Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB thread

Insider

2017 MLB thread

It should be a good year for the Rangers and Astros. Houston finally got rid of the silly Tal's Hill in center field.
    It hurts the Beltre will start the season on the DL, he's the heart and soul of the Rangers.

I'm watch the Rays-Yankees right now. It's a good crowd by Florida standards, sucky by Opening Day standards everywhere else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AGRiculture View Post
    I'm watch the Rays-Yankees right now. It's a good crowd by Florida standards, sucky by Opening Day standards everywhere else.
    It actually appears to be a sellout. The upper rows are not available for sale because they are obstructed by the catwalks. That's why everybody is packed into the lower rows but nobody has spread out higher than that. The upper rows were opened for the playoffs a few years back but aren't normally sold.

Official capacity was 31,042 the last few years (don't know if it has changed for this year), smallest in the league, so the announced attendance will tell the tale of whether it was a sellout.
    VALID OPINION CENSORED -- TAKE BACK YOUR BOARD!

Madison Bumgarner two HRs on opening day so far, one AB left maybe

Tampa looked good on this Opening Day. Hard to believe the Yanks haven't won on opening day in a few years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Official capacity was 31,042 the last few years...
    And that's exactly what they announced for attendance today.

Warmed up and put my WS Champions license plate frame on the car. Took down the W flag, which has been flying since Nov. 2nd and started to transform painting the man cave over to Marquee Red and Cubbie blue colors.

Blog Entries
    Cards win opener against the WS champs.

Not sure if opening day was a bigger story in town compared to whether Molina gets resigned. Club gets it done signing him through 2020. Looks like Yadi will retire as a career long Cardinal. That is a rarity in Baseball anymore.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the Cubs lost. They're officially out of the playoff hunt.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Trending downward.

In baseball, it's not how you start it's how you finish. One game does not make a season, except maybe for StL fans. Stands were empty when the Cubs battled back in the 9th.

That have not one a game all year.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Going to the Reds home opener this afternoon. This will be my first time at opening day. More than likely we will get rained on--a lot. I don't care.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
    Going to the Reds home opener this afternoon. This will be my first time at opening day. More than likely we will get rained on--a lot. I don't care.
    Holy crap, really? Never done it myself.

Rain forecast is actually improving a bit. There could be some showers, but the game might be okay to play to completion as long as it doesn't drag on past 7:00.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Cards win opener against the WS champs.

Not sure if opening day was a bigger story in town compared to whether Molina gets resigned. Club gets it done signing him through 2020. Looks like Yadi will retire as a career long Cardinal. That is a rarity in Baseball anymore.
    He still hits for average, but he has virtually no power anymore. He might be worth keeping for a decent monetary value, but his defensive production has also tanked in recent years (despite his reputation). The deal is getting panned outside St. Louis, and the only defenders are saying that it's either a "legacy contract," they're paying him for "intangibles," or they're paying him in arrears for past production.

As a fan of a Cardinals rival, I'm very happy he is being overpaid for three more years!

(Aside from the last sentence, this is entirely based on objective analysis.)

Blog Entries
    He still hits for average, but he has virtually no power anymore. He might be worth keeping for a decent monetary value, but his defensive production has also tanked in recent years (despite his reputation). The deal is getting panned outside St. Louis, and the only defenders are saying that it's either a "legacy contract," they're paying him for "intangibles," or they're paying him in arrears for past production.

As a fan of a Cardinals rival, I'm very happy he is being overpaid for three more years!

(Aside from the last sentence, this is entirely based on objective analysis.)
    4 more years.

What the "experts" are failing to acknowledge is the experience he brings behind the plate and his knowledge of the hitters within the league when it comes to pitch calling. That's a key component in what he brings to the table when you consider the Cardinals have a penchant for bringing in young pitchers out of their farm system into the big leagues vs. going the free agent market. His abilities for mentoring the young pitchers is invaluable.

Yes, there's an awful lot of intangibles in that contract. He's the most popular Cardinal and has been for many years including when Pujols was with the club. The difference between he and Pujols was in what he asked vs. Albert. Albert's contract was way too long and for way too much money. So much money that it would've crippled the clubs ability to pay other younger players more as they advanced or making it impossible to go the free agent route if they needed to. As it turns out, the Cardinals were right. Pujols is but a shadow of his former self playing for the Angels.

I think if the club would've just let him go there would've been some repercussions among the fan base. Thankfully he wasn't asking for the sun, the moon and the stars. I have no doubt he'll likely wind up with an offer for a position in the organization when he retires if he wants it.

Holy crap, really? Never done it myself.

Rain forecast is actually improving a bit. There could be some showers, but the game might be okay to play to completion as long as it doesn't drag on past 7:00.
    We had a few innings of light rain but I invested in a $10 Walmart poncho the day before. It was red. The Reds made it interesting at the end (that's what she said) but fell short. I was just glad to be there for my first opening day. It was nice to see the place full.

Blog Entries
    We had a few innings of light rain but I invested in a $10 Walmart poncho the day before.
    Invested? What, did you re-sell it for MORE than $10.

I was just glad to be there for my first opening day.
    I'd like to be there some day myself. I always sign up for the lottery to buy tickets at face value, but I never win (unlike the chance to buy playoff tickets, which as you know I have won at least once).

Was is as festive as they always say it is? Did you see any of the pre-game stuff like the parade, etc?

It was nice to see the place full.
    twss

You should check out the Gametime app on your phone. Great way to get tickets for games at good prices--often lower than face value.

I thought Cleveland was doing away with Chief Wahoo after last season's playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    I thought Cleveland was doing away with Chief Wahoo after last season's playoffs?

They made a change in the uniform combinations that will lead to less home games with a Wahoo cap.

I am not happy, but at least there is still Wahoo, including on the sleeve of the jersey every game.

Viva Wahoo!!
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Blog Entries
    That have not one a game all year.
    They're at 5-hunnert and back in it.

Blog Entries
    Only three days into their season, the White Sox were just postponed for the second time.

Only three days into their season, the White Sox were just postponed for the second time.
    At this rate, they'll probably have a series moved to Miller Park.

Blog Entries
    Cubs@Cards also postponed, but they both have an off day Thursday for the makeup.

And the forecast for Phils@Reds tonight is not pretty.

Gotta love baseball in April...

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    NASTY collision in the outfield between the Cubs' Baez and Heyward. Baez tried to stay in the game but was encouraged to leave, which he did under his own power.

Check out the replay if you get a chance.

Blog Entries
    NASTY collision in the outfield between the Cubs' Baez and Heyward. Baez tried to stay in the game but was encouraged to leave, which he did under his own power.

Check out the replay if you get a chance.
    Nah, I watched it live.

Insider
    After getting swept by Cleveland, the Ranger take the opener from Oakland to get off the schneid.

It's the Cardinal Way.....

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    It's the Cardinal Way.....
    The New England Patriots of MLB.

Got tickets to Cubs @ Reds in a few weeks.