Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    With the loss of F1, I hope NBC really throws a good offer at Indycar. I wish they would just take over for 2018.

I'd love to have Matchett and his technical insight and enthusiasm added to the telecasts.
    Having spent time in a Holiday Inn Express, I'm thinking the best deal IndyCar could hope to get from NBC would be this:

* Broadcast of three or four "marquee" races on NBC (let's say Indy 500, Road America, Pocono, and a fourth TBA)
    * Remainder of schedule on NBCSN

In other words, similar to current deal with NBCSN and ABC, just no more ABC. At best, for the same money IndyCar gets from the current arrangement.

I'd love to have Matchett and his technical insight and enthusiasm added to the telecasts.
    So would I but I'm afraid that after a couple broadcasts he'd struggle for content.

Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    Having spent time in a Holiday Inn Express, I'm thinking the best deal IndyCar could hope to get from NBC would be this:

* Broadcast of three or four "marquee" races on NBC (let's say Indy 500, Road America, Pocono, and a fourth TBA)
    * Remainder of schedule on NBCSN

In other words, similar to current deal with NBCSN and ABC, just no more ABC. At best, for the same money IndyCar gets from the current arrangement.
    I think this is a likely assessment of the situation. I think NBC / NBCSN would certainly be a better production than what we are getting on ABC/ESPN. I cant imagine anyone putting the entire schedule on an over the air network.

I agree that Matchett would be great but do wonder if he would struggle for content after a few races. I really enjoy his "once in a while" participation in the Indycar broadcasts. It brings a freshness and excitement to the broadcast because it is something different.
    Counting down to my 32nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by fenderless View Post
    So would I but I'm afraid that after a couple broadcasts he'd struggle for content.

Yep, especially since they use the same car year after year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    I squarely lay the blame of IMS ratings at the feet of ABC.
    Another senseless messenger shooting.

It just has to be someone else's fault.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    I believe ABC deserves a large share of blame for the lackluster ratings. Their race coverage and production for the 500 are fine, but they don't do enough in the way of promotion. Fox usually promotes Daytona months in advance. They show ads during their NFL playoff games, and I have even seen them show ads as early as Thanksgiving. If they have the Super Bowl, they will promote Daytona during the Super Bowl. Big time promotion. Meanwhile, all ABC does is run a 15 second ad sparingly for about two weeks leading up to the race. They don't talk about it much on their other properties like Sports Center or the number of other sports talk shows they have. They really could do a lot more in the way of promoting the race.

They broadcast one race a year?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    I agree Danica is the much bigger household name to average Americans. But her participation is unlikely to draw in the average non-racing fan, and I don't think she's relevant enough in the NASCAR world to bring in many of those fans either. Larson, however, could potentially pull in a lot of NASCAR fans who would otherwise not watch the 500.

I could be wrong about this, but that's how I see it. In general, I think IndyCar's best avenue for growth is to attract "lapsed fans" and fans of other racing series, rather than try to appeal to John Q. Public.
    If the series was attractive to John Q, John Q would already be watching. IMHO, John Q Public has little racing in general, and Danica isn't going to change that. Even her fanbase has been pretty soft lately and young girls and boys in the current youngest generation are far more likely to be anti-combustion engine, environmentally brain-washed into believing all racing is bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    I believe ABC deserves a large share of blame for the lackluster ratings. Their race coverage and production for the 500 are fine, but they don't do enough in the way of promotion. Fox usually promotes Daytona months in advance. They show ads during their NFL playoff games, and I have even seen them show ads as early as Thanksgiving. If they have the Super Bowl, they will promote Daytona during the Super Bowl. Big time promotion. Meanwhile, all ABC does is run a 15 second ad sparingly for about two weeks leading up to the race. They don't talk about it much on their other properties like Sports Center or the number of other sports talk shows they have. They really could do a lot more in the way of promoting the race.
    Holy Moly Batman, it must be Christmas! TeamChevy said something negative about ABC! We can continue to disagree on the actual race coverage, but you are spot on with the total lack of promotion. Fox has far more invested in their contract that almost demands they cross promote, but ABC's efforts are horribly inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

It just has to be someone else's fault.
    Spike, are you really that ignorant to not think that ABC MIGHT POSSIBLY have something to do with lackluster Indy 500 ratings?

I sure think it's possible, between their complete lack of promotion, lack of excitement, lack of coverage, lack of production quality. Are you really ignorant enough to think that ABC has nothing to do with ratings for the Indy 500 going down?

I am not that ignorant, and I am also not that ignorant that it's not entirely on ABC's shoulders. There is a lot of blame to be passed around, but I will give the large majority of the blame to the folks o ABC/ESPN.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Holy Moly Batman, it must be Christmas! TeamChevy said something negative about ABC! We can continue to disagree on the actual race coverage, but you are spot on with the total lack of promotion. Fox has far more invested in their contract that almost demands they cross promote, but ABC's efforts are horribly inadequate.
    yea, he is 100% wrong on race coverage. Re-watching old Indy 500's makes me want to punch my TV listening to Marty Reid, Eddie Cheever, Scott Goodyear. The production is complete trash, the quality is terrible, there is no excitement at all. example: 2013 Indy 500 final restart, Kanaan makes a GREAT three wide pass into turn one..... ABC: ......(silence) .... then marty reid with no excitement "Three wide into one" ....... 3 seconds go by and Cheever: "look who is second.... Munoz" ........ UMMM HOW ABOUT THE BRILLIANT PASS AND WITH AUTHORITY TELL US THAT KANAAN TOOK THE LEAD!!!!

