Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nome, Alaska plane crash - drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I can like of worse words to follow "Reality TV"... Like President.
    You mean "best President ever"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Counting DVR numbers, almost 2 million HHs so over 3 million viewers per episode. 1 out 100 Americans is watching this crap:
    It's all it takes to be a one percenter.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I can like of worse words to follow "Reality TV"... Like President.
    Beats the alternative by a country mile even if I did hold my nose on a cold Tuesday morning
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Plays well with Others
    The saddest thing about the heroin epidemic is that there are treatment options out there. Doctors just don't want to ge their hands dirty, so to speak. There is still a big stigma around heroin and lots of older docs still think of the inner city junkie. Sadly, it had to hit Carmel and Fishers (affluent cities north of Indy for those not from here) before the State started to take action. The younger doctors are more willing to help.....but in the end it's up to the addict to WANT to get better. The first step of AA/NA is admitting one is powerless over their addiction and his/her life is unmanageable. That's a tough step for a lot of people to take.

As for Narcan, I have my own opinions. I think it's a great lifesaving tool, but it has become sort of a "safety net" for a lot of addicts that have no intention of getting clean. They'll OD, get revived via Narcan, and keep on using. I've heard from my Dad (he's a Deputy) of a guy they revived TWICE in one day! I think some sort of legislation needs to be implemented that anyone revived with Narcan has to be placed on a 72 hour emergency medical hold and speak with an addictions counselor or social worker. Something to get them to see the light....I mean, OD'ing is pretty much rock bottom, IMO....just my thoughts on that anyway.

I know the treatment I promote isn't for everyone. But it has saved a lot of lives, and I've seen the living proof of it over the past decade.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Blog Entries
    Drug companies, doctors and pharmacies are complicit:

Follow the pills and you'll find the overdose deaths.

The trail of painkillers leads to West Virginia's southern coalfields, to places like Kermit, population 392. There, out-of-state drug companies shipped nearly 9 million highly addictive — and potentially lethal — hydrocodone pills over two years to a single pharmacy in the Mingo County town.

Rural and poor, Mingo County has the fourth-highest prescription opioid death rate of any county in the United States.

The trail also weaves through Wyoming County, where shipments of OxyContin have doubled, and the county's overdose death rate leads the nation. One mom-and-pop pharmacy in Oceana received 600 times as many oxycodone pills as the Rite Aid drugstore just eight blocks away.

In six years, drug wholesalers showered the state with 780 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills, while 1,728 West Virginians fatally overdosed on those two painkillers, a Sunday Gazette-Mail investigation found.
    http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-he...e-of-overdoses

McKesson added Morrisey's lawsuit assigns blame to drug wholesalers for West Virginia's opioid crisis “without acknowledging the role played by doctors, pharmacists and the regulatory agencies that oversee doctors and pharmacists.”
    “McKesson's shipments were in response to orders placed by these registered entities,” the company's chief lawyer wrote. “Thus, McKesson lawfully shipped controlled substances to registered pharmacies.”
    I vas only followink orders...
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Plays well with Others
    Purdue pharma, makers of Oxycontin, had to pay north of $600 million in a settlement where they were accused of falsely misleading physicians into thinking it was less addictive than other opioid painkillers. There was an LA Times expose on the whole thing, including internal memos....pretty damning stuff. Really, the whole thing got going when docs were introduced to the "5th vital sign" (pain) in the early 90s and pushed to make sure no one had any pain. I have one doctor that was an orthopedic surgeon in Bulgaria....their language doesn't even have a translation for "narcotic". He literally managed post-op pain with NSAIDs and physical therapy....and said he rarely had complaints from patients. His biggest eye opener when moving here was how docs threw painkillers at even the slightest injuries....

The numbers with opioid addiction are nuts. 143,000 US overdose deaths in the last three years: compare that to 93,000 killed smoking crack from 1984-93. You have a combo of issues going on with people being put on all sorts of frankly absurd medications only to get pulled off once it became clear abuse was occurring and switching over to street forms along with Mexican cartels discovering the startlingly huge margins on Fentantyl as an add-in for heroin could make up shortages from elsewhere in their business model (marijuana being a primary cause of cartel shortfalls). Fentanyl also decentralizes the drug biz a bit, which creates more opportunities for smaller groups, which has led to increased destabilization in Mexico.

