Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 342

Thread: NON-IU 2016-17 college basketball thread

  1. #1
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1

    NON-IU 2016-17 college basketball thread



    We probably don't need separate threads for each of Purdue, Butler, Valpo, and the variety of other teams followed around here.

    Butler is 6-0 after disposing of #8 Arizona in a tournament in Las Vegas last night. Butler has received some votes, but should be in the top 25 come Monday.

    Purdue is 4-1 after winning the Cancun tournament. Their only loss was a narrow defeat at home against third-ranked, defending-champion Villanova. Purdue is currently ranked #17.

    Valpo is 5-1, losing only at #4 Oregon.

    Notre Dame is 5-0, but they haven't faced a major test yet. They have received some votes but are unranked.

    Even IPFW already has a big win on its resume.

    Sagarin says:

    Purdue (10)
    Notre Dame (14)
    Indiana (16)
    Butler (24)


    After a couple lean years in recent history, it's a great time to be a college basketball fan in Indiana.
    Last edited by Ren Butler; 11-26-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    VALID OPINION CENSORED -- TAKE BACK YOUR BOARD!

  2. #2
    Ohioan thehairpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    11,100
    Ohio State is undefeated. Somehow I don't see this continuing when Big Ten play starts.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

    INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

    my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

  3. #3
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    64,753
    Butler and the team whose name shall not be spoken both have big wins already.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

  4. #4
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Butler peeked into the rankings at #18 this week after a strong showing in the Las Vegas tournament.

    They stayed out west to visit Utah last night -- and dispatched of the Utes with relative ease.



    I hope to be at Hinkle in person with my boys on Saturday to see them take on Central Arkansas.

  5. #5
    Where would the BE be without the 3 newcomers. Real nice W for Butler.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Butler peeked into the rankings at #18 this week after a strong showing in the Las Vegas tournament.

    They stayed out west to visit Utah last night -- and dispatched of the Utes with relative ease.



    I hope to be at Hinkle in person with my boys on Saturday to see them take on Central Arkansas.
    For once in like what it seems 5 seasons, Butler finally has a deep roster and major contributions from bench players. The freshman Kamar Baldwin is already a stud and helluva on ball defender. It's still early in the season and a lot can change, but I'm surprised Butler is where it's at right now. 3 big games in December...@ Indiana St. December 7th, home against Cincy and December 17th Crossroads Classic against IU.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

    "It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

  7. #7
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    64,753
    Most importantly BU is getting some big time recruits.

  8. #8
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Valpo beat #21 Rhode Island tonight.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Most importantly BU is getting some big time recruits.
    More importantly so far are the transfers and grad transfers. But, yes Butler has up their recruiting game....Big East, upgraded Hinkle, TV contract, winning program, etc., it's starting to pay dividends.

    I hope Joey Brunk can get into the rotation on a steady basis, but he is lost on defense right now.

  10. #10
    A friend of Hal. midtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    West Allis (via Indy)
    Posts
    21,829
    Blog Entries
    1
    We can talk about Kentucky losing here, right?
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

  11. #11
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    63,749
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    We can talk about Kentucky losing here, right?
    Always!

    Steve Alford!!

  12. #12
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    64,753
    UCLA fans have been pretty hard on Alford. Hopefully this season has them softening a bit.

  13. #13
    Butler losses at 4-4 Indiana St. they deserved it.

  14. #14
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    64,753

  15. #15
    Plays well with Others
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NE Indy
    Posts
    2,635
    I'd love to see my alma mater, Ball State, become a mid-major player again. At one time they were about on the same level as Butler. (Before Butler went on to become what they are today)...Well, John Thompson's son burnt the program to the ground in the early 2000s and they haven't recovered. I mean, my senior year, Butler and Ball State were both ranked and played in front of 10,500 rowdy fans at Worthen Arena. I doubt the place has been sold out since....they're 5-4 this year and have been decent so far in most games. They have a decent young coach and some talent. I'm not asking for Butler part 2.... Just a few MAC Championships and NCAA berths
    "We named the dog Indiana"

  16. #16
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    64,753
    BSU was great when Rick Majerus was the coach. Too bad they couldn't keep him.

  17. #17
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    First time the all four teams in the Crossroads Classic were ranked, and the games didn't disappoint.

    And I was particularly pleased by both results.

    Butler is now 5-1 all-time in the event.

  18. #18
    Plays well with Others
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NE Indy
    Posts
    2,635
    It was a great event yesterday. Both were good games. Butler proved to me at least to be the ones who wanted it more than IU...They out hustled and outplayed IU for most of the game, despite having less overall talent. The inbounds play at the end was perfect, and IU was asleep at the wheel. Crean seemed to live up to his criticism, great recruiter but less so as an Xs and Os coach. But I think both teams will have something to say come March. Same goes for ND and Purdue. It was cool to see all 4 teams ranked.
    I'm a fan of INDIANA basketball, meaning all Indiana teams. I prefer IU bc I grew up cheering for them. But I want to see them all do well....bc this state is known for our hoops prowess.

