Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

Danica Indy 500/ Daytona talks done?

The artist formally known as 00steven/Little Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by 00stevenm View Post

May have fallen through...
    She'll be there. Maybe not with Ganassi but she'll be in the race.

And it's way early. This story can drag on for months.

She won't race with just anyone - and if it's not Penske, Andretti, or Ganassi, why bother. I am not sure sponsors see value even with a top team. I find it hard to believe a second tier effort is going to generate much interest at all.
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

Why would she hold a press conference saying she's going to participate in these races if she didn't have a ride? Did she just assume that because she's Danica the offers/sponsors would just come rolling in?

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    Did she just assume that because she's Danica the offers/sponsors would just come rolling in?
    It sort of has that look about it.

I've been of the opinion myself that she could find the sponsorship, because of the farewell aspect; and so a good ride would follow. Maybe not, though. ??

People are rolling their eyes here in Indy. At the AA open house sale and canned food drive, people were hoping she won't be back. The Ganassi connection isn't even close to being done, if at all.

Blog Entries
    Seems a little presumptuous on her part that anybody would really care that she was leaving racing.

Blog Entries
    There still months left before the two races so anything can happen. Heck....I think all of us have seen race deals happen during the month of May so never say never.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

This situation is going to keep me up nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    There still months left before the two races so anything can happen. Heck....I think all of us have seen race deals happen during the month of May so never say never.
    ICS/HG will make 33 happen, and no doubt in my mind that one way or another she'll be one of those. The series wants the exposure. I don't see that as a positive though.

If I was Danica, given that Seb was well faster than anyone else on his run before he stuffed it, and that Jones finished 3rd with a damaged car, I wouldn't be so quick to thumb my nose at a Coyne ride.
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Ouch ...

Would be ironic if it turned out to be something like a Kat Legge deal, where she wasn't able to put the ride together until the day before qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by debdrake View Post
    If I was Danica, given that Seb was well faster than anyone else on his run before he stuffed it, and that Jones finished 3rd with a damaged car, I wouldn't be so quick to thumb my nose at a Coyne ride.
    True ... and Indy is enough of a crap shoot that almost any team could win it.

She will drive the Daytona and Indy 500. It might come down to the last minute, but it will happen. NASCAR I really don't know where she will end up at. I think in IndyCar Andretti will have her a ride.

It's not over until the little lady sings

Blog Entries
    Anything that brings positive attention and viewers to the 500, I'm for it - I hope she gets a good deal worked out soon
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Blog Entries
    "May have fallen through...stalled a little bit...maybe...probably..." I see a lot of vague language there. Of course, at TF that means we draw iron-clad conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    She won't race with just anyone - and if it's not Penske, Andretti, or Ganassi, why bother. I am not sure sponsors see value even with a top team. I find it hard to believe a second tier effort is going to generate much interest at all.
    Generally true, but there are other teams that can offer a worthwhile opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    People are rolling their eyes here in Indy. At the AA open house sale and canned food drive, people were hoping she won't be back. The Ganassi connection isn't even close to being done, if at all.
    I've heard right here at TF that people who live in Indy live in a bubble and they need to broaden their view. Maybe this is one of those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by debdrake View Post
    Is there any indication from Danica that she is thumbing her nose at Coyne?

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    Seems a little presumptuous on her part that anybody would really care that she was leaving racing.
    Exactly. That's why there's an ESPN story, Chip was talking about it at PRI, and we are all here posting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insighter View Post
    It's not over until the little lady sings

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Anything that brings positive attention and viewers to the 500, I'm for it - I hope she gets a good deal worked out soon
    Me too.
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    Why would she hold a press conference saying she's going to participate in these races if she didn't have a ride? Did she just assume that because she's Danica the offers/sponsors would just come rolling in?
    What, like she's the first person to announce an Indy 500 effort without a solid plan?
    The minimum safe following distance on the road is two seconds, no matter how important/skilled you feel you are. This doesn't change if you think the person in front of you is driving too slow. These truths are non-negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyknut View Post
    The media coverage and discussions suggest that many, in fact, do care.

Even if you and some others here are not included among them, her presumption, if she had one, would still be correct.

There's not that much time until the Daytona 500. A program for that would need to be done by beginning of January. And there are not nearly as many one-offs.

The way that I see it is that there wasn't much to work with from the beginning... Either the media or fans appointed Ganassi the favorite and ran with it but from the sounds of it, the conversations have been very preliminary and have hardly and base to stand on.

I thought that Ganassi was more of a dark horse contender with the Schmidt-Peterson 77 entry being the favorite. There could still be a Tony Stewart Foundation connection there and now that the Calmels deal has been severed, the path to that ride is more clear.

Dreyer and Reinbold are considering a 2nd car for Indianapolis, so they could be in the picture. Still early!
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    The media coverage and discussions suggest that many, in fact, do care.

Even if you and some others here are not included among them, her presumption, if she had one, would still be correct.
    The media. Hey, that's an idea. Maybe CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc. could pool their resources and fund her final ride. Just think about the coverage.

(And some of it could actually be factual).

C'mon folks, this is PERFECT storyline material to focus even a small (or not so small) amount of attention to a 'potential' entry to Daytona and Indy. The Danica FANS will hang on every development in hope that she gets to go out in storybook fashion, and the Danica ANTIFAns will revel in her inability to cash in on what remains of her marketing acumen to fulfill her intended exit from the sport. It's the tried and true 'Hero and Villain' theme wrapped up in one driver.

Of course, a lot of air goes out of the balloon if she doesn't get a ride at Daytona, but given the increasingly pathetic state of NASCAR affairs she should be able to put something together. And realistically I doubt if Ganassi ever wanted any part of that distraction at Daytona. That team needs to keep its focus on the Larson effort.
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Resident of the NE Vista Mario4ever's Avatar
    I think IMS will make it happen at Indy. It will bring mainstream media attention to the event.
    "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    I think IMS will make it happen at Indy. It will bring mainstream media attention to the event.
    Agreed, the best thing for the event is for Danica to be very fast this May
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    It's not over until the little lady stomps.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    I don't think getting sponsorship will be a problem at all and she'll be well funded for a one-off.

Worst case scenario she has a family connection to Dreyer & Reinbold. She might not get a ride with a top team but she'll be on the grid somewhere.

Really no point speculating on this.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Really no point speculating on this.
    There's really no point to discussing anything on a message board.

It's just a (sometimes) enjoyable pass-time.

Speculate and see if anything we said comes to pass.