Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Jesus. They could have dumped Steven A and saved about a dozen of these others.
    He's horrible, I don't know how he still has a job in the industry... oh, wait... yeah I do.

Plays well with Others
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    He's horrible, I don't know how he still has a job in the industry... oh, wait... yeah I do.
    Yep, along with several others that are "safe" bc if they were laid off they would be a mass outrage....
    I get that the network is losing subscribers and paying huge fees for the sports they broadcast. But read about some of the prior layoffs they've had, they are ruthless. And they leave a lot of burned bridges.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    ESPN has gotten way too political for my taste. I don't want any politics on my sports shows but if you insist the least you can do is represent both sides. That virtually never happens.

It feels like ESPN is morphing away from its roots in a similar fashion to what MTV did.
    Watching sports videos is kinda lame.

Was never a huge ESPN watcher but it seems like when ABC/ Disney bought them, that was the start of the downward spiral. Lots of venom being thrown at ESPN, but it goes higher than that.

Blog Entries
    ABC bought ESPN in 1984. Disney bought them both in 1996. So it's been on a downward slide for 20 or 30 years?
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Insider
    Chris Hassel was laid off, he came to ESPN from one of the local stations here. Too bad, but ESPN didn't fully utilize his talents. He's a funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post

I see what you did there.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeener24 View Post

Now, that's a funny call back.
    Eff LBD!

I'm sorry that Trent Dilfer's gone. I enjoyed his enthusiasm and of course "Dilfer's Dimes." The only person I wanted to see axed didn't get it (as of yet) and that was Britt McHenry, who brings absolutely nothing IMO. She should have been gone after her tirade of a couple years ago. Keeping her and reducing Hannah Storm's time is mind boggling. Hannah has always done a great job in everything she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    I'm sorry that Trent Dilfer's gone. I enjoyed his enthusiasm and of course "Dilfer's Dimes." The only person I wanted to see axed didn't get it (as of yet) and that was Britt McHenry, who brings absolutely nothing IMO. She should have been gone after her tirade of a couple years ago. Keeping her and reducing Hannah Storm's time is mind boggling. Hannah has always done a great job in everything she does.
    Somebody must think McHenry's youth and looks means something.

Its the only reason she's likely got a job there to begin with.

Hannah is legit talented and knows sports so of course, she's let go.

There is a lot of dead weight at ESPN. Dilfer was not one of them though. With his Cal ties, he'll end up with either FSN or NFLN.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    Somebody must think McHenry's youth and looks means something.

Its the only reason she's likely got a job there to begin with.

Hannah is legit talented and knows sports so of course, she's let go.

There is a lot of dead weight at ESPN. Dilfer was not one of them though. With his Cal ties, he'll end up with either FSN or NFLN.
    True. I was reading a few stories about her online and people who knew her in college were not surprised with her being a ***** as she was a snooty one at Northwestern. They also said she was rather mediocre in her work. Maybe her looks did have something to do with it. I can only guess. And you're right on Dilfer. He should get picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeUinMay View Post
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post

Now, that's a funny call back.

The E stands for Entertainment. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Other notabes on the gone list:

-Doug Glanville, Dallas Braden and Raul Ibanez (MLB baseball)
    -Jade McCarthy (host)
    -Jarrett Bell
    -Charles Arbuckle (college football)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post

Great point.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    Yep, along with several others that are "safe" bc if they were laid off they would be a mass outrage....
    I get that the network is losing subscribers and paying huge fees for the sports they broadcast. But read about some of the prior layoffs they've had, they are ruthless. And they leave a lot of burned bridges.
    I am not sure the reason for the staying power of Stephan A, but your inference isn't totally correct, Tommy Jackson, Randy Moss and the latest casualty Sage Steele would disagree.
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

I believe Tom Jackson left on his own terms. Sage Steele will be getting promoted onto Mike Greenberg morning show. Randy Moss come on man. Stephan A. stays because that is the direction they are going. They are blind to the obvious as to why many people are not watching anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BretEarl View Post
    I believe Tom Jackson left on his own terms. Sage Steele will be getting promoted onto Mike Greenberg morning show. Randy Moss come on man. Stephan A. stays because that is the direction they are going. They are blind to the obvious as to why many people are not watching anymore.
    I don't think Tom Jackson left on his own terms, but because he has integrity and class, that is the way it came across. Sage Steele lost the NBA gig right at the playoffs, not exactly a ringing endorsement of her talents. . But I do happen to like Beadle much more in that same role...

Andy Katz done. He was the face of ESPN's college basketball coverage.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Blog Entries
    Guys, this is more about changes in viewership habits than any ideological bent. If it were about ideology, FoxSports would have a highly rated show. They don't. It's about how people don't need highlight shows in an era where you can instantly get highlights on your phone.

It's a shame that a lot of great talent is being cast off as a result.
    Willo
    "If I believed in fairy tales, I never would have dropped out of Kindergarden"

The problem ESPN has right now is that the market changed and by the time ESPN realized it, they were too late to do much about it.

If you have cable or Satellite, approximately $9 dollars of your bill goes to the ESPN family.
    No other national sports channels charge more than a couple bucks. Some are less than a dollar.

