Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: Revenge of the Oxford Comma

  1. #1
    ...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    out of touch
    Posts
    33,244
    Blog Entries
    2
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "I like rainbows and bunnies." ~~Frank

  2. #2
    Insider XR1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gresham Oregon
    Posts
    2,453
    Blog Entries
    1
    Note to self, do not click on links.
    PAY NO MORE.
    Be there or be square.

  3. #3
    Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Minnesota Woods
    Posts
    12,075
    So I won't. What are we discussing here?
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

  4. #4
    ...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    out of touch
    Posts
    33,244
    Blog Entries
    2
    The possibility of inheriting $$$ from a Nigerian Prince who posts here under a different name...

  5. #5
    Insider XR1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gresham Oregon
    Posts
    2,453
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    So I won't. What are we discussing here?
    A article about a comma, that will leave you in a coma.

  6. #6
    Inside(he)r Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    52,675
    Blog Entries
    1
    There's no good reason not to use the comma. As a professional writer, I always do.
    RIP Current Events Board
    Couldn't Survive Lackluster Moderation

  7. #7
    Insider goner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Somewhere where she's never been before.
    Posts
    4,378
    It's the comma, comma, comma, comma, comma, chameleon.

    The firm that wrote the sentence I assume will be next to be sued.

  8. #8
    Subversively normal skypigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Olathe KS
    Posts
    32,942
    Blog Entries
    3
    That's "The firm that wrote the sentence, I assume, will be next to be sued."

  9. #9
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,085
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can the OP be held liable for starting this thread? Perhaps we can sue him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

  10. #10
    ...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    out of touch
    Posts
    33,244
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    It's the comma, comma, comma, comma, comma, chameleon.

    The firm that wrote the sentence I assume will be next to be sued.
    ...or perhaps,

    "comma comma comma comma com coma, yea, yea, yea,yeah..."

  11. #11
    Insider Ken-Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,558
    Where is the comma expert when we need him?

    BigWheelHawaii? Are you out there?

  12. #12
    ...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    out of touch
    Posts
    33,244
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Can the OP be held liable for starting this thread? Perhaps we can sue him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Keep Ron Howard out of this...

  13. #13
    Insider goner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Somewhere where she's never been before.
    Posts
    4,378
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    That's "The firm that wrote the sentence, I assume, will be next to be sued."
    Rats.
    Yep, a total swing and a miss. Thanks.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh, In
    Posts
    1,019
    Where's Spike when we need him?


    Better? Thanks.\/\/

  15. #15
    Insider Ken-Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,558
    Quote Originally Posted by racer47201 View Post
    Where's Spike when we need him.
    I believe that your sentence is a question and should end with a question mark.

  16. #16
    Inside(he)r Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    52,675
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by racer47201 View Post
    Where's Spike when we need him?
    I'll let you know if that situation ever arises.

  17. #17
    Insider goner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Somewhere where she's never been before.
    Posts
    4,378
    Quote Originally Posted by racer47201 View Post
    Where's Spike when we need him.
    The commas may have caused him to pause.

  18. #18
    There is no substitute. Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Driving the point home
    Posts
    21,983
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    That's "The firm that wrote the sentence, I assume, will be next to be sued."
    There should be a comma after the first word in your sentence.

    That's, "The firm that wrote the sentence, I assume, will be next to be sued."
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

  19. #19
    Inside(he)r Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    52,675
    Blog Entries
    1
    I disagree.

  20. #20
    There is no substitute. Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Driving the point home
    Posts
    21,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    I'll let you know if that situation ever arises.
    Says the self-proclaimed professional writer who still struggles with the proper usage of the question mark.

  21. #21
    There is no substitute. Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Driving the point home
    Posts
    21,983
    Quote Originally Posted by XR1000 View Post
    A article about a comma, that will leave you in a coma.
    History is rife with stories of legal cases that hinged on a single error in punctuation.

  22. #22
    Insider goner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Somewhere where she's never been before.
    Posts
    4,378
    I need pictures.


  23. #23
    Inside(he)r Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    52,675
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Says the self-proclaimed professional writer who still struggles with the proper usage of the question mark.
    ?

    BTW, the employer who pays me to write things proclaims me a professional writer.



    Back to ignore with ye!(?)

    (Seriously, we'll just let you know if we ever really need you. Be ready.)

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Paul View Post
    Where is the comma expert when we need him?

    BigWheelHawaii? Are you out there?
    Paper is way more the expert on commas.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Says the self-proclaimed professional writer who still struggles with the proper usage of the question mark.

  26. #26
    Subversively normal skypigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Olathe KS
    Posts
    32,942
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    There should be a comma after the first word in your sentence.

    That's, "The firm that wrote the sentence, I assume, will be next to be sued."
    You are correct. My mistake.

    In a different context, I could have used a colon, too.

  27. #27
    Inside(he)r Ren Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    52,675
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Indeed it was a side-splitter, but not for the reason you guys think.

  28. #28
    There is no substitute. Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Driving the point home
    Posts
    21,983
    Yes, everyone please refrain from thinking for yourselves and wait for Ren Butler to instruct you on what, and how, you should be thinking.

  29. #29
    Insider Frank Capua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Wearin' my Vans down by the River...
    Posts
    47,089
    Agnes Spencer told me when I was a Freshman in High School that you didn't need a comma before "and" and so that has always been the way I use it... Until Goner showed me through the magic of pictures that I needed to give it a second look.

    Proving I can change.

    However, I still say Ren is full of poo when he says the """ (quotation mark) has to go after the period if the title of a book or movie is the last word in your sentence. That I will never abide.

    But then again in the last couple weeks I've heard an explanation of what quotation marks mean that I nor Agnes Spencer ever imagined possible.

    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."



  30. #30
    Ohioan thehairpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,853
    In my opinion, the best case for use of the Oxford Comma:

    https://twitter.com/LutheranSatire/s...56926056255488
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

    INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

    my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •