Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So we are not going to get Sports Center with Bill O'Reilly?
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "Passive aggressive BS. You aren't interested in learning anything from what I have to say. "

3D is just like Blue Ray DVD.. Overkill
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Because the technology they currently have is a PITA.....it's clunky. I was looking into getting it, but I don't have a Samsung TV built-in Directv 4k widget. So the work around was messy and overkill. The Directv tech guy told me late-summer/early fall they will have a update and much more streamlined equipment.
    I've said it in other threads but I've viewed the same programming in 4K and 1080i and I cannot tell the difference. Granted, my particular TV has a very good upscaling engine but others have had the same experience with different TVs. As they say on 'Shark Tank,' "For that reason, I'm out."

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I would be stunned.
    Reason being?
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    I've said it in other threads but I've viewed the same programming in 4K and 1080i and I cannot tell the difference. Granted, my particular TV has a very good upscaling engine but others have had the same experience with different TVs. As they say on 'Shark Tank,' "For that reason, I'm out."
    First thing I saw in 4K was a PGA tournament.. Maybe the Masters.. I thought it was stunning, but for other sports, NASCAR was no better that HD, baseball looks good in 4K, basketball meh. Wondering if faster moving sports just doesn't have the pizazz as a more deliberate slow paved sport?

The original Servia fan numetalbizkit's Avatar
    Interesting that you had that experience. I watched an episode of The Grand Tour in 1080p and the rest in 4k, and you could really tell the difference in looking at the cars.
    I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Reason being?

I think the two Mikes are shining stars. My belief regarding the split is that they are doubling down on the talent. I also believe it will fail.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    It might be my TV, I have a top of the line Sony. I streamed GT at 1080i through my Roku and 4K on my Amazon streamer and could not tell. I ran it both through my Denon rcvr and straight to separate inputs, could not tell. Then I tried a couple of other programs, 'Bosch' on Amazon and 'Chef's Table' on Netflix and they looked the same. Same results with a Roku Ultra.

The other night I started watching season 3 of 'Bosch' and after 10 minutes, checked to see if it was in 4k. Nope, it was 1080i so I backed out and started over in 4K. Identical.

Again, YMMV; I have a very good TV, a Sony 940C.

It's 1080p.

I can tell the difference between the two.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Blog Entries
    SVP had a very nice piece last night saying farewell.

OTOH, Kornheiser and Wilbon never said a word on PTI yesterday. I thought the omission was a little shabby.

Try to stay off "politics".

3D was a dead end. It just did not enhance the viewing experience.

4K today is about where HD was a decade ago. Content is king. DirecTV, the best 4K provider, has 3 channels. One is just travelogues and stuff designed to look stunning in the showroom but with little acual entertainmnet value and it repeats constantly. A PPV movie channel,. And the live channel, which has maybe 4 sports events per week. The golf is unwatchable because it is just a couple of holes, not the complete coverage from the network. Hockey is greatly enhanced. Basketball less so. The auto racing was just OK, did not do much. Baseball is wonderous in 4K. The Rose Parade was awsome. They also are now doing soccer, but I don't watch soccer. In 10 years, there will be 100 4K channels and we will be arguing about whatever the next thing is.

I read somewhere that what ESPN did was "labotimize itself", and that was a good comment. The big thing to remember is that ESPN could fire everyone of its employees and the $$ saved do not equal one year of the massive overbid contracts. But look at who they fired. It was mostly the smart people. If you are not covering sports, you don't need sports reporters and it seems ESPN is now just a place for live content. I was listening to Chris Russo yesterday and he was talking about SC and I think most of his callers are over 35 and he just summed it up well when he said "it is just not for us, we want games broken down and to learn stuff we did not know and they are aiming at kids who are looking for entertainment and really don't care much about sports." Yep.

Blog Entries
    It's 1080p.

I can tell the difference between the two.
    My TV either does 1080i or 4K. I usually leave the Roku set to auto and it selects the highest resolution. In the case of Amazon, the programming shows twice and you have to select which version you want to watch.

