Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Carb Day Band - Who is it Gonna Be?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    They are picking the perfect acts to go along with a party atmosphere. The music is basically the soundtrack for the gigantic party that is carb day. Itís not a serious musical event. Itís a chance for people to let loose, have some drinks, and sing along to songs that they know. Bands like KISS, Poison, etc are perfect for this. I guarantee no one in the crowd will be complaining.
    If it's not a serious musical event, and just a soundtrack for a gigantic party, why can't the soundtrack be Cardi B or one of Aeron's bands? I mean, you can let loose and have some drinks and sing along to them, too.

But to be less adversarial, there are plenty of "fun" bands with songs most people know who can still sound great and have some substance behind the hits. The 80s was a great time for that model, if it has to be something older. I don't know; I just think you could be a little less tacky than KISS without losing the "party" atmosphere.

As for no complaints, people in the crowd generally won't complain because the people who don't enjoy that kind of show won't be there. The Carb Day concert usually just makes me sad because you can tell the performer needs to earn a living and has no other way to really do so, but is just embarrassing themselves at this point.

(In all honesty, I don't care who plays Carb Day. It's been years since I've gone. I just like to stir **** up, and it was fun to see how the forum reacted to the suggestion of Cardi B).

Blog Entries
    Carb day is a big, fun, dumb rock show. Doesn’t matter how old the performers are. They are still making good money and playing to big crowds, so why would they stop? Nothing embarrassing about it. Still being able to make a very good living and perform around the world to huge crowds is actually something to be very proud of, and it’s a testament to the music. I get it, not everyone likes rock n roll and these bands have always been pretty polarizing, since the beginning. But they also have a lot of fans who love the music all these years later. Most of them are still putting on very good shows with more energy than the newer acts.

Clearly some people here have never actually played in a band before.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    True, I guess I'm not up to date on Warrant - I wrongly assumed the band ended w/ his death.
    My old band opened for them in 2012. Their new singer is a good replacement, and they put a decent show on. I thought they would have more of a following, but many people I talked to lost interest in them once the original singer passed.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder."

15 G. Rahal
    7 J. Hinchcliffe
    83 C. Kimball

Luis Fonsi

4,531,775,393 youtube views can't be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    I love if you don't know or like the old music you're considered ignorant, but if you're living in the past and don't know who D'Angelo is you get a pass. If you haven't heard anything from his Black Messiah, you're living in the past.
    An oddly specific example, but okay. You don't have to like older music, but your "Poison" description comes off as a bit disingenuous. You know R & B enough to know who D'Angelo is, but you don't know who sang "Poison"?

Quote Originally Posted by Djski442 View Post
    Poison is a name of a band, you have them confused with Bell, Biv, Devoe, which sang the song called Poison.
    Now you know.

Unless he was referring to Alice Cooper's "Poison". Though probably not.
    ďAmerica is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.Ē - Eleanor Roosevelt

Carb Day is a party day for a very diverse demographic. The bands they have chosen reflect that. I've said it before but its worth repeating. Recognizable name act, Recognizable music library, NOT 1-2 hit wonder, Appeal to that diverse demographic, Mainstream radio airplay (i.e. classic rock), A song or two that "everybody" recognizes. None of these new acts meet these criteria. The formula that IMS has used to get acts is solid and the attendance bears that out.
    Counting down to my 31st Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

I love if you don't know or like the old music you're considered ignorant, but if you're living in the past and don't know who D'Angelo is you get a pass. If you haven't heard anything from his Black Messiah, you're living in the past.
    If you think D'Angelo has anywhere near as much cultural relevance or fame as Journey, you are from another planet.

I would bank on Kiss. Like stated earlier, all but a done deal last year until schedule wasn’t workable. The guy who started the Kiss Army lives in Speedway and is neighbors with a buddy of mine. He stays in touch with Gene and is saying the same thing for this year, sounds like Kiss is the front runner. I know I’d be there, Kiss was the first show I ever saw, August of 1979 at Market Square Arena! Left their mark on an 8 year old! “SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!”
    I Love May!

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Also, I wanna say Poison was the band that did, "Boy that girl is poison," which is a good song, and that would be great
    Sometimes I just come here for the unintentional comedy. This is one of those times.

wishes it was May
    Blog Entries
    Marillion. Transatlantic to open. Book 'em.

Sorry, just had to get a vote in. Proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    Marillion. Transatlantic to open. Book 'em.

Sorry, just had to get a vote in. Proceed.
    Well, it'll be you, me, and a few buddies of mine all alone in a big field. But it'd be glorious.

May as well get Fish to open as well.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Blog Entries
    Toss in the Black Keys for the trifecta. Might even turn a small profit that way.

wishes it was May
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Well, it'll be you, me, and a few buddies of mine all alone in a big field. But it'd be glorious.

May as well get Fish to open as well.
    I like the way you think, Good Sir...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie19 View Post
    I would bank on Kiss. Like stated earlier, all but a done deal last year until schedule wasn’t workable. The guy who started the Kiss Army lives in Speedway and is neighbors with a buddy of mine. He stays in touch with Gene and is saying the same thing for this year, sounds like Kiss is the front runner. I know I’d be there, Kiss was the first show I ever saw, August of 1979 at Market Square Arena! Left their mark on an 8 year old! “SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!”
    Great news, bring on KISS. I love it loud!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Clearly some people here have never actually played in a band before.
    I'm sure it's still possible to be a worthy human being though.
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

It's going to be "Foo Fighters" and "Guided by Voices".
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdkiel View Post
    I'm sure it's still possible to be a worthy human being though.
    I was responding to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    The Carb Day concert usually just makes me sad because you can tell the performer needs to earn a living and has no other way to really do so, but is just embarrassing themselves at this point.

Never heard of her.
    Last edited by MoparsRule; 12-29-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder-Tank View Post
    GBV is playing in Indy on April 14th.

Foo Fighters would be huge, but they're playing Indy on 7/26.

wishes it was May
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder-Tank View Post

Never heard of Guided By Voices but the little voices in my head are telling me that it will be Kiss. Kiss Army to bivouac in the North End.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    The National opening for Arcade Fire. That’s my choice if I get to pick.

Of course that’s always my pick.

Steel Panther. They would be perfect for Carb Day but might not be a big enough name but man, that would be the type of crowd they would play to.

If not them, why not try to get Ozzy out here?

I vote we have Kenny Brack open.

2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Blog Entries
    Guns N' Roses
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Quote Originally Posted by slompappy View Post
    Guns N' Roses
    Winners of the Billboard Touring Award for Top Tour/Top Draw for 2017.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/e...ners-list-2017

Quote Originally Posted by its_meatball View Post
    Steel Panther. They would be perfect for Carb Day but might not be a big enough name but man, that would be the type of crowd they would play to.

If not them, why not try to get Ozzy out here?
    Steel Panther is way too offensive for Carb Day.

Ozzy I could see, but isn't retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by slompappy View Post
    Guns N' Roses
    Probably the only band mentioned that would cost as much or more than Foo Fighters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Winners of the Billboard Touring Award for Top Tour/Top Draw for 2017.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/e...ners-list-2017

Saw them in 2016 and 2017 and both times were excellent