Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    One thing that gets overlooked is the growth of fantasy sports and the corresponding interest in Red Zone. All action, no commercials. No need for SportsCenter when you've seen everything already.
    Same with some of the sport-specific shows. Years ago I seldom missed a baseball tonight episode, now I don't really watch anything like that (including sports center).

I won't argue that they don't play favorites with their own sports (pretty hard to argue against that), but I'm not quite as on-board the it's all because of hip and social commentary bandwagon. IMO, if you go back to the old way ESPN covered things, there simply isn't a market for it with the ability to see highlights and replays instantly all over the internet. TV execs aren't looking for the old guy demographic. ESPN used to have a huge college age demographic, but that age group isn't going to wait around for highlights, no matter what political angle they think the host has so to have any shot at keeping some of the younger demographic (realistic or not) they aren't going back to more traditional SC type coverage. At least, I can't imagine them doing that.
    Eff LBD!

Ruining it for everyone TeamMcLarenF1's Avatar
    Noticed ESPN has not cut any of the yellers and screamers, jugglers and clowns yet. Just solid professional reporters. Sad statement.
    Hot Rod Otis

Maybe if they brought back Australian Rules Football....
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post
    You can find some games for free on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCEL6XhmKc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMcLarenF1 View Post
    Noticed ESPN has not cut any of the yellers and screamers, jugglers and clowns yet. Just solid professional reporters. Sad statement.
    Yeah, this has just been brutal for the beat reporters, including some of the best in the business.
    Willo
    "If I believed in fairy tales, I never would have dropped out of Kindergarden"

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post
    Even if ESPN wanted to air the AFL, they probably couldn't afford to outbid FOX (games air on FS1 and FS2, but the Grand Final, for some reason, only airs on Fox Soccer Plus - a premium channel) for the rights.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

ESPN

ESPN... The Chickens have come home to roost! ESPN finnaly got what it deserved! The struggling network thumbed its noses at every sport exept for the ones it had a financial interest in... Indycar was I believe one of the first to appear on the new network & treated it later like it didn't exist what's worse is Indycar still has ABC affiliation. What happened to just showing sports... World Wide Leader In Sports my #%#!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    ESPN... The Chickens have come home to roost! ESPN finnaly got what it deserved! The struggling network thumbed its noses at every sport exept for the ones it had a financial interest in... Indycar was I believe one of the first to appear on the new network & treated it later like it didn't exist what's worse is Indycar still has ABC affiliation. What happened to just showing sports... World Wide Leader In Sports my #%#!
    I think it's exceptionally distasteful to celebrate layoffs. More so when the majority of the people involved are simply reporters, not the kind of people you claim to dislike in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    I think it's exceptionally distasteful to celebrate layoffs. More so when the majority of the people involved are simply reporters, not the kind of people you claim to dislike in this post.
    My post
    Has NOTHING! To do with celebrating layoffs but the company itself! I find it Distatesful that you would insinuate that!
    Last edited by Boweimer; 04-26-2017 at 06:32 PM.

I've heard they lost something in the neighborhood of $100 million in annual revenue from the cable shakeout. Gonna take a big change in business model. For what it's worth, I lost interest in ESPN long ago

Tony Reali (host of Around The Horn) signed off today for the last time too.

Maybe he didn't get canned but he sounded like he did at the end of his show.

Others sent packing today that you may have heard of, Len Elmore (NCAA hoops), Dottie Pepper (golf), Jay Crawford (host), Jaymie Sire (host).

ESPN is gone!!! Each year it is getting worse. I can't get over how many anchors have moved to CBS, NBC or FOX. This pretty much tells you that IndyCar won't renew there contact with ESPN/ABC. I think they need to stay with NBC/NBCSN.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    Tony Reali (host of Around The Horn) signed off today for the last time too.
    That blows. I record it daily and watch when I get home. Major bummer.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Blog Entries
    I hope ESPN gets everything they has coming to them

They did so much damage to the sports pop culture in this country

They took soooo many great things and wadded them up in a ball and threw them against the wall

Putting the almighty dollar above all else will bite you on the ass
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    My post
    Has NOTHING! To do with celebrating layoffs but the company itself! I find it Distatesful that you would insinuate that!
    I think that's the only conclusion that could have been drawn, because I drew the same conclusion.

On the same day dozens of ESPN staffers lose their jobs, you post a celebratory thread saying how the "chickens have come home to roost".'

Nowhere in your post did you say anything about feeling bad for those who lost their jobs or anything of the sort, so I'm not sure what else someone should take from your post other than what is there, venom for ESPN on a day they let a lot of people go.
    "Pete, do you ever get tired of the nonsense, lately I sometimes get very tired, very tired." Jean-Pierre Sarti on TF.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    I think that's the only conclusion that could have been drawn, because I drew the same conclusion.
    Agreed. However, the post was so poorly written it was difficult to decipher what was being said.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Blog Entries
    Jesus. They could have dumped Steven A and saved about a dozen of these others.