ESPN has been overbloated for years. A couple decades ago, I was at IBM for a project, and saw like 4 people manage a conveyor line making sure continually runs, nothing binds, falls off, etc. 1 person could've easily done that job.

Brian Bennett and Austin Ward were doing the same job as Adam Rittenberg, blogging about Big10 football. One person is plenty, you don't need 3. They basically had "beat" reporters for every team to fill up content on their website but were paying them TV money. Now if SC changed and gave these guys a lot more airtime to talk sports maybe it would be better.

RE: 3D

Samsung stopped producing 3D sets last year. Sony and LG have pulled plug on 2017 sets, Vizio already did years ago. 3D is dead for sure.

4K and 3D is not the same thing. 4K is the evolution of technology, 3D is more of an accessory. There's not much point for mfrs. to only make a 1080 set now for larger screens even if there's very little content available. 3Ds problem was it came out big around 2010 but that was on the tail end of the big transition to HD. The majority of people weren't going to go buy another new set after just buying one a year or two earlier.

Then there were the glasses. They weren't universal plus barely anyone sits down and solely focuses on a television picture. You're looking at your phone, reading something, watching the backyard, having a conversation, etc. Do that with those glasses on.

Also, when the 4K Blu Ray spec came out, it didn't include 3D. Had it did, maybe it could've survived.

My understanding with 4K, the next television standard ATSC 3.0, the FCC is not going to give broadcasters another channel to do both 1080 and 4K at the same time which might slow the transition. Broadcaster may need to pair up and jointly share transmitters until a full transition is completed. Better explained here...

On a side note, both Sony and Panasonic say they're full steam ahead with NHK for 2020 Tokyo Olympics and 8K broadcast, that's 16 times 1080 pixels and 22.2 channel sound.
    Not sure where 22 speakers & 2 subwoofers go but they do
    Last edited by rodneyh; 04-27-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Will O'Hargan View Post
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Yes - good read. I like Deadspin, as well, but hadn't read this one.
    Eff LBD!

The original Servia fan numetalbizkit's Avatar
    I am using a TCL TV with Roku built in, so no external devices. That might be a part of it, in the sense of not being limited by the speed of the port. (Not sure how your devices are plugged in). If possible, have you tried any apps on the physical TV?

Blog Entries
    I've tried the built-in apps on my Sony, my Vizio as well as other TVs and external devices work better. Menu operation much faster, PQ appears to be better.

One other point: Depending on your TV, not all inputs are the same. Mine has 4 inputs but only 1 is ARC which means if you don't use a soundbar or rcvr, you have to use external cables for sound. Related, not all rcvrs support 4K.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    Not sure where 22 speakers & 2 subwoofers go but they do
    It's two times eleven.

It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    I wonder how much longer ESPNEWS will stay on the air. It seems worthless as you can look up scores on your device and breaking press conferences are streamed all over. I switched TV providers a few years ago and noticed I wasn't going to get NFL network, ESPNEWS, and Fox Sports 2. Realized I never watch those anyways.

Insider
    Monday Night Football is the prime example of bloat. They had the Sunday morning NFL crew, Berman and 4 ex-players/coaches and two "insiders" in Bristol AND another quartet at the game site. This excludes the play-by-play man, color commentator, and sideline reporter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AGRiculture View Post
    Monday Night Football is the prime example of bloat. They had the Sunday morning NFL crew, Berman and 4 ex-players/coaches and two "insiders" in Bristol AND another quartet at the game site. This excludes the play-by-play man, color commentator, and sideline reporter.
    For sure. I can remember when the same handful of Sportscenter anchors and field reporters used to cover most of everything. Certain guys were always at certain events, but these days it seemed like there was an individual for each individual assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    ESPN has been overbloated for years.
    Agreed.