All those people dying and neither political party seemed to care one iota in the last election.

Maybe the attitude is starting to shift. The mayor of Everett WA has filed a lawsuit against Purdue Pharma.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...r_says_it.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    Maybe the attitude is starting to shift. The mayor of Everett WA has filed a lawsuit against Purdue Pharma.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...r_says_it.html
    ......And they're not even in the NCAA 68.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Decisions have consequences.

Generating children and not giving them guidance has consequences.

It is a self licking ice cream cone.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Blog Entries
    Grainger's fiancee, who reported him overdue early March 6, told the NTSB that he had flown from Wasilla to Nome about 20 times "but usually in summer," the report said. It wasn't immediately clear Wednesday if Grainger had previously made the trip in winter.
    That's a lot of visits to friends.

"Nome City Field Airport has no lighting and is not plowed in winter," investigators wrote. "About one mile to the west is Nome Airport, which does have runway and approach lighting and is fully maintained."

Price*said the Nome City Field runway was "covered in snow" when she visited to investigate the crash.

Before Grainger tried to land, a friend texted him that the weather was "10 miles 600 over" — which Price said meant 10 miles visibility, but overcast with clouds at an altitude of 600 feet. A weather report from the Nome Airport about 20 minutes before the crash listed conditions as visibility of*10 miles and overcast clouds at 400 feet.

"(Grainger) texted back 'Ok I think I can sneak in,' then he proceeded to make four visual approaches to City Field runway 21, as well as circling maneuvers in the area," investigators wrote. "He texted 'one more try' and after he couldn't land, he texted 'one more ok' before his last attempt. At (10:14 p.m.) he texted 'not happening' and departed the area."
    I was there this weekend, there was at least a foot of new snow on the runway. No way you're landing on wheels.

This story smells bad - the friend on the ground had to know the strip was ass deep in snow. Either he was setting the guy up to crash on landing or he thought the plane was equipped with skis.

Price said troopers were able to recover the Cessna's GPS receiver, and data from it showed that the plane had flown a total of 596 statute miles.
    The missing part of the puzzle is whether he refueled along the way or not.

There was no evidence at the scene that the fuel in the containers aboard the plane was being "jury-rigged"*to feed the engine midflight, she said.

"Nobody knew what his plans for those cans was," Price said, noting that some of the witnesses interviewed*"believe he may have planned to use them if he needed to divert somewhere."
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...e-plane-crash/

My guess is once he figured he couldn't land at the light plane strip, he never thought for a second about trying the main 6,000 foot airport which is lighted and has strobes and all the goodies and nav aids. I would bet he was flying east where he could find a stretch of bare road so he could land and add enough fuel to get to another airport with no cops looking for him. He ran out of fuel and went in 8 miles from a road he could have landed on.

Plays well with Others
    Quote Originally Posted by Niseguy View Post
    Decisions have consequences.

Generating children and not giving them guidance has consequences.

It is a self licking ice cream cone.
    With all due respect, that is an overly simplistic explanation. For some, sure.
    How about the people, the regular joes, who got hurt on the job and were prescribed painkillers? They had legitimate pain and were in legitimate need of them (post operative surgery, major back issues, etc) and took them as prescribed. But then the slippery slope started. They started "clock watching", anxious for the time to take their next dose. They start running out of the meds early and asking the doc for an early refill. Going to different docs to get scripts. And so on and so on until they're medically classified as having Opioid Use Disorder. They're addicted and never asked to be. They didn't start out by partying, or doing recreational stuff. Lots of stories like that. Professionals, blue collar workers, doctors, lawyers, dentists, accountants, stay-at-home moms. They didn't "decide" to get hooked....they took what their doctor gave them. And that's where I hold at fault the big pharma companies that pushed these powerful painkillers to docs, the medical societies (well respected ones like the American Medical Association) preached that no one should be in any pain, and so on.

It's a complicated issue with no easy answers. But it's not just a "decision" for everyone. And thankfully a lot of the people I described above were able to recognize their issues and get help. Sadly more were not.