Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly season. Beginning early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    (newgarden) he got to where he was because he was just that good and due to the efforts of only 3 people: Newgarden himself as a driver, and Sarah Fisher and Ed Carpenter for taking a chance on him.
    well before sarah, it was rising star racing that believed in jn. they gave him the start and are likely the most overlooked supporting group in indycar racing. maybe add them to the thank you list because without them, he likely never did lights or got with sfr to begin with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood-1 View Post
    Surely that has nothing to do with Verstappen actually being fast, it's just a conspiracy against poor innocent American drivers.
    And Exhibit A on why the online Indycar fanbase is a complete and total joke that no one wants to deal with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    well before sarah, it was rising star racing that believed in jn. they gave him the start and are likely the most overlooked supporting group in indycar racing. maybe add them to the thank you list because without them, he likely never did lights or got with sfr to begin with.
    I'll grant you that.

So racer says AA to Honda with Rossi signed, motorsports says not so fast.
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Take a look at the VIR track map. This incident occurred at turns 14 and 15: 14, a left, is quite quick but 15, the right hander, tightens up a great deal, and is off-camber. If you overcook it you will be very slow for the immediate left that follows.

Coming at you on the camera, I see Legge on the right side of the track, drag racing Karam. They are about even, and even though Sage is far left and on the racing line, Katherine is inside and thus the upcoming turn, a slight left-hander into a hard braking right-hander, is HER corner and she has the inside line. Still, in the span of about a half-second to a second, Katherine comes over hard anyway, which SK obviously reacted to, putting his wheels off. After he rejoins he is still carrying a lot of speed into the corner, overtaking her in T14 despite all the dirt on his tires. He cannot get the car stopped in time to carry speed properly through T15, which is nearly a 90-degree right, that he is very slow on exit, while KL takes a more traditional line, carrying normal speed--right into the back of Karam. What Sage does after that is subject to debate, but Legge's teammate Andy Lally admitted Legge hit him up the back as retaliation.

I see this as both misbehaving, but Katherine more so. Still, the optics for Sage just keep getting worse
    Sage started it by squeezing Kat at high speed on a straight. Kat returned the favor by squeezing Sage back. Sage then decided to take being an idiot to the next level. The idea that he slowed like he did because he had dust on his tires is laughable.
    Be a better driver, move right except to pass.

Insider
    Indycar needs guys that can be stars and draw fans. And owners have to take chances on them. Josef Newgarden when he clinches this season's title can become the face of this series and be a crossover star. Especially when you look at NASCAR and all their crossover stars are old or retiring. Here's a guy that got to the top of the mountain and he didn't buy his ride, didn't get to where he was based on nepotism, he got to where he was because he was just that good and due to the efforts of only 3 people: Newgarden himself as a driver, and Sarah Fisher and Ed Carpenter for taking a chance on him. If Sarah Fisher never gave him a ride, Newgarden wouldn't be at Penske now or on the verge of winning a championship, he would probably be lost to the Indycar Series altogether. And I look at Newgarden and I see a guy that could sell tickets, get more sponsors and money into the sport. Scott Dixon, bless his heart, all-time great driver, but he's never in his career drawn fans to want to buy a ticket and go to the racetrack. We need more Newgardens in this series. I think Sage can be that, he has potential in my eyes. Do all guys with potential pan out? No, they don't. But I want him to have an opportunity to prove me wrong.
    The difference is the person. And in reality, the person matters, personality matters, attitude matters and public perception matters.

How did the silly season thread get polluted with sports car break checking anyway. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    How did the silly season thread get polluted with sports car break checking anyway. lol
    It's aggravating. Anyway, someone here wrote a rumor about Adrian Fernandez bringing Sergio Perez over for a Mexican super team. I see little chance of that. I mean, where would the team come from, out of the blue?
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    It's aggravating. Anyway, someone here wrote a rumor about Adrian Fernandez bringing Sergio Perez over for a Mexican super team. I see little chance of that. I mean, where would the team come from, out of the blue?
    Adrian Fernandez used to have a team.. So its not like its totally out of left field
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    Because IndyCar can't survive without Sage, don't you know that?