Almost all the cuts yesterday were of people who, like it or not, were excess. A couple surprised me (Kanell was one who I thought, because of the radio show, would be kept) but most of the real players at the network for various sports, are still there. Its not like Van Pelt, Kiper, Herbstreit, Dakich and Kurkjian got dumped.

Although it is very interesting that the NBA folks got spared.

'What if I told you a company ignored market forces repeatedly and kept charging their customers more for increasingly poor service? What if I told you this company was arrogant and unresponsive and waited years to make cuts that every outsider knew had to be made? 30 for 30: The ESPN implosion.'
    I would call it United Airlines.

Britt McHenry gone
    I guess I should have showed some patience.

While no, I'm not sad about this at all, I won't jump up and down with glee as others have lost positions and that's never a good thing.

I think the two Mikes are shining stars.
    If I had given you luggage, I would now have to take it away.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    Agreed.

Almost all the cuts yesterday were of people who, like it or not, were excess. A couple surprised me (Kanell was one who I thought, because of the radio show, would be kept) but most of the real players at the network for various sports, are still there. Its not like Van Pelt, Kiper, Herbstreit, Dakich and Kurkjian got dumped.

Although it is very interesting that the NBA folks got spared.

Somebody like Dakich should be spared because mostly all he does is color commentary on games that ESPN is televising. They can't really eliminate his position -- and I would imagine most of those guys are paid per game rather than a straight salary. Still, if they wanted to dump Bilas I wouldn't be mad.

Their standing by their guns on the NBA is interesting as many times I have heard that they don't promote any sport -- they just give us what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpstop View Post
    If I had given you luggage, I would now have to take it away.

LOL. Its cool if you aren't a fan but their success speaks for itself.

And the fact that ESPN is willing to risk it by splitting them up leaves me shaking my head.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba19 View Post
    I wonder how much longer ESPNEWS will stay on the air.
    The channel that is most likely to go away, not that I think any will, is ESPNU. ESPNU was run out of Charlotte with a completly different set of "talent" than the other channels. This is being closed down and it will just use Bristol "talent". Plus ESPN is launching the ACCN, similar to its SECN, staring with the 19 football season, and it will, starting this fall, share Big 10 rights with Fox, which will further dilute the number of games available to ESPNU.

ESPNews cost them very little to operate. It is really just remixes of SC or reruns of SC, along with the live press conference stuff which cost nothing.

Is ESPN "bloated" ? Yes. It had 6 people doing 1 job. But I don't know that these cuts are aimed at that. The make a news analogy, say you ran a local TV station was in, say, Paducah, KY and you were doing the local news. People that get that station might live in KY, or MO, or AR, or IL, or even TN. So you need reporters that know about and work on the news and sports of each of those very different states. And then you have to cut the budget. You could cut across the board, or you could say, hey, KY is our biggest base, we are doubling down on KY and get rid of everybody in all the other states.

That seems to be what ESPN did. I seriously doubt ESPN will keep MLB after its contract runs out. It is going to be your source for college and pro basketball and college and pro football. Coverage and games. And that is is. It got rid of its ability to meaningfully cover anything else. ESPN had 6 people doing one job and 6 people doing another. It got rid of all six in the one catagory and continues with the rest. Going forward, people are going to look to the dedicated single sport channels or to whichever of the other (NBCSN for Indy) network's specializes in their particular second tier or niche sports.

LOL. Its cool if you aren't a fan but their success speaks for itself.

And the fact that ESPN is willing to risk it by splitting them up leaves me shaking my head.
    100% ... I hate the thought of Mike & Mike going off the air. I always enjoy them, but for me, they are at their best this time of year and the lead up to and the NFL season. The best line up of NFL guests...

Britt McHenry shown the door.

Andy Katz (college basketball insider) gone.

Mark May will have to talk real fast for somebody else. He's done.

And yes and actual NBA reporter is on the list as well. Mark Stein.

NBA reporter_s_.

Chad Ford. Henry Abbott. Among others.
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey