Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by numetalbizkit View Post
    There is definitely an ideological element to it, but it also has a lot to do with cord-cutting. Living in Texas, I'm surprised not one person has mentioned to you they've stopped watching ESPN because of political opinion, because I've heard it from at least five. Sure, it's anecdotal, but there definitely are people leaving ESPN because of its views.

A major problem is that they've basically done away with the highlight shows. SportsCenter doesn't show nearly as much sports content as it used to. Every show has a 15 minute segment on a human interest story now, (at a minimum).
    I've not heard anything. Again, I'm more than certain that it has more to do with changing viewership habits than anything, and SportsCenter doesn't show as much highlights these days because of the access to highlights on phones.
    Willo
    "If I believed in fairy tales, I never would have dropped out of Kindergarden"

I will say this and get out before I get censored again. People come to sports to watch and escape the everyday crap. It doesnt matter which side of the spectrum of politics you cling too. Not any different when Miller was on MNF or Rush Limbaugh on the ESPN stuff. Leave it alone and let the game be what is being discussed. My 2 cents. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    What, you don't want to see constant highlights of dunks? And slow motion replays of players beating their chests?
    I believe you are talking about the sports lowlights, we are talking sports highlights here, stay on topic!
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Great point.
    Britt McHenry gone
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by BretEarl View Post
    I will say this and get out before I get censored again. People come to sports to watch and escape the everyday crap. It doesnt matter which side of the spectrum of politics you cling too. Not any different when Miller was on MNF or Rush Limbaugh on the ESPN stuff. Leave it alone and let the game be what is being discussed. My 2 cents. See ya.
    That wasn't too political
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

Looks like a mandatory business decision on behalf of ESPN. All you have to do is look at the graphs to understand the trend. I'm sure all other broadcasters are also feeling the pain.
    https://www.recode.net/2017/4/26/154...ent-cost-chart

Blog Entries
    Hear Cheever will be out after Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Good news for a change

I'd be shocked if Cheever was a W-2 employee of ESPN. I'm guessing him and Scott Goodyear are 1099's. They only do the 5 Indycar races a year for a 3 month time span. No way they are W-2's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    All you have to do is look at the graphs to understand the trend. I'm sure all other broadcasters are also feeling the pain.
    Not necessarily. Most channels aren't facing the same backlash against sub fees. Few, if any, channels come close to ESPN's fees.

A few channels are actually expanding their reach, despite the recent "cord cutting" trend.

Blog Entries
    Again: If it were political, at all, Fox Sports 1 would have a successful program. Their top rated program gets the same ratings as collegiate gymnastics on ESPN 2.

Another insightful article worth a read (yes, I like Deadspin a lot):

http://deadspin.com/espns-diminished...ent-1794433796

For all of the anguish, all of the hand wringing and all of the reasons for the blood letting, I just cannot understand how Le Batard is still on the air, I can understand not liking Stephan A, but at least he knows something about sport... just had the Dan Le Batard show on my car radio.. i just do not get his staying around... do not get it!

Blog Entries
    One point missing here is that ESPN is losing subs because people are dropping cable packages that include ESPN - nobody is calling up DirecTV and saying, 'I want to drop ESPN out of my mix, cut my bill by $9.00.'

ESPN is losing subs because cable is losing subs.

According to Convergence, the pace of defections from traditional pay TV subscriptions should continue – it is forecasting the sector loses about 2.11 million customers in 2017 – while OTT gains steam. Convergence estimates that 27.2 million U.S. households (about 22.3% of total TV homes) did not have a traditional TV subscription in 2016, up from 24.2 million (20% of TV households) in 2015. That number will grow to 30.3 million households (24.6% of TV homes) without a pay TV subscription in 2017.
    http://www.multichannel.com/news/dis...es-2016/412397

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Another insightful article worth a read (yes, I like Deadspin a lot):

http://deadspin.com/espns-diminished...ent-1794433796
    Thanks for sharing this.

Blog Entries
    One other possibly related point: Every day I am stunned by the number of people out there, not just kids, who don't have any kind of a device but a phone. No laptop, no desktop, no TV. Just a phone.

Blog Entries
    Andy Katz is gone.

One other possibly related point: Every day I am stunned by the number of people out there, not just kids, who don't have any kind of a device but a phone. No laptop, no desktop, no TV. Just a phone.

I have been using my laptop to live stream races and football games since I gave my TV up to my wife. Also, when ESPN stopped covering auto racing, I stopped watching it.

I read the whole article and some very good points. It also verified my points that were made. A lot of young adults dont even pay for their cable viewing. It is mom and dad. I have changed subscriptions to save money and ESPN comes with most basic packages. I dont watch hardly at all anymore. Of course my 16 year old son does.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Britt McHenry gone
    Good, should have been gone when the video went public
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Ruining it for everyone TeamMcLarenF1's Avatar
    I listen to Mike & Mike in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. Are they affected by any of this?
    Hot Rod Otis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMcLarenF1 View Post
    I listen to Mike & Mike in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. Are they affected by any of this?
    They're still Mike and Mike?
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMcLarenF1 View Post
    Greenie is getting his own show in the AM, Mike & Mike will be no more.. some talk of Golic and his son Mike Jr getting a gig, don't see it and Jr. holds no interest for me... once M&M go off the air, I won't even turn ESPN unless it is a live sporting event I consider must watch TV. I would not be surprised to see Golic getting the pink slip

Somewhat o/t but whatever happened to 3D television? Is it still around? It seemed to be a big deal a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Somewhat o/t but whatever happened to 3D television? Is it still around? It seemed to be a big deal a couple of years ago.
    Good question

Blog Entries
    The fad didn't take off as well as hoped. ESPN 3D shut down after about two and a half years.

Blog Entries
    Next big non-thing is 4K. DirecTV has rolled out their equipment to very underwhelming response.

Next big non-thing is 4K. DirecTV has rolled out their equipment to very underwhelming response.
    Because the technology they currently have is a PITA.....it's clunky. I was looking into getting it, but I don't have a Samsung TV built-in Directv 4k widget. So the work around was messy and overkill. The Directv tech guy told me late-summer/early fall they will have a update and much more streamlined equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    Again: If it were political, at all, Fox Sports 1 would have a successful program.

I don't buy that.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I would not be surprised to see Golic getting the pink slip
    I would be stunned.