Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Carb Day Band - Who is it Gonna Be?

Warrant.

I know and work from time to time with the original bass player who quit before they hit it big. 

"She's my Cherry Pie"!
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Def Leppard might be a crowd pleaser, and available at the right price for IMS

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Warrant.

I know and work from time to time with the original bass player who quit before they hit it big. 

"She's my Cherry Pie"!
    Isn't the lead singer dead?

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    Isn't the lead singer dead?
    That does not seem to matter, the 38 special band that came to IMS only had a few originals, also Journey that came to IMS had a replacement lead singer.
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    That does not seem to matter, the 38 special band that came to IMS only had a few originals, also Journey that came to IMS had a replacement lead singer.
    True, I guess I'm not up to date on Warrant - I wrongly assumed the band ended w/ his death.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    True, I guess I'm not up to date on Warrant - I wrongly assumed the band ended w/ his death.
    Depends on how you define "ended."

Warrant and most bands like them really ended when Nirvana's Nevermind came out.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    If by in the desired demographic and have a sizable disposable income, then yeah, why would you want to include those people in your sport.
    Anyone who thinks rock music needs to fit some hipster definition of "relevant" simply doesn't understand what music is for.

It's like people who "try to be cool." If you have to try to be cool, you can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Depends on how you define "ended."

Warrant and most bands like them really ended when Nirvana's Nevermind came out.

I remember seeing Jani Lane interviewed and he said during Warrant's heyday he went into the record company's office and they had a giant "Cherry Pie" artwork on the wall. Next time he went in it was the Alice in Chains Dirt album cover.
    Last edited by carl_fisher_78; 12-15-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    If by in the desired demographic...
    Is this English?
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    He single-handedly saved the sport. The man is a marketing genius.

Would you buy a book on how to become rich and powerful from this man?
    Gene's new book.

“I want to shake you up and tell, you a real harsh truth: The world doesn’t need you,” he says. “The only way you’re going to become rich and powerful is if you stand up on your hind legs. You’re only going to get the respect you demand.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.daac43d55eab

If it's KISS, I'll pass and spend my money elsewhere. The same for Def Leppard. Extremely overrated.

I would come watch Alice in Chains. What about Stone Temple Pilots? They have a new lead singer, a new album and a new tour starting.

IF they could land the Foo Fighters, the crowd turnout would be huge. They could easily have attendance numbers close to or even more than the Rolling Stone concert.

Quote Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
    If it's KISS, I'll pass and spend my money elsewhere. The same for Def Leppard. Extremely overrated.

I would come watch Alice in Chains. What about Stone Temple Pilots? They have a new lead singer, a new album and a new tour starting.

IF they could land the Foo Fighters, the crowd turnout would be huge. They could easily have attendance numbers close to or even more than the Rolling Stone concert.
    STP did Carb Day in 2008: http://www.gettyimages.com/event/mil...ure-id81219278

Foo Fighters would be sweet, but I like KISS too, and Def Leppard even more.
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters, or I ain’t going!

Blog Entries
    KISS puts on a great show. You don't have to be a fan of their music to enjoy it; you just have to have an open mind and not go in with your mind made up that you will hate it. If you do that, I guarantee anyone would have a good time.

Blog Entries
    For your entertainment, no other reason, this entry from an artist friend of mine in Portland who grew up in, we'll just say, Morgan County. Enjoy:

https://alfredeaker.com/2017/12/14/h...the-park-1978/

Quote Originally Posted by SeeUinMay View Post
    Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters, or I ain’t going!
    I am Spartacus.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by SeeUinMay View Post
    Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters, or I ainít going!
    Donnie Baker and The Pork Pistols, or I ain't going. State law, look it up.

Foo Fighters would easily be the biggest draw, bridging the gaps between all of the bands ever playing carb day and the broad range of attendees. Bring FF to IMS with a carb day admission price, and you will easily have 60-70K in attendance just for the concert alone. Their tour schedule is open that day .
    "Itís a four-turn road course. Itís not an oval, and there are four different corners there. If you are a good oval driver, it doesnít matter there" -TK

Anyone who thinks rock music needs to fit some hipster definition of "relevant" simply doesn't understand what music is for.

