Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: RIP Chuck Berry

  1. #1
    Insider Truth Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
    Posts
    63,164

    RIP Chuck Berry

    Dead at 90
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014 & 2015 IEFA State Champs

  2. #2
    Insider beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    9,591

    Chuck Berry RIP

    BBC is reporting them icon rock n roller has passed.
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

  3. #3
    Insider
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,654
    Just heard that. Had a heckuva run. RIP
    Eff LBD!

  4. #4
    Subversively normal skypigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Olathe KS
    Posts
    32,785
    Blog Entries
    3
    CNN just broke it. 90, found unresponsive in his home in St. Charles County, Missouri.

  5. #5
    One of the Founding Fathers of Rock.

    RIP.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

    No one had to badge the Offy.

    Crapping all over threads since 2000.

  6. #6
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    62,070
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    One of the Founding Fathers of Rock.

    RIP.
    Without a doubt! I saw him in concert 3 times (once on the ice after an Indianapolis Racers game) and while it was later in life and he was no longer on the top of his game, it was still something I will never forget.

  7. #7
    35 & counting SeeUinMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,204
    If you believe in forever,
    Then life is just a one-night stand.
    If there's a rock and roll heaven,
    Well you know they've got a helluva band.





  8. #8
    In the excellent movie "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" about Chuck and a birthday concert, Bruce Springsteen tells a story of his early days. Chuck would travel from show to show with his guitar and the promoter provided the back up band. If the band was good Chuck gave them a few extra bucks at the end of the show.

    Bruce's band was the back up band. They asked him what songs they were going to play and Chuck said, "Chuck Berry songs.". So they took the stage without knowing what was going to played or how. Berry started playing and Bruce said one of the guys in the band (can't recall which) was the historian and was able to figure out what Chuck was playing so everyone ran over to to find out what the song it was and the correct key.

    Bruce didn't say if they got a few extra bucks at the end of the show.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    357
    The most influential pioneer of rock. Hopefully he was able to finish most of the new album he was working on.
    Indianapolis 500s attended: 11
    Brickyard 400s attended: 12
    USAC/ WoO etc. races: 36

  10. #10
    Insider grogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    in front of my laptop.
    Posts
    11,147
    Blog Entries
    2
    It wouldn't be a Chuck Berry thread without a duck walk picture.



    Rest in Peace, but keep on rockin' Johnny B. Goode

  11. #11
    Insider Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The fields I used to roam
    Posts
    15,498
    I do not really believe younger folks 'dude'-ing their way through life understand the significance to rock and roll of Chuck Berry. His passing today in terms of contemporary music is akin to the United States of America losing Thomas Jefferson in terms of politics. The vast majority of rock and roll songs written since the 1950s were directly influenced by that man. RIP to the legendary 90 year old. Rock and roll heaven now has their band leader.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

  12. #12
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,010
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    I do not really believe younger folks 'dude'-ing their way through life understand the significance to rock and roll of Chuck Berry. His passing today in terms of contemporary music is akin to the United States of America losing Thomas Jefferson in terms of politics. The vast majority of rock and roll songs written since the 1950s were directly influenced by that man. RIP to the legendary 90 year old. Rock and roll heaven now has their band leader.
    Yeah, he definitely was a ground breaking rocker but as it turned out in later years, a pervert as well.

  13. #13
    Insider Indyknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    250 miles west of Mindyana
    Posts
    21,010
    Blog Entries
    1
    BTW, in the early 80's I got to see Chucks daughter, Ingrid, front her band that was comprised of the drummer formerly of Pavlov's Dog and the lead Guitarist for Head East. The full name of the band escapes me now but it was Something, something Rhythm and Blooze band. She was an incredible performer, I suppose you could contribute her showmanship to years of watching her Dad. The only problem was she had real issues with booze. She'd often show up late with the rest of the band playing without her and sometimes when she did show up she was smashed. That or she'd be drinking heavily while she was performing and she'd get sloppy and uncontrollable late in the show. Still one of the most incredible bar bands I ever had the privilege to listen to. I know they toured in Florida for awhile. From what I heard her drinking caused the breakup of the band.
    Last edited by Indyknut; 03-18-2017 at 11:36 PM.

