Thread: The best barbecue in the country is in Olathe, Kansas.

Blog Entries

The best barbecue in the country is in Olathe, Kansas.

Or Kansas City, Kansas. Or Leawood, Kansas. Take your pick Cited by no less an "authority" than the New York Post, kids.

http://www.kansascity.com/living/liv...160948619.html

Have been to the Olathe version multiple times. Good grub. Will vouch for the Smoky Joe.

We have a new place in Tarpon Springs that claims they do it KC style...

It's pretty good with my only complaint so far is that their burnt ends aren't as burnt as I would like.

"Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

They are wrong.

There is no "best BBQ in the country".

It's too subjective, too regional and too individual to have one Q joint, grill master, region or style to be named the best.

The debate and sampling of the Q when trying to decide is all worthwhile however.

Q on.

And onion rings and cheese on a brisket sandwich. That right there, for me anyway, is automatic disqualification.
    Did I mention individual tastes already?
    Last edited by goner; 07-14-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: eh, what the heck, another correction

Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    They are wrong.

It's too subjective, too regional and too individual to have one Q joint, grill master, region or style to be named the best.

The debates and sampling of the Q when trying to decide is all worthwhile however.
    Agree wholeheartedly...

The regional definitions of BBQ are one of the things I love....more the reason to try 'em all whenever possible!!
    KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

Blog Entries
    They are wrong.

The debates and sampling of the Q when trying to decide is all worthwhile however.

Q on.

And onion rings and cheese on a brisket sandwich? That right there, for me anyway, is automatic disqualification.
    Yep.

The worst I had was in Charlotte NC., so-called Eastern Carolina BBQ. The meat was drowned in a sauce so vinegary it would take your breathe away.

I've also been in Memphis enough to know that apparently the only place there to get good Bar B Que is in bad neighborhoods. Well, OK that and Melissa Cookstons "Memphis Bar B Que in Horn Lake, MS.

I went to another BBQ place in Bethel, PA that was supposed to have incredible Bar B Que chicken. The reviews raved on it. When I got there they had NO bar b que anything, the chicken they were talking about was nothing more than rotisserie chicken!! and not even good rotisserrie chicken at that.

I've had good and bad. There's just too many styles to call a single one great and that includes anything from Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    I went to another BBQ place in Bethel, PA that was supposed to have incredible Bar B Que chicken. The reviews raved on it. When I got there they had NO bar b que anything, the chicken they were talking about was nothing more than rotisserie chicken!! and not even good rotisserrie chicken at that.
    That's funny, and don't order barbecue shrimp in Louisiana if you want your shrimp to have spent any time near a BBQ grill.

They are wrong.

The debate and sampling of the Q when trying to decide is all worthwhile however.

Q on.

And onion rings and cheese on a brisket sandwich. That right there, for me anyway, is automatic disqualification.
    Well, I've been all over the country and i can tell you that the Best Barbecue ribs I've ever had were prepared by a 50 something year old African-American woman who was the mother of a neighbor/friend of mine in a lakefront condo community in Winter Haven Florida. This was the summer of 1992 And on Saturday mornings this woman would set up around the smoker provided by the complex and would spend all day smoking ribs. They said she started out just doing this for the family but it was too difficult to hide and pretty soon people were wanting to know how much they could buy a plate for. See she had a cooler fuil of potato salad & coleslaw. I know when I caught up it was 6 bucks for five bones and two ice cream scopes of the sides.

She did something with a mixture of pineapple juice & barbecue sauce and sumpthin' else (that I'm still trying to figure out) that would result in the thinnest of a candied crystallized sheen on top of the ribs that combined with everything else she did to them that was just... Magic.

But yeah, that's what I'll keep striving for as long as I live.

That's the way it should be, everyone has their favorite unforgettable Q experience.
    The summer of '92, it has ring to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    That's funny, and don't order barbecue shrimp in Louisiana if you want your shrimp to have spent any time near a BBQ grill.
    I spent a couple days working down in Lafayette, LA. The only night we'd eat down there I had a craving for some good cajun food. So I asked the local cajun tech where the best places were to get a good taste of good cajun cooking. He mentioned one place north of town but that was a fancier place a little out of my pocketbook so I mentioned that I didn't care if it was some hole in the wall place back in the swamp. He just scratched his head and couldn't come up with anything. I mean seriously, there had to be something else besides that one restaurant (that place does have good cajun food but it's pricey). I hope to get back there for the festival they have every year and this time I'm going to pre-scout and find some real cajun eateries.

