Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The airline horror thread

And the latest totally tone deaf airline action:

The Rebel Media is a Canadian Jewish website, primarially covering Canadian politics, with branches in the USA, Australia and the UK. It is certainly conservative/libertarian, but by no mean extremist or out-of-bounds, probably something to the left of Fox News, with a bit of MTV and the VICE Channel tossed in. (IMHO, it is one the most funny yet thoughtful websites out there and every female presenter they have is hotter than the previous one.)

Porter Airlines is a small discount airline that flys prop planes out of Toronto to (mostly) US vacation spots.

Seems the owner of The Rebel, Ezra Levant, flew Porter booking using his work e-mail (which uses @therebel.media)and was informed that his e-mail was on Porter's "blacklist". Porter won't say if it because Levant is conservative, Jewish, or his website is pro-Israeli.

Guy does the right thing and the airline still goes out of its way to be d-bags...

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barsto...her-seat-away/

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Guy does the right thing and the airline still goes out of its way to be d-bags...

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barsto...her-seat-away/
    Sheesh. D-Bags is right.
    Eff LBD!

I have been flying many years, and the ONLY complaints I have were related to the passengers and not the crew.
    “I love the way you soften my life with your love" - Carl Wilson

United (it's often them) forced a woman, who had purchased a seat for her 27 month old son, have him sit on her lap after selling the kids seat to someone on standby.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/united-g...ight-1.3493067

Apparently it was a computer glitch with the boarding scanner and United have refunded the cost of the kids ticket but it's still not a great situation

Looks like UA hasn't changed a thing.
    Trying to spell hors d'oeuvres
    Gets upon my hors n'oeuvres

Quote Originally Posted by Oddy View Post
    I have been flying many years, and the ONLY complaints I have were related to the passengers and not the crew.
    Me too,

Blog Entries
    Courtesy Michael Beschloss, this was dining aboard a PanAm Clipper:

Quote Originally Posted by senorsoupe View Post
    United (it's often them) forced a woman, who had purchased a seat for her 27 month old son, have him sit on her lap after selling the kids seat to someone on standby.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/united-g...ight-1.3493067

Apparently it was a computer glitch with the boarding scanner and United have refunded the cost of the kids ticket but it's still not a great situation
    It is not even legal to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    It is not even legal to do that.
    Yah, the woman had done the right thing by purchasing a ticket for her toddler who is over 2 years old.

Oh United, I would say don't ever change for our amusement but please, please change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Courtesy Michael Beschloss, this was dining aboard a PanAm Clipper:
    And this was the lounge on board Continental's 747's

And that was normal across airlines
    https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/the-g...rom-the-1970s/

And this was the lounge on board Continental's 747's

And that was normal across airlines
    https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/the-g...rom-the-1970s/
    You were also paying much more money back then. A ticket in 1970 cost more then a ticket in 2013 without adjusting for inflation, adjusted for inflation an economy ticket costs what a business class ticket does now.

You were also paying much more money back then. A ticket in 1970 cost more then a ticket in 2013 without adjusting for inflation, adjusted for inflation an economy ticket costs what a business class ticket does now.
    Yes, that is the inconvenient truth when comparing air travel in the 70's to air travel now. We want cheap fares, we will get a cheap ride, you get what you pay for.

Its the Walmart world we live in. Just give me the cheapest.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

You shouldn't have to pay for basic ethics and decency though.

Quote Originally Posted by StatMan View Post
    Yes, that is true. If your seat is small and the food is crap then you get what you pay for, but staff should at least treat people with respect.

Blog Entries
    Yes, that is true. If your seat is small and the food is crap then you get what you pay for, but staff should at least treat people with respect.
    Yes. Cryin' out loud, even (most) Greyhound drivers treat passengers with respect...

Blog Entries

One flight attendant and a passenger were taken to a hospital after suffering severe facial injuries, authorities said. Perry Cooper, a spokesman for the Port of Seattle, described the injuries as non-life-threatening.

