Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Makes you wonder why pitchers of today don't have 20 + year careers considering they're throwing far fewer innings than the pitchers from the 60's, 70's and 80's.
    No pitcher in MLB had 200 innings last year. Seattle's Iwakuma had 198 and led baseball. By contrast, Gibson averaged 262 over 17 years.

Speaking of Seattle, Felix has averaged 228 IP over his 13 years but the end is in sight for him. He's only 31 but he started young and he's beginning to show the signs. Fastball is not there any more, makes his changeup more hittable. He was injured a lot last year and left last night's start with a 'dead arm' and a shoulder injury. He may be done.

Surely done: Any hope for the Mariners, season is already over. They lost last night 19-9 and are now 8-13, 6 1/2 back. It's not even May and they're done.

Insider
    The Rangers' bullpen has been horrible so far, the main reason they're 9-12 this year...Astros are doing good though.

Blog Entries
    Two players who started the season on the Indianapolis Indians roster, Gift Ngoepe and Dovydas Neverauskas, just became the first African and first Lithuanian to play in the majors after being called up to the Pirates.

Ngoepe got a hit on his first AB against the Cubs.

Tonight's Reds at Cardinals game will be streamed on Twitter*. Assuming it is not rained out. It has been pouring here all day.

*Local blackout rules apply.
    Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    No pitcher in MLB had 200 innings last year. Seattle's Iwakuma had 198 and led baseball. By contrast, Gibson averaged 262 over 17 years.
    1980 Oakland A's rotation:

Rick Langford 290.0
    Mike Norris 284.1
    Matt Keough 250.0
    Steve McCatty 221.2
    Brian Kingman 211.1

93 complete games between them...

Blog Entries
    Anthony Rendon of the Nats got 10 RBI today on six hits, including 3 HRs, in a 23-5 win over the Mets.

MLB.com has aptly called this feat Rendonculous in a headline.

Blog Entries
    Adam Jones of the Orioles says he is subjected to racist taunts when he plays in Boston.

Erik Boland‏: C.C. Sabathia said it's talked about among black major leaguers: "we know. There's 62 of us. We all know. When you go to Boston, expect it."

Obviously, racist taunts are awful and sad ... but I'm a bit surprised there are only 62 black players in baseball.

Blog Entries
    ...but I'm a bit surprised there are only 62 black players in baseball.
    MLB has been trying to boost African-American participation in baseball for maybe a decade. I'm not sure if "black" also includes Cubans, Dominicans, etc of African heritage.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    It does not. Black means African-American.

Obviously, racist taunts are awful and sad ... but I'm a bit surprised there are only 62 black players in baseball.
    If you're an American born MLB player, chances are better than good that you're from an affluent suburb that has a traveling team which showcases players for scouts and college recruiters. Keep in mind colleges only get 12 scholarships, so that means most guys have to find a way to pay for school. On top of that, rather than baseball scouts going to high schools throughout the nation like they used to, now players have to travel at their own expense to showcases. All of this adds up to potential players without the economic means to be showcased will not be seen by scouts. If you're that good of an athlete but do not have the economic means and recruiters for basketball and football programs are knocking down your door it's easy to see why so many athletes choose those sports.

MLB is working rectify this, but it'll take time.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

One take *Warning HBO level language involved

Blog Entries
    Meanwhile, in the home city of the 2015 World Champions, things appear to not be going quite so well:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...149080414.html

The moment David Glass told the KC Star a few months back that he was trying to "preserve the nucleus" of the team to keep people coming to the games, I knew we were screwed...

Blog Entries
    It's a good thing the Cubs scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth last night, only to extend the game by another nine innings.

Not only did the Cubs lose in 18 to drop behind the first-place Reds (!), but the extended game caused the Yankees to blow up their bullpen the night before they have to travel to play the hottest-hitting team in the league right now -- your Cincinnati Reds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    It's a good thing the Cubs scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth last night, only to extend the game by another nine innings.

Not only did the Cubs lose in 18 to drop behind the first-place Reds (!), but the extended game caused the Yankees to blow up their bullpen the night before they have to travel to play the hottest-hitting team in the league right now -- your Cincinnati Reds.

