Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodyear--No More Blimp

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    It was a big deal in the 60s to be the first to see the blimp. Other things that were exciting to be the first to see was mountain peaks when heading West out of Kansas, or the Space Needle when heading into Seattle.
    That reminds of playing the "who is first to see the St. Croix River" game along the WI and MN border as we would head up to see the grandparents. Took me until I was driving to realize that it was easier for the driver to see it than the kids in back and there was a reason dad always won.
    Eff LBD!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    Everybody remember when they use to dock it at Weir Cook at the southeast corner of the airport and you could easily see it while passing along I-465?
    In my youth, the blimp was parked at Mt. Comfort east of Indy. It would pretty much go over my house in Lawrence on the way to the track. It seemed so low we could almost touch it (the blimp).
    For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that be the will of God, than for doing evil. -- 1 Peter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I enjoyed taking my wife over there and just saying "There's the blimp"
    I hope that was on the way to something else, and not the highlight of date night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Sad to see them moving from Ohio. Growing up it was cool to see the blimp flying over just at random times. I enjoyed taking my wife over there and just saying "There's the blimp" like it's no big thing.

Jason
    IIRC, while Wingfoot Two is only in Akron temporarily until it replaces Spirit of Innovation out west, I think Wingfoot Three (the third and final planned semi-rigid airship) will be based long-term in Ohio.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcheap View Post
    Uuuuhh yeah. Why else would they have built them?
    To fly over Double-A baseball games, of course.

Blog Entries
    To an airship fanatic this is pretty big news. A semirigid was the first airborne vehicle to reach the North Pole (the Norge) and I always wondered why they didn't achieve more favor.

Who knows, maybe big rigids will make a comeback. They could be the ultimate cruise line.
    "And our credo: 'Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc: We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.' Not just pretty words."

TrackForum Pick 5 International Sweepstakes Point Standings

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    To an airship fanatic this is pretty big news. A semirigid was the first airborne vehicle to reach the North Pole (the Norge) and I always wondered why they didn't achieve more favor.

Who knows, maybe big rigids will make a comeback. They could be the ultimate cruise line.

(Yeah, I know...hydrogen, not helium.)

USS Shenandoah

USS Macon

USS Akron
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Suddenly I'm wondering if my Erector set is still in Mom's basement. I think the last time I played with it was the day before I got my first slot car set.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Blog Entries
    I built a mini Zeppelin many years ago. Motors/batterie were too heavy then for the lifting capability of helium...today it might be a different story.

I know, everyone points at the disasters of the 20s and 30s but things have advanced far enough that it might be different. Imagine riding in one of those things!