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    Carlos Slim's wallet.
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 20 Wins---91 Podiums---17 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit World Record 27 Consecutive Points Finishes

I know Adrian had a team, but also, why would Slim move the #1 draw for his Mexican GP out of Formula 1???

Yeah, with Mexican GP now back on F1 calendar I see no reason why Slim would want to go back to AOWR again.

Btw, where is Veach's money allegedly coming from? I had the impression he's just another one who can only "buy" a seat with his talent alone.

Blog Entries
    Carlos Slim has plenty of business interests in the US, though he hasn't exactly done stellar with those companies. Telmex isn't his only company to pimp but his son Carlos Slim Domit who is Chairman of Telmex loves racing. That's somewhat like saying "why would Penske compete in Indycar when NASCAR is so much more popular?"

The people cashing the checks in racing rarely care where it comes from anymore, as long as it's good. SMP may be the exception. chances are that source was running into political roadblocks again in 2018 and Aleshin did himself no favors. Dallara probably shed a tear to two at the news of him leaving.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    They need some guys like that, the kid has moxie. Bring it on.
    Get ready for what's comin'. More speed, more horsepower. More of everything...... Doc Hudson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
    Btw, where is Veach's money allegedly coming from? I had the impression he's just another one who can only "buy" a seat with his talent alone.
    Yeah, Robin Miller said Veach found enough money to pay for 3 full seasons which is a lot of dough. Where it's coming from I have no idea but to be truthful it doesn't surprise me. Other younger drivers have proven there is money out there it just takes a lot of time to accumulate it.

As for Veah the driver....from what I've seen there are two camps. One camp sees him as an overachieving driver that has an "okay" Indy Lights record but nothing that'll set the world on fire. Other believe he's as talented as any American from the Mazda Road to Indy ladder and should be given a chance. I personally would like to see how he does for a few seasons. It doesn't make sense for him to go back to Indy Lights.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Blog Entries
    Adrian used to be tight with Honda way back when. It is a left field rumor though.

Adrian used to be tight with Honda way back when. It is a left field rumor though.
    There is a LOT of Left Field stuff this excessively silly season. I wouldn't be surprised that we get a couple left field entries this year.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
    Isn't he part of the rising star program as well?

Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727 View Post
    Isn't he part of the rising star program as well?
    He is not. It is Newgarden, Pigot, Alberico, and Askew.

Still can't figure out why Racer is is saying that he has re-signed when the article clearly states "A call to Rossi for comment was not immediately returned."

I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
    Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Because the media are a bunch of liars, fakes, and distrustful people.

At least according to our president.

Quote Originally Posted by brundle View Post
    Still can't figure out why Racer is is saying that he has re-signed when the article clearly states "A call to Rossi for comment was not immediately returned."

Yes and it is directly contradicted by the motorsport.com article, who hasn't posted the Taku thing ether.

I love that some drivers won't give or deliberately give Marshall Pruett bs information all the time because they can't stand him. Same to a degree with Miller but Miller has too many real sources that usually gets the right info to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. View Post
    I love that some drivers won't give or deliberately give Marshall Pruett bs information all the time because they can't stand him. Same to a degree with Miller but Miller has too many real sources that usually gets the right info to him.
    i can't stand MP either..blocked me on twitter...Robin even responds to my emails/email

Marshall has a very high opinion of himself.. He blocked me from his FB page a couple years ago

Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    Used to be "Waldo" back in USENET days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Marshall has a very high opinion of himself.. He blocked me from his FB page a couple years ago
    That's cold-blooded, man.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Ah, so he's the American Joe Saward?

I couldn't take Pruett seriously after reading an article from him years ago where he became ALMS Fanboy #1 on saying why it would succeed and Grand-Am would crumble into dust into the future. I mean I preferred the ALMS over Grand-Am too, but the article was the definition of hackdom, imaginary axe grinding, and a writer out of touch with racing business reality or why fans watch auto racing. It wasn't like it was snarkish as Robin Miller was/is either, for sportscar racing that was Murphy the Bear/Tom Kjos. This article from Pruett was bordering on religious belief. One of the worst racing journalism pieces I ever read.