Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

h.
    "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
    -Norman Mailer-

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    She will have a ride for Indy 100%. It's just a matter of which team. And I would certainly not rule out Ganassi. Wouldn't be the first time he deliberately put out phony information.

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    It will happen.

Honda and IMS at least will not let this one slip through the cracks.

Bet on it.
    Just wait 'till next year!

Total speculation on my part, but reading into Chip's comments, he doesn't see funding on the horizon.

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Openracer View Post
    Total speculation on my part, but reading into Chip's comments, he doesn't see funding on the horizon.
    Or he's fishing for extra funds from IMS.

domed
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    She will have a ride for Indy 100%. It's just a matter of which team. And I would certainly not rule out Ganassi. Wouldn't be the first time he deliberately put out phony information.
    The moment Chip says something isn't going to happen it officially becomes a possibility. I understand he has his reasons but to write anything off based on his public comments is unwise. The switch back to Honda and Brendon Hartley buy out are other recent examples I can think of.

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E Nasty View Post
    The moment Chip says something isn't going to happen it officially becomes a possibility. I understand he has his reasons but to write anything off based on his public comments is unwise. The switch back to Honda and Brendon Hartley buy out are other recent examples I can think of.
    Exactly. I remember Chip asking a reporter where they "get this stuff from" after he was asked about switching to Honda. Chip insinuated it was totally made up. Of course, not long after, he made the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Openracer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Or he's fishing for extra funds from IMS.
    Just loved this comment from that article:

Danica : well, you just pay me two million and it’s a deal
    Ganassi: no, you pay ME three million and it’s a deal
    Talk stalled.......

So, who could do it.....Stewart, Andretti, Ganassi, Roush (Ford guy), Penske (unlikely)...the team is not the issue; those can be found in either series. As usual, it is the money..... who could sell more Ford cars: Almirolla (who?) or Patrick (gaggle of women followers)....

Answer to the OP’s question. No.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    Why would she hold a press conference saying she's going to participate in these races if she didn't have a ride? Did she just assume that because she's Danica the offers/sponsors would just come rolling in?
    Perhaps.

Or maybe the certainty was because if the worst comes to the worst, she intends to fund a ride herself (she's certainly rich enough for that to be quite affordable). That would have a certain ironic appropriateness to it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Worst case scenario she has a family connection to Dreyer & Reinbold. She might not get a ride with a top team but she'll be on the grid somewhere.

That's not a bad worst scenario either as her brother in law Chase Selman is the team manager there, plus when you compare how Sage Karam did on the speedchart vs the eventual winner Sato during practice, I'd say DRR is up there as a team outside Penske/Ganassi/Andretti that can seriously contend on race day, especially if they can form a technical alliance with Ed Carpenter's team to try and focus on qualifying a bit better.

5/15- Sato 10, Karam 14

5/16- Karam 5, Sato 6

5/17- Karam 17, Sato 18

5/18- Karam 6, Sato 9

5/19- Sato 3, Karam 26

5/22 (Monday)- Sato 5, Karam 8

5/26 (Carb Day)- Sato 2, Karam 18

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    It's hard to imagine that DP is demanding to get paid big bucks for her last shot at an Indy 500 win.

If I were her with all that dough she already has in the bank, I would gladly race for one of the top teams for just a percentage of the winnings.

But then again, perhaps I am underestimating the situation and she really does want a guaranteed big paycheck.

No matter how you look at it, any company that is willing to sponsor her car will get a guaranteed big exposure. That part shouldn't be hard to find.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Insider
    Blog Entries
    I had wondered about the Ganassi rumors. I know of 2 female drivers that Ganassi has turned down in the past. No, I am not going to name them.
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

I missed the story that she is demanding big money. Could someone link me?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    Perhaps.

Or maybe the certainty was because if the worst comes to the worst, she intends to fund a ride herself (she's certainly rich enough for that to be quite affordable). That would have a certain ironic appropriateness to it ...
    Gotta invest in your "brand."

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    I missed the story that she is demanding big money. Could someone link me?
    there was no story- just some speculation in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    there was no story- just some speculation in this thread
    Aha. Thanks.

