Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2017

It will still be worth watching but if you miss a stage you can catch up with Lance's podcast following each stage.

Mrs goner asked what he has been up to. I checked. Besides getting ready for his court date with the US Postal service who want a hundred mill he does some podcasting and then started the daily TDF podcast.

Trying to rehab his rep.

Well, that's one way of making the green jersey not so predictable this year.
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post
    Well, that's one way of making the green jersey not so predictable this year.

That's what I was thinking earlier today; 'Well at least they don't have to change the rules or the point system again..."

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    When Stage 5 took off this morning without Sagan reinstated the 2017 Tour de France ended for me.
    I'm pretty new to watching the TDF, but I can understand that sentiment. It seems like Sagan was concerned for Mark from the get-go. I think the penalty was WAY too harsh.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2017 Indy GP photo gallery

Todays stage was boring. Kittel with his 2nd win.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    I'm pretty new to watching the TDF, but I can understand that sentiment. It seems like Sagan was concerned for Mark from the get-go. I think the penalty was WAY too harsh.
    There was no cause for any penalty the elbow in question never came in contact with Cavendish. But it's all politics with the UCI. Cavendish was riding with an established team and within minutes of the finish they protested and asked for the DQ of Sagan. The UCI contrary to their own rules made a judgement without talking to Peter Sagan to get his take or to anyone representing his team which is new and less established in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by adi(os) View Post
    Todays stage was boring. Kittel with his 2nd win.
    The tour got boring long ago. Once the team directors figured out to let a small break stay 3 - 6 minutes out all day and do one chase near the end it got predictable. Smart racing, just less entertaining.
    Back in the day the powerful GC contenders actually chased down breaks or got in them or road off alone.
    The numerous breaks got reeled in all day only to see another take off and need reeled in. But it was exhausting.
    Today the riders are ALL very strong. A GC guy cannot simply ride away from a weaker peloton. Everyone is a full time, all year athlete with special training and diet.
    It does feel almost like a certain racing series, watch for hours while doing other things and then watch closely for an exciting finish.
    But, there is that helicopter with the beautiful landscape shots, the cheering crowds inches from the riders, the team strategies and the fleeting hope those 3 guys out front snooker the peloton and pull off a well deserved win.
    There is nothing like the Tour. It's lovely. A thousand stories.
    It just has changed and modernized like everything else. Bring on the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    The tour got boring long ago. Once the team directors figured out to let a small break stay 3 - 6 minutes out all day and do one chase near the end it got predictable. Smart racing, just less entertaining.
    Back in the day the powerful GC contenders actually chased down breaks or got in them or road off alone.
    The numerous breaks got reeled in all day only to see another take off and need reeled in. But it was exhausting.
    Today the riders are ALL very strong. A GC guy cannot simply ride away from a weaker peloton. Everyone is a full time, all year athlete with special training and diet.
    It does feel almost like a certain racing series, watch for hours while doing other things and then watch closely for an exciting finish.
    But, there is that helicopter with the beautiful landscape shots, the cheering crowds inches from the riders, the team strategies and the fleeting hope those 3 guys out front snooker the peloton and pull off a well deserved win.
    There is nothing like the Tour. It's lovely. A thousand stories.
    It just has changed and modernized like everything else. Bring on the mountains.
    It's a shame more people don't pay attention to the classics. The racing is better and as a general rule the end comes down to the strongest riders going mano-a-mano. Or like Flanders this year, Gilbert taking off a long way out and holding off the other strong men. I'll take the cobbles of Northern France and Flanders any time.

Today was allmost a copy of yesterday, with Kittel to win in a photo finish.

The classics events are definately just that. Great riding events where an individual can perform.
    I hope I did not leave the impression the Tour was not enjoyable, I did agree that yesterday's stage was a snoozer though.
    One of those days when the boys appear to be on a Sunday outing until the end.

There are times the peloton protests a decision or something from the governing body and strolls through a stage or two. It crossed my mind yesterday might have been one of those days.
    How are things unfolding today? Wait, don't spoil it, I'll be watching tonight.

Edit: Oops, too late.

The classics events are definately just that. Great riding events where an individual can perform.
    I hope I did not leave the impression the Tour was not enjoyable, I did agree that yesterday's stage was a snoozer though.

There are times the peloton protests a decision or something from the governing body and strolls through a stage or two. It crossed my mind yesterday might have been one of those days.

