Thread: Tour de France 2017

Tour de France 2017

starts next Saturday in Düsseldorf.

21 stages
    3540 km
    22 teams
    198 riders

Insider
    I will be there and the next two days after that until they go into Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    I will be there and the next two days after that until they go into Belgium.
    Enjoy! La caravane publicitaire is fun!

I saw the broadcast of Saturday's stage advertised as Stage 1. Did they dispense with the Prologue for this year?
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Blog Entries
    Starts in Germany, goes through Belgium...What is this, 1940?
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by adi(os) View Post
    Enjoy! La caravane publicitaire is fun!
    Yes it is! The Tour is one of the best events I've been to anywhere. Saw a finish and start in 2004 and both were fantastic, though the finish was better (and it wasn't a mountain stage which would no doubt be even more fun).
    Eff LBD!

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Starts in Germany, goes through Belgium...What is this, 1940?

Insider
    Be interesting to see how the poop doping works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcheap View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcheap View Post
    I read about this, and I think this is seriously bad science. Apparently the gut bacteria associated with high performance in endurance events is also highly associated with a high-carb diet. So, it seems like if you are an endurance athlete, you will have a high carb diet and will have the allegedly desirable gut bacteria and it may well be that the bacteria doesn't cause high performance, but is the natural result of the diet high performing endurance athletes are on anyway.

Blog Entries
    It's as easy at get, go, gone!

Man I can't wait for them to get to France. They're riding through Belgium trying to get my serenity fix and there they go... Riding past the golden arches. Not a 14th century castle but a Mickey D's.

France keeps that crap away from the tour... You want to keep the tour visiting your little hamlet then show up and protest when McDonald's comes to your Town Hall meeting requesting a building permit.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Blog Entries
    Someone should tell Bobke airbags used as soft walls isn't NASCAR technology. It's used in motorcycle racing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    Man I can't wait for them to get to France. They're riding through Belgium trying to get my serenity fix and there they go... Riding past the golden arches. Not a 14th century castle but a Mickey D's.

France keeps that crap away from the tour... You want to keep the tour visiting your little hamlet then show up and protest when McDonald's comes to your Town Hall meeting requesting a building permit.
    Pretty sure that was Germany.

And now that you've wet yourself, there's one near the finish line on the Champs Elysees.

And get this...its the largest in the world.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/19/the-wo...t-all-5707287/
    Last edited by midtown; 07-02-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Pretty sure that was Germany.

And now that you've wet yourself, there's one near the finish line on the Champs Elysees.

And get this...its the largest in the world.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/19/the-wo...t-all-5707287/
    Yeah, but it's not the biggest sign in the world. On the tour today there was a helicopter shot of the peloton and suddenly out of the left corner comes the Golden Arches and takes over 90% of the shot. It made me spit out my freshly baked blueberry scone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    Yeah, but it's not the biggest sign in the world. On the tour today there was a helicopter shot of the peloton and suddenly out of the left corner comes the Golden Arches and takes over 90% of the shot. It made me spit out my freshly baked blueberry scone.
    Made me want get a McCafe.

Insider
    I walked by that McDonalds today. Was great day and got to seem them pass by twice. Mega crowd.

Edit: No I did not walk past the one in the pic. I thought that was one in Dusseldorf by the start.
    Last edited by RS2; 07-02-2017 at 06:26 PM.

I'm sorta interested in tomorrow's ride, mostly because a few weeks ago I drove along some of those very roads they will be riding on in Belgium.

Blog Entries
    Peter Sagan DQ'd for crashing Mark Cavendish into the barriers:

That's surprising based on the fact that the contact between Mark and Peter was at Mark's shoulder and helmet with Peter's hip. If you look closely at the slow motion replay you can see that Peter's elbow hits nothing but air as Mark in the background is already headed for the barrier. Mark was trying to get on the tail of the rider that Sagan was trying to stay on the tail of and was in front of Cavendish.

The contact between Cavendish's shoulder and Sagan's hip caused Cavendish to wipe out against the barrier... It caused Sagan to stick his elbow out to keep his balance. If the DQ holds I'll be shocked.

I think it is just an unfortunate accident . Cavendish was in no mans land out there and suffered the consequences for it. I think the dq is too harsh.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Insider
    From what I have read everybody knows you do not do that with somebody against the fence.

Blog Entries
    Jimmy Johnson tweet: These guy's need spotters or something.

(That was completely made up)

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    From what I have read everybody knows you do not do that with somebody against the fence.
    The head on view shows that the contact was back at Sagan's hip and Cavendish's shoulder. It's like if Mark's front corner had caught Peter's rear quarter going into turn one at Indy, that contact is on the person to the rear.

Jimmy Johnson get's it.

Blog Entries
    Cavendish is out of the Tour with a broken shoulder. Sagan has appealed but I doubt that succeeds.

Very unfortunate but I'd call it a racin' deal. I just can't imagine sprinting as hard as I can, out of the saddle, with 10 or more other maniacs on every side.
    Was a racer and fan, now a dedicated fan.

Something was going to happen in that race, they were moving around way before the final sprint, then the lead outs guys start dropping through the peleton and I told mrs goner the big one was about to take place.
    I told her Sagan was going to be in big trouble but after Cavendish appeared to accept the apology as a Racin thing and the boys in the booth blew it off I was then surprised by the DQ.
    So much leaning and rebalancing takes place in the Sprints close quarters, but that elbow is hard to explain away and Cavendish thinking he could get through a non-gap?
    Crazy riding.

Cavendish was following another rider, so I can see how he thought there was room. Then Sagan moved over. While it looked like Cavendish accepted the apology, I saw a quote where he said something to the effect that he and Sagan are friends and get along, and crashes happen, but he didn't appreciate having the elbow thrown.

I read that quote this morning after posting.
    An unfortunate deal all around.
    Best thing is there were no head injuries.
    A stiff penalty, it will be interesting for the next sprint finish.

During the pre-race show this morning they showed the replay that showed what I said it showed. Sagan's elbow never made contact with Cavendish. Cavendish leaned into Sagan and made contact with his shoulder to Sagan's hip at which point both riders were thrown off balance and you can see Cavendish begin his fall towards the barrier and Sagan struggled to keep on top of his bike. he flared his elbow in that effort.

If you ignore Mark and Peter and focus on the other riders in that shot you see the other sprinters flaring their elbows as they are straining for power. You even see the eventual winner of the stage cross between two other riders hitting the front wheel of one of them causing that rider to struggle to stay on top of his bike.

The Tour de France did not disqualify Sagan the UCI did which makes this worse. The UCI should have been able to figure this out. The UCI who couldn't stop Armstrong from cheating for 7 tours kicks out the best rider in the world because a long range lens made it look like something happened that didn't.

When Stage 5 took off this morning without Sagan reinstated the 2017 Tour de France ended for me.