Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    random idea, maybe Gary Peterson and AFS should put their $$$ behind a driver known to finish and finish in the top ten at Indy. Sponsor Danica, as opposed to Saavedra who has never once shown me any glimpse of promise
    Never once.

Just wait 'till next year!

Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    Never once.

and how did that turn out for him again?? oh yea

World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Never once.

also I should have been more specific, I was referring to Indy only.

Saavedra, best start: 24, best finish of 15th, wrecked out of: 3 '500s and DNQ in 2011

Danica, best start: 4th, best finish of 3rd, wrecked out of: 0 and never DNQ at Indy

also I should have been more specific, I was referring to Indy only.

Saavedra, best start: 24, best finish of 15th, wrecked out of: 3 '500s and DNQ in 2011

Danica, best start: 4th, best finish of 3rd, wrecked out of: 0 and never DNQ at Indy
    Wouldn't the year her and Briscoe tangled in the pits count as wrecked out? Or do you mean 100% her fault smack the wall kind of thing?
    Keep in mind, I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by mattf765 View Post
    Wouldn't the year her and Briscoe tangled in the pits count as wrecked out? Or do you mean 100% her fault smack the wall kind of thing?
    technically you are correct, as she was listed out due to "contact", despite it not being her fault. so i stand corrected, thank you.

Danica Patrick is a good driver at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway who should be in the Indy 500, but it is really, really tiring to keep seeing people get mad at supporters of IndyCar racing over who they choose to back. Look, the fact anyone is still sponsoring IndyCars is getting the point of being charity. The ROI is awful. We should probably be more appreciative of someone like Gary Peterson who has continued to be involved in IndyCar racing, but instead, we're constantly ragging on the guy for choosing to back SebastiŠn Saavedra.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    Danica Patrick is a good driver at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway who should be in the Indy 500, but it is really, really tiring to keep seeing people get mad at supporters of IndyCar racing over who they choose to back. Look, the fact anyone is still sponsoring IndyCars is getting the point of being charity. The ROI is awful. We should probably be more appreciative of someone like Gary Peterson who has continued to be involved in IndyCar racing, but instead, we're constantly ragging on the guy for choosing to back SebastiŠn Saavedra.
    he keeps throwing his $$ away on him every year with no results to show. I love Gary, I just don't understand his rationale for doing it, if I were in his shoes capable of sponsoring an entry, I'd sponsor somebody who is much more capable of running up front. Apparently Gary is content with running at the back

Hires like Sebastian Saavedra is the reason why no one is interested in Indycar anymore
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Hires like Sebastian Saavedra is the reason why no one is interested in Indycar anymore
    oh ok

oh ok
    he's got a point. It's one thing if its a foreigner running up front competing for wins.. examples: Kanaan, Castroneves, Franchitti, Dixon of whom I have seen many fans wearing their gear before... but other than Gary P, I'm not sure i've ever seen or met a Saavedra fan. I couldn't care less about a drivers nationality but plenty others do, I just care about talent, and I just don't see it in Saavedra.

Look, I know I caught some flack in a thread I started for some immature nicknames/comments about Danica but in truth, I don't have anything against her other than I haven't cared for a few of her tantrums over the years. While she does have a decent history at IMS and does have a series win(albeit due to some questionable race strategy by Helio), I take issue with her seemingly announcing to the world that she would be racing in both 500's without clearly having lined up a ride in either. That seems rather conceited to me and full of entitlement. Would it be good for ratings to have her at Indy? Of course. Does NASCAR care either way if she's at Daytona? I highly doubt it.

I'm very curious to know what rationalizations were made by her team and by Danica herself when they decided to go ahead with announcing her intentions.

he's got a point. It's one thing if its a foreigner running up front competing for wins.. examples: Kanaan, Castroneves, Franchitti, Dixon of whom I have seen many fans wearing their gear before... but other than Gary P, I'm not sure i've ever seen or met a Saavedra fan. I couldn't care less about a drivers nationality but plenty others do, I just care about talent, and I just don't see it in Saavedra.
    The fans only matter if you are in racing to sell a product directly to the fans.