A good friend and I go to a NASCAR race once a year. Since 1997. Used to be Talladega, now it's Kansas City. We arrive a day before the festivities
    and take in some sites (museums, Barber, forts, local color, whatever). We always include some BBQ joint. I couldn't tell you the names but we've NEVER
    been disappointed. Some's better than others but they're all good. Realize he's from Albuquerque and I'm from 150 miles from anywhere, Wisconsin.

The best was somewhere in DC (way back when we worked together). We spoke with the hotel concierge and said, now, really, no chain, no touristy joint,
    where do ya send people? I have no idea where it was but it's where "all the airline people" go. It was not exactly hole in the wall but it was definitely
    a joint for "local color". Tremendous. I don't know what the airline "mix" was back then but we were among the few lightly complected folks eating there
    and it didn't matter. They did not serve alcohol but the iced tay (nope, not swayt tea) was just fine. I know the hotel. If I'm ever in the area, I'll go back
    and ask.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was told it was in the CE forum...
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "It's hard to watch football anymore, with so many ridiculous things happening. At every level. I can't remember the last game I really enjoyed watching."

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    I spent a couple days working down in Lafayette, LA. The only night we'd eat down there I had a craving for some good cajun food. So I asked the local cajun tech where the best places were to get a good taste of good cajun cooking. He mentioned one place north of town but that was a fancier place a little out of my pocketbook so I mentioned that I didn't care if it was some hole in the wall place back in the swamp. He just scratched his head and couldn't come up with anything. I mean seriously, there had to be something else besides that one restaurant (that place does have good cajun food but it's pricey). I hope to get back there for the festival they have every year and this time I'm going to pre-scout and find some real cajun eateries.
    North of town (Lafayette) had to be PreJean's in Carencro. I've eaten there numerous times including a special made breaded pork tenderloin sandwich with fried oysters and crawfish condiments. We RV camp overnight in their parking lot and partake breakfast unlike any you may have experienced. In Lafayette, Gator Cove, is the fun place. They serve an excellent boiled shrimp and crawfish platter extra spicey hot. Those are the two places I enjoy along with nearby in Abbeyville, a Cajun restaurant called Shucks! where the shuck fresh oysters through a viewable dining room window all evening and their signature plate is oysters on the half shell along with fried oyster, shrimp, crawfish, alligator bites... They also serve at the bar oyster shooters.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Prejeans is a great pull, nice, people here have serious chops!! Lafayette is a little gem of a town, ULL is quite beautiful too.

I thought there was a second Prejeans further east but I guess not.

Screw all this regular barbecue, I've seriously got to get some barbecue shrimp asap.

I had the very best pulled pork sandwich I have ever had in Indiana today... it was from the Bacon Station food truck in Indy, and it was huge and absolutely amazing!!!

$7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    North of town (Lafayette) had to be PreJean's in Carencro. I've eaten there numerous times including a special made breaded pork tenderloin sandwich with fried oysters and crawfish condiments. We RV camp overnight in their parking lot and partake breakfast unlike any you may have experienced. In Lafayette, Gator Cove, is the fun place. They serve an excellent boiled shrimp and crawfish platter extra spicey hot. Those are the two places I enjoy along with nearby in Abbeyville, a Cajun restaurant called Shucks! where the shuck fresh oysters through a viewable dining room window all evening and their signature plate is oysters on the half shell along with fried oyster, shrimp, crawfish, alligator bites... They also serve at the bar oyster shooters.
    Prejeans was the place. I've heard numerous good reviews of their food but that evening the prices were a little much. Thanks for the other suggestions. Hoping to get back down there for a few days soon.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the big question is how does one pronounce Olathe?????

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Easy, you start with Jose Maria and end with Abol. The trick is in the lispy part, just go big.

... --- ...
    The best I've had was at the original Famous Dave's here on our lake. It was the only one he actually owned so he was there a lot and made sure things were done right and customers were attended to. Once he started traveling again (he sold the franchise then went back to work as a hired spokesman) it went downhill. It burned down a few years ago and now there is a chrome and glass joint there that caters to the big city tourists who inhabit our area during the summer.

The absolute worse was Jethro's in Altoona, Iowa. We stay in Altoona for the Iowa IndyCar race. I can't believe people line up for that slop.

Lately the best comes off my smoker with Famous Dave's Rich And Sassy sauce.
    ...---...

This can't be right. I'm not even sure there is any actual BBQ in Kansas City.

The best I've had was at the original Famous Dave's here on our lake.
    Famous Dave's is great.
    Trying to spell hors d'oeuvres
    Gets upon my hors n'oeuvres