Page 1 of 92 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly season. Beginning early this year.

Silly season. Beginning early this year.

Well everyone thinks that Andretti will decide Honda or Chevy for next year at Gateway.

So here is a question, before we start silly season

Who is already locked in for next year? Racer said only 8 are.

I can think of

Power
    Newgarden
    Pagenaud
    Dixon
    RHR
    Rahal

Ed Carpenter is going to obviously be doing the ovals as long as his name is on the door.

Who else am I missing?
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    Well everyone thinks that Andretti will decide Honda or Chevy for next year at Gateway.

I can think of

Power
    Newgarden
    Pagenaud
    Dixon
    RHR
    Rahal

Ed Carpenter is going to obviously be doing the ovals as long as his name is on the door.

Who else am I missing?
    Bourdais is on a multi year contract with Coyne and Chaves is under contract with Harding for what they run.

Marco is pretty safe. He's certainly not a free agent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy499 View Post
    Marco is pretty safe. He's certainly not a free agent.
    These days it seems as if even Marco might not be safe. Robin Miller said there were rumors going around saying that Marco might be an Indy only driver. Even though Robin seems to doubt it for those rumors to have hit Robin's ear I can't help but think that Micheal might have passed this idea through his head at least once.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Marco announced yesterday that he lead his 1000th lap. So this means he is good to go for another 10 years...pfft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    Bourdais is on a multi year contract with Coyne and Chaves is under contract with Harding for what they run.
    Jenna Fryer suggested a few days back that Bourdais wasn't racing Pocono or Gateway due to Coyne needing additional $.

Bourdais was cleared & implied a bit later that his wife wouldn't like his first race back being an oval. Fryer said that was Seb being diplomatic with his comments about the situation.

Given how fast Bourdais was at IMS before that wreck & him working so hard to get back early it seems likely that Coyne had to see the seat for a few races to offset the major crash damage they've had this year.

I do remember Bourdais signing a multi-year contract but as we've seen many times in racing they don't necessarily mean a whole lot if the driver doesn't bring the sponsor.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    These days it seems as if even Marco might not be safe. Robin Miller said there were rumors going around saying that Marco might be an Indy only driver. Even though Robin seems to doubt it for those rumors to have hit Robin's ear I can't help but think that Micheal might have passed this idea through his head at least once.
    I'm confident the Marco "rumors" were connected to the whole engine negotiation, and in no way reality as a threat to drive full time if he still wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Noonan View Post
    Jenna Fryer suggested a few days back that Bourdais wasn't racing Pocono or Gateway due to Coyne needing additional $.

Bourdais was cleared & implied a bit later that his wife wouldn't like his first race back being an oval. Fryer said that was Seb being diplomatic with his comments about the situation.

Given how fast Bourdais was at IMS before that wreck & him working so hard to get back early it seems likely that Coyne had to see the seat for a few races to offset the major crash damage they've had this year.

I do remember Bourdais signing a multi-year contract but as we've seen many times in racing they don't necessarily mean a whole lot if the driver doesn't bring the sponsor.
    Bourdais did bring Geico, if I remember correctly.

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post

I can think of

Power
    Newgarden
    Pagenaud
    Dixon
    RHR
    Rahal

Who else am I missing?
    There are 9 full-timers confirmed.

Chaves was the one you're forgetting, he was confirmed at Pocono for the full 2018 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_I...ms_and_drivers
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 20 Wins---92 Podiums---17 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit World Record 27 Consecutive Points Finishes

Brazilian media saying TK will go to Schmidt, but TK just twited "You know nothing, innocent" in portuguese obviously linked to that news
    Religion can't save. Jesus can because He loves you!

and I am an IRLholic
    Quote Originally Posted by WillMazeo View Post
    Brazilian media saying TK will go to Schmidt, but TK just twited "You know nothing, innocent" in portuguese obviously linked to that news
    There has also been a rumor of TK going to Foyt, not saying I believe it, but it is a rumor, so it's official.
    “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” -- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerDealer View Post
    There has also been a rumor of TK going to Foyt, not saying I believe it, but it is a rumor, so it's official.
    That was rumored last year as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCguy View Post
    Marco announced yesterday that he lead his 1000th lap. So this means he is good to go for another 10 years...pfft.
    Theres like three Marco hate threads from this summer alone, go find one of them. Is there really a need to clutter up every thread with the same inane BS.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    August 21st is not "early" for silly season talks, my friend.

The season is just weeks from finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Consider that those rumors could not be coming from within AA but from someone who represents or is connected to a driver who would like to see Marco as an Indy only driver because thee guy is angling for a full time AA ride. And when thinking about taking Marco out of a full time ride how would the folks at Pocono feel about having their big local marketing driver absent.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelerDealer View Post
    They could use him. The Nose knows well what a good team functions like.
    You used to need 750hp to win the Indy 500, now you get that much in a Corvette and you get a factory warranty....Jay Leno

Rumor but Heard that Andretti most likely will stay with Honda.

Wonder if Chevy just not bringing enough cash?
    (Go Chevy leads to losing two drivers and two cars on the grid from Andretti)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post

Or maybe Honda came up with more cash?

Blog Entries
    I'd love to see Kanaan race at Foyt.

Blog Entries
    Kyle Kaiser will be in a few races it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    I'd love to see Kanaan race at Foyt.
    Why, so you can see his career end once and for all? Foyt is where careers go to die.
    Last edited by DaveL; 08-25-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post

I had not heard that. However, I had heard that evaluating the Chevy vs. Honda offers was not a simple matter of adding up numbers and seeing what was on the bottom line. There are lots of scenarios. Lots of balls that need to be kept aloft.

I also would expect that Chevy would want AA to commit to three cars for the season and four or five for indy.

When someone says "Chevy threw money at AA" or "Honda threw money at Ganassi", it always comes with some strings attached or commitments in return. I have seen one current racing contract, and it is more complex than you might think.

It's not as simple as an Indycar team going to the Honda or Chevy store and buying an engine program off a shelf.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Why, so you can see his career once and for all? Foyt is where careers go to die.
    Well in a more perfect world, the team would reorganize, hire a capable technical manager, and the Nose would lead them back to respectability, at least on ovals. Yes that's probably about as likely as Salma Hayek dumping her billionaire husband and calling me for a date....

I am assuming that we will hear a lot more rumblings this weekend....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Why, so you can see his career once and for all? Foyt is where careers go to die.
    Takuma Sato just won Indy right?

Besides, the series is more interesting when talent is spread around instead of concentrated at the top. Kanaan is about the best driver you could get into a Foyt car, and his career is about done anyway.

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L8TBRKR View Post
    I am assuming that we will hear a lot more rumblings this weekend....
    They say that every weekend and nothing happens.

On the Marshall Pruett podcast he said he heard Zach Veech has a 3 year 18 million dollar deal. That seems like a lot and not sure I believe it.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by dakinca View Post
    On the Marshall Pruett podcast he said he heard Zach Veech has a 3 year 18 million dollar deal. That seems like a lot and not sure I believe it.
    That's impressive...anybody know the funding source?

Adam Stern at SBJ tweeted that the hot options being prospected for motorsports sponsors are currently:
    —Municipalities
    —Colleges
    —Health care
    —Startups
    —Medical marijuana

I heard some rumblings last month that Veach was going to Andretti because he had some big bucks coming in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakinca View Post
    It seems like young American drivers are getting better at finding sponsors these days. Graham, Kimball, and Conor Daly are a few examples. Never know, maybe Zach was at the right place at the right time and said the right things and worked out. If this is true I'm happy for Zach even though I don't he's the most talented driver out there.