I really have lost most of my interest in ESPN over the past 3-4 years. However, the folks that were involved in the layoffs likely had little or nothing to do with the fact that ESPN lost focus and got greedy before most of those involved even started working there. I hate to see anyone lose their job over something that may not have been any of their doing. I try to never look for my personal joy in someone else's unfortunate circumstances. JMO.
    IN GOD WE TRUST!

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    the ESPN $7.20 / month sub fee is unsustainable
    Is that something that's been proposed, or is in the works? I know nothing about it.

I am now wondering if I am paying this as part of my cable bill but don't realize it.

What exactly was it that ESPN did to anger so many? To me it is just a channel that a sporting event that I would like to watch might be on. No different than NBCSN or another 20 channels.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, IRP - 58

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    Bummer, good guy for sure, and hopefully soon at another network.
    As a physician he brings a very unique perspective to the job.

I've been criticized on here for saying the ESPN $7.20 / month sub fee is unsustainable, but I'm beginning to think even ESPN now believes that's true.
    It is sustainable if the network is managed properly. Politics and argument style debate shows have been killing audience in key timeslots. The Golf Channel has been losing household reach and is around 8 quarters of solid viewership growth. ESPN has been blaming the lost household reach as the excuse today, but most of the 88 million people who still subscribe don't bother to watch ESPN. If other sports programming can grow audience in the same headwind then ESPN could too if they made better decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    Is that something that's been proposed, or is in the works? I know nothing about it.

I am now wondering if I am paying this as part of my cable bill but don't realize it.
    The typical contract between cable companies and ESPN pays the 'people who talk about sports' network about $7.20 per cable subscriber who has access to the channel. This is a big reason channels like Big Ten Network in the past have fought to on lower tiers... if people have to pay for an extra sports tier package to get the channel then fewer people end up having access and the network gets less money from the cable company (via your monthly check).

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn...per-month.html

I believe you are if you have cable. I'm not certain though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    Their problem is that they've taken the focus off of sports and put it on their on-air personalities. I rarely watch ESPN anymore unless there is a live sporting event on the network I want to watch. They need to return to the day where they broadcast a variety of sports around the world. Australian rules football anyone?

Lumber jack competitions. You're right though, I watched that, strongman, aussie rules you name it as a kid because of espn playing random sports. They had a hit with pti and just followed suite with talk show after talk show each one trying to be more outrageous.

I'm sure that is less expensive than broadcasting even the most minor of sports.

Either way, people are dropping cable and dish like flies so that's the real reason I suspect, despite the fact that espn does indeed suck

Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    What exactly was it that ESPN did to anger so many? To me it is just a channel that a sporting event that I would like to watch might be on. No different than NBCSN or another 20 channels.
    ESPN has gotten way too political for my taste. I don't want any politics on my sports shows but if you insist the least you can do is represent both sides. That virtually never happens.

It feels like ESPN is morphing away from its roots in a similar fashion to what MTV did.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nezy37 View Post
    Lumber jack competitions. You're right though, I watched that, strongman, aussie rules you name it as a kid because of espn playing random sports. They had a hit with pti and just followed suite with talk show after talk show each one trying to be more outrageous.

I'm sure that is less expensive than broadcasting even the most minor of sports.

Either way, people are dropping cable and dish like flies so that's the real reason I suspect, despite the fact that espn does indeed suck

I loved
    that kind of stuff and would watch it in a second before I'd sit there and listen to two people argue for an hour

That **** is for the birds

Can't imagine why anyone would sit still for it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    My wife watches more ESPN that I do these days. She like the 30 for 30 shows.
    'What if I told you a company ignored market forces repeatedly and kept charging their customers more for increasingly poor service? What if I told you this company was arrogant and unresponsive and waited years to make cuts that every outsider knew had to be made? 30 for 30: The ESPN implosion.'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    ESPN has gotten way too political for my taste. I don't want any politics on my sports shows but if you insist the least you can do is represent both sides. That virtually never happens.

It feels like ESPN is morphing away from its roots in a similar fashion to what MTV did.
    ESPN doesn't cover sports. History Channel doesn't do history. MTV doesn't have music, Comedy Channel is rarely funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post

That sounds right to me . Good explanation. Thank you.

I also remember the good old days when they were a channel that showed multi sports. I feel bad for the employees getting sacked , but I guess it had to happen.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
    I really have lost most of my interest in ESPN over the past 3-4 years. However, the folks that were involved in the layoffs likely had little or nothing to do with the fact that ESPN lost focus and got greedy before most of those involved even started working there. I hate to see anyone lose their job over something that may not have been any of their doing. I try to never look for my personal joy in someone else's unfortunate circumstances. JMO.
    Greedy? It doesn't seem like greed had anything to do with this.