Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Well, except there's actually 4 in that one family
    Ok... that was damn funny - and true!

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Ok... that was damn funny - and true!
    Yes, but only one really counts.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727 View Post
    The biggest slap in the face for Danica honestly will be if Ganassi turns around and puts Kyle Larson on the grid for his first double.
    I hope to see it happen. It'll make for a better story.
    77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
    - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    Really petty attitude towards RHR.
    Petty attitude? Don't be ridiculous.

Not so sure the ride was "bought" so much as "offered" to Ryan.
    You should be sure. Yeah, my neighbor didn't really buy that new Mercedes. It was more a case of Mercedes offering (to sell) it out of the goodness of their heart and a concern for the motoring public.

Make no mistake. Money changed hands. Andretti bought the ride from Foyt in order to put RHR in the race.

Give credit where credit is due when Foyt demonstrated a level of professionalism seldom seen these days. He knew full well that RHR needed to be in the race for the fans not to mention attempting to keep RHR's sponsors happy.
    AJ, what a guy. Taking all that money out of the goodness of his heart and his concern for another team's sponsors.

Having a narrow attitude towards a ride buying situation shows a lack understanding of the bigger picture and how it can be a detrimental not only for the driver but the racing team and the Indycar series as a whole.
    Again, don't be ridiculous. Nothing in BSJracing's post demonstrated a "narrow attitude" nor was there anything there that could in any way be detrimental to a driver, team, or the series.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    AJ, what a guy. Taking all that money out of the goodness of his heart and his concern for another team's sponsors.
    Bruno Junqueira told me personally that he was deeply touched by the generosity of AJ's heart.

Yes, he was moved to tears by AJ's oh-so-generous move of selling his ride out from underneath him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Yes, he was moved to tears by AJ's oh-so-generous move of selling his ride out from underneath him.
    Gives new meaning to the phrase "he was moved."

Blog Entries
    Something more than a driver was "moved" in that deal alright.

Q: After reading Chip's comments last week regarding Danica running the Indy 500 for him being a "small chance of happening" and that it had to make business sense for all parties I come away with this conclusion: Whatever sponsor Danica brings, it will have to help pay for other aspects of Chip's team, perhaps even some of Scott Dixon's 2018 sponsorship. Am I right? Also, with this news now being public, what are the odds she's driving for Chip in May on a scale of 0 to 100, with 0 being 'no chance' and 100 being 'a lock'?

Damon in Hilliard, Ohio

RM: The day Danica announced Daytona and Indy would be her final two races, I called Chip and he admitted there had been discussions but that nothing was set and it had to make business sense, so nothing has changed. Would her funding help Dixie? I can't imagine it being that much money, and a May-only program is going to be pricey enough. But I do think IndyCar is going to make sure it happens, so whether DP brings a big sponsor or a small one, she'll be in a competitive car in May. And I still think it's an 85 that it's Chip.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=&limitstart=2
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

If it's not Ganassi, which team could welcome Danica Patrick? Carpenter in a third car? Schmidt?

Wow, why Andretti buy a ride from the awful Foyt team at Indy. LOL.

Maybe Miles will get Stephan Wilson to step out of his Andretti ride for the 2nd year in a row to make room for Danica. Stephan will be back with Andretti for a "guaranteed" seat in the 500 for 2019. I cant see Carpenter signing up for the Danica circus unless there are a lot of $$$$ associated with the Indy only ride. Still think the odds favor a 3rd Ganassi seat.
    Counting down to my 32nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Maybe Miles will get Stephan Wilson to step out of his Andretti ride for the 2nd year in a row to make room for Danica. Stephan will be back with Andretti for a "guaranteed" seat in the 500 for 2019.
    I like this idea. Every time someone takes his seat he is "guaranteed" a spot in a future race.

Alonso in 2017 = 2018 seat
    Alonso in 2017, Danica in 2018 = 2019 and 2020 seats
    Alonso in 2017, Danica in 2018, TBA in 2019 = 2020, 2021, and 2022 seats
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just keep taking his seat and offering up another at some point in the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moid View Post
    I like this idea. Every time someone takes his seat he is "guaranteed" a spot in a future race.

Alonso in 2017 = 2018 seat
    Alonso in 2017, Danica in 2018 = 2019 and 2020 seats
    Alonso in 2017, Danica in 2018, TBA in 2019 = 2020, 2021, and 2022 seats
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

Just keep taking his seat and offering up another at some point in the future.
    Kinda like all the NFL teams that trade their high draft picks for multiple future picks. Hopefully Stefan doesn't end up like the Cleveland Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Kinda like all the NFL teams that trade their high draft picks for multiple future picks. Hopefully Stefan doesn't end up like the Cleveland Browns.
    When you look at the stats of the Browns since their return in 1999, one would not be able to achieve that level of futility by trying to be that bad. They are truly a trainwreck, dumpster fire and natural disaster all in one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    When you look at the stats of the Browns since their return in 1999, one would not be able to achieve that level of futility by trying to be that bad. They are truly a trainwreck, dumpster fire and natural disaster all in one.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Then when you consider they could've taken Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson in the last couple of drafts, it makes things even worse. I feel sorry for Browns fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Q: After reading Chip's comments last week regarding Danica running the Indy 500 for him being a "small chance of happening" and that it had to make business sense for all parties I come away with this conclusion: Whatever sponsor Danica brings, it will have to help pay for other aspects of Chip's team, perhaps even some of Scott Dixon's 2018 sponsorship. Am I right? Also, with this news now being public, what are the odds she's driving for Chip in May on a scale of 0 to 100, with 0 being 'no chance' and 100 being 'a lock'?

Damon in Hilliard, Ohio

RM: The day Danica announced Daytona and Indy would be her final two races, I called Chip and he admitted there had been discussions but that nothing was set and it had to make business sense, so nothing has changed. Would her funding help Dixie? I can't imagine it being that much money, and a May-only program is going to be pricey enough. But I do think IndyCar is going to make sure it happens, so whether DP brings a big sponsor or a small one, she'll be in a competitive car in May. And I still think it's an 85 that it's Chip.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=&limitstart=2

Was was not expecting that Robin would answer my question in his mailbag, but pretty cool to see he did.

Quote Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
    If it's not Ganassi, which team could welcome Danica Patrick? Carpenter in a third car? Schmidt?

Dreyer and Reinbold

Quote Originally Posted by DamonG19 View Post
    Dreyer and Reinbold
    I would like to see that just to hear about which driver would post more selfies to their Instagram account: Danica Patrick or Sage Karaam.
    "I hit him so hard, he fell off the internet" - PennyArcade

Quote Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
    In terms of Honda - if not Ganassi or Andretti, then either Schmidt or Rahal. Can't see Coyne being an option either.

Chevy - not Penske or Foyt, maybe ECR if Ed has enough chassis to support a 3rd entry. DRR very possible. Carlin, Harding, Juncos & Lazier highly unlikely.

If she can't find a ride, we might see Vision Racing re-appear out of no where lol
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by GRW1983 View Post
    In terms of Honda - if not Ganassi or Andretti, then either Schmidt or Rahal. Can't see Coyne being an option either.

Chevy - not Penske or Foyt, maybe ECR if Ed has enough chassis to support a 3rd entry. DRR very possible. Carlin, Harding, Juncos & Lazier highly unlikely.
    Why not Coyne? Seems to me they were hooked up pretty good last year. And she is from Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    If she can't find a ride, we might see Vision Racing re-appear out of no where lol
    Ed Carpenter Racing IS Vision Racing for all practical purposes. The same owner is involved.

And it's very possible that Danica does end up driving for ECR.

Maybe this is unfair, but my impression of Danica is that she's somewhat hard to work with, and she's always brought sponsorship money. Maybe that's not accurate, but that's how it seems to me. So, it's going to be difficult to find someone to facilitate her desires if she doesn't have the money to fund it. Because after all, do you really want to go out and find money for Danica's retirement tour? What good does that do for your team?

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Didn't they become ECR?

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I would like to see that just to hear about which driver would post more selfies to their Instagram account: Danica Patrick or Sage Karaam.
    I know which one thinks they’re better looking.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    Maybe this is unfair, but my impression of Danica is that she's somewhat hard to work with, and she's always brought sponsorship money. Maybe that's not accurate, but that's how it seems to me. So, it's going to be difficult to find someone to facilitate her desires if she doesn't have the money to fund it. Because after all, do you really want to go out and find money for Danica's retirement tour? What good does that do for your team?
    Sponsorship money? I was told GoDaddy was $ 26 million per year.
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by nm View Post
    Sponsorship money? I was told GoDaddy was $ 26 million per year.
    A LOT of ink will be spilled on these "final" two events if someone smart can put it together. It can bring a financial and media bonanza if you do it right.

But, it is December, the holidays are around the corner, and Speed Weeks only a few weeks out from that. Anyone with a decent program and a desire to maximize the exposure from a credible stunt better get the giddy up on. A small program cant get it done. Chip, with a team in both series, is the guy to make it happen, and he has already given his first indication of 'yes' by issuing the first denial. If you are going to do this from an owners perspective, you better get all you can from it. Slow play it during the holidays by keeping it alive with 'no', then wait a couple of weeks into the new year when he has a partner ride lined up for Daytona, and let the media frenzy begin. The sponsor (Remember those Danica go-daddy commercials during the Super Bowl? (hint, hint)? Nice time for a large sponsor to make a big splash and get their money back in one shot.

I can see it happening just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Why not Coyne? Seems to me they were hooked up pretty good last year. And she is from Illinois.
    True, but Pippa Mann is more likely I think.