Not only that, Scott Feldman pitched a complete game giving the Reds pen a rare day of rest. Now for the Yanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grogg View Post
    Not only that, Scott Feldman pitched a complete game giving the Reds pen a rare day of rest. Now for the Yanks.
    The day before, Garrett went six and Stephenson did the rest (thanks to a massive lead).

The day before that, only Wood and Brice pitched out of the bullpen (thanks to another massive lead).

That's only three relief pitchers getting game action in the last three days, and Stephenson is probably the only one who can't go tonight. So the bullpen -- perhaps the biggest bright spot on the entire team -- is well rested. Which could be a godsend with Rookie Davis starting tonight.

Blog Entries
    Coors Field yesterday -- and it is NOT snow.

Cubs @ Rockies postponed, will play a double header today.

Blog Entries
    Wow, this guy spent a lot of time revealing a shocking new trend: East Coast Bias in sports media...

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-pre...f-mlb-network/

LOL, just like the rest of the news media. What a shock. Look at ESPN.

Blog Entries
    Who's the genius who put the Cubs in blue jerseys against the Rockies in purple jerseys?

Blog Entries

Speaking of Seattle, Felix has averaged 228 IP over his 13 years but the end is in sight for him. He's only 31 but he started young and he's beginning to show the signs. Fastball is not there any more, makes his changeup more hittable. He was injured a lot last year and left last night's start with a 'dead arm' and a shoulder injury. He may be done.

Surely done: Any hope for the Mariners, season is already over. They lost last night 19-9 and are now 8-13, 6 1/2 back. It's not even May and they're done.
    I spoke too soon. The Mariners won again today and are scoring tons of runs, second only to the Yankees in the AL. Despite having their top 4 starters out with injuries and a lousy bullpen, Seattle has battled back to .500 at 17-17. Hope springs eternal ..

Blog Entries
    Pitcher Pierce Johnson just made his big-league debut with the Cubs today.

I gotta say, his name sounds painful...
    I'm starting to understand why so many women feel negatively toward males. I had always assumed that the predators made up a small fraction of male-kind, but I may have been wrong. When you impose yourself on an unwilling target, you do great harm to both sexes. Time to grow up, boys.

Blog Entries

I think the the accepted term is "Prince Albert."

Blog Entries
    Well he just gave up a two run double. Limp may be his new name.

Lol i never really paid attention to it that way and i watched the game.

Blog Entries
    It's not often that a review completely changes the outcome of a game.

Last night, the Reds were trailing 3-2 in the ninth in Cleveland when Billy Hamilton (the fastest man in baseball) hit into a double-play. I turned the TV off immediately.

What I didn't know was that the Reds challenged the out at first and got it overturned. Zack Cozart then hit a single to left field to score two runs. They held off the Indians in the bottom of the ninth.

BTW, Hamilton (did I mention he was fast?) scored standing up from FIRST BASE on Cozart's single. Sure, he was running on the pitch, and the left-fielder didn't field the ball cleanly, but no other runner could have scored that easily from first on a single.

Start at 0:34.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that video also states that the Indians were 102-1 when entering the ninth with a lead since the start of 2016.

Blog Entries
    The Yankees' ticket and suite revenues dropped by 42 percent from the first season in their new ballpark (2009) through last season.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/s...cial.html?_r=0

Average attendance dropped 17.6% in the same period, and in 2017 it's down another 8% year-over-year despite their lead in the AL East. Granted, attendance tends to lag before summer.

Dad was definitely in the wrong, since the ball was in play and he interfered, but yanking the ball away from the kid??

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by AGRiculture View Post
    The Rangers' bullpen has been horrible so far, the main reason they're 9-12 this year...Astros are doing good though.
    Here it is a month later, and the bullpen is still a disaster. The offense has picked up, and their record has improved though.

Insider
    I had the opportunity to watch another Rangers game, yeesh. They were up 10-5 against the Mets going into the top of the 9th. After five pitches and giving up a single and two home runs, it was 10-8. The next batter hit a single and stole second, then the following batter was walked. The pitcher then got a strikeout and a double play to eke out the win.
    Gonna be a long season...