Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Carb Day Band - Who is it Gonna Be?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Give it another 20 years.

You'll understand.
    Yep, and he’ll find he still “keeps up” with plenty of music, just not that which is aimed at teenagers or twenty somethings. At 48 I go to more concerts and buy more music (including newer/current bands) than I did at a younger age because I can, but with rare exceptions they aren’t putting out music that kids will be hearing.
    Eff LBD!

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    "You wanted the best, you got the best. The hottest band in the world - Kiss"

Featuring the bassist who invented the term "Indycar". Gene Simmons
    Mr. Simmons has other matters to attend to that may complicate things a bit.

Gene Simmons Is Accused Of Sexual Battery After ‘Unwanted Sexual Advances’ During An Interview Last Month
    http://uproxx.com/news/gene-simmons-...y-accusations/
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    No disrespect to any and all fans of KISS here, but nothing Mr Simmons did or does would surprise me.

He always comes off as an entitled D-bag cursed with a massive ego and a my way or the highway attitude.

Did he do it? No idea. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did.

JMO
    Last edited by KevMcNJ; 12-17-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    "If Brian France sold tractors, people would quit farming." -attackforumfan

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    As any live music venue owner or promoter will tell you, a younger audience would be great....but they don't have any money to spend. People in their 40s and 50s do.

Besides, "older" bands like KISS do have plenty of younger fans. Young people have access to literally all the music in the world now, which we didn't; the flavor-of-the-month pop act is a lot less important to them than it was to older generations. That's why you still see teenagers listening to the Beatles, Queen, Bowie, Journey, KISS, GN'R, Nirvana, etc. Good music survives; pop doesn't.

And an outdoor KISS show is a SHOW. It's a rock concert, circus, superhero movie, and fireworks display all rolled into one. They have lots of great tunes, but for KISS that's only half the show.
    Yeah, Paul McCartney visited an elementary school in New York a few years ago and talked to the students there. He then went to the auditorium and with a guitar in hand did a one-man concert. He was fearing that the fourth graders would be bored with old Beatles songs, but they not knew the songs, they were singing them along with him!

Whenever someone brings up their favorite little hipster band as a Carb Day act, I don't think they understand that what IMS seems to be looking for is to bring in a big, beer-drinking, broad-based, cross-generational party crowd for a reasonable price. And most of the younger acts that they mention just can't really headline an event like that in a way that makes profitable sense for a venue like Carb Day at IMS. They're good musicians, but they're not a draw. The biggest draws, of course, would be bands like Foo Fighters, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, etc. But the budget to pay them clearly isn't there. Bands like KISS, Journey, Poison, etc. that have been around for a long time are both good draws and affordable. They put on a good show with songs almost everybody knows, the crowds are the type that are going to show up in droves and buy a lot of beer, food and merch, and since the price is lower, the profit margin will be better. The younger acts may play for the same or lower price, but they'd have a harder time pulling in the crowd and selling the beer and T-shirts that the older bands can, thus hurting the bottom line.

Besides, anyone who wants to join the younger crowd can always hit the new "Snake Pit" and catch the DJs playing there.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Blog Entries
    Whenever someone brings up their favorite little hipster band as a Carb Day act, I don't think they understand that what IMS seems to be looking for is to bring in a big, beer-drinking, broad-based, cross-generational party crowd for a reasonable price. And most of the younger acts that they mention just can't really headline an event like that in a way that makes profitable sense for a venue like Carb Day at IMS. They're good musicians, but they're not a draw. The biggest draws, of course, would be bands like Foo Fighters, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, etc. But the budget to pay them clearly isn't there. Bands like KISS, Journey, Poison, etc. that have been around for a long time are both good draws and affordable. They put on a good show with songs almost everybody knows, the crowds are the type that are going to show up in droves and buy a lot of beer, food and merch, and since the price is lower, the profit margin will be better. The younger acts may play for the same or lower price, but they'd have a harder time pulling in the crowd and selling the beer and T-shirts that the older bands can, thus hurting the bottom line.

Besides, anyone who wants to join the younger crowd can always hit the new "Snake Pit" and catch the DJs playing there.
    Yep, there is something for everyone on race weekend. Rock n roll, country, EDM/hipster music. Most all age groups are well represented. Not sure there’s any need to change any of it, as it’s clearly working.

Bands like KISS, Journey, Poison, etc. that have been around for a long time are both good draws and affordable
    Honestly, the only band on that list I've heard of is Journey, and that's only because one of my friend's dad is the drummer in a Journey tribute band. Also, I wanna say Poison was the band that did, "Boy that girl is poison," which is a good song, and that would be great, because they're an African American R&B quartet, and I am all for some diversity in the music selection.

Also, not everyone under 30 likes EMD, where it's like, "Hey everyone, come listen some pre-recorded music on my laptop."

Royal Blood
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    Also, I wanna say Poison was the band that did, "Boy that girl is poison," which is a good song, and that would be great, because they're an African American R&B quartet, and I am all for some diversity in the music selection.
    Brett Michaels is a black guy?

I didn't know

Honestly, the only band on that list I've heard of is Journey, and that's only because one of my friend's dad is the drummer in a Journey tribute band. Also, I wanna say Poison was the band that did, "Boy that girl is poison," which is a good song, and that would be great, because they're an African American R&B quartet, and I am all for some diversity in the music selection.

Also, not everyone under 30 likes EMD, where it's like, "Hey everyone, come listen some pre-recorded music on my laptop."
    Please tell me you're joking.

Please tell me you're joking.
    Must be goofing on us.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

No disrespect to any and all fans of KISS here, but nothing Mr Simmons did or does would surprise me.