It was also brutally hot yesterday so that had a lot to do with the "racing". But overall you're right. Sprint stage, break goes, they get 2-4 minutes. Caught about 15KM out. Everyone hauls a$$ to stay up front until 3KM, the the sprinters do their thing. You can watch a 3 hour stage in about 45 using 3X FF on the DVR.

Too bad the crosswinds today didn't pan out

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by stnkypete View Post
    You can watch a 3 hour stage in about 45 using 3X FF on the DVR.
    Then you miss all the nice scenery. Which I like.

Sorry

No problem, We'll watch but I won't tell mrs goner the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    Then you miss all the nice scenery. Which I like.
    You still see it, it just goes by faster.

Quote Originally Posted by stnkypete View Post
    You still see it, it just goes by faster.
    When I would miss a stage live I would fast forward during my viewing of my recording but slow down for the castles, crashes... And the last 5 kilometers.

Except for this year.

A nice race today. When Calmejane had that big smile approaching the line I noticed I got goosebumps.
    Super ride.

Richie Porte's accident was horrifying! In my rides, I have one area where I sometimes hit 45-50mph... it is nowhere near as tight and challenging as that section they were on. Just before it happened, I was thinking "No way in hell I'd go that fast on a road like that!". I can't imagine the adrenaline rush of terror when you know you're going off the road at that speed.

Yeah, a nasty one.
    It looked like an auto race crash the way he got off on the inside and shot back across collecting Martin.
    Negotiating a downhill run like that takes guts and an ability to blank out the consequences.

I always worried about rolling the tubular tires off the rims and whether I was overheating the glue if I used the brakes to manage speed.

Blog Entries
    That has happened before, happened last year:

Wilco Kelderman (LottoNl-Jumbo) suffered a nasty crash on the descent from the Col de Val Louron d'Azet on stage 8 of the Tour de France, sliding out suddenly in a fast turn when his front tyre came off the rim.

The rider and his teammate George Bennett, who stopped to help Kelderman, were quick to absolve the mechanics of responsibility for the wreck, saying the extreme heat on the stage caused the glue holding the tyre to the rim to fail.

"We're riding on very small climbing wheels," Bennett said. "It looked like Wilco's wheels were so hot that his tube loosened. The glue was totally melted and I burned my hands on it when I grabbed the wheel."

Kelderman agreed with his teammate.

"It was hot today and you have to brake on a lot during the descents," Kelderman said. "The glue on your tyre gets very hot and there's a chance that it gets loose. I'm fed up that it happened to me. Everything went very well until that moment. I didn't lose too much time, but I have a lot of abrasions. This is very annoying."
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...-tubular-glue/

I was also sad to lose Garaint Thomas, he's always a good interview. "Cheers!"

Blog Entries
    Dan Martin, what can you say. Get's taken out the way he did and still only finished the stage 1:15 after the winner. Wow.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

The accidents were very unfortunate, and Martin really got a raw deal being taken down by Porte's crash and losing a bunch of time when he was looking really good (and was probably the best sprinter in the group if he got to the finish with them), but the ride by the leading group to the finish was great racing.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Richie Porte's accident was horrifying! In my rides, I have one area where I sometimes hit 45-50mph... it is nowhere near as tight and challenging as that section they were on. Just before it happened, I was thinking "No way in hell I'd go that fast on a road like that!". I can't imagine the adrenaline rush of terror when you know you're going off the road at that speed.
    It's usually over so fast you don't think, The adrenaline prevents you from realizing the pain you are in. As it wears off you start feeling out things. BMX, skate boards and mountain bikes....I took my fair share of gnarly spills, I have the scar tissue to remember most of them.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Lutskenko of Team Astana, think this photo was from yesterday:

Oh man, that hurts just looking at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post

I've wiped out a jersey before and I've wiped out a pair of riding shorts before... I just never did both at once before.

Oh and this is why we shave our legs. Less painful healing.

Kittel takes another stage. Nice sprint to the finish.
    The peloton cranked it up with a handful of miles to go shredding anyone who could not sustain. Nicely done.

It's not just me.
    Sean Kelly reports on Eurosport about today's stage currently in progress.
    It's boring.
    To which The Guardian reporter replies - boring? It's bloody excruciating.

Another sprint finish expected today.
    Froome sitting safely in the peloton for the day.
    Pyrenees soon on the horizon.

Kicking out Sagan wasn't going to make it more interesting.