  14. #14
    Insider Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The fields I used to roam
    Posts
    15,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Yeah, he definitely was a ground breaking rocker but as it turned out in later years, a pervert as well.
    We all have our demons. Even Thomas Jefferson.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    In the excellent movie "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" about Chuck and a birthday concert, Bruce Springsteen tells a story of his early days. Chuck would travel from show to show with his guitar and the promoter provided the back up band. If the band was good Chuck gave them a few extra bucks at the end of the show.

    Bruce's band was the back up band. They asked him what songs they were going to play and Chuck said, "Chuck Berry songs.". So they took the stage without knowing what was going to played or how. Berry started playing and Bruce said one of the guys in the band (can't recall which) was the historian and was able to figure out what Chuck was playing so everyone ran over to to find out what the song it was and the correct key.

    Bruce didn't say if they got a few extra bucks at the end of the show.
    That's actually not uncommon on blues-oriented jam nights. Except for the getting-paid part.

    If you're the house band or otherwise hosting the jam, you never know who's going to show up or what they are going to want to play. You just throw in and play.
    Last edited by Sea Fury; 03-18-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

    "If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

  16. #16
    Insider Jim Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Alaska. I thought I mentioned that.
    Posts
    63,317
    Blog Entries
    5
    He could play a guitar just like a ringin' a bell:


  17. #17
    Insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    30 minutes from the Iowa Speedway
    Posts
    4,636
    The patriarch of rock and roll guitar heroes, RIP Mr. Berry.
    I played " Back in the USA" as I got off the plane after two weeks of being in Israel, before I had even heard of his passing.


  18. #18
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    62,070
    It's only rock'n roll but I like it.

  19. #19
    Insider
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    21,376
    He owes his fame to a phone call in "Back To The Future."

    R.I.P.

    ==

  20. #20
    Insider Jim Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Alaska. I thought I mentioned that.
    Posts
    63,317
    Blog Entries
    5

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    1
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

  22. #22
    Insider Jim Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Alaska. I thought I mentioned that.
    Posts
    63,317
    Blog Entries
    5
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd with a nice tribute last night:


  23. #23
    Insider Kurt Cobain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    19,241
    RIP.

  24. #24
    Insider
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oberbergischer Kreis, Deutschland
    Posts
    9,448
    He could Play the blues pretty good also.


  25. #25
    Insider Frank Capua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Wearin' my Vans down by the River...
    Posts
    46,857
    It's not who in Rock was inspired by Chuck Berry to play Rock n' Roll it's who wasn't. The Beatles' formative years spent in those German caverns were spent playing covers of Chuck Berry songs. The Beach Boys started out taking Chuck Berry songs and did nothing but change the lyrics to sing about Surfing and Hot Rods.

    My Mom's favorite Chuck Berry song...


    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."



  26. #26

  27. #27
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    62,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    It's not who in Rock was inspired by Chuck Berry to play Rock n' Roll it's who wasn't. The Beatles' formative years spent in those German caverns were spent playing covers of Chuck Berry songs. The Beach Boys started out taking Chuck Berry songs and did nothing but change the lyrics to sing about Surfing and Hot Rods.

    My Mom's favorite Chuck Berry song...


    The Rolling Stones exist as we know them because Chuck Berry.

  28. #28
    Insider goner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Somewhere where she's never been before.
    Posts
    4,144
    I saw a program with Keith and Chuck doing a studio jam session. Berry showed him the lick to play and Keith would play it back. No, no, no, like this. This went on a number of times. I thought Richards was going to come unglued. He never got it to Chucks liking but they finally just went with it.

    RIP

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    I saw a program with Keith and Chuck doing a studio jam session. Berry showed him the lick to play and Keith would play it back. No, no, no, like this. This went on a number of times. I thought Richards was going to come unglued. He never got it to Chucks liking but they finally just went with it.

    RIP
    I think that was in Hail! Hail! Rock & Roll! and as I recall, Keef wasn't the only one there. I could be wrong because I haven't seen it for like 30 years, but I seem to recall either Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton also being in on that session, and thinking to myself, "I can't imagine anybody else but Chuck Berry talking to Keith Richards like that that and being allowed to get away with it..."

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •