Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Blog Entries
    I’ve never been a fan of Danica and never rooted for her. But I have to admit, after reading this thread, I am rooting for her just a little bit more.

If Danica comes back and wins the Indy 500 , there will be no such thing as an over-reaction.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    The biggest slap in the face for Danica honestly will be if Ganassi turns around and puts Kyle Larson on the grid for his first double.

The title of this thread does not match the content of the article. Just because it isn't going to happen at Ganassi doesn't mean she's out of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    If Danica comes back and wins the Indy 500 , there will be no such thing as an over-reaction.
    Danica showed her true level of talent over the last several years in stock cars. She's good but mostly at a mid pack level. The only tracks she ever really looked good at were the restrictor plate tracks where she didn't have to do anything but keep her right foot down.

Her driving skill set has always lent itself well to Indianapolis which in the downforce/horsepower limited era has become by far the easiest track to drive on the circuit. Just like Danica's best tracks in NASCAR she won't have to do anything at Indy but keep her throttle foot down and do some drafting.

If she is with a top team that has top engineering (which is the real key to anyone running fast at IMS) Danica can definitely win the 500.

After she threw her Andretti team under the bus with her "It's not my fault" PA interview, I lost ALL respect for her as a driver.

Her talk about making a "brand" told me she was only about the $$$. Then when she went to NAPcrap
    in an obvious money grab, I thought good riddance!

Go away Danica, your time has come and thankfully gone!

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    The title of this thread does not match the content of the article. Just because it isn't going to happen at Ganassi doesn't mean she's out of a ride.
    And the linked article doesn’t mean it won’t happen with Ganassi.

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglenindy View Post
    After she threw her Andretti team under the bus with her "It's not my fault" PA interview, I lost ALL respect for her as a driver.

!
    you know what...the very next year...her teamate RHR had to buy a Foyt Entry to get into the 500....that's where he lost my respect.....Maybe she wasn't so off base.
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Let me begin by saying that as much as I'd like to see a woman win the 500, I would really prefer that it was Pippa, Simona, Kat, Bia...

However, I'm not going to trash Danica based on her Nascar finishes. Other than Stewart (who came out of the sprint car ranks), NONE of the Indy car drivers who've tried Nascar have set the world on fire. (Montoya did set the jet dryer on fire, but that's entirely different!) If you're going to say that Danica has no talent just based on her stock car driving, then Dario, Hornish, Montoya, A.J. and others don't look so good, either. It seems to be a different skill set (especially for those who came out of a road racing background), and quite honestly it appears to be easier to go from stocks to Indy cars rather than vice versa, at least on ovals.
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Blog Entries
    You're making entirely too much sense for this thread, Deb. Stop it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debdrake View Post
    Let me begin by saying that as much as I'd like to see a woman win the 500, I would really prefer that it was Pippa, Simona, Kat, Bia...

However, I'm not going to trash Danica based on her Nascar finishes. Other than Stewart (who came out of the sprint car ranks), NONE of the Indy car drivers who've tried Nascar have set the world on fire. (Montoya did set the jet dryer on fire, but that's entirely different!) If you're going to say that Danica has no talent just based on her stock car driving, then Dario, Hornish, Montoya, A.J. and others don't look so good, either. It seems to be a different skill set (especially for those who came out of a road racing background), and quite honestly it appears to be easier to go from stocks to Indy cars rather than vice versa, at least on ovals.
    +2
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727 View Post
    The biggest slap in the face for Danica honestly will be if Ganassi turns around and puts Kyle Larson on the grid for his first double.
    My understanding is that's part of Larson's contract so it has to happen this coming year or next.
    TrackForum.com Beating dead horses since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    ICS/HG will make 33 happen, and no doubt in my mind that one way or another she'll be one of those. The series wants the exposure. I don't see that as a positive though.
    There will be 33 (only), for sure. Danica one of them? That's a different prospect.

She is a competent driver with some name recognition, but she is not a level where she can just announce and the fight is on to sign her for the two biggest races in North America. Especially if she is looking for a competitive one-off in both. That's a very tall order.

SMH. Young Money is THE rising star in Nascar and the cornerstone of any chance Ganassi has of ever shaking the mediocre label in that series. Giving Kyle what he wants is of much greater importance than any possible deal with the princess.
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Blog Entries
    As one of his current young and employed drivers, I'd hope he would put Larson in the 500 over her.

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    you know what...the very next year...her teamate RHR had to buy a Foyt Entry to get into the 500....that's where he lost my respect.....Maybe she wasn't so off base.
    Really petty attitude towards RHR. Not so sure the ride was "bought" so much as "offered" to Ryan. Give credit where credit is due when Foyt demonstrated a level of professionalism seldom seen these days. He knew full well that RHR needed to be in the race for the fans not to mention attempting to keep RHR's sponsors happy. It wasn't about championship points as any points awarded in the Indy 500 to RHR were not applied to his AA entry per Indycar rules.

Who's to say DHL might have pulled the plug after the 2011 season due to being left out at Indy. RHR could've been left out of a ride the next year and AA running only 3 cars instead of 4. Having a narrow attitude towards a ride buying situation shows a lack understanding of the bigger picture and how it can be a detrimental not only for the driver but the racing team and the Indycar series as a whole.

AJ? Didn't do well in stock cars? Voted as one of the Top 50 in NASCAR history? Check. Got it.

The two of you may be talking about two different A.J.s.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The two of you may be talking about two different A.J.s.
    Better be.

It's ridiculous to equate the NASCAR careers of Montoya who won multiple road races and had a bunch of near misses on ovals for a team with limited success during that time period, and Danica who finishes 17th at Sonoma while her short track background teammates are 1-2. Even Dinger is a race winner in NASCAR while Danica couldn't crack the top 15 on a road course.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post
    ...she won't have to do anything at Indy but keep her throttle foot down and do some drafting.
    The complete opposite of what I've been reading about the 2018 car.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Quote Originally Posted by davidgarvin View Post
    AJ? Didn't do well in stock cars? Voted as one of the Top 50 in NASCAR history? Check. Got it.
    Talking about Dinger. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    The complete opposite of what I've been reading about the 2018 car.
    What's the difference in downforce levels between the 2018 "universal" speedway aero kit for the DW12 and the Honda/Chevy speedway aero kits from last year?

Talking about Dinger. Duh.
    He's so far off the radar, never crossed my mind. Duh...

IMO that wouldn’t be a slap in the face at all considering the history and future that Chip and Larson share.

I was thinking the same thing about THE A.J. when I read your response.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about THE A.J. when I read your response.
    Ditto. There's only one.

Blog Entries
    Ditto. There's only one.
    Well, except there's actually 4 in that one family

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    What's the difference in downforce levels between the 2018 "universal" speedway aero kit for the DW12 and the Honda/Chevy speedway aero kits from last year?
    According to Servia, it's similar levels but generated in different ways...

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...servia-955797/

Well, I was actually thinking in terms of recent drivers - back in the day, Indy cars were a different beast than they are today, and I think the skill set was closer to the stock car skill set. Guys like Foyt and Mario seemed to have an easier transition. Then again, most of them came from the midget/sprint/silver crown ranks like Stewart did, so maybe the real issue is that today's usual "road to Indy" doesn't translate well to stock cars.