Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN losing subs - fast

Blog Entries

ESPN losing subs - fast

Last month ESPN lost 621,000 subscribers according to Nielsen media estimates, which was the worst month in the company's history. This month things weren't much better -- ESPN lost another 555,000 subscribers according to Nielsen media estimates, meaning that the worst month in the history of ESPN has now been followed up by the second worst month in ESPN history. ESPN has now lost a jawdropping 1.176 million subscribers in the past two months.

Putting that into perspective, that means nearly 20,000 people a day are leaving ESPN for each of the past two months.

If that annual average subscriber loss continued, ESPN would lose over seven million subscribers in the next 12 months. And at an absolute minimum, these 1.176 million lost subscribers in the past two months will lead to a yearly loss in revenue of over $100 million.

According to Nielsen ESPN now has 88.4 million cable and satellite subscribers, a precipitous decline from well over 100 million subscribers just a few years ago
    http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/es...nielsen-112916

Good - it gives cable and satellite providers more negotiating power. I would gladly get rid of ESPN from my package for a corresponding reduction in price.

I love them for live games and 30 for 30. That's about it.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I love them for live games and 30 for 30. That's about it.
    What TD said!

Resident of the NE Vista Mario4ever's Avatar
    Their problem is that they've taken the focus off of sports and put it on their on-air personalities. I rarely watch ESPN anymore unless there is a live sporting event on the network I want to watch. They need to return to the day where they broadcast a variety of sports around the world. Australian rules football anyone?
    "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    Their problem is that they've taken the focus off of sports and put it on their on-air personalities. I rarely watch ESPN anymore unless there is a live sporting event on the network I want to watch. They need to return to the day where they broadcast a variety of sports around the world. Australian rules football anyone?
    Bring back Kiana's Flex Appeal!
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Better yet, bring back Thursday Night Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    REAL race cars have kingpins. :p

Blog Entries
    College football is about the only thing I watch on ESPN.
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Blog Entries
    We're about to be on the list of former customers. Our Uverse bill is just outrageous and our 2 kids don't even watch cable. We have Netflix and are going to add Hulu and maybe Amazon and that's it. I will have to sacrifice live sporting events but I find myself watching less and less each year and I really don't think I'll miss it. I'll go to my in-laws for must-see match ups and whatever IndyCar races I want to watch live.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Blog Entries
    ESPN is good for MNF, and college sports.

It's amazing how many college games they have across all their platforms.

But, other than an occasional documentary, that's all I watch. I'm not interested in their blah blah blah shows or highlight shows.
    VALID OPINION CENSORED -- TAKE BACK YOUR BOARD!

ESPN, FOX News, and MSNBC are the three biggest reasons I hated by TV bill for the one year I had cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    ESPN is good for MNF, and college sports.

It's amazing how many college games they have across all their platforms.

But, other than an occasional documentary, that's all I watch. I'm not interested in their blah blah blah shows or highlight shows.
    Totally agree.

ESPN3 is a fantastic resource, though increasingly I've noticed that I pick up random games I'm interested in on other DirectTV channels that I didn't even know existed (I use the auto record feature for some college and NHL stuff).

I'd hate to see ESPN go poof, I'm concerned it's top heavy with the overhead and massive contracts and it could happen. The ripple effect on college sports could be devastating. I believe that some of the capital projects (stadiums, practice facilities, etc) that schools have funded through bonds or whatever are dependent in no small part on TV money. If that dries up there could be big problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    Instead of talk shows they could bring delayed sports on the cheap all day and night. I remember watched AFL with my cousin "back in the day." There are so many cheap things they could bring, minor league sports, less prominent college sports (and not just women's softball), wierd and wacky stuff from overseas. I would rather watch a tape delayed cross country ski race from Finland than listen to a boring sports talk show anyday even if they aren't being political. Less talk, more action!

I watch ESPN for live sports and the late night SportsCenters (easy way to catch up on the day's highlights). That's about it.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

My wife watches more ESPN that I do these days. She like the 30 for 30 shows.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Four Letter cutting on-air talent: http://www.courant.com/business/hc-e...306-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    You could have said that earlier... I wouldn't have had to read as many posts as I did before finding out my input wasn't required here.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    You could have said that earlier... I wouldn't have had to read as many posts as I did before finding out my input wasn't required here.
    I'm your basic trifecta. Old, slow and apathetic.

