Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB thread

Blog Entries
    Mariners gave up 7 in the bottom of the 9th to the Angels. Since 2011, teams leading by six or more runs were 2,529-1.

Blog Entries
    One week into the season and the Reds are in first place in their division. They've won both series they've played (one a rare series win at Busch Stadium) and recorded three shutouts.

I'd love to freeze this moment in time for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grogg View Post
    One week into the season and the Reds are tied for first place in their division.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grogg View Post
    One week into the season and the Reds are in first place in their division. They've won both series they've played (one a rare series win at Busch Stadium) and recorded three shutouts.

I'd love to freeze this moment in time for a while.
    I'd also love to believe it means the Reds are going to be a competitive team, and even though I've enjoyed most of the first week, I think it's more indicative of how the Phillies and Cardinals stink.

That said, the Reds could be fun to watch this year regardless of their playoff chances, and for several years going forward in a more competitive capacity.
    I'm starting to understand why so many women feel negatively toward males. I had always assumed that the predators made up a small fraction of male-kind, but I may have been wrong. When you impose yourself on an unwilling target, you do great harm to both sexes. Time to grow up, boys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Mariners gave up 7 in the bottom of the 9th to the Angels. Since 2011, teams leading by six or more runs were 2,529-1.
    They should be named the Seattle Mendozas, with a team batting average of .178 -- the only team BA under .200 through the first week.

Banners go up tonight. 2016 World Series Champions. I get an up close look at Park/Plaza, Pennant and WS Banner at the game on Friday. I will getting some more bling at the new store as well.
    Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    Banners go up tonight. 2016 World Series Champions. I get an up close look at Park/Plaza, Pennant and WS Banner at the game on Friday. I will getting some more bling at the new store as well.
    Looks like it will be a rain out.

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Good things happen to my Cubs when it rains. The Korked Rain Delay shirt is my favorite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Simply delayed. The game will start shortly.

Banner ceremony was simply AWESOME! That'sCub

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    Banner ceremony was simply AWESOME! That'sCub
    I recorded it on DVR and can't wait to watch it when I get home.

I've got tickets in hand for 3 games this year so far.

Going to Wrigley Friday and Great American Ballpark next weekend when they play the Cubs.

Blog Entries
    Reds, it continues a little longer: Finnegan's start lasts 2 innings. Relievers Lorenzen, Reed and Peralta retire 21 straight Pirate batters in a row with a little help below. Reds win 7 -1.

Blog Entries
    Marlins shortstop JT Riddle got his first MLB hit -- on a check swing at a pitch that hit several inches in front of the plate!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCore View Post
    The New England Patriots of MLB.

Got tickets to Cubs @ Reds in a few weeks.

So the Blue Jays are back to being a typical Toronto team: IE lousy. The enthusiasm of the last 2 seasons was fun while it lasted but back to regularly scheduled Blue Jays programming.

Blog Entries
    Mariners were up 5-0 after 3. Lost 10-5. Team is now 2-7.

I wonder if Hank Aaron ever worried about his launch angle and exit velocity.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Marlins shortstop JT Riddle got his first MLB hit -- on a check swing at a pitch that hit several inches in front of the plate!
    You taken 'em any way you can get 'em. Makes up for line drives that get caught.

Blog Entries
    Mariners were up 5-0 after 3. Lost 10-5. Team is now 2-7.
    Sorry, 2-8. Other than the 1-7 Blue Jays, worst team in baseball.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, 2-8. Other than the 1-7 Blue Jays, worst team in baseball.
    FiveThirtyEight has the Mariners at #9 in MLB, followed by #10 Toronto.

The 7-2 Reds are ranked #22.

First time I've ever significantly doubted FTE about anything. Not that team rankings should be explicitly sorted by record, but still. Maybe it will sort itself out with a larger sample size.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    You taken 'em any way you can get 'em. Makes up for line drives that get caught.
    Exactly how baseball (and racing, for that matter) so often is a reflection or a metaphor of and for life.

Spike: honest and serious question. Is the above grammatically correct?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Exactly how baseball (and racing, for that matter) so often is a reflection or a metaphor of and for life.

Spike: honest and serious question. Is the above grammatically correct?
    You don't need him.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it certainly could be better.

Since he came up Madison Bumgarner has pitched more innings and had more starts than any other player. He has never been on the DL before...until now, thanks to a dirt bike accident. Bruised ribs and shoulder sprain on his throwing arm. Could be out up to two months.

So far this year 0-3 but a very respectable 3.00 ERA. He's had 7 runs of support in 4 starts. 2 came from him via HRs.

Blog Entries
    And that's why the new era of statistical-minded folks almost completely dismiss pitchers' win-loss records.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I wonder if Hank Aaron ever worried about his launch angle and exit velocity.
    Just like I wonder if Bob Gibson ever worries about his pitch count.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    Or spin rate.

On this date (April 22) in 1970 Tom Seaver struck out 19 Padres including ten in a row. "We need to watch Seaver's pitch count."-Said by no one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    Toughest SOB to ever play the game. A few days ago, Don Mattingly took his pitcher out after the 7th while he was throwing a no-hitter. 1st reliever got through the 8th, 2nd reliever gave up a double in the 9th. Gibson would have gone wild.

Blog Entries
    This is AWESOME -- and not just because of who it happened to.

(But did Coghlan miss third base? Almost looks like he did from the full-speed first angle, but hard to tell for sure.)

Blog Entries
    Toughest SOB to ever play the game. A few days ago, Don Mattingly took his pitcher out after the 7th while he was throwing a no-hitter. 1st reliever got through the 8th, 2nd reliever gave up a double in the 9th. Gibson would have gone wild.
    Makes you wonder why pitchers of today don't have 20 + year careers considering they're throwing far fewer innings than the pitchers from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Instead, they go down to injury, usually TJ fairly early in their careers and all too often when they come back from that surgery they're often not the pitcher that they were before.
    I have to wonder if these kids aren't going at it too early, like from little leagues on and by the time they get to the majors their arms and shoulders are just a pitch away from blowing out. I recall when I was in little leagues it was verbotten for any kid who was a pitcher, up to the 14 year old age, to throw curve balls. Too much fear the kids would screw their arms up. When mine was in little leagues, I don't recall there was such a rule. Then again, maybe there was and I just wasn't aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Makes you wonder why pitchers of today don't have 20 + year careers considering they're throwing far fewer innings than the pitchers from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Instead, they go down to injury, usually TJ fairly early in their careers and all too often when they come back from that surgery they're often not the pitcher that they were before.
    I have to wonder if these kids aren't going at it too early, like from little leagues on and by the time they get to the majors their arms and shoulders are just a pitch away from blowing out. I recall when I was in little leagues it was verbotten for any kid who was a pitcher, up to the 14 year old age, to throw curve balls. Too much fear the kids would screw their arms up. When mine was in little leagues, I don't recall there was such a rule. Then again, maybe there was and I just wasn't aware of it.
    There's all of that, plus the love affair with radar guns. The NL ERA leader last year was Kyle Hendricks who is one of the softest throwers in the league. Guys go all out for 6 or 7 innings, light up the gun, and blow out their arms. 88-91 mph will do just fine if you have good movement, control, and secondary pitches. Maybe you won't get as many strikeouts (but with the way guys today swing, who knows?) but a pop up or ground out is still an out just the same. We have a model for how to pitch 300 innings a year without major arm injuries. For some reason it's been discarded and all the modern techniques aren't slowing down the rate of injuries to pitchers.