It's like people who "try to be cool." If you have to try to be cool, you can't be.
    No, "Relevant," means current, as in still creating original music and not not just coasting on on one or two hits for 40 years ago, and if they were an 80's band, their 40th anniversary is coming up, soon

Blog Entries
    No, "Relevant," means current, as in still creating original music and not not just coasting on on one or two hits for 40 years ago, and if they were an 80's band, their 40th anniversary is coming up, soon
    One or two hits? KISS has more gold records than any other band in American history and have had countless hits. Their last album was released 5 years ago and did well by today's standards. KISS are very much relevant today, and they have had more hits/sold more records than any of the more contemporary acts listed in this thread will in their entire careers. Think any of those hip hop/pop acts will still be around in 40 years? Guess again.

Quote Originally Posted by sherold View Post
    Foo Fighters would easily be the biggest draw, bridging the gaps between all of the bands ever playing carb day and the broad range of attendees. Bring FF to IMS with a carb day admission price, and you will easily have 60-70K in attendance just for the concert alone. Their tour schedule is open that day .
    I've been saying this for years. Foo Fighters would tick all the boxes. The concert crowd would be immense.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I've been saying this for years. Foo Fighters would tick all the boxes. The concert crowd would be immense.
    I'm not personally a fan of Foo Fighters, but yeah I can admit they would be a good choice for IMS. However, as others have mentioned, out of the price range for carb day and likely would be a much better candidate for a standalone concert at IMS.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    One or two hits? KISS has more gold records than any other band in American history and have had countless hits. Their last album was released 5 years ago and did well by today's standards. KISS are very much relevant today, and they have had more hits/sold more records than any of the more contemporary acts listed in this thread will in their entire careers. Think any of those hip hop/pop acts will still be around in 40 years? Guess again.
    Perhaps Gene and the Band can sign a long-term deal to be the carb day band every year. Starts a new tradition, has Indiana ties, etc. How can it miss?

As any live music venue owner or promoter will tell you, a younger audience would be great....but they don't have any money to spend. People in their 40s and 50s do.

Besides, "older" bands like KISS do have plenty of younger fans. Young people have access to literally all the music in the world now, which we didn't; the flavor-of-the-month pop act is a lot less important to them than it was to older generations. That's why you still see teenagers listening to the Beatles, Queen, Bowie, Journey, KISS, GN'R, Nirvana, etc. Good music survives; pop doesn't.

And an outdoor KISS show is a SHOW. It's a rock concert, circus, superhero movie, and fireworks display all rolled into one. They have lots of great tunes, but for KISS that's only half the show.
    Well said indeed.
    Counting down to my 31st Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

You what they could do, as a compromise, is book The Struts. Their lead singer sounds like Freddie Mercury, so the grey hairs could relieve their youth by listening to something that sounds like a Queen cover band, but is actually a relevant, current band, that will appeal to the younger demo that Indycar needs to recruit.

Seriously though, I don't get why Baby Boomers and Gen-X don't keep up with music. It's the same genre, just constantly evolving. Like if you like guitar rock Barnes Courtney is as good as or better than Bruce Springsteen, or anyone else in that genre. Cold War Kids are as good as a rock band as anything there's ever done. KISS put on a good show back in the day? Great, they've got nothing on Lady GaGa and other performers who have surpassed them.

I like some oldies acts from my Dad's time; Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, and Matchbox Twenty had some good songs, but they've gone stale.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I am Spartacus.
    The Oh-Nee-Ders...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

I like some oldies acts from my Dad's time; Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, and Matchbox Twenty had some good songs, but they've gone stale.

John Mellencamp.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Seriously though, I don't get why Baby Boomers and Gen-X don't keep up with music. It's the same genre, just constantly evolving. Like if you like guitar rock Barnes Courtney is as good as or better than Bruce Springsteen, or anyone else in that genre. Cold War Kids are as good as a rock band as anything there's ever done. KISS put on a good show back in the day? Great, they've got nothing on Lady GaGa and other performers who have surpassed them.

Give it another 20 years.

You'll understand.
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

You what they could do, as a compromise, is book The Struts. Their lead singer sounds like Freddie Mercury, so the grey hairs could relieve their youth by listening to something that sounds like a Queen cover band, but is actually a relevant, current band, that will appeal to the younger demo that Indycar needs to recruit.

Are you 13?