Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halo in F1

Quote Originally Posted by jpalesi View Post
    That's not where the helmet is.
    That's the point. To keep things away from the helmet.

It doesn't tell the helmet was going to be hit. It just shows the halo got some tire mark.

They also claimed that it saved Makino in F2, where there is zero video evidence. Just like a government, they'll tell anything to fit their propaganda. Whiting also said that the halo didn't cause any obstruction to Hulkenberg. So much that Hulkenberg took the time to scream on the radio that he's on fire, and yet he stayed in the car. Probably he felt good in there. But whatever.

If the halo were the solution that the FIA claims it is, they wouldn't need to be feeding exclusive stories to a single media outlet, not only about how good the halo performed, but that the other proposed solution, the windscreen, would have only be 10% as effective.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...h-fia/4309742/

The FIA doth protest too much, methinks.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...-halo/4310148/

I suppose Toto is 'drinking the koolaid' also.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Funny, I don't recall a PR push like this after the sweeping safety changes in Formula One for the 1998 season, or when HANS devices were made mandatory. It is almost as if they're still trying to sell the concept to stakeholders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
    It is almost as if they're still trying to sell the concept to stakeholders.
    Given the rules require them, and the cars already have them, why would the FIA feel the need to try to sell the concept to stakeholders?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Funny, I don't recall a PR push like this after the sweeping safety changes in Formula One for the 1998 season, or when HANS devices were made mandatory. It is almost as if they're still trying to sell the concept to stakeholders.
    I don't think those changes (especially HANS) made as much visual difference to the cars, nor were they as hotly debated before the halo was chosen over the aeroscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Given the rules require them, and the cars already have them, why would the FIA feel the need to try to sell the concept to stakeholders?
    That is what doesn't make sense to me. The debate is over, the halo is currently in Formula One, Formula E, and some versions of F3 (such as F3 Americas), and is being incorporated into the lower formulae as they cycle through updates. The issue is seemingly settled, yet the FIA continues to put out multiple releases about the one incident where the halo (an FIA concept) was arguably a factor, the windscreen (which is not an FIA concept) would only have been fractionally as effective as the halo, and how stakeholders like Toto Wolff are changing their minds about the halo.

If not other stakeholders, who are they still trying to sell this to?

That is what doesn't make sense to me. The debate is over, the halo is currently in Formula One, Formula E, and some versions of F3 (such as F3 Americas), and is being incorporated into the lower formulae as they cycle through updates. The issue is seemingly settled, yet the FIA continues to put out multiple releases about the one incident where the halo (an FIA concept) was arguably a factor, the windscreen (which is not an FIA concept) would only have been fractionally as effective as the halo, and how stakeholders like Toto Wolff are changing their minds about the halo.

If not other stakeholders, who are they still trying to sell this to?
    The lawyers in the future who will sue when the halo prevents a safe exit from a fire, crushed into the car, visibility, etc. The halo is not 100% good idea, it is a trade off. They are hedging their bets on liability.
    And don't forget the heat!