Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: IndyCar falls short in bid to lure third engine manufacturer

#RossiPosse

IndyCar falls short in bid to lure third engine manufacturer

damn.

Quote Originally Posted by midwestracefan View Post
    Not really a change in the situation. It does get really tiring to hear how "close" we are and how they're constantly in "conversations." I'll believe it when I see it.

I wonder if the Detroit TV ratings were the point that was brought up before the deal fell through.

Good. Now open up the rulebook to outside non manufacturer contracted engines that aren't being leased and see how many cars and drivers show up for the 500 each year.

Even if you don't do it for the entire circuit as least change the rules for the 500 once a year. This last May all of the under the table deals that went on to get 33 cars was pretty much getting out of hand. And the Speedway has already started making deals for 2018 by apparently guaranteeing Stefan Wilson a starting spot in next year's 500.

When does the madness stop?

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post
    Good. Now open up the rulebook to outside non manufacturer contracted engines that aren't being leased and see how many cars and drivers show up for the 500 each year.

Even if you don't do it for the entire circuit as least change the rules for the 500 once a year. This last May all of the under the table deals that went on to get 33 cars was pretty much getting out of hand. And the Speedway has already started making deals for 2018 by apparently guaranteeing Stefan Wilson a starting spot in next year's 500.

Amen!! A thousand Amens!! I'll believe it when I see it. Wonder who the manufacturer they were that close to was??
    Counting down to my 32nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post

If you change the rules for Indy only GM and Honda will still likely walk. The series needs their money

Domed.
    "I hit him so hard, he fell off the internet" - PennyArcade

Insider
    Unless this is another manufacturer, didn't we already hear this news before Indy. Lamborghini was the rumored OEM that dropped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post
    Unless this is another manufacturer, didn't we already hear this news before Indy. Lamborghini was the rumored OEM that dropped out.
    Last rumor I heard or read was Geely

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    Last rumor I heard or read was Geely
    https://twitter.com/a_s12/status/852...617793?lang=en

This was from April:
    Miles: "We got close with Lamborghini and we will keep talking with anyone who will talk with us; sooner or later we’ll find our third OEM."

Blog Entries
    One of the main reasons we wanted to move away from the aero-kit competition is to introduce a third and maybe a fourth auto brand,” IndyCar director, aerodynamic development Tino Belli told Autoweek. “Typically, companies that might come in have indicated they did not really want to develop and engine and an aero kit. Current engine manufacturers indicated the costs in developing an aero kit were higher than they expected.

“They (Honda and Chevrolet) both want a third and a fourth engine manufacturer to come in, as well. Our hopes are high that we will attract a third manufacturer, and it could be a fourth if things go well.”

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/...#ixzz4jXgXfh6h
    Be honest and ask yourself if you were one of those who thought losing aerokits was worth it if it meant the addition of a new manufacturer?

Loss of the aerokits, no third manufacturer, as Homer would say, "this is going great".

Lamborghini wanted to do a turbo V6?!? Or are we looking at different engine configuration regs for the future here?
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Shocking!!!

And once again, Penske did not hire me to drive an extra car at Indy.

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post
    If that is who it was it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me anyway. I think the company that we are waiting for is Geely.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    And once again, Penske did not hire me to drive an extra car at Indy.
    Is that a goal we have been working toward?

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    LMAO

The aero kits died for this!
    Just wait 'till next year!

darn shame. I do think Miles is working very hard to attract a third mfg.

I do think Kia/Hyundai would be a good candidate as their US market is still growing. But I can see that being a hard sell since there's not a lot of motorsports heritage there.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    LMAO

The aero kits died for this!
    Glad. Love the new look.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

lol

#RossiPosse
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    darn shame. I do think Miles is working very hard to attract a third mfg.

I do think Kia/Hyundai would be a good candidate as their US market is still growing. But I can see that being a hard sell since there's not a lot of motorsports heritage there.
    Hyundai? Honda would not allow it.

Yeah they were oh so close, Miles had a contract agreement in one hand, a pen in the other and he was standing outside the corporate offices of some auto manufacturer banging on the door but nobody came to the door, Oh so close.

Again having a single specification for an engine, piling on all the requirements Indycar has and expecting any other manufacturer to want to sign on to the low rated, low actual attendance, with the extra long off season when there is zero promotion, poorly covered by the media series is unrealistic. The best hope for making a splash is seriously altering not just the engine spec rules and not requiring leasing but the requirements Indycar imposes on manufacturers.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Retired curmudgeon
    The Lambo story is bizarre.
    They sell 700 cars a year in the US, and outside NA, the whole Indycar thing is invisible.
    Now if you said it was their corporate parent (Audi / VW Group: 940,000 NA sales in 2016) then it might make some sense.
    “Kid, you can beat these guys. Find a groove that works for ya, and get that lap back.” Doc Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    They sell 700 cars a year in the US, and outside NA, the whole Indycar thing is invisible.
    Now if you said it was their corporate parent (Audi / VW Group: 940,000 NA sales in 2016) then it might make some sense.
    I find Lamborghini to be odd too...OTOH, There Are More Huracans Than Lamborghinis Built Before 1999 (the 36th year for Lambo). 8K of them in 3 years.

I'll throw an Audi dark horse rumor out there, for no other reason than another story (rumor) about Audi possibility that they might consider F1 if/when engine regs change in 2021. Maybe they thought about IndyCar, then decided to hold off for F1?

Just rumor mongering...don't take it seriously.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    If that is who it was it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me anyway. I think the company that we are waiting for is Geely.
    Volvo is a pretty small US presence these days (80,000 units / year). That Indycar budget is a pretty big numerator with a denominator that small.

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    I agree. But, yeah: Audi. Bring it on! Wouldn't this be much, much, cheaper than contesting LeMans/WEC? Just because they quit that doesn't mean they wouldn't consider IndyCar.

This is unfortunate but not really a disaster as long as Honda and Chevy remain committed.

A 3rd engine manufacturer wouldn't really bring more entries to the 500 qualies; both Chevy and Honda would supply 5-6 less cars.

You can see a bigger problem in the sidepods of last two 500 winners; VICS doesn't attract sponsors. If you can make VICS more attractive to sponsors, it'll attract OEMs like any corporations. Then again, if you got a new OEM (or any major corporation) into the series, their marketing effort would help VICS.
    My blog: FINdyCar | My twitter: @FINdyCar

It all goes back to the fact that not nearly enough people are watching and that the trend (regardless of Indycar mgmt. spin) is still declining.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

Not really a big deal.. Adding Chevy in 2012 did nothing for the sports in reality.. Engines and Chassis do not sell tickets IMO
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010