Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty first century

I use the self checkout if I have few enough items, but I NEVER use the one with the conveyor, oh hell no!

I also scan the people in front of me to see if I should wait in the self checkout line or just bail to the cashier.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    GOOD!

I was at a local Wally World last week and there was lines at the handful of checkout lanes that were open and the self check out lanes were wide open.

Guess I'm not the only one who hates them
    Agreed. And to answer the question about what is wrong with having a choice - stores frequently have fewer manned lines because of these and if you go at a bad time there may only be one with a cashier depending on the store. So people who don't like them get to choose between a long line or the self-checkout. Some choice.
    Eff LBD!

Insider
    My wife prefers to do the grocery shopping (as would you, were you married to me) so I was good with the self-checkouts until the day she gave me a shopping list. Who knew there were different types of potatoes, apples, oranges, tomatoes and probably other types of produce that have to be either described to the check-out machine or discovered in an on-screen book of photos? Which all look pretty much alike to me, just like they do in the bins. Unfortunately the photos don't also show the price so simply entering the least expensive example isn't really an option. Accidentally picking the most expensive, on the other hand, is both possible and likely.

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Learning to drive in the rain in Brownsburg, Indiana
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Rotary Connection?

Now there's a name I hadn't seen in years.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Blog Entries
    Put your item in the bag. Repeat over and over and over.
    PAY NO MORE.
    Be there or be square.

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    Agreed. And to answer the question about what is wrong with having a choice - stores frequently have fewer manned lines because of these and if you go at a bad time there may only be one with a cashier depending on the store. So people who don't like them get to choose between a long line or the self-checkout. Some choice.
    Yep, there's not much of a choice around here when it comes to that, it's either a long line at the self checkout, or a ridiculously longer line at the cashier most of the time when I go.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Yep, there's not much of a choice around here when it comes to that, it's either a long line at the self checkout, or a ridiculously longer line at the cashier most of the time when I go.
    Our main store has decided to not have any which is nice. Our secondary store (the one that is easiest to hit most of the time when driving home) is owned by the same company but they are branded differently. That one relies heavily on the self-checkout which means long lines if you want to have a human check you out. Really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Theres two of them within reasonable driving distance of home.

I hate both of them.
    We recently moved out to a smaller town. There's a Walmart about 5 minutes from the house; any other grocery store is 15-20 minutes.

I had no idea how much I could miss Kroger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thehairpin View Post
    \

Was it the type with the conveyor belt where you bag your groceries after you pay or the type where you bag as you go and the machine constantly badgers you about phantom unbagged items, equally nonexistent unscanned items in the bag, and incorrect product weights?
    That used to happen a lot when they first came along, but I haven't experienced that in quite some time.

If some of you were still experiencing that with older technology, I would understand the frustration.
    "I'm sure some ****heads'' worldview is that he might. They're probably fat, too, and not too bright. Perhaps not in a relationship that offers regular sex. Possibly unable to save for retirement, so we'll have to pay for that." -- from an actual post by our TF "moderator"

Blog Entries
    I never experience those issues where I shop.

I think the problem for some of you is the local business and not the concept/technology, which all work very well where I shop.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    I never experience those issues where I shop.

I think the problem for some of you is the local business and not the concept/technology, which all work very well where I shop.
    You asked what was wrong with choice and these are some answers. Your store isn't the only one with self-checkouts.

Blog Entries
    You asked what was wrong with choice and these are some answers. Your store isn't the only one with self-checkouts.
    The reason for that reply is incomprehensible.

All I did was share that my experience is different and positive, and that I don't have the problems that you guys are describing, while fully acknowledging that if your places are poorly run or have older technology I can understand the frustration.

Is there really something wrong with saying that? Good grief, this place sometimes.

Insider
    The reason for that reply is incomprehensible.

All I did was share that my experience is different and positive, and that I don't have the problems that you guys are describing, while fully acknowledging that if your places are poorly run or have older technology I can understand the frustration.

Is there really something wrong with saying that? Good grief, this place sometimes.
    Overreact much? Exactly what about my reply is causing you concern?

Blog Entries
    I used one at Sam's yesterday. Took about 30 seconds to do my card and then another 30 secs to do the first item. I was swearing and looking around and then blip blip the rest just went fine. If it goes that smoothly, I'll use it again.

It never works very well at Lowes, keeps asking questions, 'Are you sure you want to put that in the bag? Where's your MyLowes card? Why are you buying that, you already have one in the garage, look for it. Move something, maybe.'

That used to happen a lot when they first came along, but I haven't experienced that in quite some time.

