Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: IndyCar falls short in bid to lure third engine manufacturer

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Not really a big deal.. Adding Chevy in 2012 did nothing for the sports in reality.. Engines and Chassis do not sell tickets IMO

NASCAR in the CoT era would disagree.
    Just wait 'till next year!

Stop spec racing & they will come! It's up to the Indycar Brass

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    The Lambo story is bizarre.
    They sell 700 cars a year in the US, and outside NA, the whole Indycar thing is invisible.
    Now if you said it was their corporate parent (Audi / VW Group: 940,000 NA sales in 2016) then it might make some sense.
    Agree, would be easier for them to put an engine in a DPi or get a GTE car. IndyCar v6 makes no sense. Tho... Aston is making big engines and had the AMR One with 6 cyl, yeah yeah the car was a joke but it happened.
    Religion can't save. Jesus can because He loves you!

The sooner they get their TV stuff ironed out the better chance they'll have of finishing these deals.
    15 Rahal 5 Hinch 2 Newgarden 17 Daly

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    Yeah they were oh so close, Miles had a contract agreement in one hand, a pen in the other and he was standing outside the corporate offices of some auto manufacturer banging on the door but nobody came to the door, Oh so close.

Again having a single specification for an engine, piling on all the requirements Indycar has and expecting any other manufacturer to want to sign on to the low rated, low actual attendance, with the extra long off season when there is zero promotion, poorly covered by the media series is unrealistic. The best hope for making a splash is seriously altering not just the engine spec rules and not requiring leasing but the requirements Indycar imposes on manufacturers.
    This hits the nail on the head. Who would sign up for this single spec when the two incumbents have such a headstart and the rules are restrictive to the point of absurdity? The answer = Nobody.
    Counting down to my 31st Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Stop spec racing & they will come! It's up to the Indycar Brass
    The Indycar brass are wholly incapable of ever getting this past the point where it is currently at. They have proven that time and again thru multiple regimes. Aerokits then no aerokits. In 2018 the cars will be even more spec. Overseas races on the horizon but the horizon keeps moving away. What has Mark Miles really done but talk a lot??

Quote Originally Posted by lddk24fan View Post
    The sooner they get their TV stuff ironed out the better chance they'll have of finishing these deals.
    Agree. A new long term TV deal will help but the ratings are deplorable and show no signs of improving. There is two decades of ratings data out there that would indicate its not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    Volvo is a pretty small US presence these days (80,000 units / year). That Indycar budget is a pretty big numerator with a denominator that small.
    Geely is attempting to reinvent the brand worldwide and they have deep pockets.

I'm shocked LAM were in the mix. Anyway, back to the drawing board.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Blog Entries
    no one has suggested dodge,
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

Quote Originally Posted by lddk24fan View Post
    You assume the next TV deal will be better than the current. It may be.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    no one has suggested dodge,
    Having left Nascar and NHRA, where there's at least a semblance of body similarity, it's difficult to see them instead going to Indycar. If there was any interest from FCA, I think it would be something like Alfa.
    You used to need 750hp to win the Indy 500, now you get that much in a Corvette and you get a factory warranty....Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    The Indycar brass are wholly incapable of ever getting this past the point where it is currently at. They have proven that time and again thru multiple regimes. Aerokits then no aerokits. In 2018 the cars will be even more spec. Overseas races on the horizon but the horizon keeps moving away. What has Mark Miles really done but talk a lot??

Another "Talkin Terry"?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, when I die I want to go where they go" Will Rodgers

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Simple incompetence is a far more sinister force in the world than evil intent.

Quote Originally Posted by milliesdad View Post
    Another "Talkin Terry"?
    That's a blast from the past
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    Geely is attempting to reinvent the brand worldwide and they have deep pockets.
    Well a few Chinese drivers in Volvo branded Indycars would certainly add to the international aspect that management is seemingly pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    LMAO

The aero kits died for this!
    Look on the bright side. At least we'll have something to ***** about on the turn 2 mounds during a test date or in Gasoline Alley next May.

Anyone who's been holding their breath for a third manufacturer has turned blue or is dead by now. Business as usual, nothing to see,,,move along.

