Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Speaking only for myself...I listen to Mike & Mike then nothing but locals.

But the last week or so has been one Mike or he other and I don't like either without the other.
    Doug Gottlieb is moving to Fox.

It is always a bummer to feel like something that was "your thing" is no longer "your thing."

I'm not being snarky. I went through a cycle similar to one that many are going through here but it was a few years ago. ESPN went from constant background noise in my life (TV and radio), to a few select programs, to nothing but live sports. I miss it a little bit. But it is no longer for me. That's ok. The world keeps spinning. And I have found new things that are for me ... for the time being.
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    What are your plans for live sports, if you cancel satellite?
    Well, I can't do it.. I like the firestick, but I love my live sports.. I looked at getting an antenna, I looked at Sling, and COMCAST because my internet is slower than their's,

So after seeing what is out there, I decided it might not be a bad idea to see if I have a contract with DTV, surprisingly, because of upgrading to 4K I am under contract with DTV until April of 2018.

Great customer service rep at retentions, she even said that since COMCAST hates DTV, they might off set my penalty to go with Comcast. then she offered me the sports pak for free, $ 5X 12 months and noticing that I have been a long standing NFL ST purchaser noted that I will get NFL ST for free this year. No strings attached if I still decide to opt out,

My internet is centurylink and is slow, but from what I gather, fast enough to live stream..
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

I recently switched from Centurylink to Comcast for my internet access and it is a million times better.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    When it works.

(Seriously, Comcast internet is glorious--when it works. Unfortunately, it has a rude habit of failing just when you need it most. We lost ours once the precise moment I tried to file our taxes electronically. NO fun.)

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    It is always a bummer to feel like something that was "your thing" is no longer "your thing."
    I get it. I was a NASCAR fan in the 1980s

I'm not being snarky. I went through a cycle similar to one that many are going through here but it was a few years ago. ESPN went from constant background noise in my life (TV and radio), to a few select programs, to nothing but live sports. I miss it a little bit. But it is no longer for me. That's ok. The world keeps spinning. And I have found new things that are for me ... for the time being.
    I can remember leaving Sports Center on 20 years ago because it was fun background noise.

They knew they weren't curing cancer or discussing the latest Middle East powder keg; they were just reporting sports scores with highlights and it worked and they appeared to have fun with it.
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Rocky Mountain High
    I don't think I have watched ESPN since they have gotten out of the racing game. I used to watch college football but they don't have the teams I am interested in any more. If they want me they could bring back Thursday night thunder and RPM tonight.

Plays well with Others
    They're really starting to lose me with the contestant politics being interjected into their sports. Look I get it, sometimes the two are intertwined. But in the past several years it's increasingly apparent a lot of their radio hosts are pushing agendas. I don't like that. Sports are supposed to be a diversion from that stuff.

Note: I'm speaking mostly about the radio side of things, since I'm on the road all day. I don't watch Sportscenter much anymore, and except for some football or hoops I don't watch much ESPN at all.
    Radiowise, I like LeBatard and Russilo and Kanell, but I don't care for the rest. Mike and Mike are a cliche now. Bomani is constantly pushing his agenda, and I'm home for the later stuff. I listen to local afternoon (JMV) if I'm in range of 1070
    "We named the dog Indiana"

100 layoffs coming today:

ESPN to lay off about 100 employees today, including on-air talent - Fox News
    https://apple.news/AYE49xB-tShqj_Q1X5Km-1A

A solid twitter follow on the subject:

https://twitter.com/JimMiller

Apparently most of the cuts are so-called "beat writers" assigned to a particular team, city, or niche sport (which certainly includes motorsports). That really is no loss, ESPN had, for example, a particular person following each MLB team, just like the big city newspapers. If I need that level of coverage of a particular team, I will just read the newspaper or listen to local talk radio.

The basic point is since SC is no longer about sports, you do not really need reporters to produce material for it.

Fox so missed the huge opportunity. The market for a SC show done legitimatly is still there. If you live somewhere Sinclair owns a station (which is mostly small markets) they are revamping their ASN sub-channel in partnership with 120 Sports and are reportedly going to do a nightly sports highlights show like ESPN used to do.

Long time ESPN NFL beat writer....Ed Werder sent to pasture.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Getting more difficult to watch ESPN, even the live sporting events I love. I am definitely a dinosaur in a millennial world and damn proud of it!

Dana O'neil college bball writer gone

Paul Khurasky (sp)...AFC south beat writer gone

Blog Entries
    Kuharsky

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Fox so missed the huge opportunity. The market for a SC show done legitimatly (sic) is still there.
    Didn't FS1 launch with that? And it failed? Dusting off the cobwebs but that that is what I recollect. They transitioned it to a chatty coffee-table show to try and salvage and then eventually cancelled it.

Didn't FS1 launch with that? And it failed? Dusting off the cobwebs but that that is what I recollect. They transitioned it to a chatty coffee-table show to try and salvage and then eventually cancelled it.
    IMHO, no. FS1 copied the CURRENT SC. NBA obsessed, lifestyles, hip-hop, political. People that liked the current SC had no reason to switch and those alienated by it had no reason to watch its clone. The thing to have done would have been to copy the SC from ESPN's heydays. The one that covered sports.

In any even, some more names.

Austin Ward - Big 10 football
    Scott Burnside - NHL
    Pierre LeBurn - NHL
    Joe McDonald - NHL
    Brendan Fitzgerald - college football
    Mike Goodman - soccer

Early returns, yes, but notice a patten here? ESPN is doubling down on not covering sports news from sports it does not show. The best player in the NHL could get shot at mid ice and ESPN will cover Russel Westbrook's outfit choices.

