Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    Didn't they become ECR?
    Essentially yes but not directly. Tony George is a majority partner with his stepson and Stuart Reed, the co-owner of Fuzzy's Vodka and president of Magnolia Health Systems. It's the house team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    If I was a bettin' man, I'd say she's still going to be in both events.
    I also still think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    I also still think it will happen.
    It's going to happen because the entire plan was put together by both NASCAR and IMS. Both are having ratings problems with their showcase events.

Danica is not the one that came up with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post
    It's going to happen because the entire plan was put together by both NASCAR and IMS. Both are having ratings problems with their showcase events.

And how do you know that?

Blog Entries

LOL..... Ok, the Daytona 500 is having ratings issues? Hasn't she been in the last 6 I think Daytona 500's? Obviously she's not the answer. If she is such a big draw with so much star power why was there no drop off for Indycar or pick up for NASCAR when she switched?

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Well, the point is it will be her last Daytona and Indy.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

I think she'll run the races. But I doubt she'll significantly change attendance or ratings.

Or impact the races, for that matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    I think she'll run the races. But I doubt she'll significantly change attendance or ratings.

Or impact the races, for that matter.
    I think she will help the Indy ratings by a few points. All the extra media coverage in of itself will make a difference. Danica coming back to Indy after 7 years is a story. Her running Daytona again after doing so the last few years, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    I think she will help the Indy ratings by a few points.
    On which side of the decimal will these "few points" land? Last year's race pulled a 3.4 (down from 3.9 in 2016). What is your rating prediction for the 2018 race?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

I think Danica came up with the idea, and I don't think it's a sure thing. The PTB in both series will help her in the quest, but she is not at a level where her stardom just guarantees a ride in either race.

At Daytona, the non-charter cars will have to qualify to make the race.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    On which side of the decimal will these "few points" land? Last year's race pulled a 3.4 (down from 3.9 in 2016). What is your rating prediction for the 2018 race?

Quote Originally Posted by Craigar1 View Post
    I think Danica came up with the idea, and I don't think it's a sure thing. The PTB in both series will help her in the quest, but she is not at a level where her stardom just guarantees a ride in either race.

At Daytona, the non-charter cars will have to qualify to make the race.
    Which I would guess is a hold up for Daytona as I would put money on her not wanting to run for a non-charter team. The deck is stacked against the non-charter teams and let's face it if she doesn't qualify it would be rather embarrassing way to end her rather medicare NASCAR career.

I think Kyle Larson would have a bigger ratings impact. I hope Chip finally lets him give it a go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    I think Kyle Larson would have a bigger ratings impact. I hope Chip finally lets him give it a go.
    Larson is not close to a household name yet. Danica is. I agree I would love to see him in the race, but I don't think he would have a big ratings impact.

Larson is not close to a household name yet. Danica is. I agree I would love to see him in the race, but I don't think he would have a big ratings impact.
    I will disagree with you on that one. If Larson were to race the Indy 500 over Danica, i think Larson would generate bigger ratings because:

1. he IS a household name in NASCAR
    2. young, will race anything, and has a HUGE following among dirt fans, you know a fan base that INDYCAR would love to get back
    3. Is successful, unlike Danica. Kyle Larson is competing for championships in NASCAR, and Danica was competing for top 25 in points
    4. Larson would be driving for Ganassi, an absolute threat at indy, Danica will probably end up at DRR (not as good traditionally to Ganassi)
    5. Larson would be competing for the "Double" so he would get diehard NASCAR fans to watch Indy again.
    6. Is personable, fan favorite, people like him, fun personality, which Danica to be polite struggles with half of those.

Danica has none of these. All that she has going for her is that this would be her last race, and she has always run well at Indy.

Having said that: I would love both to be in the field, as well as the best drivers from all disciplines. I just want the best racing at Indy. But i think Larson would generate bigger ratings than Danica
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

I agree Danica is the much bigger household name to average Americans. But her participation is unlikely to draw in the average non-racing fan, and I don't think she's relevant enough in the NASCAR world to bring in many of those fans either. Larson, however, could potentially pull in a lot of NASCAR fans who would otherwise not watch the 500.

I could be wrong about this, but that's how I see it. In general, I think IndyCar's best avenue for growth is to attract "lapsed fans" and fans of other racing series, rather than try to appeal to John Q. Public.

Depends.... my guesses are as follows

w/o Danica and/or Larson: 3.7 (I think the race rating will rebound slightly, based off the newer kit being sexy and might bring back some older fans... just guesses)
    with danica, no larson: 3.8: I honestly don't think anybody really cares anymore about her. she has worn out her welcome, and isn't really news anymore
    with danica and larson: 4.2: see post 166 for why i think that.... the addition of larson would "move the needle" i think haha

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    I agree Danica is the much bigger household name to average Americans. But her participation is unlikely to draw in the average non-racing fan, and I don't think she's relevant enough in the NASCAR world to bring in many of those fans either. Larson, however, could potentially pull in a lot of NASCAR fans who would otherwise not watch the 500.

I could be wrong about this, but that's how I see it. In general, I think IndyCar's best avenue for growth is to attract "lapsed fans" and fans of other racing series, rather than try to appeal to John Q. Public.
    as always, spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I will disagree with you on that one. If Larson were to race the Indy 500 over Danica, i think Larson would generate bigger ratings because:

1. he IS a household name in NASCAR
    2. young, will race anything, and has a HUGE following among dirt fans, you know a fan base that INDYCAR would love to get back
    3. Is successful, unlike Danica. Kyle Larson is competing for championships in NASCAR, and Danica was competing for top 25 in points
    4. Larson would be driving for Ganassi, an absolute threat at indy, Danica will probably end up at DRR (not as good traditionally to Ganassi)
    5. Larson would be competing for the "Double" so he would get diehard NASCAR fans to watch Indy again.
    6. Is personable, fan favorite, people like him, fun personality, which Danica to be polite struggles with half of those.