There are two sources of revenue for such networks: Subscriber payments and advertising. Because it charges so much per subscriber, ESPN is much more dependent on subscriber fees than say FSN or NBCSN. And when subscriber numbers fall (as they are for all cable channels these days), ESPN is hit hardest because its rates are so high.

Unfortunately for ESPN, it is saddled with rights fees to major events that are now unsustainable given its business model. It paid too much for things like the NBA, SEC, Big Ten, MLB and mostly, Monday Night Football. Since they can't get out of those, they have to cut where they can, which is people.

This is not new. But the longer it goes on, the worse for ESPN.

As the article below states, the layoffs just buy breathing space until ESPN and Disney come up with a go-forward plan.

http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-layoffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629

As for Indycar and ESPN, this has little bearing. Once ESPN can get out from under some of its rights-fee blunders, it will need "affordable" programming. And Indycar fits the bill to a "T". As would something like RPM2Night, if they wanted to revive that. Or Soccer. Etc. In fact, rights fees for middle-to-lower tier sports might be driven up by this since ESPN has a lot of time to fill.

I was pretty surprised when I watched Michael and Jemel yesterday ( probably for the last time) They were both very somber, very supportive of their departing colleagues and I think rather outspoken about the mother ship and what has transpired. Michael even said that since they both believe in the power of prayer and faith in God, that things will work out for the friends. Like I said, I thought they were reflective and pretty plain spoken..
    Last edited by doitagain; 04-27-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The problem ESPN has right now is that the market changed and by the time ESPN realized it, they were too late to do much about it.

If you have cable or Satellite, approximately $9 dollars of your bill goes to the ESPN family.
    No other national sports channels charge more than a couple bucks. Some are less than a dollar.

There are two sources of revenue for such networks: Subscriber payments and advertising. Because it charges so much per subscriber, ESPN is much more dependent on subscriber fees than say FSN or NBCSN. And when subscriber numbers fall (as they are for all cable channels these days), ESPN is hit hardest because its rates are so high.

Unfortunately for ESPN, it is saddled with rights fees to major events that are now unsustainable given its business model. It paid too much for things like the NBA, SEC, Big Ten, MLB and mostly, Monday Night Football. Since they can't get out of those, they have to cut where they can, which is people.

As the article below states, the layoffs just buy breathing space until ESPN and Disney come up with a go-forward plan.

As for Indycar and ESPN, this has little bearing. Once ESPN can get out from under some of its rights-fee blunders, it will need "affordable" programming. And Indycar fits the bill to a "T". As would something like RPM2Night, if they wanted to revive that. Or Soccer. Etc. In fact, rights fees for middle-to-lower tier sports might be driven up by this since ESPN has a lot of time to fill.

100%

But then again, this has been stated clearly on TF before. *shrugs
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    That was pretty obviously another ideological move by ESPN.
    I actually think the opposite. I think Steele is a tremendous person, but I was not a big fan of her style and I think Beadel is much better...

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post

100%

But then again, this has been stated clearly on TF before. *shrugs
    Content, unsustainable rights fees, opinion, politics... it all ran head-first into a changing in viewing habits & voila - they are where they are.

The original Servia fan numetalbizkit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    Guys, this is more about changes in viewership habits than any ideological bent. If it were about ideology, FoxSports would have a highly rated show. They don't. It's about how people don't need highlight shows in an era where you can instantly get highlights on your phone.

It's a shame that a lot of great talent is being cast off as a result.
    There is definitely an ideological element to it, but it also has a lot to do with cord-cutting. Living in Texas, I'm surprised not one person has mentioned to you they've stopped watching ESPN because of political opinion, because I've heard it from at least five. Sure, it's anecdotal, but there definitely are people leaving ESPN because of its views.

A major problem is that they've basically done away with the highlight shows. SportsCenter doesn't show nearly as much sports content as it used to. Every show has a 15 minute segment on a human interest story now, (at a minimum).
    I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Just read and digested the above post.. Thanks for the spot on insight and perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by numetalbizkit View Post
    A major problem is that they've basically done away with the highlight shows. SportsCenter doesn't show nearly as much sports content as it used to. Every show has a 15 minute segment on a human interest story now, (at a minimum).
    This is only a problem if people actually tuned into televised sports highlight shows. They do not. Or not enough eyeballs to matter anymore anyhow.

ESPN struggles to come up with a suitable replacement. And in today's viewing environment, factoring in mobile and streaming, I'm not positive there is such a thing.

Insider
    The only time I see highlight shows anymore is if I'm traveling and have it on in a hotel room (most likely when I'm traveling with a group and it is just on quietly in the background) or at a bar that has one playing. I can't recall the last time I sat down at home and turned on SC or ESPN News or any other form of highlight show. The best highlights get brought up on-line and you click and watch it once or a hundred times without having to sit through highlights of stuff you don't care about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    I can't recall the last time I sat down at home and turned on SC or ESPN News or any other form of highlight show. The best highlights get brought up on-line and you click and watch it once or a hundred times without having to sit through highlights of stuff you don't care about.
    What, you don't want to see constant highlights of dunks? And slow motion replays of players beating their chests?