AFS mostly sells to "developers, property managers, facility owners, and commercial clients."

They are not in racing for you to buy something from them or to wear their shirt around or whatever. So, Gary can run whoever he likes to go racing with, and whether we understand it or not, that's SebastiŠn Saavedra. I'm just glad he continues to spend money in racing.

I'm very curious to know what rationalizations were made by her team and by Danica herself when they decided to go ahead with announcing her intentions.
    I think the goal was to announce to her fans that it (Homestead-Miami) would be her final race as a full-time driver, but that she still planned to run the Daytona and Indy 500s. Unfortunately, they worded it poorly and made it seem far more certain that she would be in those races than it is.

The correct thing to do was to say it would be her last race as a full-time driver, but that she was working on a ride for both the Daytona and Indy 500s and hoped to end her driving career that way. They were close!

They obviously couldn't say nothing; it would be unfair to her fans to just run Homestead and disappear. And they couldn't just say that it was her last race, but make no mention of Daytona/Indy, as it's obviously important for her marketing that her fans and followers stay on the lookout for those plans (as opposed to just disengaging from her and auto racing).

Blog Entries
    Maybe this team finally will make its appearance in May.

Not to start a totally unsubstantiated rumor or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Mdwfan View Post
    Danica remains an incredibly recognizable name in the sports world (she would be the most well known entry, by a wide margin), so her inability to attract suitable sponsorship would be a telling and very negative commentary on the popularity of the 500. The powers that be at IMS know that well and will never let it come to that. If she wants to run the race, she’ll have a car. Guaranteed.

But she wanted a Ganassi car though
    Last edited by DamonG19; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 PM.

I like Saavedra. Good kid!
    We flipped our finger to the King of England
    Stole our country from the Indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own!

Barbarian Village- America's premier 55 + community.
    This whole thing goes to heck in a handbasket if Danica and Alonso can't make it.

Danica remains an incredibly recognizable name in the sports world (she would be the most well known entry, by a wide margin), so her inability to attract suitable sponsorship would be a telling and very negative commentary on the popularity of the 500. The powers that be at IMS know that well and will never let it come to that. If she wants to run the race, she’ll have a car. Guaranteed.
    By this logic, her lack of a ride for Daytona is "a telling and very negative commentary on the popularity of the Daytona 500".

The more logical explanation is that it is Danica's popularity and sponsorship potential that has declined, at least within the racing world. Which is why she no longer has a NASCAR ride.

Look, I know I caught some flack in a thread I started for some immature nicknames/comments about Danica but in truth, I don't have anything against her other than I haven't cared for a few of her tantrums over the years. While she does have a decent history at IMS and does have a series win(albeit due to some questionable race strategy by Helio), I take issue with her seemingly announcing to the world that she would be racing in both 500's without clearly having lined up a ride in either. That seems rather conceited to me and full of entitlement. Would it be good for ratings to have her at Indy? Of course. Does NASCAR care either way if she's at Daytona? I highly doubt it.

To be fair, that my have been a deliberate strategy to stir up media attention and sponsor interest, rather than vanity or entitlement.

I couldn't care less if she is in the race or not to be honest. I just think IMS will make sure she is, like it or not, she draws ratings and IMS/Hulman want the '500 ratings to go up especially now that we are negotiating for a better TV deal. because of those reasons she will be in the race, and I wish her well.

44 posts, you kinda care a little.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    To be fair, that my have been a deliberate strategy to stir up media attention and sponsor interest, rather than vanity or entitlement.

Danica and her team presented the offer to Chip on Thursday at Homestead the day before she made her announcements on Friday, Chip obviously let them know he had interest because he mentioned the meeting the next day after the media caught up with him.

So she made her Daytona-Indy announcement with a certainty that she expected it would get done with Ganassi, problem is they didn't get into the business side of it, which is what Chip referenced back in December when he said it wasn't going to happen and yesterday same thing was echoed by Ganassi President Steve Lauletta.

