Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
    I can have most of them on in the background with the exception of Stephen A. Smith. I don't understand how he has a job on the air.
    You mean Screamin' A. Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    A guy that works for my wife has feeds on his that show live sports - not sure what all is available, but he seems to be saying that he gets quite a few live streams.
    I was a single parent from the time my son was 3-on and he was a big fan of two movies Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters. He watched them so many times he would sit there and recite the dialogue as the movie was playing. They were my babysitters I could sit him in front of the TV with one of them on and go across the parking lot at the apartment complex we lived in at the time and do our laundry and come back and he didn't move.

Anyways... anytime someone mentions live streams it reminds me of the time I was in the bathroom taking the pause that refreshes and my son comes running in saying he's got to go and crowds in next to me and starts peeing. I'm a little startled but I'm cool headed enough to warn him to not cross the streams.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Along the lines of Media Boy's thrilling analysis of the television landscape, ESPN has determined that the majority people are not turning to their station for highlights and scores. They are getting scores from apps and are seeing just the highlights that they want to see via apps, social media and other internet-based outlets. Doesn't seem likely to go back that direction.
    Last month, FS1 sacked their Sportscenteresque Live show. Prior to that, they changed the format away from your standard highlights show to more of a talkie thing with those Canadian guys. It didn't help and the ax came. The fact the move barely registered just underscores as much is ESPN struggles, FS1 is in a world of hurt.

I thought the reason ESPN had Stephen A. Smith was that he was the only one willing to appear on camera with Skip Bayless...

Now I have no freakin' idea why he's still there.

I think ESPN has issues as many of you have pointed out. They are far too heavy on personalities that just talk about sports. However, that probably didn't just happen because some exec in Bristol thought it would be cool to shove this idea down the throats of viewers. You have to assume there were trends, viewer studies, ratings, etc. that went into their programming shift from showing a lot of live sports to showing a lot of talking heads pontificating on sports. ..
    Sorry, I don't have to believe that. That's always the excuse when people try to claim there's no media conspiracy. There is way too much evidence to that we aren't dealing with innocent coincidences when it comes to what the media/entertainment industry put out.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson View Post
    Sorry, I don't have to believe that. That's always the excuse when people try to claim there's no media conspiracy. There is way too much evidence to that we aren't dealing with innocent coincidences when it comes to what the media/entertainment industry put out.
    Wait, what?
    Eff LBD!

^^^ What he said.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Fact is that 95% of the value in ESPN, or any of its immitators, is in live games. The vast majority of the other 5% is in highlights (which they do not even do anymore). They could show reruns of the previous night's games, off-beat foreign stuff, exercise videos, or Bugs Bunny prior to 6 PM ET weekdays and no one would care. All of the money spent on these arguers is money wasted.
    PTI gets about 800,000-900,000 viewers every weekday, so certainly would not be wise to shut it down in favor of indycar races.

Depends on how much profit there is to be made from it. PTI (the best, IMHO, and the highest rated of ESPN's plethora of sports argument shows) does OK, but as you work your way backwards up the schedule, the returns get less and less every half-hour. By mid-day, ESPN is hemoraging money, which is why the next round of cuts are coming. ATH gets about 400K, Screaming A gets about 250K, LeBatard gets half of that.

But, of course, gross numbers are not the be all and end all. After all ESPN's highest rated show (NFL games) loses money. The point is how much does the programming cost? Bugs Bunny doesn't cost a thing.

How is the new 'SC6' doing? Because it seems like they put a lot of effort into promotion for that. Just curious if the PTI viewers are immediately turning at 6 or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    Wait, what?
    Try one of these, it might help.

Blog Entries
    Bugs Bunny doesn't cost a thing.
    ESPN would have to pay Warner Bros. Better off with reruns of Mickey.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    Today at the ARF Annual Conference in New York City, ESPN’s Fan and Media Intelligence group presented key viewership findings from the first full year of Out of Home (OOH) data. ESPN has been a first mover in OOH, working in collaboration with Nielsen Media Research, and was the first network to ever secure advertising deals that include OOH as part of overall audience measurement. The findings released today cover a period from Dec. 28, 2015 to Dec. 25, 2016 and include the following:

Out of Home: It’s not just bars and restaurants.

In fact, an ESPN survey revealed that 75 percent of OOH viewing occurrences and instances are at places other than bars and restaurants, including health clubs, waiting rooms, college dorms, airports and hotels.

ESPN networks saw a significant lift in viewership when including OOH, with the highest lifts among younger demographics.

In 2016, OOH increased ESPN’s total day audience by 6.2 percent, while ESPN2 saw a 4.1 percent increase
    Specifically among people 18-24, OOH lifts for ESPN and ESPN2 were 9.1 percent and 6.7 percent, respectively.

People 18-34 accounted for 31 percent of all ESPN/ESPN2 OOH viewing. ESPN OOH viewership is 27 percent more highly concentrated with people 18-34 than the in-home audience.
    http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...g-millennials/

Quote Originally Posted by stnkypete View Post
    Try one of these, it might help.

Better than...

Blog Entries
    I think ESPN has issues as many of you have pointed out. They are far too heavy on personalities that just talk about sports. However, that probably didn't just happen because some exec in Bristol thought it would be cool to shove this idea down the throats of viewers. You have to assume there were trends, viewer studies, ratings, etc. that went into their programming shift from showing a lot of live sports to showing a lot of talking heads pontificating on sports.
    Maybe. Or maybe it was some exec who invented a theory - remember, NASCAR went from concentrating on car brands, Ford vs Chevy vs Pontiac/Olds, to promoting drivers because they did not want the auto companies to be in control.

