Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 370

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

  1. #121
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    63,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Jesus. They could have dumped Steven A and saved about a dozen of these others.
    He's horrible, I don't know how he still has a job in the industry... oh, wait... yeah I do.

  2. #122
    Plays well with Others
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NE Indy
    Posts
    2,641
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    He's horrible, I don't know how he still has a job in the industry... oh, wait... yeah I do.
    Yep, along with several others that are "safe" bc if they were laid off they would be a mass outrage....
    I get that the network is losing subscribers and paying huge fees for the sports they broadcast. But read about some of the prior layoffs they've had, they are ruthless. And they leave a lot of burned bridges.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

  3. #123
    Unsider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    5,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    ESPN has gotten way too political for my taste. I don't want any politics on my sports shows but if you insist the least you can do is represent both sides. That virtually never happens.

    It feels like ESPN is morphing away from its roots in a similar fashion to what MTV did.
    Watching sports videos is kinda lame.


  4. #124
    Was never a huge ESPN watcher but it seems like when ABC/ Disney bought them, that was the start of the downward spiral. Lots of venom being thrown at ESPN, but it goes higher than that.

  5. #125
    A friend of Hal. midtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    West Allis (via Indy)
    Posts
    21,857
    Blog Entries
    1
    ABC bought ESPN in 1984. Disney bought them both in 1996. So it's been on a downward slide for 20 or 30 years?
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

  6. #126
    Insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    30 minutes from the Iowa Speedway
    Posts
    4,807
    Chris Hassel was laid off, he came to ESPN from one of the local stations here. Too bad, but ESPN didn't fully utilize his talents. He's a funny guy.

  7. #127
    36 & counting SeeUinMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,854
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    Watching sports videos is kinda lame.


    I see what you did there.


  8. #128
    Insider
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post
    Watching sports videos is kinda lame.



    Now, that's a funny call back.
    Eff LBD!

  9. #129
    Insider Kurt Cobain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    19,629
    I'm sorry that Trent Dilfer's gone. I enjoyed his enthusiasm and of course "Dilfer's Dimes." The only person I wanted to see axed didn't get it (as of yet) and that was Britt McHenry, who brings absolutely nothing IMO. She should have been gone after her tirade of a couple years ago. Keeping her and reducing Hannah Storm's time is mind boggling. Hannah has always done a great job in everything she does.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    I'm sorry that Trent Dilfer's gone. I enjoyed his enthusiasm and of course "Dilfer's Dimes." The only person I wanted to see axed didn't get it (as of yet) and that was Britt McHenry, who brings absolutely nothing IMO. She should have been gone after her tirade of a couple years ago. Keeping her and reducing Hannah Storm's time is mind boggling. Hannah has always done a great job in everything she does.
    Somebody must think McHenry's youth and looks means something.

    Its the only reason she's likely got a job there to begin with.

    Hannah is legit talented and knows sports so of course, she's let go.

    There is a lot of dead weight at ESPN. Dilfer was not one of them though. With his Cal ties, he'll end up with either FSN or NFLN.

  11. #131
    Insider Kurt Cobain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    19,629
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    Somebody must think McHenry's youth and looks means something.

    Its the only reason she's likely got a job there to begin with.

    Hannah is legit talented and knows sports so of course, she's let go.

    There is a lot of dead weight at ESPN. Dilfer was not one of them though. With his Cal ties, he'll end up with either FSN or NFLN.
    True. I was reading a few stories about her online and people who knew her in college were not surprised with her being a ***** as she was a snooty one at Northwestern. They also said she was rather mediocre in her work. Maybe her looks did have something to do with it. I can only guess. And you're right on Dilfer. He should get picked up.

  12. #132
    Unsider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    5,895
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeUinMay View Post
    I see what you did there.

    Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post


    Now, that's a funny call back.


  13. #133
    Unsider jkeener24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    5,895
    The E stands for Entertainment. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

  14. #134
    Other notabes on the gone list:

    -Doug Glanville, Dallas Braden and Raul Ibanez (MLB baseball)
    -Jade McCarthy (host)
    -Jarrett Bell
    -Charles Arbuckle (college football)

  15. #135
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    64,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    I'm sorry that Trent Dilfer's gone. I enjoyed his enthusiasm and of course "Dilfer's Dimes." The only person I wanted to see axed didn't get it (as of yet) and that was Britt McHenry, who brings absolutely nothing IMO. She should have been gone after her tirade of a couple years ago. Keeping her and reducing Hannah Storm's time is mind boggling. Hannah has always done a great job in everything she does.

