doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid game for a variety of reasons though, I think you agree.)

yeah, but just imagine if this is next year, they'd be off for two weeks before playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    The B1G Regular season champ a 6 or 7 seed?, doubt they go that low even in a supposed mediocre year for the Big 10.

Thinking probably a 5 seed then be in everyone's pool as that annual 5/12 upset victim

IU was a #5 last year.

'Course second place MSU was a #2
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Hey, IU may end up being the last Indiana team standing this week, who predicted that?
    Notre Dame has secured that distinction. Could be one of the best matchups of the week against Duke tonight at 9 for the ACC title.

Ball State nearly upset a strong Akron team last night too.

Insider
    Don't look now, but Minnesota just tied up the game with about 13:00 to go. Have it on while doing some work - struggling to accomplish much (noted by posting here, I suppose).
    Eff LBD!

Insider
    Minnesota ran out of gas. They made it worth watching, at least.

Insider
    And, the Badgers that sucked in February showed up to the final today.

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    And, the Badgers that sucked in February showed up to the final today.
    That combined with running into the plane crash team of destiny. I called Michigan cruising to a BigTen Championship before Purdue even played them. The Purdue/Michigan game WAS the Championship game. I feel better about my Boilers losing in OT now though... Might wake them up to how hard they are going to have to work in the NCAA.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    I was surprised Minnesota was made a 5 seed second in seeding only to 4 seed Purdue. 7 Big 10 teams in all. Minnesota never cracked the top 25 in the ratings.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCarFan100 View Post
    Incredibly disappointing Showing from Purdue today, but then again not surprising.

I knew this was going to happen, no one will be beating Michigan in the BigTen, that was the Championship game and Purdue lost in OT on a wacky call (and by not hitting free throws).

Regroup, get healthy and be ready for the NCAA. Being Purdue and sure something else will happen, we expect it but this doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things other than maybe dropping a seed.
    I too thought it was incredibly disappointing. The outcome speaks for itself, IMO.

But yes, I knew it was going to happen as well, but that doesn't make it any easier for the program to swallow.

Hope they can regroup and rally in the tourney.

Happy with their seeding though!!!!!

#BBN coming to Indy. That'll be a money maker.

Who did Wisconsin **** off?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    I was surprised Minnesota was made a 5 seed second in seeding only to 4 seed Purdue. 7 Big 10 teams in all. Minnesota never cracked the top 25 in the ratings.
    They were #24 on Jan. 9.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...0/seasontype/2

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Who did Wisconsin **** off?
    A question a lot of people around these parts are asking.

Plays well with Others
    Sort of disappointed Ball State didn't get an NIT invite, but Akron scooped that up. 21 wins and the CIT is an improvement over nothing I suppose. Fun fact, they're playing all their CIT games on the road (by choice) bc it actually saves the school money...in that tournament the home team has to pay the usual staffing/security/etc plus a part of the road team's expenses. So BSU will be heading to IPFW. Should be a good game.

As for the Big Dance, yeah, Wisconsin got hosed. The typical "home court" for Louisville and UK, look for the fog of cigarette smoke over downtown Indy this weekend, lol.
    Not so bold prediction? Gonzaga gets bounced in the Sweet 16 at the latest. Last time they were a 1 seed they lost to Butler early. They've not played THAT toughof a schedule. They historically underachieve (IMO) in the tournament.
    IU gets an NIT berth...the way they've played this year, I don't see them winning than their first game.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    Sort of disappointed Ball State didn't get an NIT invite, but Akron scooped that up. 21 wins and the CIT is an improvement over nothing I suppose. Fun fact, they're playing all their CIT games on the road (by choice) bc it actually saves the school money...in that tournament the home team has to pay the usual staffing/security/etc plus a part of the road team's expenses. So BSU will be heading to IPFW. Should be a good game.
    Head into Fort Wayne cautiously... Just a tip from an I.U. fan.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    IU gets an NIT berth...the way they've played this year, I don't see them winning than their first game.

The way they played last Thursday they could beat anybody.

Won't happen though.

Blog Entries
    I think Purdue got another unlucky draw. Vermont hasn't lost since before Christmas (at Butler, incidentally). I saw them play their conference tourney title game, and they are far from an easy out for the Boilers.

Blog Entries
    Rhode Island got more teams in the big dance (2) in than 32 other states did.

Rhode Island was actually ranked in the Pre-season AP Top 25.

Teams ranked in the pre-season Top 25 that failed to make the tournament:

11. Indiana
    18. UConn
    19. Syracuse
    21. Texas

Not a single voter had Baylor in the Top25.

Not a single voter had Baylor in the Top25.
    The FBI has them on the 10 most wanted list. Does that balance it out?

Insider

There are a lot of people who cannot root for Baylor in any sport - myself included.

Well played.