Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conor and Rossi on CBS's Amazing Race 30

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    I sorta get where your coming from but you are coming off as a bit pompous...
    So kind...
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Yeah, out of all the "reality" competition shows, Amazing Race is the only one* that's ever struck me as somewhat dignified in its promos and concept, although I've never watched an episode -- yet.

*Although I've never watched more than a minute of the other ones, I've unfortunately heard enough about them and seen enough ads to get an idea.
    In promos and concept... maybe.

Some of the contestants they've had are among the most noxious to walk the Earth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    In promos and concept... maybe.

Some of the contestants they've had are among the most noxious to walk the Earth.
    It makes it easier to develop rooting and anti/rooting interests. Haven't watched in a long time, but the wife and I used to watch years ago. We'll watch as much of this as we can without cable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    I sorta get where your coming from but you are coming off as a bit pompous. I hate the Kardashians/Bravo network trash but I don't roll my eyebrows at friends who like them.

Anyways I watched it, scenery was pretty sweet that and the IC guys will get me to keep coming back.
    a bit? at least he admitted he isn't normal.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Glad to see they made it past episode 1. Conor's derping doesn't give me much hope that they make it very far, as well as the fact that it's looking less and less likely that he'll be FT next season, but we'll see!

Ratings likely to go down now that the two bombshells are gone

Was that the two bikini-clad ladies I saw in the promo?

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderless View Post
    Was that the two bikini-clad ladies I saw in the promo?
    Correct - they're ring girls for the WWE

I'm surprised there isn't a reality show for pole dancers.

Look, it didn't have the beautiful photography of shows like Top Gear and now Grand Tour. There was no narrative, it was poorly edited, rushed, had too many participants and there was really no way to tell who was leading, and the editing was intentionally deceptive. There was 22 people in the first episode, and the dialogue was horrible. Like when those that one gay guy was encouraging his partner to cross a zipline and was like, "You ate a bunch of hot dogs, you can do this." Also, the stakes were super low. It's like, "Run dude, we've got a one-in-eleven chance of being eliminated this episode." There was only a 9 percent chance of Conor and Alex being eliminated in the first episode, a 10 percent chance in the second, and the worst odds they'll ever face is 25 percent, and then at the end you've got a 33 percent chance of winning. With those odds you don't even need to be a better than average player to make it to the final three. I play a lot of poker, those are incredibly good odds, and hugely low stakes.

I'll watch the occasional season of Survivor on Amazon prime, because while it's bad, it's at least entertaining. They do a better job with the narrative and casting, and it's at least entertaining
    Last edited by Aeron; 01-05-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkiel View Post
    It makes it easier to develop rooting and anti/rooting interests. Haven't watched in a long time, but the wife and I used to watch years ago. We'll watch as much of this as we can without cable.
    Someone tell that to Hell's Kitchen.

I don't know how the contestants on shows like Survivor manage with only a cameraman, sound engineer, lighting technician, production manager and assistant in the immediate area.

Easier for this poster to suspend disbelief for a movie...perhaps it's just me.

Is Conor afraid of heights? I noticed that so far Alex has done everything involving being up high.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_clem View Post
    Is Conor afraid of heights? I noticed that so far Alex has done everything involving being up high.
    I believe in one of the preview clips Conor did mention being afraid of heights.

It's funny how somebody who willingly pilots race cars at 230 mph can be afraid of heights.

That's not being critical, or questioning his person-hood in anyway. It's just funny.

I don't have any phobias, except one inexplicable fear of certain types of animals. It happens.
    The minimum safe following distance on the road is two seconds, no matter how important/skilled you feel you are. This doesn't change if you think the person in front of you is driving too slow. These truths are non-negotiable.

It's funny how somebody who willingly pilots race cars at 230 mph can be afraid of heights.

That's not being critical, or questioning his person-hood in anyway. It's just funny.

I don't have any phobias, except one inexplicable fear of certain types of animals. It happens.
    I am beyond petrified of heights!! but not terrified of snakes or anything else really.... i must have been dropped on my head a couple times as a child

... by the way! it's great to see you back Ren! is it too early for a Indy 500 weather forecast!? haha
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

I have an extra-ordinary aversion for any music by Bruce Hornsby. Unexplainable and extreme it causes for me acute anxiety
    I have spent more time here than I did in school.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    ... by the way! it's great to see you back Ren! is it too early for a Indy 500 weather forecast!? haha
    High of 76, low of 56, 0.15 inches of rain.

(That's the historical average for May 27, so that's what I'm going with for now. )

High of 76, low of 56, 0.15 inches of rain.