Blog Entries
    Other ESPN personalities may see their roles "significantly reduced," a person with knowledge of the situation told The Hollywood Reporter. They include Baseball Tonight's Karl Ravitch, ESPN Radio's Ryen Russillo and Hannah Storm, who has been a mainstay at ESPN for a decade and hosted various iterations of flagship SportsCenter, (An ESPN source said that Russillo will continue to host his radio show.)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-talent-997616

Insider
    Dan Patrick, on his radio/tv show this morning, made several comments about the "massacre" (my word, not his, although it reflects his theme) that would be taking place at "the Mother Ship" today. He suggested that ESPN had mis-read the impact of Millenials' watching habits and had overspent in the wrong directions.

Early returns, yes, but notice a patten (sic) here? ESPN is doubling down on not covering sports news from sports it does not show. The best player in the NHL could get shot at mid ice and ESPN will cover Russel Westbrook's outfit choices.
    True that I don't see any NBA cuts. But I think ESPN carries football, college basketball and baseball.

NFL Paul Kuharsky
    NFL Ed Werder
    NFL Trent Dilfer

NHL Scott Burnside
    NHL Joe McDonald
    NHL Pierre LeBrun

NCAA basketball Dana O’Neil
    NCAA basketball C.L. Brown
    NCAA basketball Eamonn Brennan

ESPNU anchor Brendan Fitzgerald.

Soccer Mike Goodman.

NCAA Big Ten Austin Ward
    NCAA Big Ten Jesse Temple
    NCAA Big Ten Brian Bennett

MLB Mark Saxon
    MLB Jim Bowden
    MLB Doug Padilla
    MLB Jayson Stark

NCAA football Brett McMurphy
    NCAA football Jeremy Crabtree
    NCAA Football Danny Kanell
    NCAA Football Derek Tyson
    NCAA football David Ching

Voiceover Dan Sharfin

ESPN Dallas Jean-Jacques Taylor
    ESPN.com columnist Johnette Howard
    ESPN.com writer Jane McManus

NCAA Big 12 Max Olson

Fired:

Trent Dilfer - NFL
    Johnette Howard - columnist
    Doug Padilla - Dodgers
    Jeremy Crabtree - KC regional
    Dan Sharfin - voiceovers
    JJ Taylor - Dallas regional
    Derek Tyson - SEC football recruting
    Brian Bennett - Big 10
    Max Olson - Big 12
    C.C. Brown - college basketball
    Jane McManus - columnist and on "Sports Reporters"
    Jayson Stark - college basketball
    Jesse Temple - Big 10/Wisconsin
    Mark Saxon - MLB
    Brent McMurphy - college football
    Jim Bowden - idiot GM of Reds and later Nats, shake down artist, moron

Need to see the whole list, but we are seeing a pattern already. SC is going even more into the hip-hop lifestyles show path. The new Greenburg show is being described as "something like Good Morning America or Live with Kelly, but with some sports". Less sports news, less need for reporters. Big cuts to baseball, entire hockey (all 3) department eliminated, big cuts to college sports, some NFL cuts, primarilally the people who focus on a single team or division. Seems to be eliminating some of the "columnists" from the dot com side, which is a good thing as most of that is just preaching. No NBA cuts at all, of course.

This is what ESPN is going to be, going forward. It will still, at least for a while, have a variety of games (races, events, whatever) but the vast majority of the sports argument shows and SC are going to be even more NBA centric than before.

Fired:

Trent Dilfer - NFL
    Doug Padilla - Dodgers
    Dan Sharfin - voiceovers
    Brian Bennett - Big 10
    Max Olson - Big 12
    Mark Saxon - MLB

Need to see the whole list, but we are seeing a pattern already. SC is going even more into the hip-hop lifestyles show path. The new Greenburg show is being described as "something like Good Morning America or Live with Kelly, but with some sports". Less sports news, less need for reporters. Big cuts to baseball, entire hockey (all 3) department eliminated, big cuts to college sports, some NFL cuts, primarilally the people who focus on a single team or division. Seems to be eliminating some of the "columnists" from the dot com side, which is a good thing as most of that is just preaching. No NBA cuts at all, of course.

This is what ESPN is going to be, going forward. It will still, at least for a while, have a variety of games (races, events, whatever) but the vast majority of the sports argument shows and SC are going to be even more NBA centric than before.
    I assume you mean after the NFL. Pro football is still the 8 million pound gorilla in American sports.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Fired:

Trent Dilfer - NFL
    Doug Padilla - Dodgers
    Dan Sharfin - voiceovers
    Brian Bennett - Big 10
    Max Olson - Big 12
    Mark Saxon - MLB

On a lighter note, someone suggested hiring Frank Caliendo to be all of the sports voices at ESPN....

Blog Entries
    Going to miss Jason Stark and Ed Werder. Meanwhile, this is on ESPN right now:

If you did a chart of minutes devoved to the different sports relative to their actual TV ratings, ESPN undercovers the NFL. There is one sport it massivly overcovers. The NBA.

These moves represent a doubling down on that.

Based upon the news of today's layoffs and the direction of ESPN....operating lean and mean to offset the hefty fees paid for sports rights all the while losing subscribers, I'm inclined to think ABC/ESPN is done with Indycar.

I was hoping to see Marlo Klain again one day. Oh well.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Blog Entries
    One thing that gets overlooked is the growth of fantasy sports and the corresponding interest in Red Zone. All action, no commercials. No need for SportsCenter when you've seen everything already.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit
    Based upon the news of today's layoffs and the direction of ESPN....operating lean and mean to offset the hefty fees paid for sports rights all the while losing subscribers,
    Wonder if any of the execs and board are making less money now to help with costs.
    Trying to spell hors d'oeuvres
    Gets upon my hors n'oeuvres