Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly season. Beginning early this year.

So, I found this crystal ball, looked into it and weirdly saw the starting lineup at St Pete next year. It's a nice 24 car field.

Team Penske
    2 Josef Newgarden
    12 Will Power
    22 Simon Pagenaud

Chip Ganassi Racing
    9 Scott Dixon
    10 Esteban Gutierrez

Andretti Autosport
    26 Zach Veach
    27 Marco Andretti
    28 Ryan Hunter Reay
    98 Alexander Rossi

Sam Schmidt Racing
    5 Hinch
    7 Ed Jones

Dale Coyne Racing
    18 Jack Harvey
    19 Sebastien Bourdais

Rahal Letterman Racing
    15 Graham Rahal
    16 Takuma Sato

Ed Carpenter Racing
    20 Felix Rosenqvist (Road and Street) Ed Carpenter (Ovals)
    21 Tony Kannan

Harding Racing
    88 Gabby Chaves

Carlin Motorsport
    3 Felipe Nasr
    8 Max Chilton

Juncos Racing
    11 Charlie Kimball
    17 Kyle Kaiser

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Good guessing, but I think 2 Juncos cars is a lot less likely than 1 more Harding Car or Ganassi Car

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar
    Anyone else remember Marshall's one and only appearance on Wind Tunnel? He gleefully giggled at the possibility of several Champ Car teams switching to sportscars rather than joining the Indycar Series.

Blog Entries
    Nasr?

Quote Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
    Yeah, with Mexican GP now back on F1 calendar I see no reason why Slim would want to go back to AOWR again.

Btw, where is Veach's money allegedly coming from? I had the impression he's just another one who can only "buy" a seat with his talent alone.
    Veach is brilliant at marketing himself in a way most young American drivers aren't. He was on talk shows for his book, his anti-bullying, and his anti-texting and driving campaigns long before he'd really done anything as a driver. I can totally see his marketing ability carrying him to a ride. I think the high-tech community likes him. He even made his own anti-texting app as a teenager. I'm not at all surprised he's attracted money.

As much as I do like him a hell of a lot for his courage talking about being bullied in school in the past, which is not something you normally hear about from race car drivers, I'm not incredibly impressed with him as a driver. Since almost everyone has rejected Sage Karam as unworthy now, it seems weird that Veach, who was substantially behind him in every level of the ladder series, is considered a hot prospect. He does seem to be decent but always is way off the pace and then eventually gets competitive after a longer time than the truly hot prospects. But Veach does seem to be nice and Karam does not and he seems to have a wider range of skills beyond just driving so I can see the sponsor appeal and while he might be slow, I don't really see him causing a lot of on-track carnage. More of a James Jakes than a Sebastian Saavedra I suspect.

I'll be totally rooting for him while not expecting much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    So, I found this crystal ball, looked into it and weirdly saw the starting lineup at St Pete next year. It's a nice 24 car field.

Team Penske
    2 Josef Newgarden
    12 Will Power
    22 Simon Pagenaud

Chip Ganassi Racing
    9 Scott Dixon
    10 Esteban Gutierrez

Andretti Autosport
    26 Zach Veach
    27 Marco Andretti
    28 Ryan Hunter Reay
    98 Alexander Rossi

Sam Schmidt Racing
    5 Hinch
    7 Ed Jones

Dale Coyne Racing
    18 Jack Harvey
    19 Sebastien Bourdais

Rahal Letterman Racing
    15 Graham Rahal
    16 Takuma Sato

Ed Carpenter Racing
    20 Felix Rosenqvist (Road and Street) Ed Carpenter (Ovals)
    21 Tony Kannan

Harding Racing
    88 Gabby Chaves

Carlin Motorsport
    3 Felipe Nasr
    8 Max Chilton

Juncos Racing
    11 Charlie Kimball
    17 Kyle Kaiser

I like the 24 full time drivers. I would love to see that next season.

I'm not sure about Esteban Gutierrez, Jack Harvery, Felix Rosenqvist, or Felipe Nasr. They might run part time, maybe Indy 500, but I don't see them running full time.

Chip Ganassi will have at least 3 full time drivers. He has to... I always think that Ganassi always has to compete with Penske.

I say Kimball stays with Ganassi.

Hildebrand stays one more year with Ed Carpenter Racing.

I'm not sure about Dale Coyne Racing... I know Seb will be there, but the second car is up in the air on who will drive that.

TK will either stay with Ganassi or go to another team.

AJ Foyt will have at least one car next season.