He always comes off as an entitled D-bag cursed with a massive ego and a my way or the highway attitude.

JMO
    You hit the nail on the head. Doesnt change the fact that they put on an awesome live show.
    Counting down to my 31st Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Hope this is a joke but if you have only ever heard of Journey because of a tribute band then you are either 12 years old or in a musical bubble. Step outside the bubble and you will quickly realize that music predates iTunes and it is pretty freaking awesome.

Hence, Cardi B. Neither a little hipster band nor an old man's rock group. The perfect balance to please everyone.

JMO
    No different than any other entertainer, including all of them who have played on carb day. Speak to any manager from House of Blues or other similar venue and the stories they will tell you will blow your mind.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by HCNFAN View Post
    No different than any other entertainer, including all of them who have played on carb day. Speak to any manager from House of Blues or other similar venue and the stories they will tell you will blow your mind.
    I think it is a bit different with Mr. Simmons. IMO, he wears his arrogance on his sleeve a bit more than most, almost like it is a badge of honor and part of his persona. Whether or not he is any worse than others (and I've met a number of pretty high level musicians over the years - they are not all arrogant azzhats, though some certainly are) may not matter when he makes a point of playing it up at times.

Shouldn't you be on Snapchat or something?

Quote Originally Posted by HCNFAN View Post
    No different than any other entertainer...
    That is nowhere close to being true.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    True, I guess I'm not up to date on Warrant - I wrongly assumed the band ended w/ his death.
    Janie Lane hadn't been their singer since 2008. They have played a big 80's festival here more than once without him. Same with Foreigner without Lou Reed. Lou isn't dead, but the last time I saw him with Foreigner, he sure looked close to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    Yep, and he’ll find he still “keeps up” with plenty of music, just not that which is aimed at teenagers or twenty somethings. At 48 I go to more concerts and buy more music (including newer/current bands) than I did at a younger age because I can, but with rare exceptions they aren’t putting out music that kids will be hearing.
    I went to 17 shows last year. Most of the bands weren't even born in the 80's or 90's for that matter. I keep up with plenty of current music. Unfortunately, most of the "current" music sucks, especially anything even close to mainstream, It doesn't matter what genre it is.

Poison is a name of a band, you have them confused with Bell, Biv, Devoe, which sang the song called Poison.
    I like Ren and chevy. I don't care much for djski. That's my 'scientific' poll of one. - -Mannishboy-

Blog Entries

Bell Biv Devoe (essentially what was left of New Edition minus Bobby Brown) sang (That girl is) Poison in 1990. Those guys are all in their early 50's now. I worked a New Edition show when I was a college freshman in 1984.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    Hence, Cardi B. Neither a little hipster band nor an old man's rock group. The perfect balance to please everyone.
    Pass the pepto... I'm vomiting right now. Have you been to carb day?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    I went to 17 shows last year. Most of the bands weren't even born in the 80's or 90's for that matter. I keep up with plenty of current music. Unfortunately, most of the "current" music sucks, especially anything even close to mainstream, It doesn't matter what genre it is.
    I don't quite agree at all that most of the current music sucks, but I agree as it pertains to much of the current mainstream stuff (as an old dude, it isn't exactly aimed at me - it was always aimed at younger people). I've listened to more and more new bands over the last decade, particularly over the last few years and have found a number of acts I really like. They just aren't popular and many wouldn't fill a small theater, let alone make sense for a large show.

One of the nice things about getting older is having the money, if not always the flexibility, to go and see bands I wouldn't have made the effort to do so as a younger person because I couldn't afford to. I still like to see a lot of my long term bands, and even old ones I'd never seen before, but I like seeing new ones, as well. Getting a bit older is good for that if it is a priority (I go to fewer and fewer live sporting events outside of college and an occasional Packer game anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    I think one thing that tends to be forgotten is the crappy stuff gets filtered out as time goes on where it hasn't yet from the present.

Blog Entries
    That would come much closer to pleasing no one, versus pleasing everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    That would come much closer to pleasing no one, versus pleasing everyone.
    Very, very true. The key is a band that appeals to a wide demographic which is why these 70-80s acts fit the bill. They have stood the test of time, are NOT one hit wonders, a recognizable by the mainstream, have a library of recognizable music and are at a point in their career where they are affordable to the promoter. They do not need to go after an act that a large portion of the carb day demographic has to google to find out who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Hope this is a joke but if you have only ever heard of Journey because of a tribute band then you are either 12 years old or in a musical bubble. Step outside the bubble and you will quickly realize that music predates iTunes and it is pretty freaking awesome.
    I love if you don't know or like the old music you're considered ignorant, but if you're living in the past and don't know who D'Angelo is you get a pass. If you haven't heard anything from his Black Messiah, you're living in the past.

Blog Entries
    Good. If you can't understand the boundary between what is acceptable flirting and what is sexual harassment, then you shouldn't talk to people of the gender(s) to which you are attracted. They'll probably be relieved to no longer hear from you.

I honestly have no problem with older acts, but they never pick good older acts. Goofy songs with terrible, simplistic lyrics and dumb gimmicks performed by people who do not sound good live. As it were, there was great songwriting among their contemporaries, and many of those musicians still sound great today. They could do better, even if the hard rule is "acts that were popular 30–40 years ago."
    They are picking the perfect acts to go along with a party atmosphere. The music is basically the soundtrack for the gigantic party that is carb day. It’s not a serious musical event. It’s a chance for people to let loose, have some drinks, and sing along to songs that they know. Bands like KISS, Poison, etc are perfect for this. I guarantee no one in the crowd will be complaining.