    Great point.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

  16. #136
    Insider beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    Yep, along with several others that are "safe" bc if they were laid off they would be a mass outrage....
    I get that the network is losing subscribers and paying huge fees for the sports they broadcast. But read about some of the prior layoffs they've had, they are ruthless. And they leave a lot of burned bridges.
    I am not sure the reason for the staying power of Stephan A, but your inference isn't totally correct, Tommy Jackson, Randy Moss and the latest casualty Sage Steele would disagree.
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

  17. #137
    I believe Tom Jackson left on his own terms. Sage Steele will be getting promoted onto Mike Greenberg morning show. Randy Moss come on man. Stephan A. stays because that is the direction they are going. They are blind to the obvious as to why many people are not watching anymore.

  18. #138
    Insider beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by BretEarl View Post
    I believe Tom Jackson left on his own terms. Sage Steele will be getting promoted onto Mike Greenberg morning show. Randy Moss come on man. Stephan A. stays because that is the direction they are going. They are blind to the obvious as to why many people are not watching anymore.
    I don't think Tom Jackson left on his own terms, but because he has integrity and class, that is the way it came across. Sage Steele lost the NBA gig right at the playoffs, not exactly a ringing endorsement of her talents. . But I do happen to like Beadle much more in that same role...

  19. #139
    Andy Katz done. He was the face of ESPN's college basketball coverage.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

    "It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

  20. #140
    Insider Will O'Hargan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Irving, Texas
    Posts
    8,890
    Blog Entries
    1
    Guys, this is more about changes in viewership habits than any ideological bent. If it were about ideology, FoxSports would have a highly rated show. They don't. It's about how people don't need highlight shows in an era where you can instantly get highlights on your phone.

    It's a shame that a lot of great talent is being cast off as a result.
    Willo
    "If I believed in fairy tales, I never would have dropped out of Kindergarden"

  21. #141
    The problem ESPN has right now is that the market changed and by the time ESPN realized it, they were too late to do much about it.

    If you have cable or Satellite, approximately $9 dollars of your bill goes to the ESPN family.
    No other national sports channels charge more than a couple bucks. Some are less than a dollar.

    There are two sources of revenue for such networks: Subscriber payments and advertising. Because it charges so much per subscriber, ESPN is much more dependent on subscriber fees than say FSN or NBCSN. And when subscriber numbers fall (as they are for all cable channels these days), ESPN is hit hardest because its rates are so high.

    Unfortunately for ESPN, it is saddled with rights fees to major events that are now unsustainable given its business model. It paid too much for things like the NBA, SEC, Big Ten, MLB and mostly, Monday Night Football. Since they can't get out of those, they have to cut where they can, which is people.

    This is not new. But the longer it goes on, the worse for ESPN.

    As the article below states, the layoffs just buy breathing space until ESPN and Disney come up with a go-forward plan.

    http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-layoffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629


    As for Indycar and ESPN, this has little bearing. Once ESPN can get out from under some of its rights-fee blunders, it will need "affordable" programming. And Indycar fits the bill to a "T". As would something like RPM2Night, if they wanted to revive that. Or Soccer. Etc. In fact, rights fees for middle-to-lower tier sports might be driven up by this since ESPN has a lot of time to fill.

  22. #142
    Insider beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    10,088
    I was pretty surprised when I watched Michael and Jemel yesterday ( probably for the last time) They were both very somber, very supportive of their departing colleagues and I think rather outspoken about the mother ship and what has transpired. Michael even said that since they both believe in the power of prayer and faith in God, that things will work out for the friends. Like I said, I thought they were reflective and pretty plain spoken..
    Last edited by doitagain; 04-27-2017 at 11:01 AM.

  23. #143
    king for a night rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    It's no laughing matter
    Posts
    4,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The problem ESPN has right now is that the market changed and by the time ESPN realized it, they were too late to do much about it.

    If you have cable or Satellite, approximately $9 dollars of your bill goes to the ESPN family.
    No other national sports channels charge more than a couple bucks. Some are less than a dollar.

    There are two sources of revenue for such networks: Subscriber payments and advertising. Because it charges so much per subscriber, ESPN is much more dependent on subscriber fees than say FSN or NBCSN. And when subscriber numbers fall (as they are for all cable channels these days), ESPN is hit hardest because its rates are so high.

    Unfortunately for ESPN, it is saddled with rights fees to major events that are now unsustainable given its business model. It paid too much for things like the NBA, SEC, Big Ten, MLB and mostly, Monday Night Football. Since they can't get out of those, they have to cut where they can, which is people.

    This is not new. But the longer it goes on, the worse for ESPN.