That's my guess. These guesses could be all wrong. We will just have to wait until about month from now to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by arenasnow View Post
    He does seem to be decent but always is way off the pace and then eventually gets competitive after a longer time than the truly hot prospects. But Veach does seem to be nice and Karam does not and he seems to have a wider range of skills beyond just driving so I can see the sponsor appeal and while he might be slow, I don't really see him causing a lot of on-track carnage. More of a James Jakes than a Sebastian Saavedra I suspect.

He won three races his final season in Lights in dominant fashion while driving for a team (Belardi) that is hardly known for fielding dominant rides in that series. It just takes some drivers longer than others to put everything together. I am confident he could be competitive with Andretti.

Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    Nasr?
    Carlin Motorsport Alum, has some funding. He's working for a Formula One return, but has publicly said he's looking at all options, which has to include Indycar

Quote Originally Posted by arenasnow View Post
    Veach is brilliant at marketing himself in a way most young American drivers aren't. He was on talk shows for his book, his anti-bullying, and his anti-texting and driving campaigns long before he'd really done anything as a driver. I can totally see his marketing ability carrying him to a ride. I think the high-tech community likes him. He even made his own anti-texting app as a teenager. I'm not at all surprised he's attracted money.

As much as I do like him a hell of a lot for his courage talking about being bullied in school in the past, which is not something you normally hear about from race car drivers, I'm not incredibly impressed with him as a driver. Since almost everyone has rejected Sage Karam as unworthy now, it seems weird that Veach, who was substantially behind him in every level of the ladder series, is considered a hot prospect. He does seem to be decent but always is way off the pace and then eventually gets competitive after a longer time than the truly hot prospects. But Veach does seem to be nice and Karam does not and he seems to have a wider range of skills beyond just driving so I can see the sponsor appeal and while he might be slow, I don't really see him causing a lot of on-track carnage. More of a James Jakes than a Sebastian Saavedra I suspect.

He is pretty much parallel'ing Charlie Kimball's progression from the lower tier to the top tier.

Kimball - being well behind drivers like Saavedra, Hildebrand, and Hinchcliffe - has money from sponsors to afford a healthy ride in the VICS.
    Then spent the first couple of years being a backmarker mostly. Flashes of quickness included, but mostly just out there being an also-ran.

Speaking of lower tier drivers leaving us with a huge question mark over our head - whatever happened to that no-namer Indy lights dude (American) that was supposedly going to compete a full season for KV a few years back and TF was up in arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Vancel39 View Post
    I like the 24 full time drivers. I would love to see that next season.

I'm not sure about Esteban Gutierrez, Jack Harvery, Felix Rosenqvist, or Felipe Nasr. They might run part time, maybe Indy 500, but I don't see them running full time.

Chip Ganassi will have at least 3 full time drivers. He has to... I always think that Ganassi always has to compete with Penske.

I say Kimball stays with Ganassi.

Hildebrand stays one more year with Ed Carpenter Racing.

I'm not sure about Dale Coyne Racing... I know Seb will be there, but the second car is up in the air on who will drive that.

TK will either stay with Ganassi or go to another team.

AJ Foyt will have at least one car next season.

That's my guess. These guesses could be all wrong. We will just have to wait until about month from now to find out...
    Didn't even know that Foyt was missing from the above prediction. Shows how much of a non-factor they've been lately...

Guys, I also wouldn't be surprised if ECR becomes a 1 car team next season with Ed as a +1 on ovals. Dallara has been adding some zeroes to that team's replacement parts in the last couple of months ... will Fuzzy's really be interested in being the primary sponsor on two cars for another full season?
    Full timer can take the Fuzzy's money (likely Hildebrand) and then move Hildebrand over to the Preferred Freezer car on ovals.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727 View Post
    Didn't even know that Foyt was missing from the above prediction. Shows how much of a non-factor they've been lately...

Guys, I also wouldn't be surprised if ECR becomes a 1 car team next season with Ed as a +1 on ovals. Dallara has been adding some zeroes to that team's replacement parts in the last couple of months ... will Fuzzy's really be interested in being the primary sponsor on two cars for another full season?
    Full timer can take the Fuzzy's money (likely Hildebrand) and then move Hildebrand over to the Preferred Freezer car on ovals.
    Why wouldn't Fuzzy's be interested? According to this article, Ed seems pretty keen at having two full time cars and his car as a third on the ovals. It doesn't sound to me like a guy who is contracting. His interview after the gateway accident seems to indicate that his team should be the same next year. Possibly with Pigot full time.
    http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...g-2018-options

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_K View Post
    Why wouldn't Fuzzy's be interested? According to this article, Ed seems pretty keen at having two full time cars and his car as a third on the ovals. It doesn't sound to me like a guy who is contracting. His interview after the gateway accident seems to indicate that his team should be the same next year. Possibly with Pigot full time.
    http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...g-2018-options
    Since this article was released he's had his cars up against the wall with serious damage 3 times (1 looked like it was probably tubbed) - and a 4th with a mediocre clout against the wall.