A probable cause statement written by FBI special agent Caryn Highley said Hudek was sitting in the first row of the Boeing 767's first-class section. He asked a flight attendant for a beer before takeoff, and was served one, but he exhibited no sign of being intoxicated and ordered no other alcoholic drinks, the attendant told authorities.

About an hour into the flight, while the plane was over the Pacific Ocean northwest of Vancouver Island, Hudek went into the forward restroom. He came out quickly, asked the attendant a question, and went back in, the agent wrote.

When he came out again two minutes later, he suddenly lunged for the exit door, grabbed the handle and tried to open it, Highley wrote. Two attendants grabbed him, but he pushed them away, and the attendants signaled for help from several passengers and notified the cockpit by telephone, the complaint said.

Hudek punched one flight attendant twice in the face and struck at least one passenger in the head with a red dessert wine bottle, it said.

As the struggle continued, a flight attendant grabbed two wine bottles and hit Hudek over the head with each -- breaking at least one of them, Highley wrote.

According to one flight attendant, "Hudek did not seem impacted by the breaking of a full liter red wine bottle over his head, and instead shouted, 'Do you know who I am?' or something to that extent," the complaint said.

One passenger got him in a head-lock, but he broke out of it, until finally several passengers held him long enough to place zip-tie restraints on him, Highley wrote. Even then he remained combative, she said, and it took multiple passengers to keep him restrained until the plane landed and Port of Seattle police arrested him.

Hudek had been traveling on a "dependent pass," the complaint said. Such passes allow certain relatives of Delta employees to fly standby.
    https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ging-exit-door

Insider
    Yes, that is the inconvenient truth when comparing air travel in the 70's to air travel now. We want cheap fares, we will get a cheap ride, you get what you pay for.
    There's a pretty big range between the pricing/services of the 70s and the pricing/services of today.

Reminds me of a story from a few years ago when some BlackBerry executives (back when it was still a profitable company) got on an Air Canada flight (in Business class) in Toronto for an uber important meeting in Asia. The pair proceeded to get loaded and belligerant by Vancouver that they had to be restrained. They were arrested in Vancouver and were canned immediately.

Edit: found the article, incident was in 2011. Both were actually Scottish, one ended up being deported back to the UK, the other couldn't be. They were also sued by Air Canada

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle9988338/

Emirates First Class Bathroom

Bed suite on Singapore Airlines

Blog Entries
    What, no bidet?
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Quote Originally Posted by StatMan View Post
    When you do not treat your employees without either of those you can not expect them to do so to the customers. In most of the airline industry employees are a "expenses" not assets.

This is the point. Prior to deregulation in 1979, flying, unless you were in the military or something like that, was an activity for the "1%ers". They expected and received that sort of service, and, for that matter still do. The number of people who had ever flown was tiny, and the number of people who had flown more than five times was microscopic before 1979.

Meanwhile in Australia, where checked baggage fees aren't applied by all carriers on domestic flights

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923

Apparently conservative commentator and Delta have decided to get into a Twitter p***ing match.

http://https://www.washingtonpost.co...ng-on-twitter/

Apparently Ms. Coulter was tossed out of the extra leg room exit row seat, for which DL charges $30/extra.

Every plane I have ever been on the exit rows are in coach. Ann Coulter, the author of nearly a dozen bestsellers, flies COACH?

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Apparently conservative commentator and Delta have decided to get into a Twitter p***ing match.

Apparently Ms. Coulter was tossed out of the extra leg room exit row seat, for which DL charges $30/extra.

Every plane I have ever been on the exit rows are in coach. Ann Coulter, the author of nearly a dozen bestsellers, flies COACH?
    Apparently they just moved her to a different seat in the same row and she was fine with in while on the plane but only decided to throw her twitter hissy fit once on the ground.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post

Makes her fiscally conservative.

Blog Entries
    Apparently they just moved her to a different seat in the same row and she was fine with in while on the plane but only decided to throw her twitter hissy fit once on the ground.
    Not quite. They moved her out of the exit row aisle seat to another seat, then moved her to an exit window.

Not that big a deal ... but they had charged her for the seat and assigned it to her and listed in on her boarding pass and then they moved her without any reason. I'd be PO'd, too.

Yep.