Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB thread

Blog Entries
    Doesn't matter. It's the Astros' world, and everybody else is just livin' in it...
    If you agree with ISIS and really think God/Nature sends hurricanes as punishment, please explain why he is so angry at Barbuda...

Blog Entries
    It was Black Friday in St Louis. Coaches fired or transferred. Matheny put on notice in so many words. You can't win when the team keeps making stupid base running and fielding mistakes. That usually falls on the coaching staff and ultimately the manager. We'll see what happens from here.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...ampaign=LEEDCC

Blog Entries
    It's a little surprising that Cubs/Pirates would be going to so much of the country. That's two sub-.500 teams right there.

Now, I think the Red Sox are one of the teams that get way too much exposure (along with the Yankees and a couple others), but why wouldn't the second-place Red Sox and the MLB-dominating Astros be the primary game? Some of the choices seem to fall along AL/NL market lines -- but not all (DET, MIN, CLE, SEA, etc.).

Coverage map for the June 17 FOX primetime game
    CHI-PIT
    BOS-HOU
    KC-LAA

Last edited by Ren Butler; 06-15-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Orioles finally get a win last night; thanks to a Castillo grand slam. Maybe they can back to their winning ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    It's a little surprising that Cubs/Pirates would be going to so much of the country. That's two sub-.500 teams right there.

Now, I think the Red Sox are one of the teams that get way too much exposure (along with the Yankees and a couple others), but why wouldn't the second-place Red Sox and the MLB-dominating Astros be the primary game? Some of the choices seem to fall along AL/NL market lines -- but not all (DET, MIN, CLE, SEA, etc.).

CHI-PIT
    BOS-HOU
    KC-LAA

This might be a dumb question, but what is this map trying to say? That certain visiting teams get more exposure? Or is it referring to how much they travel versus other teams?
    Pittsburgh Penguins, Baltimore Orioles, McLaren-Honda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spyro View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but what is this map trying to say? That certain visiting teams get more exposure? Or is it referring to how much they travel versus other teams?
    Sorry, it's a coverage map for the FOX primetime broadcast on Saturday.

I assumed everybody was familiar with these, because they get wide usage during NFL season. But I understand now that it might be foreign to an MLB fan. I've clarified my earlier post.

Sorry, it's a coverage map for the FOX primetime broadcast on Saturday.

I assumed everybody was familiar with these, because they get wide usage during NFL season. But I understand now that it might be foreign to an MLB fan. I've clarified my earlier post.
    No worries; nice to learn something new.

Insider
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...eball-20-years
    Some interesting ideas, but I'm not big on contraction or ending the AL and NL. If Tampa Bay and Oakland can't make a go of it, there's other cities/regions that can give MLB a try, or retry in the case of Montréal.

Blog Entries
    Nolan Arenado hit for the 17th cycle in Coors Field history.

This ties for the most cycles in a single stadium. It's tied with Fenway Park -- which had an 80-year head start.

The moment you wait for your entire life.

Your first major league game, first time ever out on the field, YOUR FIRST PLAY, and this

You didn't even get to bat,

he 22-year-old outfielder is out for the season after suffering an open rupture of the patellar tendon in his right knee, the result of banging the knee into the ballpark’s lower right field wall (and, according to manager Joe Girardi, an unpadded metal box that abuts the wall) from chasing Jose Abreu’s foul ball in the bottom of the first. He immediately underwent surgery at Rush University Medical Center as the Yankees proceeded to lose, 4-3.

Blog Entries
    Torn patellar tendon is a 12-15 month rehab, sometimes longer. Giants WR Victor Cruz missed 2 years and is not the same and this injury essentially ended the career of RB Cadillac Williams and several others. Seattle TE Jimmy Graham came back after 10 months but did not round into shape until much later in the year and he was clearly the exception.

Blog Entries
    Does he have any interest in practicing medicine?

Apparently, there are some similarities between Fowler and Moonlight Graham...

Blog Entries
    Robinson Cano hit 2 home runs tonight. Angels catcher not thrilled.

Insider
    It's a broken record in Arlington... good offense, decent starting pitching, sucky bullpen. They had a 7-3 lead against the ChiSox last night, the bullpen gave up 5 runs late. Oh well, time to concentrate on the Astros, and keep an eye on the 3000 hit watch for Beltre.

Blog Entries
    Did anybody see that last called third strike on the Nats in St. Louis?

Blog Entries
    That's why they extended Molina's contract.

Blog Entries
    An ump who can be fooled that badly, especially in a key situation, needs to be sent to the minors for some refresher courses.

Blog Entries
    You know when things are getting overly complicated when...

In another transaction announced this morning, the Reds acquired first baseman Nick Longhi – the number nine prospect in the Red Sox farm system – for an undisclosed amount of international amateur signing bonus pool space.

Blog Entries
    The National League's 9th-ranked catcher (measured by WAR) was named* the backup for the All-Star Game.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

*Fans vote for starters, but the team manager decided that he deserved it. Based on past reputation, I guess? The stats and performance this year simply aren't there.

Blog Entries
    The two co-leaders of the AL batting race:

Blog Entries
    That's awesome.

I love Altuve. I wish he were in the NL so I could see more of him.

Blog Entries
    Montiero to Toronto.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...uel/447719001/

Ripping one of his pitchers might have put Miguel Montero on the outs with the Chicago Cubs, but his ability to hit has earned him another job.

The Toronto Blue Jays announced Monday they have agreed to a deal with the Cubs for Montero and cash in exchange for a player to be named later.

The Blue Jays have struggled to get production from the catcher position, with four guys hitting a combined .168 with nine homers and 22 RBI. Russell Martin has been the best of the bunch, hitting .213 with seven homers and 16 RBI.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

You know when things are getting overly complicated when...
    This sounds more like a Major League Soccer transaction than a Major League Baseball one.
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Hope their pitchers meet with his approval. Manager too.

Blog Entries
    From Joe Sheehan: The last team to win the World Series after waking up July 4 below .500 was the 1964 Cardinals, who were 38-39 53 yrs ago

Of course, the addition of Wild Cards have changed the picture since then. Hope spring eternal ...

And if memory serves me correctly, discussions began among certain parties involving a job change for Cards manager Johnny Keane at about this time.

Blog Entries
    11:00 pm local time:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    From Joe Sheehan: The last team to win the World Series after waking up July 4 below .500 was the 1964 Cardinals, who were 38-39 53 yrs ago

Of course, the addition of Wild Cards have changed the picture since then. Hope spring eternal ...
    The Cardinals were helped with one of the most lopsided trades in MLB history when they traded past 18 game winner Ernie Broglio to the Cubbies for Lou Brock in June of '64. Broglio did nothing for the Cubs and was out of the game within just a few years. Brock ignited the 2nd half Redbird run for the pennant hitting .348 the rest of the season, along with the Phillies meltdown. He's in the record books along with the HoF.

Blog Entries
    Meanwhile, at the Home of the 2015 World Series Champions...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb...159842439.html

Long story short, just when it looked like we were positioning ourselves for a fire sale, we woke up and started playing the game again. Leading to one of the most interesting, if not bizarre, story lines I've seen for this team in years...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    11:00 pm local time:

Midnight Sun Game?

Blog Entries
    The All-Star game is "meaningless" again, as the winning league no longer hosts the World Series.

I don't mind a sideline reporter interviewing players in the batter's circle.

But right now an outfielder is miked and being interviewed by the guys in the booth during an at-bat.