Thread: 2017 World Baseball Classic

2017 World Baseball Classic

Anyone going to follow it? Anyone care about it? Anyone even know it existed?

Israel won the opening game this morning 2-1 in 10 innings over South Korea.

While I do acknowledge it has its flaws, I've always liked it as it's "meaningful" baseball for the first time since November.

TV coverage in the US is restricted to the MLB network which will probably hurt awareness and/or coverage of the event. The US team has all-stars, but a lot of non-household names. Not expecting them to really contend for the championship.

I feel as it always has gotten a bad rub mostly due to the timing (owners / managers not wanting their players to miss time or risk injury), but when it begins, it seems like people care...at least a little. In 2013 specifically, players were caught up in it and tweeting that they'd sign up in 2017. I remember Bryce Harper posting it at the time. David Wright had a 5 RBI game and was dubbed "Captain America."

US's opening round robin pool is with Colombia, Canada, and defending champions Dominican Republic. Their first game is 6:00 EST vs Colombia.
    "You just don't know what Indy means."
    -Al Unser Jr.

I like Baseball, but I wasn't aware this is happening right now lol! I'm looking at Canada's roster and it's pretty underwhelming. A couple of major leaguers but mostly a bunch of minor leaguers, old unemployed guys (such as Justin Morneau and Eric Gagne) and one guy (Kevin Chapman) with a dubious claim to Canadianness.

Quote Originally Posted by F1 and IndyCar View Post
    Anyone going to follow it? Anyone care about it? Anyone even know it existed?

Israel won the opening game this morning 2-1 in 10 innings over South Korea.

While I do acknowledge it has its flaws, I've always liked it as it's "meaningful" baseball for the first time since November.

TV coverage in the US is restricted to the MLB network which will probably hurt awareness and/or coverage of the event. The US team has all-stars, but a lot of non-household names. Not expecting them to really contend for the championship.

I feel as it always has gotten a bad rub mostly due to the timing (owners / managers not wanting their players to miss time or risk injury), but when it begins, it seems like people care...at least a little. In 2013 specifically, players were caught up in it and tweeting that they'd sign up in 2017. I remember Bryce Harper posting it at the time. David Wright had a 5 RBI game and was dubbed "Captain America."

US's opening round robin pool is with Colombia, Canada, and defending champions Dominican Republic. Their first game is 6:00 EST vs Colombia.
    On Friday, not today.
    Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

It is OK, but I would rather watch a regular spring training (which this mis-timed event disrupts). First I don't decide who to like or dislike based on what color their passport is. I follow the Reds and the team's best player is Canadian. We, like every other team, have players from all around the baseball playing world.

Which brings up my second problem with the WBC. The baseball playing world is about 1/6th of the world. USA, Canada, the Spanish and Dutch parts of the Caribbean, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan cover 95% of it. Toss in Central America, the northern edge of South America and some random people from Australia and the European part of the Netherlands and you have got it. But they have to gin up national teams based on ethnicity. There is one person on the Israeli team who is actually an Israeli, and only 8 guys on the Italian team who are actually Italian. The Chinese team has guys from Panama, Massachusetts, Missouri, and Oregon on it, Even Puerto Rico, the DR, and Mexico, which certainly could field legit teams, have multiple guys from the USA on the teams, many of which have never been to the country in question.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "I like rainbows and bunnies." ~~Frank

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    It is OK, but I would rather watch a regular spring training (which this mis-timed event disrupts). First I don't decide who to like or dislike based on what color their passport is. I follow the Reds and the team's best player is Canadian.
    And he's not even playing in the WBC for us...

Blog Entries
    I enjoy the WBC, and I find it more interesting than Spring Training. I can't say I have a vested, enthusiastic interest, but it's a nice segue into the regular season.

The legitimacy of player nationalities isn't a big deal to me. I just like to watch meaningful baseball.
    RIP Current Events Board
    Couldn't Survive Lackluster Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Fan View Post
    On Friday, not today.
    Damn, good catch. Had that in my head the entire time when I was typing it out and ended up omitting it anyway.

Blog Entries
    MLB Network will show every game, although a handful of the Far East games will be on tape delay because of overlap between sites.

Here's the schedule:

http://m.mlb.com/network/shows/?id=mlbn_wbc

Blog Entries
    Israel is 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Israel is 2-0.
    And automatically qualifies for the 2021 WBC by not finishing last in their pool. Similarly, South Korea who were runners up in 2009 are in danger of having to qualify in 4 years.

I'm watching. There's some great baseball being played.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Blog Entries
    The heritage exemption greatly expands the talent pool available to the Israeli team, but Israel Association of Baseball president Peter Kurz said he went to great lengths to prove player eligibility to MLB, which operates the WBC in conjunction with the players' union. He presented birth certificates, marriage certificates and, yes, even circumcision certificates to bring players aboard.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...seball-classic

Blog Entries
    Israel's run has ended. Japan and The Netherlands have advanced to the semifinals in LA next week.

Puerto Rico also upset the mighty Dominican team last night in the first Pool F game. The US takes on Venezuela tonight at 9ET.

After the Cubs won the world series there's a whole new world of baseball out there to be explored.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Javy is awesome just a wizard in the field and yes, the Cubs are fun to watch. I did not mind skipping the 100th running to go to the game last year at beautiful Wrigley Field.

Adrian Gonzalez on the WBC: "They're trying to be the World Cup, but they're not even the Little League World Series."

Mexico was eliminated on a tie-breaker that basically came down to them letting up 5 runs with a 4 run lead in the 9th inning...without ever recording an out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F1 and IndyCar View Post
    Adrian Gonzalez on the WBC: "They're trying to be the World Cup, but they're not even the Little League World Series."
    I guess he didn't see the atmosphere at some of the games played by host Japan, or the USA-DOM game.

Also, maybe he should check some of the rosters. Take a good look at Venezuela's team.

I think Adrian is a little bitter about not advancing.

Blog Entries
    The stakes and difficulty level were both extremely high. And if you didn't see it happen live, you'd think this photo of the all-time WBC classic moment was staged:

Blog Entries
    I'm pulling for the DR because of Cruz and Cano.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    The stakes and difficulty level were both extremely high. And if you didn't see it happen live, you'd think this photo of the all-time WBC classic moment was staged:

Adam Jones, superstar who was with the Mariners until he was traded by the worst GM of all time, Buzzy Bavasi. Got Eric Bedard who refused to pitch if he get got a little tired or sore. Missed a year with 'tightness' in his shoulder. After the Mariners finally got rid of him, he took himself out of a no-hitter because he hit his pitch count.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    I'm pulling for the DR because of Cruz and Cano.
    Too bad, cuz they outtie.

MON: NED vs. PUR
    TUE: USA vs. JAP

WED: semifinal winners; winner take all

I'll be sad to see the tournament end. There have been some truly great games.

Never thought US would make it out of their group with Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. Quite the test tomorrow against Japan who is 6-0 (though one could argue against easier competition).

Insider
    It will be sad to see the WBC go away. Every three years, it's an early start to meaningful baseball and a break from March Madness.

United States vs Puerto Rico in the winner take all championship game tonight at 9:00 EST.

Blog Entries
    USA!

Attendance for the full tournament was over 1 million.

Also, ratings for the event continued to increase, with 2017 (through Saturday) up 18% over 2013.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#500ca5749d9b

It was a fun tournament. I probably watched as much this year as all other years combined. Meaningful baseball in March is a good thing.

Finally! USA wins.