Dead at 90
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

Chuck Berry RIP

BBC is reporting them icon rock n roller has passed.
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Insider
    Just heard that. Had a heckuva run. RIP
    Eff LBD!

Blog Entries
    CNN just broke it. 90, found unresponsive in his home in St. Charles County, Missouri.

One of the Founding Fathers of Rock.

RIP.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    One of the Founding Fathers of Rock.

RIP.
    Without a doubt! I saw him in concert 3 times (once on the ice after an Indianapolis Racers game) and while it was later in life and he was no longer on the top of his game, it was still something I will never forget.

If you believe in forever,
    Then life is just a one-night stand.
    If there's a rock and roll heaven,
    Well you know they've got a helluva band.

In the excellent movie "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" about Chuck and a birthday concert, Bruce Springsteen tells a story of his early days. Chuck would travel from show to show with his guitar and the promoter provided the back up band. If the band was good Chuck gave them a few extra bucks at the end of the show.

Bruce's band was the back up band. They asked him what songs they were going to play and Chuck said, "Chuck Berry songs.". So they took the stage without knowing what was going to played or how. Berry started playing and Bruce said one of the guys in the band (can't recall which) was the historian and was able to figure out what Chuck was playing so everyone ran over to to find out what the song it was and the correct key.

Bruce didn't say if they got a few extra bucks at the end of the show.

The most influential pioneer of rock. Hopefully he was able to finish most of the new album he was working on.
    Indianapolis 500s attended: 11
    Brickyard 400s attended: 12
    USAC/ WoO etc. races: 36

Blog Entries
    It wouldn't be a Chuck Berry thread without a duck walk picture.

Rest in Peace, but keep on rockin' Johnny B. Goode

I do not really believe younger folks 'dude'-ing their way through life understand the significance to rock and roll of Chuck Berry. His passing today in terms of contemporary music is akin to the United States of America losing Thomas Jefferson in terms of politics. The vast majority of rock and roll songs written since the 1950s were directly influenced by that man. RIP to the legendary 90 year old. Rock and roll heaven now has their band leader.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    I do not really believe younger folks 'dude'-ing their way through life understand the significance to rock and roll of Chuck Berry. His passing today in terms of contemporary music is akin to the United States of America losing Thomas Jefferson in terms of politics. The vast majority of rock and roll songs written since the 1950s were directly influenced by that man. RIP to the legendary 90 year old. Rock and roll heaven now has their band leader.
    Yeah, he definitely was a ground breaking rocker but as it turned out in later years, a pervert as well.

Blog Entries
    BTW, in the early 80's I got to see Chucks daughter, Ingrid, front her band that was comprised of the drummer formerly of Pavlov's Dog and the lead Guitarist for Head East. The full name of the band escapes me now but it was Something, something Rhythm and Blooze band. She was an incredible performer, I suppose you could contribute her showmanship to years of watching her Dad. The only problem was she had real issues with booze. She'd often show up late with the rest of the band playing without her and sometimes when she did show up she was smashed. That or she'd be drinking heavily while she was performing and she'd get sloppy and uncontrollable late in the show. Still one of the most incredible bar bands I ever had the privilege to listen to. I know they toured in Florida for awhile. From what I heard her drinking caused the breakup of the band.
    Last edited by Indyknut; 03-18-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Yeah, he definitely was a ground breaking rocker but as it turned out in later years, a pervert as well.
    We all have our demons. Even Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    In the excellent movie "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" about Chuck and a birthday concert, Bruce Springsteen tells a story of his early days. Chuck would travel from show to show with his guitar and the promoter provided the back up band. If the band was good Chuck gave them a few extra bucks at the end of the show.

Bruce's band was the back up band. They asked him what songs they were going to play and Chuck said, "Chuck Berry songs.". So they took the stage without knowing what was going to played or how. Berry started playing and Bruce said one of the guys in the band (can't recall which) was the historian and was able to figure out what Chuck was playing so everyone ran over to to find out what the song it was and the correct key.

Bruce didn't say if they got a few extra bucks at the end of the show.
    That's actually not uncommon on blues-oriented jam nights. Except for the getting-paid part.

If you're the house band or otherwise hosting the jam, you never know who's going to show up or what they are going to want to play. You just throw in and play.
    Last edited by Sea Fury; 03-18-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Blog Entries
    He could play a guitar just like a ringin' a bell:

Insider
    The patriarch of rock and roll guitar heroes, RIP Mr. Berry.
    I played " Back in the USA" as I got off the plane after two weeks of being in Israel, before I had even heard of his passing.

It's only rock'n roll but I like it.

Insider
    He owes his fame to a phone call in "Back To The Future."

R.I.P.

==

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Blog Entries
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd with a nice tribute last night:

RIP.

Insider
    He could Play the blues pretty good also.

It's not who in Rock was inspired by Chuck Berry to play Rock n' Roll it's who wasn't. The Beatles' formative years spent in those German caverns were spent playing covers of Chuck Berry songs. The Beach Boys started out taking Chuck Berry songs and did nothing but change the lyrics to sing about Surfing and Hot Rods.

My Mom's favorite Chuck Berry song...

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    It's not who in Rock was inspired by Chuck Berry to play Rock n' Roll it's who wasn't. The Beatles' formative years spent in those German caverns were spent playing covers of Chuck Berry songs. The Beach Boys started out taking Chuck Berry songs and did nothing but change the lyrics to sing about Surfing and Hot Rods.

My Mom's favorite Chuck Berry song...

The Rolling Stones exist as we know them because Chuck Berry.

I saw a program with Keith and Chuck doing a studio jam session. Berry showed him the lick to play and Keith would play it back. No, no, no, like this. This went on a number of times. I thought Richards was going to come unglued. He never got it to Chucks liking but they finally just went with it.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    I saw a program with Keith and Chuck doing a studio jam session. Berry showed him the lick to play and Keith would play it back. No, no, no, like this. This went on a number of times. I thought Richards was going to come unglued. He never got it to Chucks liking but they finally just went with it.

RIP
    I think that was in Hail! Hail! Rock & Roll! and as I recall, Keef wasn't the only one there. I could be wrong because I haven't seen it for like 30 years, but I seem to recall either Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton also being in on that session, and thinking to myself, "I can't imagine anybody else but Chuck Berry talking to Keith Richards like that that and being allowed to get away with it..."