The more logical explanation is that it is Danica's popularity and sponsorship potential that has declined, at least within the racing world. Which is why she no longer has a NASCAR ride.

Sure, in NASCAR when you're talking about her having just 7 top 10 finishes in 190 starts, an average finish of 24.1, never finishing higher than 24th in points and you're trying to pitch that to sponsors for a 36 race season, but for a one off? No.

Look at the Indycar teams who have gone on record about this.

Andretti - Choose Carlos Munoz, despite not announcing sponsorship over Danica. Personal preference.

Penske- Not enough room, made their intentions clear that Homestead weekend.

Ganassi- Wanted to do it, couldn't agree on the business terms (most likely how much she wants to get paid vs what they're willing to pay), but nothing was said about a lack of sponsorship.

Schmidt- Called Danica a distraction, didn't have conversations about her. Again, no sponsorship talk mentioned, just a matter of personal preference.
    Last edited by DamonG19; 01-12-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Insider
    Can't wait to see this place when she gets the DRR ride, and Sage is pushed to the sidelines...

Or she takes the 3rd Foyt entry and AJ punches out TJ...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Going Green View Post
    Tried to search around to see if the subject has been broached already by others but didn't see anything -- but who knows? Saw an article that Danica is getting tight with Aaron Rodgers. Pals, dating, serious, marraige?.
    She was spotted with him in GB at his favorite restaurant.

Just asking--would she abandon the whole idea if Daytona doesn't happen?
    Most auto racing is a massive house of cards.
    Enjoy it while it stands.

By this logic, her lack of a ride for Daytona is "a telling and very negative commentary on the popularity of the Daytona 500".

The distinction, of course, is that she's been highly competitive at Indy, while no one would give her a chance of running close to the front at Daytona. She'd be a much bigger fish in the Indy pond as opposed to the Daytona one, which is why she's very likely to be running the race in May rather than the one in February.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Never once.

Give me a break. This pole was not earned by the kid having outright fast speed. Being on the right tires at the right time is what got this kid this pole.

The only thing more ludicrous than this post is saying that Sage "should have" had a pole at Detroit before a red flag call.

The distinction, of course, is that she's been highly competitive at Indy, while no one would give her a chance of running close to the front at Daytona. She'd be a much bigger fish in the Indy pond as opposed to the Daytona one, which is why she's very likely to be running the race in May rather than the one in February.
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    This whole thing goes to heck in a handbasket if Danica and Alonso can't make it.
    What "thing," and what does Alonso have to do with it?

Barbarian Village- America's premier 55 + community.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    What "thing," and what does Alonso have to do with it?
    The thing is the 2018 Indy 500. Without Danica and Alonso, is it worth even running the event?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Red View Post
    Do you have a picture of her with the checkered flag from that race?

To me at this point, is the Daytona 500 is getting tough as the race is month or so away and there do not seem to be any rides that are top or mid level with an entry guarantee. Yes, deals can be made, but seems late and that money matters more than ever in NASCAR.

Indycar will likely be a lot easier to find a ride, thanks to IMS, but it likely won't be a top seat, but you never know.

The big thing here, not being an insider in the sponsor talks, seems to be most are trying to find money for regular season entries for NASCAR and it is difficult and this is on this on top of that despite being incremental to run another car. Still amazes me that Matt Kenseth isn't running next year and Kurt Busch had to adjust his salary.

What prospects are there for both races at this point?

NASCAR:
    Chartered teams - Childress has a spot, the rest are small teams that need money, which RCR probably does too
    A non-chartered extra entry from a chartered team - i.e. race to get in - who's left or is willing to get another car added who can - all the big teams are full or said no
    A non-chartered team - less competitive

Indycar:
    As mentioned, most of the top teams are full or said no
    Foyt, Carlin, Junco, Coyne, or D&R running an extra car? Not much left.

Am I missing anything else?