(That's the historical average for May 27, so that's what I'm going with for now. )
    LOVE it! racing season will be here before we know it, hope all is well with you! I look forward to your weather knowledge this upcoming May

Insider
    I had never watched The Amazing Race until this season, but I don't typically watch reality shows. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea. I could get into Dancing With The Stars when Helio and Hinch were on, but I'm struggling to get into The Amazing Race. I don't know what it is, but I'm just really struggling to stay interested. Perhaps it's because Rossi and Daly look like they're about to be eliminated in every scene they do...
    Be a better driver, move right except to pass.

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    I had never watched The Amazing Race until this season, but I don't typically watch reality shows. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea. I could get into Dancing With The Stars when Helio and Hinch were on, but I'm struggling to get into The Amazing Race. I don't know what it is, but I'm just really struggling to stay interested. Perhaps it's because Rossi and Daly look like they're about to be eliminated in every scene they do...
    They didn't get much air time last night. It made it difficult for me to watch. After they made it through I basically fast forwarded to the end to see who was eliminated.

I've heard that in times past drivers wouldn't drive green cars or wouldn't tolerate peanuts around so a driver being afraid of heights is not odd.

Alex and Conor haven't gotten much screen time. Maybe they are focusing on the teams eliminated early and they will get plenty of coverage at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    They didn't get much air time last night. It made it difficult for me to watch. After they made it through I basically fast forwarded to the end to see who was eliminated.
    First time watching the show this season too and I am taking the same approach. Not sure how they went from last in the ladder climbing thing to 5th by the end of the show. Some teams were trying to decipher a language while Daly and Rossi valued diamonds (?). Most of the clips of the teams seem to only be a few seconds at a time so it makes fast forwarding difficult. Hopefully they make it far and with less and less teams, it's inevitable they'll get more air time.
    "You just don't know what Indy means."
    -Al Unser Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by F1 and IndyCar View Post
    First time watching the show this season too and I am taking the same approach. Not sure how they went from last in the ladder climbing thing to 5th by the end of the show. Some teams were trying to decipher a language while Daly and Rossi valued diamonds (?). Most of the clips of the teams seem to only be a few seconds at a time so it makes fast forwarding difficult. Hopefully they make it far and with less and less teams, it's inevitable they'll get more air time.

They got the estimate right on the first try while others took several tries and at least one team gave up and went to try the printing press challenge.

The object of that was to set the type correctly for the message. The message had to be translated. It was their next clue.

Blog Entries
    They should be driving racecars somewhere
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    I used to regularly watch the Amazing Race until a few years ago, and for some reason I agree with you that this season so far it's been hard to hold my attention apart from the scenes with Team Indycar. I think it'll get better and more watchable as more teams are eliminated and they can focus on fewer teams for a longer period of time.

I found the show very interesting. It is absolutely uncanny how closely the contestant Jen Hudak resembles Michael Schumacher.

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar
    Conor and Alex have been doing a few things to promote themselves and the show; in one of the places one of them explained better what happened in this episode.

After they climbed the rope ladder, they had the choice to estimate diamond values or to do the printing press activity. So they made up their deficit on a lot of teams by choosing the diamonds and completing it efficiently.

Then when either of those challenges was completed, the teams went to the frites (french fries) race.

I'm struggling to watch but I expect Conor and Alex will get more airtime as teams drop out. And the extra scenes on the show's YouTube page help a lot to flesh out what happened during the episode.

Blog Entries
    The one thing I get from watching this is Rossi is a bit smarter than Daly.

I'm not trying to be mean to Daly, just it's how they come off on the show.

The two of them are representing Indycar well. Tonight's show was in Morocco and one member of each team did a lot of running around. Former NBA star Cedric Ceballos who's admittedly pretty old was exhausted from everything, Daly meanwhile is running around not breaking a sweat and him and Rossi talk about how outsiders don't understand how fit racecar drivers have to be.

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    The one thing I get from watching this is Rossi is a bit smarter than Daly.

I'm not trying to be mean to Daly, just it's how they come off on the show.

The two of them are representing Indycar well. Tonight's show was in Morocco and one member of each team did a lot of running around. Former NBA star Cedric Ceballos who's admittedly pretty old was exhausted from everything, Daly meanwhile is running around not breaking a sweat and him and Rossi talk about how outsiders don't understand how fit racecar drivers have to be.
    I don't know if Rossi is smarter. I did get the feeling that he is more anal. I think the reason they came out of the first challenge so far behind is that Rossi insisted on it being perfect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I don't know if Rossi is smarter. I did get the feeling that he is more anal. I think the reason they came out of the first challenge so far behind is that Rossi insisted on it being perfect.
    From the week before when they were in Antwerp look at their interaction doing the diamond grading.