Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seventhgear.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    Does anybody even bat an eyelash at the fact that this particular forum is known as 'rev-ed's Verizon IndyCar Series'?
    If they have, it was in the woods and no one heard it.
    "George Bignott's Sinmast Wildcat; delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billd View Post
    Ris still exists as a website. I visit it every now and then.
    I know a couple of folks that write for RIS. Smart people and beautiful photography.

Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    I had a (sort of) long post typed out detailing the history of the various open-wheel websites.
    But I doubt anyone is interested.

In short I don't know if this is what you were getting at or not, but yes - Mark C. started Seventhgear.com before moving onto Autoracing1.com
    Sip Baloney was out there!
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    BiF was fantastic. “Goin’ to the Irl race, takin’ some whisky and ham sammiches. We ain’t leavin’ Till we’re heavin’ “
    BiF was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
    Seventhgear was a good site and had a lot of great racing fans. I spent a lot of time there and it was nothing like the cesspool that was the old Indystar forums. When it died, a group of them moved to offcamber but that place eventually eroded into a crawagonlight type site. I was as much behind CART as anyone, but when the merger occurred and the drivers and teams put it behind, there wasn’t much reason to continue the fight. For rolling in the gutter, I think smackedforum is still around.
    Wow, this thread is taking me back in time. 7G was a cool place for race fans to gather. I remember when they were races they had this live chat thing going on, it was cool and new back in the day.

The Indycar forums were pretty much unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    first place I ever posted
    I remember you posting there.

For rolling in the gutter, I think smackedforum is still around.
    I just went and checked this site out. It is one hell of a place...

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    I cut my forum teeth on the old ESPN boards. They were underrated in their decent into cesspool chaos.
    Iirc, you and I came over here to TF, from the ESPN Boards at the same time!🤔😉 That place could devolve from green grass, to septic tank overflow in less than 2 posts!
    Will Buxton to Lotus Engineer: Why isn't Pastor going anywhere?

Lotus Engineer to Buxton:
    Pastor isn't moving due to a "very high carbon distress level", caused by a Dukes of Hazzard moment!

But that's just my opinion!

Blog Entries
    seventh gear ended quickly with a strange conclusion, many went to crapwagon and it changed to champcar fanatics, many of the crapwagon posters were banned and champcar fanatics became a much less annoying place , champcar fanatics picked up 100s of new members which included the series owners , management , and team members,, it was read by a lot of folks world wide,
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

How many of those new members got the countdown?

seventh gear ended quickly with a strange conclusion, many went to crapwagon and it changed to champcar fanatics, many of the crapwagon posters were banned...
    Did Cornbread ever get that money?
    professional assessor of sanity

seventh gear ended quickly with a strange conclusion, many went to crapwagon and it changed to champcar fanatics, many of the crapwagon posters were banned and champcar fanatics became a much less annoying place , champcar fanatics picked up 100s of new members which included the series owners , management , and team members,, it was read by a lot of folks world wide,
    Wasn't champcarfanatics Fuzzy/Zero's site? That guy was a riot.
    I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
    Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    I sided with CART initially, but eventually became a fan of the IRL as well. 7th gear wasn't cool for people who were fans of both series.

I never got counted down there, but I switched to trackforum.

Quote Originally Posted by goner View Post
    I got the countdown after abut 10 minutes on crapwagon for suggesting that the IRL wasn't entirely evil. That was a wacky bunch (and I consider myself a CART guy).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goes211 View Post
    Did Cornbread ever get that money?
    what does that mean,, forgot that one

Ignorance was bliss for me up until 2005 when I got my first computer. I didn't know anything about the internet forums. IndyCarGarage was my introduction to the racing forums. I was one of the first 200 members, everybody setup their own page and it was a great time. I made a couple good friends there. I would hook up with CC8820 at St. Pete and we would shag photos together. It was a great community until a sudden influx of membership occurred. It went from 200 members to 500 overnight. And overnight, my problem started with some boisterous loud mouth screaming for nothing but ovals, 3 wide, 230 mph, and putting people down. At the same time, IRL put on that crap show finale at RIR. That is what sent me over the moon. I got booted from the Garage and I landed on y'alls doorstep with a big chip on my shoulder.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by brundle View Post
    Wow. Think it's the first place I ever posted, too.
    Had some fun times w/7th gear owner and rest of people who posted there...
    "If you go, you can either win or not win. If you don't go for it, you definitely won't win." Jens Voigt

Is there a general bias at Smackedforum?

Are the posters primary pro- or anti-TG?

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post

From what I can tell, it is overwhelmingly pro-CART and very anti-TrackForum. There are entire threads devoted to ripping on posters and threads on here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    From what I can tell, it is overwhelmingly pro-CART and very anti-TrackForum. There are entire threads devoted to ripping on posters and threads on here.
    I got death threats

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post

Smackedforum is derivative of Smackforum, which is parody of the name of this place. This place was seen as the IRL friendly forum during the split, and the forums others have listed as being on the CART side of the divide. Smackforum became the id of the CART fans in some sort of holy war over rich people's racing cars against a limited group of super-partisans here and in related forums. The split ended a decade ago. Even the sports car split in the US has been over and done with for like 5 years. Imagine still caring enough under those circumstances to be mad at something you proclaim to not care about any more.

Understanding the split, its causes, and its results is important if you want to understand the motivation of individual posters online or to compare the pre-split CART era to the present. But at a fundamental level, what does it matter if IMS makes a change that's something akin to or obviously similar to something CART did? No smart businessman or investor ever sits there and says, "This is opposite of the desires of 3 CEOs ago, so I am mad about it." The people who've been arguing the same nonsense for 25 years aren't about to convert now either, even if you had Roger Penske or Tony George come to their house and tell them how they were wrong.
    Last edited by VirtualBalboa; 01-06-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigar1 View Post
    I sided with CART initially, but eventually became a fan of the IRL as well. 7th gear wasn't cool for people who were fans of both series.

I never got counted down there, but I switched to trackforum.
    I don’t recall seventhgear counting down anyone. The countdown was more of a crapwagon.com thing.

I don’t recall seventhgear counting down anyone. The countdown was more of a crapwagon.com thing.
    What is "counting down?"

Counting down as in 5 4 3 etc. It was used as a way to ban posters.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Counting down as in 5 4 3 etc. It was used as a way to ban posters.
    Pretty much got used on anyone who posted anything not saying CART was the greatest series that ever existed on earth and that all the ills of aforementioned earth were the direct responsibility of Tony George.
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by jandj View Post
    Pretty much got used on anyone who posted anything not saying CART was the greatest series that ever existed on earth and that all the ills of aforementioned earth were the direct responsibility of Tony George.
    To be accurate, the countdown site was mainly about (the Kalkhoven owned) ChampCar and not CART. I got counted down as a CART fan who pointed out that, at that time, the IRL actually had a more open set of technical rules than ChampCar. It wasn't ideological with them. It was (is?) merely tribal.

I got death threats
    Didn't you threaten to get people fired?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpstop View Post
    complete myth , or should I say complete lie,

Administratively Fooled and On Vacation Sybil D. Sobydianz's Avatar
    Schooled with a strap right across my back
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpstop View Post
    I think that was someone else.
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Møøse.

So, anyone here "eyeing" acquiring the domain name?
    "You just don't know what aero-kits mean"