Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is your computer?

Blog Entries

How old is your computer?

Just curious. Here's why: this month marks the seventh year past since I bought my laptop. This is a full year longer than any other computer I've owned and used regularly. First one was a Mac Performa 460 bought in 1994. Somehow I got six years out of it despite it being wickedly obsolete by the time I finally got rid of it for an HP Pavilion 6730. The Pavilion also lasted six years, ran beautifully until one day, it didn't. Replaced it with an 2006 core duo iMac, thinking for the money I paid it should last me ten years. The iMac lasted three before a GPU overheating issue Apple refused to acknowledge nearly trashed it. I could still get it to run, but only with a third-party program to keep its fan on high speed. So, I got rid of it and bought the HP laptop I currently use, with the first generation of i-series multi-core processors (a Core i3 if you're wondering).

It still runs great, and does everything I need it to. All I've done to it is max out its memory and, two years ago, replaced it's standard hard drive with an SSD.The one serious issue I've had with it was overheating, and that had an easy fix: Get a can of compressed air and blow out its vents. Now it runs nice and cool. It runs Windows 10 with no problems. It opens programs and responds to commands lightning-quick. In short, I see no reason to get rid of it, even though it's "old," and probably will hang on to it for another three years at least.

People wonder why traditional computers don't sell like they used to? Maybe that's it...
    Last edited by skypigeon; 03-17-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Clarifying details, making Ren happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    Get a can of condensed air and blow out its vents.
    I hope it was compressed air...

We own three laptops now, and the Dell I got in 2011 is my favorite, even if it's slow.

Our Toshiba from a couple years ago is junk, and I hate our new Samsung already.
    For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that be the will of God, than for doing evil. -- 1 Peter

Another reason is that Bill hasn't made the operating system obsolete so a new puter is needed to run the operating software

I've had my computer for 4 years but I would have to ask my son how long he had it before he handed it down to me to get any idea of how old it is.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post

We own three laptops now, and the Dell I got in 2011 is my favorite, even if it's slow.

Our Toshiba from a couple years ago is junk, and I hate our new Samsung already.
    I have a 2-year old Lenovo X-1 Carbon, works just fine. The new version is a shade lighter and has a slightly better screen and battery life but not enough of a difference to make me reach in my pocket.

My old Laptop (which I call Robocop) is 8 1/2 years old and still going strong despite some dents and scratched. It's a 17" Dell that is fairly hefty but it still works perfectly well, although I occasionally need to do some cleanup on it. The only major problem I had with it was when the originally installed Windows Vista completely shat the bed on me and I had to get some tech friends to help me access stuff so I could get Win 7 installed, but since then it's been great!

My desktop is 6 years old, although I have done some upgrades since then (new video card and upgraded RAM) but the rest of the guts are the same and it works perfectly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post

Fixed. I hate it when the wrong word comes out of my fingers...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsoupe View Post
    My old Laptop (which I call Robocop)
    Peter Weller; his mother, Dorothy, was my mom's best friend in high school in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. They were double dating when my mom met my dad.

Did Dorthy forgive your Mom for stealing her date?

Insider
    A two month old Lenovo. The Acer Laptop befoe that worked great for 7 years until one day it did not anymore like the above. I still have an orginal iPad that gets used constantly and works just fine.

Bought this one in 2008 after the fire.

iMac
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    Did Dorthy forgive your Mom for stealing her date?
    My mom dumped her date at the dance and took up with my dad. Hussy.

My current one is 12 years old. Runs Linux now and still does everything I need it to do.

My family's relationships with computers date back to the Manhattan Project, of course. Later, my uncle, 10 years my senior, was one of the first people in town to get a degree in computer science. I remember him coming back from college with his first computer program, which consisted of a shoebox full of punchcards.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    We had a black one and it stopped running.

So we bought another black one.

That one lasted a while and I bought one off a guy on facebook for $160 a few months back

Its also black.

Yeah, I have no clue about technology.
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    We had a black one and it stopped running.

So we bought another black one.

That one lasted a while and I bought one off a guy on facebook for $160 a few months back

Its also black.

Yeah, I have no clue about technology.
    We are kindred spirits. My kindle fire does everything I require.
    PAY NO MORE.
    Be there or be square.

225 Miles from Indianapolis Motor Speedway
    I'm typing this on a Dell XPS desktop which I believe is 10 years old & updated to Win 10. Originally was built with Vista.

Replaced the Hard Drive once, due to excessive use of erasing.

On my 3rd mouse. Otherwise, OE all the way.
    "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Plays well with Others
    Dell laptop for work, fairly new. My personal is a 8 year old Sony VAIO, and it is getting really slow, especially when I "upgraded" to Windows 10. And the power port is about shot, you have to keep the cord at the perfect angle for it to charge. I hardly ever use it. Even the work laptop I only use for work....I'm on my phone or iPad mostly these days. Funny, I have two towers sitting in my garage. I keep saying I'm going to take them in and pull off my files to an external hard drive but never do....nothing too important on them anyway
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Blog Entries
    My current desktop is homemade. I'm guessing about 4 years old. Running Win7
    I have 2 Dell laptops. One is about 4 years old that I normally use when traveling, running Win7. The 2nd is even older, it's running XP. I used it on one of my last jobs because it had a serial port on it which I needed to hookup to Fiber optic switching equipment to do setups and configurations.

Blog Entries
    My kindle fits in my back pocket.

What color is it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    My mom dumped her date at the dance and took up with my dad. Hussy.
    Reason I asked is that my parents met on a double date... And my Dad was engaged to his date.

And they all remained friends...

Sort of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    What color is it?
    BLACK

Cool

Those are the good ones.

I built it too well. A first generation i5 and it's 6 years old almost 7. Asus MB with solid capacitors and other quality components making it last forever. I have gone through a couple of upgrades: newe Nvidia GeForce video card, memory and SSD drive. It still runs iRacing, RFactor and Assetto Corsa with a Logitech G920 wheel with thrustmaster shifter attached to sim racing seat.

Windows 7 Pro x64

20 years as an IT Professional

I also still have my vintage Commodore 128 and C64 along with 1541 disk drive for vintage gaming.

Well the case is just over a year old, the oldest component is around 5 and the newest is less than a month old.
    Last edited by Jsieczka; 03-19-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Running a Dell a bought in 2011 that replaced a Dell that was purchased in 2003. Close lightning strike took out the 2003 and a printer. I still have a computer from 2000 that still boots up to Windows ME.

225 Miles from Indianapolis Motor Speedway
    I still have a computer from 2000 that still boots up to Windows ME.
    I got a homebuilt from year 2000 running 98. Occasionally use it for some old games.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KenK View Post
    I got a homebuilt from year 2000 running 98. Occasionally use it for some old games.
    I am in the process of putting a version of 98 on it. I just re-partitioned a hard drive that I might install multiple OS on just for fun. I have a few old games that were fun back in the day that I might want to get going again.

I still have my 486dx with an overdrive intel CPU and 8mb ram, scsi CD-ROM with caddy. I might fire it up today with some this Paul Page and this is Indycar Racing II