I just re-watched that on youtube, and if i was a casual fan, I would think "hmm, good pass i guess???"

Allen Bestwick does decent job.... but the overall package is just truly horrific. I have met Goodyear, plenty nice, very knowledgeable, but I can't stand him in the booth. And i have nothing nice to say about Cheever at all.

ugh i could go on and on and on and on and on about Always Bad Coverage, they make me want to pull out my hair. I genuinely hate their coverage, I honestly only the patience left for 1 more year of them. Then i swear to GOD they better be gone for life starting in 2019. They have beyond worn out their welcome.

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    LOL, well you must be confusing me with someone else, as I've never really been a big defender of ABC. I think their coverage could be better, though I don't share the extreme views of some people here who insist it's absolutely terrible. I think they do an OK job for the 500, and not as good for the rest of the races. The race call could be more exciting, but that's obviously a choice that ABC makes to go for a more subdued call. It is what it is. There are some other aspects where they fall short as a result of lack of effort and/or resources that they allocate to the broadcasts. But for the most part, I think their biggest shortcomings have do with with their lack of promotion.

I disagree that ABC puts out good race coverage for The 500... IMO, the broadcast team - Cheever/Goodyear/Reid - absolutely sucks.

What ABC broadcasts would you like to see these "months in advance ads" run on?

Do they have anything approaching the Super Bowl, or even Thanksgiving NFL games that would suffice?

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    I disagree that ABC puts out good race coverage for The 500... IMO, the broadcast team - Cheever/Goodyear/Reid - absolutely sucks.

What ABC broadcasts would you like to see these "months in advance ads" run on?

Do they have anything approaching the Super Bowl, or even Thanksgiving NFL games that would suffice?
    Reid hasn’t been on the broadcast team for years now. Bestwick does a good job, and Cheever/Goodyear are not as bad as some people here insist. They are just doing the job that ABC asks them to do.

As for promotiom, ABC does a lot of NBA games all year, some of which are fairly high profile and get decent ratings. It’s not the NFL, but the NBA has actually seen rising ratings compared to the NFL, which is heading the other direction. They could start promos for the 500 during their February and March NBA games, wouldn’t cost much and could do a lot to help get the race in people’s minds earlier.

Bestwick/Cheever/Goodyear all fired.

I don't know if you are paying attention to what is going on with ESPN (Who does ABC's sports stuff).
    But it's a complete and utterly massive DUMPSTER FIRE.

They are firing just about everyone and the president quit because he is a drug abuser.

Brace yourselves for a brutal year of ABC/ESPN just absolutely mailing it in.
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

On vacation
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    Bestwick/Cheever/Goodyear all fired.

I don't know if you are paying attention to what is going on with ESPN (Who does ABC's sports stuff).
    But it's a complete and utterly massive DUMPSTER FIRE.

They are firing just about everyone and the president quit because he is a drug abuser.

Brace yourselves for a brutal year of ABC/ESPN just absolutely mailing it in.
    Yeah this year could be real bad. Lindsay Czarniak was also let go, so they’ll need a new host. There’s been speculation that Bestwick/Cheever/Goodyear could be brough back and contracted to just do the 5 or 6 broadcasts that ABC does. Jerry Punch was also let go.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Spike, are you really that ignorant to not think that ABC MIGHT POSSIBLY have something to do with lackluster Indy 500 ratings?

I sure think it's possible, between their complete lack of promotion, lack of excitement, lack of coverage, lack of production quality. Are you really ignorant enough to think that ABC has nothing to do with ratings for the Indy 500 going down?

I am not that ignorant, and I am also not that ignorant that it's not entirely on ABC's shoulders. There is a lot of blame to be passed around, but I will give the large majority of the blame to the folks o ABC/ESPN.
    I think poor quality coverage might depress ratings, but ABC has been providing the same crappy coverage for a loooong time. So that doesn't really explain the recent decline.

It's interesting that the slump is only in the 500: ratings for other races have been slowly improving (on average) for the last few years.

Jerry Punch was also let go.
    The best person they had.

I can't believe you are that ignorant to believe I haven't factored ABC into the ratings slide experienced by the 500 over the last many years.

I sure think it's possible, between their complete lack of promotion...
    Are you saying they have not done any promotion whatsoever over the couple of decades? None at all?

I am not that ignorant, and I am also not that ignorant that it's not entirely on ABC's shoulders.
    Okay.

...but I will give the large majority of the blame to the folks o ABC/ESPN.
    Do you give the majority of the blame to ABC for the overall low ratings, attendance and sponsor involvement the series has experienced over the last couple of decades?

Is it ABC's fault the series couldn't close the deal in Mexico?

Is it ABC's fault the series couldn't keep the race date at Watkins Glen?