    As the article below states, the layoffs just buy breathing space until ESPN and Disney come up with a go-forward plan.

    http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-layoffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629


    As for Indycar and ESPN, this has little bearing. Once ESPN can get out from under some of its rights-fee blunders, it will need "affordable" programming. And Indycar fits the bill to a "T". As would something like RPM2Night, if they wanted to revive that. Or Soccer. Etc. In fact, rights fees for middle-to-lower tier sports might be driven up by this since ESPN has a lot of time to fill.


    100%

    But then again, this has been stated clearly on TF before. *shrugs
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

  24. #144
    Insider beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    That was pretty obviously another ideological move by ESPN.
    I actually think the opposite. I think Steele is a tremendous person, but I was not a big fan of her style and I think Beadel is much better...

  25. #145
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    63,894
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post


    100%

    But then again, this has been stated clearly on TF before. *shrugs
    Content, unsustainable rights fees, opinion, politics... it all ran head-first into a changing in viewing habits & voila - they are where they are.

  26. #146
    The original Servia fan numetalbizkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    Guys, this is more about changes in viewership habits than any ideological bent. If it were about ideology, FoxSports would have a highly rated show. They don't. It's about how people don't need highlight shows in an era where you can instantly get highlights on your phone.

    It's a shame that a lot of great talent is being cast off as a result.
    There is definitely an ideological element to it, but it also has a lot to do with cord-cutting. Living in Texas, I'm surprised not one person has mentioned to you they've stopped watching ESPN because of political opinion, because I've heard it from at least five. Sure, it's anecdotal, but there definitely are people leaving ESPN because of its views.

    A major problem is that they've basically done away with the highlight shows. SportsCenter doesn't show nearly as much sports content as it used to. Every show has a 15 minute segment on a human interest story now, (at a minimum).
    I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

  27. #147
    Insider beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The problem ESPN has right now is that the market changed and by the time ESPN realized it, they were too late to do much about it.

    If you have cable or Satellite, approximately $9 dollars of your bill goes to the ESPN family.
    No other national sports channels charge more than a couple bucks. Some are less than a dollar.

    There are two sources of revenue for such networks: Subscriber payments and advertising. Because it charges so much per subscriber, ESPN is much more dependent on subscriber fees than say FSN or NBCSN. And when subscriber numbers fall (as they are for all cable channels these days), ESPN is hit hardest because its rates are so high.

    Unfortunately for ESPN, it is saddled with rights fees to major events that are now unsustainable given its business model. It paid too much for things like the NBA, SEC, Big Ten, MLB and mostly, Monday Night Football. Since they can't get out of those, they have to cut where they can, which is people.

    This is not new. But the longer it goes on, the worse for ESPN.

    As the article below states, the layoffs just buy breathing space until ESPN and Disney come up with a go-forward plan.

    http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-layoffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629


    As for Indycar and ESPN, this has little bearing. Once ESPN can get out from under some of its rights-fee blunders, it will need "affordable" programming. And Indycar fits the bill to a "T". As would something like RPM2Night, if they wanted to revive that. Or Soccer. Etc. In fact, rights fees for middle-to-lower tier sports might be driven up by this since ESPN has a lot of time to fill.
    Just read and digested the above post.. Thanks for the spot on insight and perspective...

  28. #148
    king for a night rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    It's no laughing matter
    Posts
    4,058
    Quote Originally Posted by numetalbizkit View Post
    A major problem is that they've basically done away with the highlight shows. SportsCenter doesn't show nearly as much sports content as it used to. Every show has a 15 minute segment on a human interest story now, (at a minimum).
    This is only a problem if people actually tuned into televised sports highlight shows. They do not. Or not enough eyeballs to matter anymore anyhow.

    ESPN struggles to come up with a suitable replacement. And in today's viewing environment, factoring in mobile and streaming, I'm not positive there is such a thing.

  29. #149
    Insider
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,035
    The only time I see highlight shows anymore is if I'm traveling and have it on in a hotel room (most likely when I'm traveling with a group and it is just on quietly in the background) or at a bar that has one playing. I can't recall the last time I sat down at home and turned on SC or ESPN News or any other form of highlight show. The best highlights get brought up on-line and you click and watch it once or a hundred times without having to sit through highlights of stuff you don't care about.

  30. #150
    iLl-enfORmed yOKel Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    55,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    I can't recall the last time I sat down at home and turned on SC or ESPN News or any other form of highlight show. The best highlights get brought up on-line and you click and watch it once or a hundred times without having to sit through highlights of stuff you don't care about.
    What, you don't want to see constant highlights of dunks? And slow motion replays of players beating their chests?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •