Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Carb Day Band - Who is it Gonna Be?

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Doug Boles basically admitted it was Kiss for 2017 but they could not work out the logistics due to Kiss then performing on the European leg of their tour during May. This was on an interview a few months back on JMV if I recall correctly. Gene also said he would like to play Cartb Day while also being interviewed by JMV when he was in town with his solo band. This was the same interview where he claimed that he claimed to have told the folks at Indycar to start using the term Indycar again. Kiss fits the demo: Classic act with a repertoire of recognizable songs, An act that will appeal to a wide range of demographics including the college aged crowd and currently not commanding anything close to an A List appearance fee. Anyone who has seen them knows they put on a spectacular live show with off the charts theatrics and effects.
    I can confirm all of this; I heard that interview.

Knowing that, Steve Miller/Barenaked Ladies, while a 'meh' choice for many, is pretty damn good if you consider that was their back up plan.

I don't think I would label Kiss as a band that appeals to the college age crowd.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wronkle View Post
    This is the correct choice Cardi B is what IndyCar needs.
    WhoTF is Cardi B?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post
    I don't think I would label Kiss as a band that appeals to the college age crowd.
    Appeal to the college age crowd in the sense that its a band that they have heard of. Just remember, they are trying to find an act that will appeal to those from 16-65 and that is not easy to do. They cant just roll out someone that only the college aged folks will like for Carb Day, thats what the Snakepit two days later is for.
    Counting down to my 31st Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

How about Zamfir on the pan flute? Loved by all...

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    WhoTF is Cardi B?
    Y'all would blow a fuse here on trackforum but as a college student, people like Cardi B would appeal more than Kiss or Alice In Chains or any aforementioned. It may actually be a very good way to draw out to other demographics to switch up the Carb Day concert

Kinda like serving a vegan dinner at the beef producers convention.
    No matter how good it might be it just isn't the right audience.

Blog Entries
    I'm 31 and have literally never heard of Cardi B. Are they a band? IMS has been very clear that they want to keep the same demographic for the carb day band. And the thing is, these "older bands" that were huge 20-30 years ago, appeal to a wide generation of people with songs that just about everyone knows. I saw it a few years ago with Poison, teens and college age people were loving it just as much as the older people who enjoyed the bands in their hey day. Same went for Journey. That's really a much better option, versus going with an act that nobody over 18 has even heard of. Remember, there are also a lot of sponsors and higher ups there as well in the VIP area, and they are probably not gonna enjoy carda b or whoever. A band like KISS is going to put on such a show, that if you there and you have a pulse, you are going to have a great time.

It has to rock!!! No wimpy hip hop.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    I'm 31 and have literally never heard of Cardi B. Are they a band? IMS has been very clear that they want to keep the same demographic for the carb day band. And the thing is, these "older bands" that were huge 20-30 years ago, appeal to a wide generation of people with songs that just about everyone knows. I saw it a few years ago with Poison, teens and college age people were loving it just as much as the older people who enjoyed the bands in their hey day. Same went for Journey. That's really a much better option, versus going with an act that nobody over 18 has even heard of. Remember, there are also a lot of sponsors and higher ups there as well in the VIP area, and they are probably not gonna enjoy carda b or whoever. A band like KISS is going to put on such a show, that if you there and you have a pulse, you are going to have a great time.
    You wrote "pulse" where you meant to write "drunk." Carb Day works as an "old man's rock" concert because the IUPUI students are drunk enough to not care who is playing (they're also drunk enough to not care that they're at an automobile racing track in the first place, or else they'd never be caught dead at an IndyCar practice session/Indy Lights race).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    You wrote "pulse" where you meant to write "drunk." Carb Day works as an "old man's rock" concert because the IUPUI students are drunk enough to not care who is playing (they're also drunk enough to not care that they're at an automobile racing track in the first place, or else they'd never be caught dead at an IndyCar practice session/Indy Lights race).
    Eh, having been to a lot of "old man" rock concerts, IE Kiss, Poison, Aerosmith, ETC. There are always a lot of younger people at these shows. And they know the songs and sing along to them. Why? Because they put on a fun show, everyone knows the songs, and there are no newer acts that offer a similar experience if you like rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder-Tank View Post
    It has to rock!!! No wimpy hip hop.
    Plenty of modern rock bands.

My point is they're not picking these bands based on the college crowd. They're picking them off of what people in their 40-50's were/are into because that is the main demographic.