Is it ABC's fault the series can't get a race, or draw flies, at Fontana?

Is it ABC's fault the series can't attract another engine supplier?

Is it ABC's fault the series, after the better part of a century, has devolved into being a spec series?

Blog Entries
    Well... I can't sit back and not throw this back out there again. It's been a few years, lol! I don't believe that the low ratings for the 500 or missing places like Fontana has anything to do with TV coverage. But it has everything to do with the business model IndyCar execs have created for this series. The new drivers they are bringing into the series bring very little interest, excitement toward the 500 or the series overall.

Next month there will be 25,000+ drive to freakin' Tulsa, Ok to watch Christopher Bell, Kyle Larson, up and coming future stars like Tanner Thorson and Tyler Courtney in the Chili Bowl. That's Saturday night ticket has been sold out for six months. None of these guys will be in IndyCar and its not that many of these types of drivers haven't wanted to. As long as the drivers that are packing grandstands from Pa. to Ohio to Knoxville, Ia. to central In. to Perris, Ca. are going to NASCAR and not IndyCar, I don't expect things to change. It's a fact that short dirt track attendance is up and climbing. Not talking about local weekly shows, but their big events. It's up to IndyCar leadership to change the direction of the series, change the business model to get these guys to the brickyard. Otherwise, every year it's (for some, not me) ... Oh let's hope that Danica or Kurt Busch runs the 500 and we can pick up a few hundredths of % points in ratings.
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    This is false. There are lots of flies in the area as the location is right in a very industrial part of California with lots of smelly trash

Blog Entries
    Reid hasn’t been on the broadcast team for years now. Bestwick does a good job, and Cheever/Goodyear are not as bad as some people here insist. They are just doing the job that ABC asks them to do.

As for promotiom, ABC does a lot of NBA games all year, some of which are fairly high profile and get decent ratings. It’s not the NFL, but the NBA has actually seen rising ratings compared to the NFL, which is heading the other direction. They could start promos for the 500 during their February and March NBA games, wouldn’t cost much and could do a lot to help get the race in people’s minds earlier.
    Sorry, but I simply don't see any amount of significance from the NBA fanbase crossing over to the Indycar fanbase. NFL ratings have tanked for one simple reason. I''ve noticed that has been noticeable absent from TV broadcasts in recent weeks when I have actually tuned in. You won't see that happen at the 500. Imply with you will in that comment, it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    ICS/HG will make 33 happen, and no doubt in my mind that one way or another she'll be one of those. The series wants the exposure. I don't see that as a positive though.

Or perhaps 34

Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727 View Post
    This is false. There are lots of flies in the area as the location is right in a very industrial part of California with lots of smelly trash
    Really. People need to look at the positives.

I can't believe you are that ignorant to believe I haven't factored ABC into the ratings slide experienced by the 500 over the last many years.

Are you saying they have not done any promotion whatsoever over the couple of decades? None at all?

Okay.

Do you give the majority of the blame to ABC for the overall low ratings, attendance and sponsor involvement the series has experienced over the last couple of decades?

Is it ABC's fault the series couldn't close the deal in Mexico?

Is it ABC's fault the series couldn't keep the race date at Watkins Glen?

Is it ABC's fault the series can't attract another engine supplier?

Is it ABC's fault the series, after the better part of a century, has devolved into being a spec series?
    this all started with : Originally Posted by PaddockMooseI squarely lay the blame of IMS ratings at the feet of ABC.

It just has to be someone else's fault."

Implying you don't give any blame to ABC. Apparently you do, so that is refreshing to hear, maybe next time say something closer to "i wouldn't give all the blame squarely to ABC but they certainly factor into it"

As for your other questions at the end, you completely missed the point Spike, but i appreciate the effort. I never mentioned Mexico, never mentioned Watkins Glen, never mentioned Fontana, never mentioned another engine supplier..... so per usual, a big swing and a miss, because you had to go way off point and topic in order to try to attempt to make a point.

we are talking about '500 ratings decline and ABC, stay on topic.

Blog Entries
    totally off topic..... When do we start the lobbying effort to change the official name of the sanctioning body to CART?

The ratings declines for the Indy 500 are caused solely by the fact that people have found other entertainment options where they would rather spend their time. This is partially due to the product offering less and less entertainment value, and partially due to the growth of so many other entertainment choices. Don't blame ABC for failing to increase ratings while broadcasting an increasingly irrelevant event. And don't think that any amount of promotion, a new network, or a new set of announcers is going to change this trend. It may be possible to increase the viewership of certain series events by moving coverage to a network with more eyeballs - but that is not an issue for the Indy 500 itself.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

Blog Entries
    totally off topic..... When do we start the lobbying effort to change the official name of the sanctioning body to CART?
    Dont laugh, I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. It's one step away from being CART anyway.

Hoping they take the final step...

Don't want to read thru 7 pages- When did this turn into a anti-ABC rant?

On another subject-

Who amongst us has let Mark Miles and co. that having cancer survivor and class act John Andretti in the pace car would be a good idea?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, when I die I want to go where they go" Will Rodgers

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Simple incompetence is a far more sinister force in the world than evil intent.