I was aware of Ed's plans before, but at this point, he's gotta be giving Dale a run for his money (literally) with their payments to Dallara. Just makes me wonder how much of a financial hit that team is taking.

Blog Entries
    Im sure it's not insignificant, but they will be on the grid. Good thing everyone already knows they start fresh in 18.

Blog Entries
    Hildebrand needs to be oval only like his boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you were McLaren which Honda Indycar team would you choose for the 500? The one that had won 2 of the last three 500's or one that had never won the 500?
    You clearly don't know by your history, otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question. Rahal is Honda royalty. Rahal brought Honda to Indycar. He stayed with Honda through the dark days until they became the engine to beat. I'm not talking about the IRL but back in the CART days. Rahal isnt just a team the runs Honda engines, they have mutual business dealing above and beyond Indy at racing. Andretti doesn't have so much as Honda dealersbip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    You clearly don't know by your history, otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question. Rahal is Honda royalty. Rahal brought Honda to Indycar. He stayed with Honda through the dark days until they became the engine to beat. I'm not talking about the IRL but back in the CART days. Rahal isnt just a team the runs Honda engines, they have mutual business dealing above and beyond Indy at racing. Andretti doesn't have so much as Honda dealersbip.
    \

You need to brush up on your Honda-Cart-Rahal-Indycar history. Rahal ran Honda engines for exactly ONE CART season (1994). Rahal did not re-unite with Honda until 2003 in the IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    \

You need to brush up on your Honda-Cart-Rahal-Indycar history. Rahal ran Honda engines for exactly ONE CART season (1994). Rahal did not re-unite with Honda until 2003 in the IRL.
    Exactly.. He did not even finish the year with Honda
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Hildebrand needs to be oval only like his boss.
    I'm not sure he even rates that....
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Blog Entries
    \

Besides that Bobby Rahal also had a good hand at developing the 1st generation NSX. Bobby might have not always been a fan of Honda but it seems as if Honda has always been a fan of Bobby.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

\

He did win Pocono with the Judd.

Stewart Reed who co owns Fuzzys is also co owner of the team. So yes. Fuzzys will be on the car. My wife works for another company Stewart Reed owns. Which is in no way insider info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    Excellent points, but if I were Alonzo, I'd rather drive for the team that is more competitive at the 500.

EDIT: Oops, maybe they weren't that great of points if Bobby only ran 15 out of 265 races with a Honda engine. Hardly makes him Honda royalty.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...indycar-future

Another racer article that doesn't say much. This time about Munoz

Ahh well. We will see what Miller says in his mailbag.
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCore View Post
    Stewart Reed who co owns Fuzzys is also co owner of the team. So yes. Fuzzys will be on the car. My wife works for another company Stewart Reed owns. Which is in no way insider info.
    Well I hope so. Wife says we have enough Fuzzy's stashed to last 15 years, and that if I bring home another she will beat me with it.

All Miller had in the mailbag new was that TK "has a new ride for 2018." Something TK himself has been hinting at.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Exactly.. He did not even finish the year with Honda
    He drove a Honda in 15 of his 265 starts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    Carlin Motorsport Alum, has some funding. He's working for a Formula One return, but has publicly said he's looking at all options, which has to include Indycar
    In his last blog post, Joe Saward said that once Massa retires which will be pretty soon, the Brazilian Grand Prix will likely disappear, main reason being there's no one to pay for it. If that's the case and Nasr is relying mostly on Brazilian funding sources, I doubt he'll be returning to the F1 grid.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    He drove a Honda in 15 of his 265 starts.
    wow great stat

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...-indycar-drive

So maybe now Veach to Andretti for multiple years in the 26?

Good guessing, but I think 2 Juncos cars is a lot less likely than 1 more Harding Car or Ganassi Car
    And if there happens to be a second Juncos. It won't have number 17 on it. AFS has use of the number 17. Unless its an AFS/Juncos partnership again.