Danica has none of these. All that she has going for her is that this would be her last race, and she has always run well at Indy.

Having said that: I would love both to be in the field, as well as the best drivers from all disciplines. I just want the best racing at Indy. But i think Larson would generate bigger ratings than Danica

And yet Larson's success the last two years in Cup hasn't done anything to uplift NASCAR's ratings, yet somehow the causal fan is supposed to care about him now? Not a chance.

Danica, especially in a competitive car up front on the grid, can generate interest in the race that Kurt Busch, Fernando Alonso and a six race run in terms of record lead changes could not.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017...-beats-nascar/

Quote Originally Posted by DamonG19 View Post
    And yet Larson's success the last two years in Cup hasn't done anything to uplift NASCAR's ratings, yet somehow the causal fan is supposed to care about him now? Not a chance.

Danica, especially in a competitive car up front on the grid, can generate interest in the race that Kurt Busch, Fernando Alonso and a six race run in terms of record lead changes could not.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017...-beats-nascar/
    Is that possible that NASCAR's ratings are down because Jr is done, Stewart is gone, Gordon is gone.... 3 legends all gone. Yea that will take a toll on a sport, especially in terms of casual viewers. Also more and more people are cutting the cord to cable, myself included. So naturally ratings will be down as technology and TV partners adjust to a 2017. soon to be 2018 reality.

When Kurt Busch raced here in 2014, the ratings were up significantly compared to 2013, which proved my point about NASCAR fans wanting to follow their stars wherever they race.

Fernando did BIG among international ratings as we all expected but there is such a small F1 following in America. I am quite perplexed though as to why the ratings for this year dropped so much, but i think it has to do with cord cutting like i mentioned earlier

I stand by my point that Larson would be better for ratings than Danica. if this was 2007, i'd agree with you. But casual race fans in America have already seen her, and weren't impressed, which is why ratings dropped every year that she raced in NASCAR as whole. And that is why ratings in Indycar have gone up each year except this year since 2013 without Danica. Race fans want to see racers, not some marketing person battling for 25th as Larry Mac and Darrel Waltrip struggle to explain why they are watching a battle for 25th as opposed a battle for 7th.

i stand by my post in 166, Larson would attract Nascar fans. danica wouldn't, and i don't think she really attracts casual viewers anymore

When Kurt Busch raced here in 2014, the ratings were up significantly compared to 2013, which proved my point about NASCAR fans wanting to follow their stars wherever they race.

Eh? A 3.9 (2014) vs a 3.7 (2013), not that major of difference considering the all the hype Kurt got that year

Quote Originally Posted by DamonG19 View Post
    Eh? A 3.9 (2014) vs a 3.7 (2013), not that major of difference considering the all the hype Kurt got that year
    LOL that is the only part you took away from my post? I guess you agree with everything else i said then.

Hope springs eternal.

Depends.... my guesses are as follows

w/o Danica and/or Larson: 3.7 (I think the race rating will rebound slightly, based off the newer kit being sexy and might bring back some older fans... just guesses)
    with danica, no larson: 3.8: I honestly don't think anybody really cares anymore about her. she has worn out her welcome, and isn't really news anymore
    with danica and larson: 4.2: see post 166 for why I think that.... the addition of larson would "move the needle" I think haha
    We can only hope. Consider, however, despite all the excitement and attention over Alonso's cameo appearance this year the ratings were the lowest ever.

We'll just have to wait and see what affect Danica has on things.

We can only hope. Consider, however, despite all the excitement and attention over Alonso's cameo appearance this year the ratings were the lowest ever.

We'll just have to wait and see what affect Danica has on things.
    Correct, I was stunned the ratings dropped that much with Alonso, i didn't think it would "move the needle" like some thought, but i didn't expect the final ratings number to be as low as it was

I squarely lay the blame of IMS ratings at the feet of ABC. They are up at most other tracks on NBC sports for Indycar.

They will be BAD this year. We are going to get the WORST ABC mail it in effort we have ever seen. Complete with stick and ball announcer type.
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    I squarely lay the blame of IMS ratings at the feet of ABC. They are up at most other tracks on NBC sports for Indycar.

They will be BAD this year. We are going to get the WORST ABC mail it in effort we have ever seen. Complete with stick and ball announcer type.
    short term loss will be long term gain. I think most all educated and informed Indycar fans are hoping/praying/doing spiritual rituals to get ABC the hell out of here. This will be the last year we have to suffer through the insurance salesmen in Cheever and Goodyear, with no flow to the commentary and lack of excitement.

I can't wait for NBC (hopefully) to take over starting in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    her rather medicare NASCAR career.
    I knew her performances were sickly, but I didn't think she was old enough for benefits.

She does look good for 65.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    Which I would guess is a hold up for Daytona as I would put money on her not wanting to run for a non-charter team. The deck is stacked against the non-charter teams and let's face it if she doesn't qualify it would be rather embarrassing way to end her rather medicare NASCAR career.
    Medicare career. lol. Her performances overall have been rather geriatric.

Blog Entries
    short term loss will be long term gain. I think most all educated and informed Indycar fans are hoping/praying/doing spiritual rituals to get ABC the hell out of here. This will be the last year we have to suffer through the insurance salesmen in Cheever and Goodyear, with no flow to the commentary and lack of excitement.

I can't wait for NBC (hopefully) to take over starting in 2019.
    With the loss of F1, I hope NBC really throws a good offer at Indycar. I wish they would just take over for 2018.

I'd love to have Matchett and his technical insight and enthusiasm added to the telecasts.