Steve Miller Band was a negative to me but Journey would have been pretty cool. Some bands age well and others don't.

the Eagles could EASILY add IMS Indy 500 to their current 2018 schedule....
    Have attended: Indy 500 (30), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (2), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (4), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Well don't forget. Carb day entertainment used to be Kenny Bräck and the Subwoofers!
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Not sure why age matters but I’m 40 and I know that Cardi B is a huge performer. She is pretty good too, not my thing but I would like to see it happen for Carb Day.

KC and the Sunshine Band
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

As any live music venue owner or promoter will tell you, a younger audience would be great....but they don't have any money to spend. People in their 40s and 50s do.

Besides, "older" bands like KISS do have plenty of younger fans. Young people have access to literally all the music in the world now, which we didn't; the flavor-of-the-month pop act is a lot less important to them than it was to older generations. That's why you still see teenagers listening to the Beatles, Queen, Bowie, Journey, KISS, GN'R, Nirvana, etc. Good music survives; pop doesn't.

And an outdoor KISS show is a SHOW. It's a rock concert, circus, superhero movie, and fireworks display all rolled into one. They have lots of great tunes, but for KISS that's only half the show.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

I'm going to go with some group of old white straight men I've never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wronkle View Post
    This is the correct choice Cardi B is what IndyCar needs.
    I Agree. Cardi B would be a good choice for the concert. Many Instagram followers to get the word out about the race.

Plenty of modern rock bands.

My point is they're not picking these bands based on the college crowd. They're picking them off of what people in their 40-50's were/are into because that is the main demographic.

Steve Miller Band was a negative to me but Journey would have been pretty cool. Some bands age well and others don't.
    The Black Keys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    I'm going to go with some group of old white straight men I've never heard of.
    sounds like a good plan since that's the majority of people who attend events at IMS

Foo Fighters would be cool. I'd like to see Zak Brown Band. Maybe they could do the Saturday country concert.

Always Correct
    Guns N Roses/Thread
    " You just don't know what Indy means " Little Al

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    I know, like why go with someone current like Mumford and Sons, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars, Childish Gambino, Lorde or SZA. Why reach out to a new generation when Chicago is touring and still has one original band member. I hear there's still one Almon brother alive, and if you give him a wheel chair and some oxygen he can do a few songs. Earth, Wind and Fire's grand children are touring. Something called Hall & Oates are still touring, whatever the heck that is. Apparently there's a band called Iron Maiden and all of their members are still alive, somehow.

Maybe Johann Sebastian Bach is available? He's about as current as any whose name has been thrown out on this thread so far.

I don't know who Kiss is, but I googled them and apparently they're a band of little people who wear makeup. Old people are strange.

All the Almon Brothers brothers are dead.

That's as far as I got on your post, before spinning up In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.
    Vive la Republique.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary the Møøse View Post
    All the Almon Brothers brothers are dead.
    No one cares about them.

Both of the Allman brothers, however, have passed away. Duane in 1971 and Gregg earlier this year. The band dissolved a few years ago.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

I know, like why go with someone current like Mumford and Sons, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars, Childish Gambino, Lorde or SZA. Why reach out to a new generation when Chicago is touring and still has one original band member. I hear there's still one Almon brother alive, and if you give him a wheel chair and some oxygen he can do a few songs. Earth, Wind and Fire's grand children are touring. Something called Hall & Oates are still touring, whatever the heck that is. Apparently there's a band called Iron Maiden and all of their members are still alive, somehow.

Maybe Johann Sebastian Bach is available? He's about as current as any whose name has been thrown out on this thread so far.

I don't know who Kiss is, but I googled them and apparently they're a band of little people who wear makeup. Old people are strange.

You are exactly the kind of music fan we are not interested in making happy.

Quote Originally Posted by aeron View Post

[paulstanleyvoice]"who wants a little kiss?!?[/paulstanleyvoice]

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    You are exactly the kind of music fan we are not interested in making happy.
    If by in the desired demographic and have a sizable disposable income, then yeah, why would you want to include those people in your sport.

If they brought in a relevant band I might come in on Thursday and camp. Most likely, if I go to Indy for the 500 it'll be a one-day trip. I can fly in and out of Indy on the same day for like $220 and I understand they run shuttles to the track and back on raceday.

If by in the desired demographic and have a sizable disposable income, then yeah, why would you want to include those people in your sport.

If they brought in a relevant band I might come in on Thursday and camp. Most likely, if I go to Indy for the 500 it'll be a one-day trip. I can fly in and out of Indy on the same day for like $220 and I understand they run shuttles to the track and back on raceday.
    Doesn't matter. He won't be there.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder-Tank View Post
    The Black Keys!!!
    YES! I'm almost 54 and I dig ​The Black Keys.