The only show I watch at all... once or twice a week is PTI... And at least one of the hosts is full of poo on every issue they talk about.

Sometimes both of them.

Blog Entries
    Everything goes fine unless Jason Whitlock guest hosts. Can't deal with him.

The one show I like on ESPN2 (Mike & Mike) is being blown up.

Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Plays well with Others
    I listened to LeBatard a few weeks back and he was talking about the issue of talent leaving ESPN and how they do afterwards. He is not one to shy away from pointing the finger at his own employer....that's part of his whole show. I kinda like it that he's allowed that latitude....

Anyway, he listed the big time personalities that have recently left ESPN: Colin Cowherd, Bill Simmons, Skip Bayless...and earlier ones like Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, etc.

His point was this, at least for radio and a bit for tv....
    Name the people who have gone from ESPN to have great careers. Dan Patrick was one, Rich Eisen was another. He mentioned Keith Olbermann but for different reasons (politics and even he's struggling)
    Meanwhile, others have fallen off the radar. FS1 is still struggling in the ratings compared to ESPN.

His whole point was this. If you leave ESPN, as a radio host, you will most likely be tuned off. LeBatard said that the power of ESPN still draws listeners, and despite recent defections will continue on as such. Again this is mostly the radio side.
    I like LeBatard but he sometimes gets too liberal for me...though he is quick to acknowledge it.
    And I think he's right. Name other hosts that have had massive ratings and success besides DP and a few others.

His whole point was that ESPN still rules the (radio) market. People still tune in to Mike and Mike, LeBatard, Russilo and Kanell, Bomani Jones (can't stand him) etc.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Speaking only for myself...I listen to Mike & Mike then nothing but locals.

But the last week or so has been one Mike or he other and I don't like either without the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    The only show I watch at all... once or twice a week is PTI... And at least one of the hosts is full of poo on every issue they talk about.

Sometimes both of them.

I watched PTI every single night when the Colts (minus management) were chasing perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    I listened to LeBatard a few weeks back and he was talking about the issue of talent leaving ESPN and how they do afterwards. He is not one to shy away from pointing the finger at his own employer....that's part of his whole show. I kinda like it that he's allowed that latitude....

Anyway, he listed the big time personalities that have recently left ESPN: Colin Cowherd, Bill Simmons, Skip Bayless...and earlier ones like Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, etc.

His point was this, at least for radio and a bit for tv....
    Name the people who have gone from ESPN to have great careers. Dan Patrick was one, Rich Eisen was another. He mentioned Keith Olbermann but for different reasons (politics and even he's struggling)
    Meanwhile, others have fallen off the radar. FS1 is still struggling in the ratings compared to ESPN.

His whole point was this. If you leave ESPN, as a radio host, you will most likely be tuned off. LeBatard said that the power of ESPN still draws listeners, and despite recent defections will continue on as such. Again this is mostly the radio side.
    I like LeBatard but he sometimes gets too liberal for me...though he is quick to acknowledge it.
    And I think he's right. Name other hosts that have had massive ratings and success besides DP and a few others.

His whole point was that ESPN still rules the (radio) market. People still tune in to Mike and Mike, LeBatard, Russilo and Kanell, Bomani Jones (can't stand him) etc.
    The radio.

I only listen to the radio when I'm driving my car. I got a new car a couple years ago and when I turned on the radio It switched it to FM and the lowest number on the dial in the Bay area was the NPR station. First thing I listened to was a book review...

Since then I've had no reason to change the dial. I've heard that ESPN has a channel but I've never had cause to look for it. I had that free 6 months of XM and it expired with me never checking it out. I find that listening to NPR taps down my inner beast... Somebody cuts me off and at worse I chuckle and roll my eyes.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post

It is all part of the conspiracy. Don't be naive.

I didn't get the memo.... Say it ain't so! M & M is the only non sporting event I watch consistently on ESPN
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I didn't get the memo.... Say it ain't so! M & M is the only non sporting event I watch consistently on ESPN

Spinning Greeny off to do his own show. Lots of rumors but supposedly Trey Wingo will replace him along with heavy doses of Golic, Jr.

Spinning Greeny off to do his own show. Lots of rumors but supposedly Trey Wingo will replace him along with heavy doses of Golic, Jr.
    Wow.

Are they paying both M&M too much now to have them on one show? Maybe?

I don't like either Greeny or Golic on their own.

And honestly I'd prefer Adnan over Trey.

The M&M deal is yet another plan from the empty suits to revive SportsCenter. Back in the day, when SportsCenter actually was a sports version of the nightly news, watch it for 30 or 60 minutes and know what is going on, the show was, as ESPN still describes it "ESPN's flagship program". And, they showed a rerun of the previous night's late show all morning becuse, umm, 99 days out of 100, the state of sports news (at least in US of A sports) is the same from the last play in California until at least mid-afternoon the next day. Now it seems to want to make SC into 3 unrelated programs. The NBA/politics/rap music SC6 (which is DOWN an average of 9% of the previous version); the late night SVP show, which tries to mix it up with the professional comedians on the late night talk shows (and also way down), and whatever Greenburg is going to do. It would be too much to ask for a straight version of SC, which is what Geenburg did back in the day. My bet is some sort of political show.
    With some hip-hop thrown in, no doubt. *shudders*
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

That is worse breakup than the divorce of Taylor and Burton....

Insider
    I don't like either Greeny or Golic on their own.

And honestly I'd prefer Adnan over Trey.
    Trey really doesn't do it for me. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but he doesn't seem like he should be anything other than a fill in.