Blog Entries
    The truth be told
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    Yeah they were oh so close, Miles had a contract agreement in one hand, a pen in the other and he was standing outside the corporate offices of some auto manufacturer banging on the door but nobody came to the door, Oh so close.

Again having a single specification for an engine, piling on all the requirements Indycar has and expecting any other manufacturer to want to sign on to the low rated, low actual attendance, with the extra long off season when there is zero promotion, poorly covered by the media series is unrealistic. The best hope for making a splash is seriously altering not just the engine spec rules and not requiring leasing but the requirements Indycar imposes on manufacturers.

Blog Entries
    How will they get a good TV deal if only one network is bidding.With the rating not looking good I find that a no win situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Agree. A new long term TV deal will help but the ratings are deplorable and show no signs of improving. There is two decades of ratings data out there that would indicate its not going to change.

It is a Gordian knot (try Google). One chassis, dumbass aero, no mods to speak of, lousy tv contract, diminishing ratings/interest, the need to badge an engine. There is probably more but I will stop here. So, who will the Alexander and cut the knot?

Quote Originally Posted by julesgoux2 View Post
    It is a Gordian knot (try Google). One chassis, dumbass aero, no mods to speak of, lousy tv contract, diminishing ratings/interest, the need to badge an engine. There is probably more but I will stop here. So, who will the Alexander and cut the knot?
    I am not sure there is a knot anymore. At some point, maybe Indy just becomes a single race series. I stumbled across the 1997 CART Gateway race on Youtube. There were more people in the stands at that one place (of all places - Gateway) than 3 or 4 current Indycar events combined. It all spun out of control so long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    I am not sure there is a knot anymore. At some point, maybe Indy just becomes a single race series. I stumbled across the 1997 CART Gateway race on Youtube. There were more people in the stands at that one place (of all places - Gateway) than 3 or 4 current Indycar events combined. It all spun out of control so long ago.
    As bad as all of that sounds Hulman & Co. may be perfectly happy with the current situation. Not all that long ago they were apparently losing money to the point that there was a inside the family coup. Now at least things appear to be in the black financially.

I've heard from multiple sources that they are happy with the 500 only having the bare minimum number of entries every year. As you note things could be a lot better. But at least the financial end of the deal seems to be looking up more every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    I am not sure there is a knot anymore. At some point, maybe Indy just becomes a single race series.
    Who is going to race then at Road America and Watkins Glen and Barber and all the other great tracks of America?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
    Who is going to race then at Road America and Watkins Glen and Barber and all the other great tracks of America?
    IMSA, PWC and maybe NASCAR once the current promoter contracts expire in two years and they get rid of some of the second-dates at ovals (if they're smart, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    IMSA, PWC and maybe NASCAR once the current promoter contracts expire in two years and they get rid of some of the second-dates at ovals (if they're smart, that is).
    But those are all kind of slow and heavy.

You know. Indycar needs to think out of the box, with a locally based company.

What about Cummins. Okay yeah they make diesel engines... but we are talking about a company with Hoosier history, Indy based (new downtown offices). Still touts their history with Indycar.
    https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-indy-racing-heritage
    https://www.cummins.com/company/hist...dianapolis-500

Their customer base probably watches a lot of the races.

I wonder if anyone has approached them to badge the Cosworth.. heck they may even be able to help out Cosworth with building them.
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

I'm shocked, stunned, and in utter disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    I'm shocked, stunned, and in utter disbelief.
    How so??? They are running true to form as usual. What benefit would any manufacturer receive from running engines in the ICS??? You are asking them to bring some large coin for very little, if any return. As we move toward a new auto world, I can't see anyone in their right mind engaging in this madness!
    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by turbopanzer View Post
    How so???

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    You know. Indycar needs to think out of the box, with a locally based company.

What about Cummins. Okay yeah they make diesel engines... but we are talking about a company with Hoosier history, Indy based (new downtown offices). Still touts their history with Indycar.
    https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-indy-racing-heritage
    https://www.cummins.com/company/hist...dianapolis-500

Their customer base probably watches a lot of the races.

I wonder if anyone has approached them to badge the Cosworth.. heck they may even be able to help out Cosworth with building them.
    Cummins raced at Indy long ago.
    They might come back again.
    But I bet they would only do it with diesel power.