I've seen nearly all of the 30 for 30 programs. Occasionally I'll catch a live event...Unless Dick Vitale is one of the announcers.

Insider
    And Dan Patrick is beating up on the "Mother Ship." Nothing wrong with that.

Just bought a jailbroken Amazon Firestick, this will be interesting to see if I can do without DTV. I have someone who will purchase from me if I do not like it..... I won't cancel DTV just yet.. but I am able to utilize Netflix, Amazon prime and now this.. I am anxious to see how it goes.
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Just bought a jailbroken Amazon Firestick, this will be interesting to see if I can do without DTV. I have someone who will purchase from me if I do not like it..... I won't cancel DTV just yet.. but I am able to utilize Netflix, Amazon prime and now this.. I am anxious to see how it goes.
    What are your plans for live sports, if you cancel satellite?

Are you my nephew? He just asked me the same thing. To be honest, as much of a sports fan as I have been, I watch less and less... I figure if I can just reduce my DTV bill that will help.. to say the least, this is nothing short of an experiment.

I'm hoping that you, way up there in the hinterlands of northern Indiana, have more than one choice of viewing opportunities.

We're on the verge of moving and will be shopping around once we settle. ESPN is far from a must see.

A guy that works for my wife has feeds on his that show live sports - not sure what all is available, but he seems to be saying that he gets quite a few live streams.

I think ESPN has issues as many of you have pointed out. They are far too heavy on personalities that just talk about sports. However, that probably didn't just happen because some exec in Bristol thought it would be cool to shove this idea down the throats of viewers. You have to assume there were trends, viewer studies, ratings, etc. that went into their programming shift from showing a lot of live sports to showing a lot of talking heads pontificating on sports. You could argue that the same thing happened with MTV which started out as radio for the eyes and eventually turned into reality tv (among other things). I also think that these stations share the divide and conquer mentality where they want a multitude of brands all owned by the same conglomerate to be the main choices offered to consumers (i.e. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.--and I didn't even mention, "The Ocho"). The same can be said for owning as much shelf space as possible on the grocery store aisles.

There's also the OTHER issue that this isn't really about ESPN. It's more of a reflection of people today who consume the streaming of video content in a totally different way. So, it's probably not just ESPN that's hurting. I would assume this goes back to all of the top 50 stations that are available on the leading cable and satellite tv offerings across the country.

Now, this was far too much of an actual examination of the subject at hand. So, let me just add, "h" and that I voted for potato salad.

Meow.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

I can have most of them on in the background with the exception of Stephen A. Smith. I don't understand how he has a job on the air.

The political stuff I can tune out or turn off, take it or leave it. It is when I simply want the scores and highlights but instead all I get is loud and obnoxious cute catchy schtick stuff that just grates on me.
    Along the lines of Media Boy's thrilling analysis of the television landscape, ESPN has determined that the majority people are not turning to their station for highlights and scores. They are getting scores from apps and are seeing just the highlights that they want to see via apps, social media and other internet-based outlets. Doesn't seem likely to go back that direction.

Potato Salad on the other hand ... never going away.
    "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Along the lines of Media Boy's thrilling analysis of the television landscape,
    ESPN has determined that the majority people are not turning to their station for highlights and scores
    . They are getting scores from apps and are seeing just the highlights that they want to see via apps, social media and other internet-based outlets. Doesn't seem likely to go back that direction.

Potato Salad on the other hand ... never going away.
    Perhaps they didn't get the memo that the majority of the people are turning away from their station period

Perhaps they didn't get the memo that the majority of the people are turning away from their station period
    The memo they got was that people are turning away from all stations. Including them. Best they can do is slow down the bleeding while they try to come up with a successful over-the-top solution. While they have had ESPN 360, I wouldn't call it successful. And they were in denial of this need for a long time. The executives have just recently starting making public comments in the past 6 to 8 months on OTT.