  19. #19
    Resident of the NE Vista Mario4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    3 Miles west of IMS
    Posts
    4,406
    Went to the event yesterday and saw two great games. I'm a Purdue fan so was glad to see them get the comeback win. Defensive intensity turned it around in the 2nd half. Swanigan and Vince Edwards had great games.

    Butler is just a pleasure to watch. While they clearly didn't have the pure athletic talent that IU has, they play great team basketball and are superbly coached. Coming out of time out 2 times towards the end of the came they ran two of the best set plays I've ever seen. Perfect execution in pressure situations.

    The Crossroads Classic is a great basketball event and one I would highly recommend.
    "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

  20. #20
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    Crean seemed to live up to his criticism, great recruiter but less so as an Xs and Os coach.
    I'm asking you guys with the friendliest of spirits not to re-hash this conversation here. Historically, this topic always turns into a testy conversation, but there is a dedicated IU thread for that.

    Thanks.

  21. #21
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    The Crossroads Classic is a great basketball event and one I would highly recommend.
    I prefer it every other year when Purdue and Butler don't have to play each other.

  22. #22
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    63,749
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    It was a great event yesterday. Both were good games. Butler proved to me at least to be the ones who wanted it more than IU...They out hustled and outplayed IU for most of the game, despite having less overall talent. The inbounds play at the end was perfect, and IU was asleep at the wheel. Crean seemed to live up to his criticism, great recruiter but less so as an Xs and Os coach. But I think both teams will have something to say come March. Same goes for ND and Purdue. It was cool to see all 4 teams ranked.
    I'm a fan of INDIANA basketball, meaning all Indiana teams. I prefer IU bc I grew up cheering for them. But I want to see them all do well....bc this state is known for our hoops prowess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    Went to the event yesterday and saw two great games. I'm a Purdue fan so was glad to see them get the comeback win. Defensive intensity turned it around in the 2nd half. Swanigan and Vince Edwards had great games.

    Butler is just a pleasure to watch. While they clearly didn't have the pure athletic talent that IU has, they play great team basketball and are superbly coached. Coming out of time out 2 times towards the end of the came they ran two of the best set plays I've ever seen. Perfect execution in pressure situations.

    The Crossroads Classic is a great basketball event and one I would highly recommend.
    Definitely a great atmosphere for sure, and I'm not sure why this event is the victim of so much hate, but I would guess that it may have something to do with the fact that many IU fans feel that it has somehow replaced the IU-UK annual classic.

    Glad to see Purdue come back from a 14 point deficit at the half, Matt Painter seems to be able to coach them up at the half as good as any other coach can.
    Fun game though, and the intensity on the floor could be felt in the stands!

    As for IU... I would think that by most measures they can underperform with the best of them.
    They seem to have an ability to fall asleep on defense with the best of them.
    I don't know about the coaching, but it seems to me as if Crean is a great recruiter but can't get the best of his teams athletic ability to show up on the court. The good thing though is that he is obviously a great recruiter, but at the same time isn't either getting the best out of great athletes... or just unable to fully prepare them for the challenges teams are going to give them, and especially after halftime - just doesn't seem as halftime adjustments or adaptations are his strong point.

  23. #23
    Plays well with Others
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NE Indy
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    I'm asking you guys with the friendliest of spirits not to re-hash this conversation here. Historically, this topic always turns into a testy conversation, but there is a dedicated IU thread for that.

    Thanks.
    Fair enough...didn't mean for that. Like I said I want to see all Indiana teams do well. And right now they mostly all are, including smaller schools like Valpo, IPFW, Ball State....

  24. #24
    ...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Getting Lost in the Golden Years
    Posts
    33,717
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...pping-incident

    GOOD!

    I'd tell him to take a walk.
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "Passive aggressive BS. You aren't interested in learning anything from what I have to say. "

  25. #25
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    I'd tell him to take a walk.
    And then trip him on the way out?

  26. #26
    ...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Getting Lost in the Golden Years
    Posts
    33,717
    Blog Entries
    2
    YES!!!

  27. #27
    Insider Ken-Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,684
    Grayson Allen



    Video clips of all three trips are in the following link:

    http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...-tripping-elon

  28. #28
    A friend of Hal. midtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    West Allis (via Indy)
    Posts
    21,829
    Blog Entries
    1
    My precious...


  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Sunnyvale CA
    Posts
    5,940
    Why is it always the White Guy on Duke we hate.

    Laettner, J.J. Redick, Danny Ferry, now Allen, I'd put Wojciechowski on the list too for all that floor slappin.

  30. #30
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,218
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    Why is it always the White Guy on Duke we hate.

    Laettner, J.J. Redick, Danny Ferry, now Allen, I'd put Wojciechowski on the list too for all that floor slappin.
    Kyle Singler is the one who got away with murder in the national title game against Butler. He was given pretty much free reign under the basket.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •