Thread: Powerful photo

... --- ...

Powerful photo

It's hard to wrap your brain around the amount of power and energy.

...---...

I saw a similar picture last week of the Apollo 4 launch. Based on the 363 foot height of the Saturn, the tail would be over 1000 feet long! I just finished "Stages to Saturn" about the development
    the Saturn rockets. I can't imagine the feeling of the thousands of people involved while the first Saturn V went off. I love listening to the Walter Cronkite broadcast of the first Saturn V launch as he tries to describe the scene as his broadcast booth was falling apart due to the sound and shockwaves. I did read a interesting comment from Michael Collins saying that the Saturn V was considered to be potentially the biggest threat to making the moon landing by 1970, not so much as vehicle loss and possible some re-engineering but the possibility of a pad loss. Pad construction takes years.

7.5 million pounds of thrust burning 20,000 pounds of fuel/second.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

... --- ...
    Yep...but closer to 15 tons per second on all 5 engines.

Insane.

https://history.msfc.nasa.gov/saturn...F-1_Engine.pdf

Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Camera E-8

30 seconds of actual time in 8:42 of video.

"The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mrs. Numb sez it reminds her of me...
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.” ~~numb
    "Passive aggressive BS. You aren't interested in learning anything from what I have to say. "

... --- ...
    The escape rocket or the exhaust plume?

Quote Originally Posted by greg b View Post
    I saw a similar picture last week of the Apollo 4 launch. Based on the 363 foot height of the Saturn, the tail would be over 1000 feet long! I just finished "Stages to Saturn" about the development
    the Saturn rockets. I can't imagine the feeling of the thousands of people involved while the first Saturn V went off. I love listening to the Walter Cronkite broadcast of the first Saturn V launch as he tries to describe the scene as his broadcast booth was falling apart due to the sound and shockwaves. I did read a interesting comment from Michael Collins saying that the Saturn V was considered to be potentially the biggest threat to making the moon landing by 1970, not so much as vehicle loss and possible some re-engineering but the possibility of a pad loss. Pad construction takes years.
    I'm guessing the tail plume is over 2,000 feet long since it appears at least five times as long as the rocket.

Blog Entries
    Space. James michener.
    well worth the read!!!!
    PAY NO MORE.
    Be there or be square.

Great shot.

I always liked how the power was captured of this USS Iowa Mk 7 firing.

"The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post
    Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Camera E-8

30 seconds of actual time in 8:42 of video.
    The same footage sped up to real time, with actual sound:

"Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    The same footage sped up to real time, with actual sound:

Over in 21 seconds?
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Composite of still photos and CBS coverage of the first Saturn V launch, Apollo 4 (much of the video has been lost I suppose), with Walter Cronkite's commentary; the fun part starts at about 5:50

This is a powerful photo.

The man of the hour and the man with the power.

ABC coverage of the final Saturn V launch, the unmanned launch of Skylab I in May 1973, with Col. James Lamar USAF, whose F-105 had been shot down over North Vietnam in 1966; he spent the next 7 years as a POW and had just been released 3 months before the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Reminds me of my wife on her way to a shoe sale...
    KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

I was at the Kennedy Space Center in April where they have a Saturn V on display...very cool! Here's a shot of the business end:

Blog Entries
    The five Rocketdyne F-1 engines on the Saturn V were a technological wonder. The gas generator, which provided the power for the turbopumps, put out 55,000 HP. Its exhaust was directed around the circumference of the bell. The inconel ducting about midway down the bell introduced the exhaust into the nozzle extension. The exhaust was a much richer gas than that generated by the main LOX-RP-1 rocket fuel. It was therefore much cooler, and kept the nozzle extension temperature below the material's limits.

When you watch a Saturn V launch, at T-minus 8 seconds the call goes out "Ignition sequence start". The large fireball and black smoke you first see coming from the engines is the gas generator exhaust. The rocket engine proper starts at T-minus 4 seconds, and when the hold down arms release at T-minus zero, the Saturn starts moving. The exhaust has a definite boundary where the gas generator exhaust mixes with the rocket engine exhaust.

By the time it clears the 375' tall gantry tower, the rocket is moving at well over 100 miles per hour.

The F-1 engines burn around 15 tons of fuel per second, and the burn time of the first stage is 205 seconds. In that time it accelerates to 6,000 MPH and an altitude of 38 miles.

This was some ****ing cool stuff to watch, even on my parent's 21" RCA console color TV.
    Last edited by rrrr; 07-19-2017 at 02:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Below is a video of the F-1 gas generator. It has been removed from the engine and mounted on a test stand, running standalone and sorta like your first car did with open headers.

As I said above, its power output is around 55,000 HP. This power was used to spin the LOX and RP-1 (rocket grade kerosene) turbopumps. The fuel pump delivered 15,471 gallons of RP-1 per minute while the oxidizer pump delivered 24,811 gallons of liquid oxygen per minute. The turbopumps of all five engines combined on the Saturn V first stage moved about 30,000 pounds of fuel per second.

The ability of the pumps to move that much fuel is mind blowing. Consider the challenge the engineers faced on the LOX pump. Oxygen exists in a liquid state at -361 degrees Fahrenheit.

The LOX and RP-1 (kerosene) pumps were on a common shaft. The kerosene was at ambient temperature. With the pumps operating just inches apart, the shaft, seals, and bearings of the two pumps ran at a temperature differential of over 400 degrees.

The pump shaft diameter was 170 mm, and the pump impellers had a diameter of 32". The pumps operated at 5,500 RPM.

While the Rocketdyne engineers faced other significant challenges in making the engine operate in a stable mode, the work that went into the gas generator, the turbopumps, and the fuel control valves was a fantastic bit of engineering in itself.

https://youtu.be/1AD-DbC3e68

Another NASA video that describes the Saturn V propulsion systems and shows static test firings:

https://youtu.be/qP7yd7RxtkU

Edit: Here's a photo that clearly shows the gas generator and its exhaust ducting. You can also see the LOX and RP-1 ducts that are attached to the turbopumps. The red jackets are insulation, installed to prevent heat damage to electrical and telemetry wiring as well as the hydraulic system and piping used to gimbal the engine.

Last edited by rrrr; 07-19-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    The fuel pump delivered 15,471 gallons of RP-1 per minute while the oxidizer pump delivered 24,811 gallons of liquid oxygen per minute.
    Just to put a visual on that kind of movement, the average 16'x32' pool contains a little over 15,000 gallons of water.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    This is a powerful photo.

The man of the hour and the man with the power.
    Steroid use has left the Superstar a crippled man.

... --- ...

I first read that a few years ago and it is still very moving to read. Just chilling to think about that end. Thankfully these great men and women pulled it off!

I worked with the Flight Surgeon that went into quarantine with the Apollo 11 crew. He bought 3 freezers in the event things didn't go well on return.

Quote Originally Posted by Niseguy View Post
    I worked with the Flight Surgeon that went into quarantine with the Apollo 11 crew. He bought 3 freezers in the event things didn't go well on return.
    Ida had my flight surgeon bring 3 fridges of beer if all went well.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley