Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Quote Originally Posted by nm View Post
    Sponsorship money? I was told GoDaddy was $ 26 million per year.
    I believe it was $26m for 4 years, i.e. $8.5m per year.

$26m/year is F1-level sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post
    Ed Carpenter Racing IS Vision Racing for all practical purposes. The same owner is involved.

And it's very possible that Danica does end up driving for ECR.
    Depends how technical you want to get about it. Vision racing ceased all racing operations in January of 2010 and closed down. If you want to be really technical about it, it's technically Kelley racing, since TG bought the assets of Kelley Racing to form Vision Racing.

ECR is a new team that was formed in November of 2011.

my point was though, IMS will make sure Danica is in a car come May in 2018
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Chips just negotiating, which he's wise to do. Danica will be in a car, all parties would prefer it's with Chip this time around. Chip has some leverage here, especially with it already in the media. He doesn't have the cash cow of Target, and he's gotta milk IMS support for all he can get out of it while he has a shot. It'll be with Chip

Like The BEAR said, she has to announce her Daytona plans pretty soon. Obviously if she winds up in a Ganassi car down there, we have our answer.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by GRW1983 View Post
    In terms of Honda - if not Ganassi or Andretti, then either Schmidt or Rahal. Can't see Coyne being an option either.

Chevy - not Penske or Foyt, maybe ECR if Ed has enough chassis to support a 3rd entry. DRR very possible. Carlin, Harding, Juncos & Lazier highly unlikely.
    I think it is Ganassi, Schmidt Peterson #77 or a Dreyer and Reinbold second entry. Don't see any of the new teams working out, and I don't think she would settle for a 3rd Coyne car.

Maybe ECR but I don't see that as very likely. I think ECR puts Daly in their R/S program and then if Ed runs a 3rd car at Indy (which isn't a lock) then Conor gets it.
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

I think it's Ganassi for both Daytona and Indy.

But ... I'm no real Danica fan, but I hope she does not embarrass herself by announcing this and then coming up with nada. That would be sad.

Although I agree that IMS will probably get her into a car, at this point I wonder more if Daytona will happen if it's not Ganassi doing both. Although maybe SHR would field a car for her; I dunno. She does have some history at Indy, and Indy needs cars. But who in NASCAR would really care about a grand finale for a chronic mid-packer who never sniffed victory? Obviously, if she can find enough sponsorship, a car can be had; maybe Aspen Dental or GoDaddy one last time. I'm not confident I see that happening. And I don't see that where NASCAR itself has the incentive to produce their own version of a Clabber Girl Special; they will get 40 cars anyway.

I would think that her management would be smart enough not to announce this if it were not basically a done deal, and that's why I still think it's Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post

But ... I'm no real Danica fan, but I hope she does not embarrass herself by announcing this and then coming up with nada. That would be sad.

Although I agree that IMS will probably get her into a car, at this point I wonder more if Daytona will happen if it's not Ganassi doing both. Although maybe SHR would field a car for her; I dunno. She does have some history at Indy, and Indy needs cars. But who in NASCAR would really care about a grand finale for a chronic mid-packer who never sniffed victory? Obviously, if she can find enough sponsorship, a car can be had; maybe Aspen Dental or GoDaddy one last time. I'm not confident I see that happening. And I don't see that where NASCAR itself has the incentive to produce their own version of a Clabber Girl Special; they will get 40 cars anyway.

I would think that her management would be smart enough not to announce this if it were not basically a done deal, and that's why I still think it's Chip.
    If it was a done deal, her management would have announced it as a deal, not made her seem less marketable by having Ganassi say it probably won't happen with him.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    If it was a done deal, her management would have announced it as a deal, not made her seem less marketable by having Ganassi say it probably won't happen with him.
    I get what you're saying.

Hard to guess what's going to happen, that's for sure.

Blog Entries

I agree, it’s basically a done deal.

SHR cannot field her a car I believe, with the Charter System as they already have 4 in use.

Blog Entries
    doesn't everyone want a competitive ride? and shes special compare to al of them?
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

If she had nothing in place her management people had nothing to lose by making the announcement, if anything it made it more high profile by announcing her plans which could attract more sponsor money. My guess is that she probably has enough money for a ride at DRR but that is about it.

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    doesn't everyone want a competitive ride? and shes special compare to al of them?
    I'd say she may be more "special" than some of the others hunting an Indy ride. Like her or not the only think keeping her from a career of nothing worse than top 10 at Indy was the Briscoe incident.
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

But who in NASCAR would really care about a grand finale for a chronic mid-packer who never sniffed victory?

And yet Michael Waltrip got to run the Daytona 500 in 2016 and 2017 as a one off despite the fact he hadn't won a Cup race since 2003 and recorded just 10 top 10's in 139 starts between 2006-2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    SHR cannot field her a car I believe, with the Charter System as they already have 4 in use.
    Charters are only for guaranteed starting spots for full season entries, and there's only 36 of them in a 40 car field.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonG19 View Post
    And yet Michael Waltrip got to run the Daytona 500 in 2016 and 2017 as a one off despite the fact he hadn't won a Cup race since 2003 and recorded just 10 top 10's in 139 starts between 2006-2015.
    Sure, in a low budget "pray everyone wrecks" car. Danica would easily get one of those, but I doubt she'd take it.

DP just ended her relationship with Stenhouse. She's really putting NASCAR in her rearview isn't she.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy499 View Post
    DP just ended her relationship with Stenhouse. She's really putting NASCAR in her rearview isn't she.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if she scraps her plans to run Daytona at this point

If she scraps Daytona, I'd think she'd have a hard time raising any interest for Indy.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

Interest from a sponsor or team? If we're talking teams and the Games so thing falls through, with her family ties to DRR's Chase Selman, there's no way they let her racing career end without running Indy one last time for closure.

If IMS has to get involved sponsor wise I'm sure they will because it benefits them to have the most successful woman to run the 500 end her racing career at the place that launched her into stardom.

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    If I was a bettin' man, I'd say she's still going to be in both events.

Would really suck to make the announcement and not make it happen.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Blog Entries
    Not sure how her breaking up with Ricky has anything to do with her running Daytona and Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Not sure how her breaking up with Ricky has anything to do with her running Daytona and Indy.
    gotta agree with you on this one

Only Daytona

I just say that because her life has revolved around Ricky full time for the last 6 years. Without that relationship and knowing she isn't racing full time anymore, I just wonder if she just wants to get away from the whole NASCAR scene.

I agree, would we even mention a personal relationship if it were a male racer? I think an implication that she won't race either because of a boyfriend has overtones of sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    I believe it was $26m for 4 years, i.e. $8.5m per year.

$26m/year is F1-level sponsorship.
    The Stewart-Haas lawsuit provides some insight on this. Seeing that the value of the Nature's Bakery sponsorship was $15.2 million a year (25 races scheduled for '17), I wouldn't dismiss that the GoDaddy value was $26 million per year. Maybe that's a tad high, or maybe that's spot on. But $8.5 million per year, at that point in time for a full season on Danica's car, is insanely low. Teams were getting that for partial season deals (today is a different story). That was a number of years ago, and sponsorship values were very high at that point, especially for her. It was always suggested during those years that Cup budgets were in the $25-30 million range.

I agree with other posters that the discussion of Patrick not running Daytona because her ex-boyfriend will be there is very pointless, and not one we'd be having if Patrick were the full-time driver, Stenhouse the one retiring, and Stenhouse the one TMZ were speculating had wanted the relationship to develop into something else (not, for the record, saying TMZ's story is true, or saying that it matters why these two people decided not to be in a relationship anymore unless that reason has some bearing on whether we'd still accept them as public figures, which doesn't seem to be the case here).

But I also want to point out that even if Patrick did not want to run Daytona any longer, I'm not sure it would be her call. My guess is that the twin 500s was as much a sponsor's demand as it was Patrick's ideal way to retire. Patrick spoke without much enthusiasm about Daytona after Homestead—she seemed really exhausted with the idea of going to Daytona and getting banged around in the inevitable big wreck. That interview caused me to speculate (and it's only that, speculation by a buffoon, myself, on a forum) that perhaps Patrick wanted to retire at the Indy 500, and her sponsor or some other party came back with a package including Daytona, take it or leave it. In other words, I think she is only running Daytona because it is necessary for her to do so if she wants to run Indy—and that was from the day after her announcement, with nothing to do with Stenhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    Patrick spoke without much enthusiasm about Daytona after Homestead—she seemed really exhausted with the idea of going to Daytona and getting banged around in the inevitable big wreck.

In fairness to her, she did that interview following her 11th DNF of the season and considering that was her last start as a full-time driver, she definitely wasn't in the best place mentally, I'd cut her some slack for that.

I can see Hendrick/Junior putting her in a 5th car just for the race, even without a charter. She'd have enough drafting help in the 150's from some of her 4 teammates to ensure that she out-qualified the other non-charter cars. It's not like they are going to get more than 1 or 2 DNQ for the race anyway...

As far as Indy goes, I see her in an ECR car. That way both rides would be Chevy entries.

I really can't see Chip putting her in an Indy ride before he puts Larson in, as loyal as he has been to Chip the last couple years.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Then when you consider they could've taken Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson in the last couple of drafts, it makes things even worse. I feel sorry for Browns fans.
    Thank god they DIDN'T take Wentz. He's more than shown he is capable of being a stud in the NFL. The Browns are so bad they would have turned Tom Brady into a one season flop.