This just in- In an outstanding and unselfish display of international cooperation and sportspersonship, Takuma Sato is offering his seat to American race car driver Danica Patrick for the 102nd running of the Indy 500.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    Did she just assume that because she's Danica the offers/sponsors would just come rolling in?
    In other news the sky is blue and water is wet.

The way stuff like this goes, it's always best not to make announcements until the ink has dried on the contracts. She's fallen into that announcing-an-announcement trend that everyone seems to do these days. Which doesn't really bother me anyways, I'd be thrilled if nobody wants to put her in a car. She wants to replicate Alonso-mania and it won't happen. She already alienated most of any self-respecting fans the sport had left when she gave up something she was passionate about to run 35th and collect nascarbucks every week.
    77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
    - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

[QUOTE=fastmaster26;4293957 She wants to replicate Alonso-mania and it won't happen.[/QUOTE]

Yes, its going to be real hard for Danica to achieve the basement floor of an all-time record low TV rating like 'Alonso mania' created

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017...-beats-nascar/

For the fourth time in less than a decade, the Indy 500 fell to a record-low.
    The IndyCar Series Indianapolis 500 earned a 3.4 final rating and 5.5 million viewers on ABC Sunday afternoon, down 13% in ratings and 9% in viewership from last year (3.9, 6.0M), down 19% and 16% respectively from 2015 (4.2, 6.3M), and the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    True ... and Indy is enough of a crap shoot that almost any team could win it.
    Hardly a crap shoot. For the past 10 years the winning car has come from three teams: AA, Ganassi, or Penske. The only exceptions are BHR (2011) and KVR (2013).

Quote Originally Posted by DamonG19 View Post
    Yes, its going to be real hard for Danica to achieve the basement floor of an all-time record low TV rating like 'Alonso mania' created

Well I wouldn't rule it out. While ratings bounce around from year to year, the overall trend is ever lower. Not sure even a successful Danica will change that.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

Quote Originally Posted by Buellboy View Post
    Hardly a crap shoot. For the past 10 years the winning car has come from three teams: AA, Ganassi, or Penske. The only exceptions are BHR (2011) and KVR (2013).
    Interesting - I hadn't realized that.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonG19 View Post
    That's not a bad worst scenario either as her brother in law Chase Selman is the team manager there, plus when you compare how Sage Karam did on the speedchart vs the eventual winner Sato during practice, I'd say DRR is up there as a team outside Penske/Ganassi/Andretti that can seriously contend on race day, especially if they can form a technical alliance with Ed Carpenter's team to try and focus on qualifying a bit better.

5/15- Sato 10, Karam 14

5/16- Karam 5, Sato 6

5/17- Karam 17, Sato 18

5/18- Karam 6, Sato 9

5/19- Sato 3, Karam 26

5/22 (Monday)- Sato 5, Karam 8

5/26 (Carb Day)- Sato 2, Karam 18
    Really, you are going to use practice times (including a tow) to show that Sage/DRR are competitive? And even think it works when Sage was an average of 7 spots behind Sato per day? That is a serious stretch.

I'm not saying DRR can't be competitive, but this is not the way to show that.

Dogecar where are you, Danica may need you.
    "We did it Reddit!" needs to be spoken once again.

The more posts I read about Danica Patrick from some of the posters here, the more I absolutely need her to win the Indy 500. Segments of this fan base really, really, really deserve someone they under-appreciate (to put it nicely) coming in after a failed NASCAR career and torching the field.

[Unfortunately, I don't think she will].

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    The more posts I read about Danica Patrick from some of the posters here, the more I absolutely need her to win the Indy 500. Segments of this fan base really, really, really deserve someone they under-appreciate (to put it nicely) coming in after a failed NASCAR career and torching the field.

[Unfortunately, I don't think she will].
    Why do you need her to win?
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by window View Post
    Why do you need her to win?
    To laugh at the overreaction of this forum if she did.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    To laugh at the overreaction of this forum if she did.
    You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you - Bob Dylan