If some of you were still experiencing that with older technology, I would understand the frustration.
    I still deal with these problems all the time, but Cleveland standalone grocery stores are all either local or regional chains, so new technology is slow in getting to us except for Wal-Mart and Target and Cleveland isn't particularly large or wealthy compared with most cities, so we're probably low on their totem poles for updates as well.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

I love using the self checkout when I only have a few items. The only time I've had an issue is when someone in front of me doesn't know how to use it or decides to checkout a week's worth of groceries.
    Indianapolis 500s attended: 12
    Brickyard 400s attended: 12
    USAC/ WoO etc. races: 38

Ditto what Ford Racing said above. It's really good for 15 or less items--especially when the express checkout lanes are full of people. And that happens quite a bit.

I've found the conveyor belt models to work well for a full week of groceries if you have two people shopping (one to scan, one to bag). Otherwise, you hold up the line bagging (unless they have an order separator bar available in the bagging area).

Blog Entries
    Order separator bar? Now I am scared

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by XR1000 View Post
    Order separator bar? Now I am scared
    It's called a Spratchet
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Quote Originally Posted by thehairpin View Post
    I've found the conveyor belt models to work well for a full week of groceries if you have two people shopping (one to scan, one to bag). Otherwise, you hold up the line bagging (unless they have an order separator bar available in the bagging area).
    I grocery shop every other day... I buy fresh and I eat fresh. Any farther ahead than that in Florida and your fresh vegetables go south on you. It's rare that I purchase more than 10-12 items so the self checkout line works best for me. 50% of the time I don't know for sure what I'm gonna fix for supper until I see what looks good in the produce section. Only exception is my protein, I buy protein when it's on sale and freeze it. I'll decide on a protein before I shop and put it in the fridge to defrost. Except for seafood, Shrimp I buy as it's unloaded at the dock.

If I were to show up with a grocery cart load of stuff I would not use self-checkout... When people get in line for self-checkout and they see someone in line ahead of them has a full load in their cart they let out a groan. It's not what they are for.

Where do you grocery shop where they have a "bagging area"?

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I grocery shop every other day... I buy fresh and I eat fresh. Any farther ahead than that in Florida and your fresh vegetables go south on you. It's rare that I purchase more than 10-12 items so the self checkout line works best for me. 50% of the time I don't know for sure what I'm gonna fix for supper until I see what looks good in the produce section. Only exception is my protein, I buy protein when it's on sale and freeze it. I'll decide on a protein before I shop and put it in the fridge to defrost. Except for seafood, Shrimp I buy as it's unloaded at the dock.

If I were to show up with a grocery cart load of stuff I would not use self-checkout... When people get in line for self-checkout and they see someone in line ahead of them has a full load in their cart they let out a groan. It's not what they are for.

Where do you grocery shop where they have a "bagging area"?
    Giant Eagle. A Pittsburgh-based regional chain whose farthest outpost is Columbus, Ohio, IIRC.

Here's a good photo of one of their non-express lane self-checkouts. The bagging area is at the far end of the conveyor belt.

By the way, does anybody else shop at a store that requires scanning a loyalty card to use a self-checkout? Giant Eagle, where I usually shop, does. I shop at Kroger when in Columbus and Indy. Can't remember if they require it or not.

Blog Entries
    I grocery shop every other day... I buy fresh and I eat fresh. Any farther ahead than that in Florida and your fresh vegetables go south on you.
    Not in Alaska. All of our produce comes via ship from Seattle and, in turn, the original product was picked weeks ago in Chile or Mexico and then timed to ripen in transit.

That's why we end up with avocados that are the same consistency as hand grenades.

You can use the rounder avocados as Croquet balls down here... Everytime I buy them I ask for a small brown bag to help them ripe.

Everything else down here ripes too quick.

Blog Entries
    A couple of years ago, I bought grapefruit that came from South Africa. I have no idea how that makes any sense.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    I have a long history designing stores with self-checkouts. We installed them years ago long before they were very friendly. They did not work well. The last CEO I worked under at Target was adamant about not using them. He was also adamant about checkout lines NEVER being more than three people deep. After I retired and he retired, I see Target is now installing them. I also see Target has relaxed the three deep rule in my observations. Coincidence that Target sales are down?

Self-checkouts require fewer employees. That's good and bad. They are job killers for sure but stores cannot hire enough reliable people right now and that is the biggest reason for self-checkouts. For the majority they are convenient for a few items but they are not customer friendly.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Everytime I buy them I ask for a small brown bag to help them ripe.
    Next time ask for a small brown bag to help them ripen.

Everything else down here ripes too quick.
    Yeah.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

... --- ...
    I used to be the guy that always wanted personal service. But in our tourist town I learned to use the self check line to avoid the out of town people
    and their attitudes.
    ...---...

In Florida you long for folks with out of state attitudes.

Whatever it takes to keep the naked guy out of the McDonalds.